FEKHUGE
- 2 (10%)
I dream of profits because I'm secretly Salviosi
- 4 (20%)
Of Kinetic Sheep
- 11 (55%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 59

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Abbera Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 78706 times)

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's 3/2 metric. You know which is better, GM. :3
4/2 actually.

So that's more than a majority of players on the team I think. MEtric remains the superior measuring system

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

I'm partial towards Imperial, as a dirty British empire lover proud Brit, but I can appreciate people wanting Metric, so I'll abstain.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Votes
Main Weapon
Model-001 'Pinscher' Bolt Action Rifle: (1) Kashyyk,
Model-001A 'Abbera Royal Armory Semiautomatic Rifle': (2) Tyrant Leviathan, Happerry
-ARA Model-001A Semiautomatic rifle (3): Frostgiant, Doomblade, DoubloonSeven
"Penetrator" Semi-Auto Rifle: (0)
"Draco" Trench Gun: (0)
"Stinger" Assault Rifle: (1) Jerick
-----
Offensive Tool
Type-A 'Volley' Rifle Grenade: (0)
"Wickerman" Incendiary Grenade: (5) Doubloon, frostgiant, Doomblade, Tyrant Leviathan, Happerry
"Iron Rain" Mortar: (1), Kashyyk
-----
Uniform
Standardised Infantry Uniform: (2)Tyrant Leviathan, Kashyyk
UMI: (4) Doomblade187, Doubloon, frostgiant, Happerry
-----
Resource
Caelium: (4) Doubloon,Tyrant Leviathan,  frostgiant, Doomblade
Helium: 0
Promethium: (2) Kashyyk, Jerick

On the Wickerman, is eight seconds really a good time delay for the grenade? it'd seem it'd encourage 'cooking' the grenade, and hilarious accidents are only hilarious when they happen to the other side.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

As the GM said that helmets are permissible in the uniform design, can we alter the UMI to include one?

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile

Wait, that got edited out? Yeah, we should probably include a helmet. Also, I thought that the Wickerman was supposed to be more like a room-clearer and an area-of effect weapon, so the longer fuse made sense. Does phosphorus not work like that?

Avanti!

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Main Weapon
Model-001 'Pinscher' Bolt Action Rifle: (1) Kashyyk,
Model-001A 'Abbera Royal Armory Semiautomatic Rifle': (2) Tyrant Leviathan, Happerry
-ARA Model-001A Semiautomatic rifle (3): Frostgiant, Doomblade, DoubloonSeven
"Penetrator" Semi-Auto Rifle: (0)
"Draco" Trench Gun: (0)
"Stinger" Assault Rifle: (1) Jerick
-----
Offensive Tool
Type-A 'Volley' Rifle Grenade: (0)
"Wickerman" Incendiary Grenade: (5) Doubloon, frostgiant, Doomblade, Tyrant Leviathan, Happerry
"Iron Rain" Mortar: (1), Kashyyk
-----
Uniform
Standardised Infantry Uniform: (2)Tyrant Leviathan, Kashyyk
UMI: (4) Doomblade187, Doubloon, frostgiant, Happerry
-----
Resource
Caelium: (4) Doubloon,Tyrant Leviathan,  frostgiant, Doomblade
Promethium: (2) Kashyyk, Jerick

On the Wickerman, is eight seconds really a good time delay for the grenade? it'd seem it'd encourage 'cooking' the grenade, and hilarious accidents are only hilarious when they happen to the other side.

I wan't really sure what a good fuse for a incendiary grenade would be, I had wanted to ensure that The grenade going off to close to our people didn't happen. What would a better fuse be? 6? 4?

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah I thought the crowd was more for urban, building fighting, or/and urban in it flushes folks out ircroaats them. Longer fuses make sense in that role.

Shorter fused stuff is for direct explosions.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Year -3 Cold Season, Design Phase

Proposal: ARA Model-001A Semiautomatic Rifle
The Model-001 is the first step of many. We better make it a good one. In this effort, our engineers have created a rifle of 40 inches in length, built with the standard wooden stock. The action, instead of a bolt action system, incorporates a set of lugs and cams that allow the interior of the bolt to rotate while using a a portion of the volatile gases as force to load the next round. This should result in a higher rate of fire than the standard bolt action. It loads twelve .325 caliber rounds from an en-bloc clip into a fixed magazine. Variable sights give it a use at a wide range of distances.

Difficulty: Very Hard
Result: 8 (6+4-2) = Average

The ARA Model-001A Self-Loading Rifle is the first weapon designed and produced within Abbera, and is as groundbreaking as we'd expect from the finest engineers on Harren Island, and perhaps the world.

The ARA Model-001A, called "Mona" (Model ONe A) by it's operators [you can opt to change the moniker at any point], is the first Self Loading Rifle designed for widespread use in the world. "Mona" is effective out to 400 meters, with a variable sight allowing the operator to adjust to 50, 100, and 200 meters. The rifle weighs 4.5 kg and is a full meter in length from end to end. The "Mona" is built with a solid wood stock and body.

The "Mona" is designed to fire 7.92x57 mm rounds loaded through the top of the weapon with a 12-round en bloc clip into a fixed magazine that protrudes slightly from the bottom of the weapon. The ARA Model-001A is also fairly easy to field strip, which is good because the weapon is not without it's issues. But more on those in a moment, because we haven't actually covered what makes the "Mona" special. The first Self-Loading Rifle in the world achieves this status using a gas trap system to capture gas leaving the muzzle in order to operate the bolt and chamber the next round without any extra input from the operator. This allows a rate of fire of 30-40 rounds per minute without significantly impacting accuracy.

Unfortunately progress always seems to be paired with drawbacks. The weapon kicks back pretty hard, and while the recoil isn't unmanageable it'll leave the shooter with some pain after sustained usage. Another issue revolves around the smaller internal components. The rapid-fire nature of the "Mona" causes a lot of stress and wear on a number of parts, and the weapon is susceptible to sand, dirt, and mud, which results in the weapon requiring cleaning and repair more frequently than we'd like. All soldiers assigned an ARA Model-001A get extra training in maintaining the weapon and get a small pouch of replacement parts as part of their standard kit.

The ARA Model-001A requires 2 Ore and 2 Wood to produce and is therefore [CHEAP].

----------

Proposal: "Wickerman" Incendiary Grenade
The wickerman grenade is a 15-centimeter long grenade that has been designed to explode 8 seconds after the pin is pulled, flinging burning white phosphorus all around the area around its detonation. If set off inside an enclosed space it will quickly fill with deadly smoke, literally smoking the enemy out of their hiding places or risk being burned alive or suffocated. if the enemy does not quickly contain the fires that this grenade can cause, their fortifications will quite literally burn down around them, provided the wickermen are deployed in force.

Difficulty: Hard
Result: 5 (5+1-1) = Below Average

Optimally a weapon does two things: create casualties and damage morale. Incendiary weapons fit that bill perfectly, therefore the "Wickerman" was ultimately inevitable. Designed as a 15 cm long canister, the "Wickerman" contains a fuse set off by pulling a pin which sets of a charge in the grenade that destroys the canister and disperses white phosphorus in a 5-meter radius. The white phosphorus will adhere to most surfaces, such as wood, cloth, and flesh, and cause intense burning and ignition. White phosphorus also produces a thick white smoke as it burns off, giving the "Wickerman" the ability to provide cover.

That's what we aimed for anyway, but we hit two snags:
1) The fuses are unreliable. The "Wickerman" can go off as soon as five seconds after the pin is pulled. If it goes off at all. While duds aren't common, they occur often enough to make an impact on effectiveness.
2) We're having difficulty acquiring sufficient amounts of white phosphorus itself, and what we do have is of poor quality. Production and effectiveness of the "Wickerman" suffers as a result, effectively making the design [very complex]. Surely we'll find a solution if we continue working on the grenade.

The "Wickerman" Incendiary Grenade currently costs 4 Ore, making it [EXPENSIVE], and is [very complex].

Before you cry foul, let me as the GM explain. There are two processes to discovering new Resources: creating them in a design and stumbling on them accidentally. I made a number of resources to be discovered beforehand. While initially discovering a new resource the design will usually end up with a large generic resource cost as well as a [very complex] tag to represent both not having the specialty resource as well as not knowing what it is and needing to filter through a lot of stuff to get trace amounts of what you need. If any further work is done on the design the resource will be identified and you'll be able to begin assigning it to nodes once we get to that point. Discovering the resource does not add difficulty to the revision, and does not need to be specified as a part of the revision - it happens regardless of what goes on with both the proposal and the roll itself. The design will still be [complex] until you actually have a supply of the necessary resource, but it will no longer be [very complex] and the cost will change to reflect having knowledge of and access to the proper resources. Mind you, a high enough roll on a design that uncovers the need of a resource may also discover it at the same time.

So congrats, you've come across something immediately.

---------------

Uniform Proposal: UMI

Uniforms for the Massed Infantry

A modern army deserves a proper uniform. First are the basics. Cotton undergarments (long johns to be issued in winter), grey gabardine wool pants and jacket, and a light cotton shirt (button up, no collar). The jacket is a button up affair, with a foldable collar and several convenient pockets. One on each side just about the belt, and a stylish buttoned breast pocket on each side. Each button on the jacket has the image of a crown engraved on it. The shoulders of the jacket are stitched with a dark blue crown at the top of the arm to indicate allegiance, and a scepter is embroidered on the left breast pocket. Rank is displayed by the number of crowns stitched onto the right breast pocket. Higher ups are indicated by a single, more ornate embroidery with silver thread. The pants have several useful pockets, two on each side above the knee, along with belt loops. The patrol cap has a small pocket on the inside of the rim to keep small items out of the weather.
A leather belt and leather boots are provided with the uniform. The boots are lace ups, with reinforced soles. The belt comes with attachments to carry an extra magazine or two of ammunition for the soldier's primary weapon, or a leather holster for an officer's sidearm. Spotters and scouts also receive binoculars, and a leather holster for them. Holsters and ammo pouches have flaps covering the top to keep out the weather.

Onto the kit.

A backpack made out of stiff water-resistant canvas holds the soldier's kit - water canteen, mess kit, a basic bedroll, a standard pocketknife, two clean bandages, and a basic entrenching tool. A basic helmet straps to the back of the back while traveling. Made of steel, it weighs a moderate amount and has basic padding for the wearer's comfort.

APPROVED AS IS

----------------

As we ready ourselves for war it is good to know there are people loyal to Abbera. As a result of you all designing equipment to fill the specified roles, you have been granted access to more resources, allowing two design credits to be used in the revision phase. You have a single revision to dedicate to one of your accomplishments from this phase as well. We ask that you hurry though, those Salviosi dogs are just as determined to secure this island as we are.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Territories (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

PRAISE BE!

So, we have designed a reliable and cheap semiautomatic rifle for our infantry, praise be.

Revision:

Clamp Down

The Mona is undeniably an Excellent weapon. But we can do even better. We will go through the firing mechanisms and inspect each stage for parts with a less than perfect fit. These parts will have their manufacturing tolerances adjusted such that the parts fit together better. In addition, any parts that show high wear following the rework will be hardened via an improved forging and heat treatment procedure. Finally, the gas capture mechanism will be adjusted to provide more efficient recoil harnessing. This should simultaneously improve the autoloading mechanism performance and reduce recoil.

Edit: we can also use our design credits this turn . Maybe the iron rain?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 01:37:59 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also what of the Resource thing? I got like seven designs based on that wonder metal.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, not bad. Time to spend some Design Credits.

Thoughts? We should also probably use the revision on the grenade.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 01:53:18 pm by Doubloon-Seven »

Avanti!

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I shall change my vote.
Caelium: (5) Doubloon,Tyrant Leviathan,  frostgiant, Doomblade, Jerick
Promethium: (1) Kashyyk
The sooner we can start designs with our specialized resource the better and since everyone is set on Caelium I will bow to pressure and change in order to get the ball rolling on those.

As for the revision I vote we use it on the grenade. More work there could open up white phosphorous to be used easily in other designs (such as the iron rain)

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Neat. The Iron Rain can be done next turn if we manage to reduce the complexity of white phosphorus.

Avanti!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

Well, my thoughts on the grenade vs rifle revision are the general impact. If we revise the rifle nicely (or include some mechanism improvements in other designs, Iron Behemoths style), then it has a huge impact and our infantry will be coming from a very strong place at the start. In addition, by perfecting a semi-auto mechanism at the start of the game, we can move more easily into other areas, like the machinegun you bring up.

Revising the grenade would give us more burning smoke grenades, which is cool, but in my opinion isn't as baseline contributing.

That said, if you think the Rev. isn't big enough, let me know.

Also, I think we just have access to our special resource now, and it was just never explicitly edited in.

Chemical Industry

We need white phosphorus, and we need chemists to make it. By designing some initial chemical plants to produce white phosphorus, we will be able to kickstart our production and become more comfortable with chemical manufacturing.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 01:58:28 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Designs:
ARA Model-001B Semiautomatic Pistol: (1) DoubloonSeven
Iron Rain Mortar: (1) DoubloonSeven
-----
Revision:
Clamp Down: (1) DoubloonSeven
Chemical Industry: (0)