FEKHUGE
- 2 (10%)
I dream of profits because I'm secretly Salviosi
- 4 (20%)
Of Kinetic Sheep
- 11 (55%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 59

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Abbera Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 78746 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Industrialized Warfare: Abbera Thread / 1914 A.C. Cold Season (Design Phase)
« Reply #615 on: December 30, 2018, 05:11:45 pm »

DESIGN
RSN 191X “Icarus” Combat Superiority Flier (4): Happerry, Jerick, Frostgiant, TFF
Don't Use Credit: Happery, Jerick, TFF, Kashyyk
Use Credit: Frostgiant

Bardiche (3): D7, Doomblade, Kashyyk
Don't Use Credit: D7, Doomblade, Kashyyk
Use Credit:

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Industrialized Warfare: Abbera Thread / 1914 A.C. Cold Season (Design Phase)
« Reply #616 on: December 30, 2018, 07:43:41 pm »

Votes locked, going for Kid Icarus with No Credit

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Industrialized Warfare: Abbera Thread / 1914 A.C. Cold Season (Revision Phase)
« Reply #617 on: December 30, 2018, 09:37:35 pm »

Year 1914 A.C. Cold Season, Design Phase

Proposal: RSN1914 "Icarus" Combat Superiority Flier
RSN 191X “Icarus” Combat Superiority Flier

The Icarus is derived from the technological advancements made by the Orleans Sky Corvette and improvements in gravitational manipulation to to construct an advanced new Flier .

The core of the Flier is its 5.85 meter long teardrop shaped fuselage made of aluminum and kinetic wool-resin plates, with C-Steel for extra armor. The pilot is in a cockpit with an enclosed bubble canopy of reinforced glass that is mounted forward the nose to provide maximum visibility. At the head of the fuselage 4 Scythe machine guns with 700 Rounds per gun, and twin Halberd AT rifles with 10 rounds of ammunition each. These are each rigged to separate triggers for cannons and machine guns for the pilot. Behind the pilot in the center of the fuselage is a bomb bay able to carry two loads 100 kg of bombs which can be released independently. Bomb-loads are comprised of hand grenades, or 80mm HE shells. Behind that in the center of the fuselage is the engine/power supply, using a Gavrilium Generator with spark pack supercharger to increase performance. Behind this is an electric turbine that feeds in air via an air scoop under the fuselage on either side and a C-Rod to help provide more lift.

The wings of the Flier are mounted double stacked and biplane configuration behind the cockpit. They are made of aluminium and C-Steel for structure, and covered in a kinetic wool-resin plates plus more C-Steel for armor to provide strength and protection. In the center of each wing is both an electric turbine and a Caelium Powder Rod gravitic drive. Caelium Crystal is also mounted in these engine pods to reduce the strain on the structure. These are mounted in teardrop shaped structures to protect their inner workings. The wings themselves also mount wire controlled maneuvering slats.

Other features of the Icarus include Kinetic wool and C-Steel protection of key components. Metallic surfaces on the wings and outer fuselage will be coated with C-Powder to further reduce weight. The cockpit also has a gun-sight for its weapons. The turbines are to be improved as well to increase speed.

The final feature of this design is the (non)optional launch mechanism: the Kinetic Impulse Transfer Engine. Using a launch cradle that mounts under the center of the Icarus attached to a 50m track that can be elevated from a 15 degree to 45 degree arc. This track is propelled by firing 1 to 3 430mm solid shot shell in the opposite direction to quickly and rapidly launch an Icarus Flier. the shell casing is fixed to the track, as to ensure transfer of force.

Goal statement for the Icarus
-Improve the power of the turbines
-Cost is aimed at being Very Expensive, don't cut corners for cost.
-Speed is the focus over maneuverability
-Intended to have VTOL capability
-Bomb bays can just be stuffed full of hand grenades or artillery shells.

Difficulty: Ludicrous
Roll: 0 (3+1-4) = Utter Failure

We reached for the sun and fell short. After weeks of debate between engineers regarding the feasibility of creating something smaller than what we have available, and after recovering from an accidental explosion at the factory responsible for making the parts for the Icarus, we finally managed to produce a single prototype. Which exploded on it's maiden flight after the SparkPack activated on it's own during warm-up maneuvers and the wings broke off the thing. An observer was quoted as saying "That boy's got weak bones". We know it was capable of getting airborne, but other than that it was a disastrous failure. We could produce more of them, but we have a hard time finding pilots for the thing.

The blast though...that was something. Not much larger than a fingernail rained down on observers, and anything that was of substantial size was molten.

Costs 6 Ore, 2 Wood, 4 Caelium, 4 Gavrillium, and 3 Kinetic Sheep, making the Suicideship Icarus a (NATIONAL EFFORT).

----------------

Oof. That's all the reports from command have stated. We've wasted time and manpower on the folly that became the Icarus. It's time for ARES to redeem itself this Revision Phase. You also have the opportunity to Investigate the Signal with your Revision action. It's up to you to decide how to continue. Good luck, you seem to need it!

IT IS NOW THE REVISION PHASE.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Territories (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Special Rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Credits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Salviosi Armory (click to show/hide)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

Investigate the signal: (1) Doomblade

I am open to a revision, but it has to be a good one.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Investigate the signal: (2) Doomblade, Frostgiant

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

Investigate the signal: (3) Doomblade, Frostgiant, Kashyyk

Looks like we now know how to make melta-bombs guys. Should br useful for our Nike skirmishers.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Icarus Unmanned Missile Conversion
While we attempted to make an aircraft it appears we unintentionally made a flying bomb. There is opportunity here. I propose we strip the Icarus of it's weapons, it's cockpit, it's k-wool resin and C-steel armour. This should reduce the cost of these craft considerably. The issues with sparkpack auto-activation need to be resolved and then the sparkpack is to be connected to an impact fuse in the nose of the craft so that the detonation seen during testing will be recreated on impact. The connections between the wings and the body of the craft need to be reinforced. And finally the Icarus needs to be adapted to be able to fly in long predictable arcs without a pilot. It maybe worth it in the future to develop radio controls for these devices but such a system I feel is outside the scope of this revision.

So yeah after the Icarus disaster we may be able to skip straight to V2s. However since we're not currently shelling the city this revision isn't actually helpful this turn and we have a time sensitive project to preform.

Investigate the signal: (4) Doomblade, Frostgiant, Kashyyk, Jerick

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Might as well just lock this symbolically, but an update probably won't be out until the weekend. I might be able to push one out sooner depending on circumstances, but I wouldn't expect it.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cold Iron- Depleted Promethium transmuted Metal alloy.

A rather strange Atomic reaction has been discovered during alloy testing, And the resulting material has been named “Cold Iron” After the legendary metal that was supposedly deadly to fae creatures and their ilk.

In order to facilitate the production of this alloy, it is required to mix 3 parts of powdered iron along with 1 part of powdered tantalum and 1 part powdered promethium.
This mixture is then placed inside of a high-pressure kiln and melted down, The proceeding release of energy from the kilns heat causing the Promethium to combust. However, even as the promethium heats up, it does not oxides do to the pressured environment and sealed nature of the kiln. This leads to the Promethium releasing the energy held within, and only partially transferring into D-promethium.

Afterwards, The molten alloy is quickly transferred into a mold, before it begins to rapidly cool, Becoming very very strong. After the metal Cools and turns hard again, we have what has been named Cold Iron. A black and silver speckled metal that constantly feels cold as an ice cube even if it had just been removed from a forge. Thankfully, its constant cooling presence is not to the level as Pure D-Prom, which is hazardous to make contact with for even a split second.

Because of the metals impressively durable nature, it is near impossible to shape without using enough force to just shatter it. In order to have our factory workers and Metallurgists Shape the material that comes out of the mold, we have had to make a series of tools bits from the metal itself as all other bits made from conventional tool metals find themselves very quickly dull and useless.

It is the hope of the Abberan design team that Cold Iron is a possible solution to the deadly nature of the Molten Bullets of the salviosi threat, Due to both its impossible toughness and its resistance to heat transfers.
Additionally, the impossibly hard metal should serve us well when paired with kinetic wool in order to create defenses that are near impossible for the enemy to crack, From hull plating to armour to fortifications.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 05:12:42 pm by frostgiant »

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile

Why is everyone trying to come up with expensive weird alloys when the problem can be solved by...
"Hey, you know the magic force-absorbing wool we have?"
"Yeah"
"How about we add some wool made from non-flammable rock to it?

Avanti!

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why is everyone trying to come up with expensive weird alloys when the problem can be solved by...
"Hey, you know the magic force-absorbing wool we have?"
"Yeah"
"How about we add some wool made from non-flammable rock to it?
Because even if its woven together with a non-flammable materiel K-wool is flammable if someone doesn't remove the heat making it non-viable on vehicles without close infantry support?
Because said wool would be vulnerable to regular bullets and it becomes a matter of just hitting it with something to shred that wool and then hitting it with the now highly effective Molten bullets again?
Because that solution would drive up K-Wool costs which is a material that we use in many other mechanisms?
Because said wool would have to be applied to the outside of the Surface in question. which is non-viable in many situations because then you have to account for greatly increased mass (Due to said rock wool on top of metal) or if you remove the metal, they shoot you with regular bullets, which would most likely be highly effective against said weave?
Because on any form of aircraft applying that rough, heavy layer on the outside of the hull increases wind resistance and the amount of work the inner cealium crystal generators have to do?
Because its much easier to mold metal into a variety of different shapes than a thick layer of rock and wool?
Because a fancy alloy as you put it could replace the material already in use instead of having to be placed on the outside in order to have any effect?

Because cold iron isn't just a molten salt counter is a super material for the building of bigger guns (barrel pressure) Bigger Vehicles (Giant ships that won't twist in half from the stresses involved with flying) Better armour for protection from enemy fire,not to mention the other uses a superstrong metal has and is a material that's been kicking around in my brain for months?
Because a strong alloy has more overall uses than a mineral wool/K-wool composite pad?
Take your pick.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's actually all okay with me, now that I think about it.

My issue with Cold Iron as it is right now, then, would be how hard it is to work. I can't really come up with any solutions for that, given that this is basically Tungsten Carbide without the whole lack of ductility thing, though.

Avanti!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's actually all okay with me, now that I think about it.

My issue with Cold Iron as it is right now, then, would be how hard it is to work. I can't really come up with any solutions for that, given that this is basically Tungsten Carbide without the whole lack of ductility thing, though.
Kasykk suggested cold iron cutting bits.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can't make sheet metal with cutting bits. Cold rolling won't work because of the hardness, and hot rolling won't work because of the heat resistance.

Avanti!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can't make sheet metal with cutting bits. Cold rolling won't work because of the hardness, and hot rolling won't work because of the heat resistance.
Castig may work to the desired thickness, and you can plane out to form a thinner sheet.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 59