FEKHUGE
- 2 (10%)
I dream of profits because I'm secretly Salviosi
- 4 (20%)
Of Kinetic Sheep
- 11 (55%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 59

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Abbera Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 78773 times)

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ARA 1912MG "Scythe" Heavy Machinegun:
The Scythe is a heavy machinegun, Water cooled, Designed to fire the same ammunition as the Modea to help ease our logistic chain.
The scythe is a heavy machine gun designed to fire ammunition at a staggering pace and ensure that the enemy must take cover, or be cut down as wheat before the Scythe.
This machine gun is designed to be capable of switching out barrels when the heat from its constant firing has become too much, and begins to melt it.
 It has been designed to operate with a 3 man crew, one loader and one gunner and one Ammo monkey. The scythe is mounted on a heavy tripod to ensure stability during firing.
For transportation, the tripod and the actual scythe itself will be separated and placed in special harnesses. these harnesses both possess a small cealium crystal and a small battery. The caelium decreases how heavy it is to carry the scythe, which put together weights up to 30-50 kg'. The lessened weight allows the scythe to set up in locations that would typically be inaccessible or difficult to reach, as well as allowing the gun crew to retreat and reposition faster than they otherwise could with the heavy machinegun.
The gunner carries the main body of the gun itself when disassembled, the loader carries the tripod and the water that is used to cool the gun and the ammo monkey carries the ammunition and spare barrels, along with a rifle to help defend the machinegun nest from attackers.

Quote from: Votes
Free Design:
Caelium Gravitational Generator: (1) Jerick
-ARA Model-1912S: (1) Doubloon
ARAF Model-1912O "Peeper" Artillery Observation Platform: (1) Kashyyk
ARA 1912ARM "Paladin" Superheavy armour (1): Frostgiant
---------------
Small Support Weapon:
Iron Rain Mortar:
-ARA 1912ART "Iron Rain": (2) Doubloon, Kashyyk
ARA 1912MG "Scythe" Heavy Machinegun: (1) Frostgiant.

True, true.

Also, I've got a few thoughts on shields. I think it would be better to have more of a hovering wall than a lightened shield. A large plate of steel that can protect an entire squadron at once would be especially useful, maybe with a bit of angling so that bullets can deflect easier and our soldiers can throw grenades into enemy trenches or drop in with shotguns.
A hovering wall is not a good thing.
Recoil is still a thing(because if caelium negated recoil then we should not actually be able to move a cealium anything, given that means any form of force applied with the intention of moving it would fail), so without anything bracing it will fly back into the face of anyone behind it.
The sheer size to make that would be unwieldy at best and completely useless at worst, on anything smaller than an open field, the shield would constantly get caught on things, because its large enough for an entire squadron to hide behind, instead of just having 2-3 shield in a squad and the rest can line up to hide behind them.
A shield is more flexible tactically because it can go were ever the infantryman can, and if they need to protect a bigger target they can just lock shield and support the recoil from something hitting their shields together. or if working in a building, a single infantryman can go into the hallway as a point man with everyone else behind him.

A floating wall is nice, but its much bigger, more vulnerable to recoil, much less maneuverable, and less tactically flexible as well as more expensive (requiring more cealium for more mass).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 10:14:17 am by frostgiant »

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile

A personal shield is going to need expensive batteries, will be unwieldy, and is vulnerable to grenades. A larger shield can defend from more things, can act as mobile fortifications by turning off the Caelium, and reduces costs on the individual soldier.

Avanti!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

A personal shield is going to need expensive batteries, will be unwieldy, and is vulnerable to grenades. A larger shield can defend from more things, can act as mobile fortifications by turning off the Caelium, and reduces costs on the individual soldier.
How about we compromise and go for a three or four person shield?

Also, I'm not sure what the new machine gun doubloon is voting for is, but I think it's this:

For positional defense, the Type A1 is a water-cooled machine gun designed to fire the 7.92x57 cartridge in belt form. Intended to be fired from a tripod mount, it will also have an optional elevated mounting to allow it to fire upon aerial craft. Using a gas based reloading system partially borrowed from the Model-001A, it will sacrifice a some firing speed for more accuracy. A gun shield with a sighting port protects the operators from pistol rounds and shell fragments.

EDIT: never mind. :3
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 10:53:11 am by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A larger shield is still vulnerable to grenades, is a large target for artillery still needs more batteries then a shield.
Dude, Unless to have the large spikes in the freaking world or a ready-made foundation attached to the bottom of this thing, turning off the cealium on a shield this big will just lead to a big plate standing on the ground vertically, something without and a foundation is ridiculously easy to push over.

Reduce cost on an individual soldier for the Increased cost for individual squads, for something that is much less tactically flexible and is only really useful in open areas, the prime hunting ground for its biggest counter, Artillery.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What? I'm not voting for a machine gun, I'm voting for Jerick's generator, with S for support, not SMG.

And why would we power a shield that large with a battery? Use a generator, there. As for fortifications? Support wheels. And why would it be a plain plate, it would by tilted at a slight angle and "folded" so that bullets would just ricochet.

Avanti!

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I always interpreted Caelium as having a negative weight when powered, rather than actively screwing with gravity. Thus it is repelled by massive objects rather than attracted by them. That personally makes more sense to me, but if ends up being your explanation, then all the better.
Well what the gm has told us about it is:
Caelium is a newly discovered material with very interesting properties. This greenish crystalline mineral creates a field around itself that manages to lessen the effect of gravity on objects within it. Caelium suspends itself in the air at a height relative to the power flowing through it: a higher charge means a higher altitude. There are surely other interactions to experiment with, but as of now we only know the effects of a directly applied electrical current on Caelium in it's base form.
This is what we know about it and there has to be some interesting energy shenanigans going on for it to work like that. The fact that caelium suspends itself in the air when supplied suggests some interesting things as well now that I think about it. Supplying steady power to it should result in a steady output of force as it lifts itself but instead the height it reaches is relative to the charge supplied and it holds at that height. It seems there is something that changes as the caelium increases in elevation that makes it harder to rise further. Air pressure decreases as it climbs but honestly I don't see how that would produce these effects, typically lower air pressure makes moving easier not harder. What would make sense is if there was some relation between the caelium's output and the depth of the gravity well it's in. As it gets higher gravity decreases very slightly and the core needs more charge to climb further. If I'm right about this it's option b) and caelium is drawing it's power from the earth's gravity and will not work in zero g environments.

Small support weapon:
Quote from: ARA 1912CMG Hydra
The hydra is a heavy, mounted, water-cooled caelium machine gun. For the most part it is similar to other such weapons. It is belt fed and fires 7.92x57 rounds. The barrel is encased in a jacket to allow water to be pumped around the barrel. It uses a gas based reloading system pioneered by the Model 001A but re engineered for full automatic fire. There is a small caelium core located directly below the barrel on the gun's water jacket. This core is connected to a battery through a circuit that is completed when the trigger is depressed. The gravity lessening field reduces the effective mass of the bullets in the barrel how ever the propulsion provided by the expanding gases in the chamber is volume and heat based rather than mass based. This means that instead of accelerating a bullet of 10 grams weight the same force is being applied to a bullet of an effective weight of 0.1 gram weight. Once the bullet clears the barrel and is no longer under the effects of the caelium field it retains the speed gained while in this field. This acts as a multiplier for bullet velocity.

My opinion on shields is that they aren't going to be that good. If they are easy for our troops to move thanks to caelium it will be easy for enemy fire to move and perhaps tip it over. If we were able to get more of an energy shield style thing, possibly by using gravity to deflect enemy munitions I'd be more up for that.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That gravity repealing tech is my Gravity Plate mail idea. The real issue is these things are a “create your own tech tree and pray the other guy does not outclass you in rolls.”

We can get gravity force shield stuff. The issues are

- Lack of researching the stuff right now

- GM gets to decide the ultimate reactions of what Caelium and other stuff will do in said conditions (if reading right.)

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What? I'm not voting for a machine gun, I'm voting for Jerick's generator, with S for support, not SMG.

And why would we power a shield that large with a battery? Use a generator, there. As for fortifications? Support wheels. And why would it be a plain plate, it would by tilted at a slight angle and "folded" so that bullets would just ricochet.

Support wheels. really, that's your answer to recoil pushing it back and a lack of solid foundation to hold up a Multiton wall of metal, generator fuel when you turn the cealium off to attempt to create fortifications. the first big hit will knock this thing on the poor infantry trying to hide behind it. Hope the family's at home like pancakes, because their relatives are now such.

A generator would be more expensive for something like that meant to be widely available, because each generator producing power would consume more fuel, and need constant refueling to be the slightest bit useful. do you know much fuel that would be?
I was never arguing that it was a plain plate and that bullets are the problem. I was saying that its dead meat to ARTILLERY, the thing that fire in an angle, and will love anything that is out in open terrain, can go over the shield and kill our guys with shrapnel and explosive force, or even hit it from an upward angle. Artillery kills this thing dead flat, easily and every time because it's to big a target. not to mention grenades that can be throw over the top of it, mortars, gas, shooting under the hovering shield to hit our soldiers in the feet, incapacitation them (not to mention shooting off said feet)

An APC does this things job, does it faster and does it better (Especially if its a Hover-APC, turn the cealium off and then you have a turret, and a rather big fortification with a much wider base to remain stable, still runs into artillery slaughtering it, but not as badly).

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry doubloon, got confused by votebox. Regarding the caelium designs, I also back the generator. Even if we can't design an actual perpetual motion machine, we can use it to make our real generators awesome (and very light).

I support the scythe currently. The Hydra sounds really cool, but if it screws up we lose a research credit. Also the lift cells on the scythe should help a lot with the excessive weight.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...I just had a complete and total brain failure, and forgot this was a WW1 game filled with shell craters and artillery. Small shielf is good in those circumstances.

Though, I have a bit of a question with the Scythe. If it's water cooled, why would we need new barrels?

Avanti!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...I just had a complete and total brain failure, and forgot this was a WW1 game filled with shell craters and artillery. Small shielf is good in those circumstances.

Though, I have a bit of a question with the Scythe. If it's water cooled, why would we need new barrels?
I think the rate of fire is high enough that it'll break the barrels eventually.

Also, replacement barrels were a common thing for MGs.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Even with water cooling, machinegun barrels could reach high enough temperature that the constant firing and heat would deform the barrel and its easier to replace the barrel in the machinegun then take the whole thing off the line and fix it up. I based the Scythe on the Vickers, Which is a very solid weapon.
The vickers actually had a crew of 6-8 men, 1 gunner, 1 loader and the rest helped carry the weapon. With caelium we can cut that down to merely 3 men. and the scythe can be set up Damn near anywhere because of the lightning. Machineguns on an open field are bad enough, machineguns from a vantage point in the mountains are terrifying

The weapon had a reputation for great solidity and reliability. Ian V. Hogg, in Weapons & War Machines, describes an action that took place in August 1916, during which the British 100th Company of the Machine Gun Corps fired their ten Vickers guns continuously for twelve hours. Using 100 barrels, they fired a million rounds without a failure. "It was this absolute foolproof reliability which endeared the Vickers to every British soldier who ever fired one."[2]

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Votes
Free Design:
Caelium Gravitational Generator: (1) Jerick
-ARA Model-1912S: (1) Doubloon
ARAF Model-1912O "Peeper" Artillery Observation Platform: (2) Kashyyk, Doomblade
ARA 1912ARM "Paladin" Superheavy armour (1): Frostgiant
---------------
Small Support Weapon:
Iron Rain Mortar:
-ARA 1912ART "Iron Rain": (2) Doubloon, Kashyyk
ARA 1912MG "Scythe" Heavy Machinegun: (2) Frostgiant, Doomblade

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm going to argue against the Peeper a little bit here. I do like it as a design, my issue is that I think we should do the generator first and use the research credit on it.
Quote from: man of paper
As a result you can make any single design with a Research Credit this phase
If I'm not mistaken we only have the research credit this phase and it seems a waste to use it on something simple like the peeper.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A brief comment some filth made to me has me needing to clarify to make sure you guys know exactly what you're working with, since multiple things going on at once can get confusing. You have two designs this turn, one of which is attached to the small support weapon request. You can use the Research Credit on either design this turn, and cannot hold the Credit for later. All Credits earned in the pre-war will be used immediately.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 59