Hammer Time
- 3 (21.4%)
Time...to die.
- 6 (42.9%)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 88

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 100407 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, big discussion happening in Discord. A possible proposed solution would be to do a very simple 'aircraft'- basically just a lifting engine with a basket underneath, to be used like an observation balloon. This would let us develop anti-grav tech, get us the credit, and not be too hard.
Long Live United Forenia!

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In short, Max, If you hate planes and love blimps that fly because we say they do, say now
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

LEA-13 Lifting Engine Aircraft
Some of our scientists were experimenting with Caelium augmentations to Gavrillium engines, and discovered something strange. They didn't quite manage to make a better engine, as their only prototype for the "better engine" concept was smashed into the ceiling. Like good Salviosi engineers, however, they tested the new phenomenon until realizing that a properly heat-treated sample of Caelium (called Gravite because it's cooler that way) can be placed in the middle of a set of Gavrillium rods rotating around a common center, and will then produce a force relative to the strength of gravity---regardless of its altitude (unlike Caelium). This force always goes in the same direction relative to the piece, so a piece of Gravite held upside down inside the rotating rods will provide a downwards force, and a lifting engine turned slightly to the side will provide a force that both lifts the engine and moves it sideways.

To capitalize on this we have constructed the Lifting Engine, comprised of a Gavrillium motor and its heater spinning the rods-and-Caelium assembly to generate lift, bundled up into a neat package conveniently labelled "UP, NO REALLY, THIS WAY IS UP. DO NOT INVERT IF YOU LIKE YOUR BONES INTACT".

The LEA-13 is a simple contraption, using one of these new Lifting Engines attached to part of the neighbor's lawn chair collection a simple basket from a civilian hot-air balloon. A Ceramah radio is installed in the basket (powered by an alternator on the Gavrillium engine, saving the weight normally used for its generator), and a set of cute binoculars plus a camera are handed to the soldiers who offended their superior officers willing volunteer pilots, who can then use the high altitudes attained by the balloons to survey enemy positions, dispositions, and radio down to their commanders or (every soldier's favorite) their accompanying artillery battery, to deliver extremely accurate fire support. Well, extremely accurate on the second shot, anyway...Regardless, the LEA can be used tethered to the ground, or, by the daring pilot, untethered. Untethered LEAs can reach great heights and see very, very far, but of course it gets cold and breezy, and nobody likes calling in the Salviosi Merchant Marine's Rescue Division just to pick up a wayward LEA-13 and pilot when they inevitably drift really far off course.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: votebox
Emplacements
GA2 "Aegis" Cannon Emplacement (2): Twinwolf, Taricus
GBC-13 Gavrillium Bunker Cannon 'Scylla' (3): Madman, Baffler, NUKE9.13
Scorched Earth: Cannon Emplacement. (2): Yami, FallacyofUrist
LRSA-13 'Bombardier Beetle' (2): Maximum Spin, Rockeater

Flying Machines
GSA-13 Gravite Scouting Aircraft (4): Madman, Jilladilla, Maximum Spin, Rockeater
"Hawk" Reconnaissance Biplane (5): Twinwolf, Taricus, Baffler, FallacyofUrist, Yami
Aero Harness (0):
PT-13 Armoured Tiltrotor:
LEA-13 Lifting Engine Aircraft: (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile

Emplacements

Flying Machines
GSA-13 Gravite Scouting Aircraft (3): Madman, Maximum Spin, Rockeater
"Hawk" Reconnaissance Biplane (5): Twinwolf, Taricus, Baffler, FallacyofUrist, Yami
Aero Harness (0):
LEA-13 Lifting Engine Aircraft: (2) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Emplacements

Flying Machines
GSA-13 Gravite Scouting Aircraft (2): Maximum Spin, Rockeater
Aero Harness (0):
LEA-13 Lifting Engine Aircraft: (3) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Madman
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Emplacements

Flying Machines
GSA-13 Gravite Scouting Aircraft (1): Maximum Spin
Aero Harness (0):
LEA-13 Lifting Engine Aircraft: (4) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Madman, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

Quote from: xotebov
Emplacements

Flying Machines
GSA-13 Gravite Scouting Aircraft (0):
Aero Harness (0):
LEA-13 Lifting Engine Aircraft: (5): NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Madman, Rockeater, Maximum Spin

I can be convinced.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

Quote from: xotebov
Emplacements

Flying Machines
GSA-13 Gravite Scouting Aircraft (0):
"Hawk" Reconnaissance Biplane (4): Taricus, Baffler, FallacyofUrist, Yami
Aero Harness (0):
LEA-13 Lifting Engine Aircraft: (6): NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Madman, Rockeater, Maximum Spin, Twinwolf

I'm more ok with this than I am with the GSA. While yes, I still think as an aircraft the Hawk is better, as a stepping stone to new tech I think this will probably be better (and not as incredibly difficult as the GSA). Getting a better aircraft once we do this should be a priority, especially if Abbera turns out one that works well in the short term.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile

Getting a better aircraft once we do this should be a priority, especially if Abbera turns out one that works well in the short term.

I agree. Maybe get something small boat sized mounting a GA1B and a pair of LGG's?

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With the voting close on emplacements I'll give five hours (5:00 PM Eastern US) for any last minute vote changes or arguments, since your debate was overshadowed more by the flying machine.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

Quote from: Man of Paper on Discord
Man of PaperToday at 9:41 PM
I'm real excited for first combat man. So much so that I'm going to let you know one turn beforehand that you're going to get two unrestricted designs next turn so you guys can really work out what youd like to do with them, though you might want to wait for your Intel to come through.
Phoneposting is ass so I someone from each team could relay that that'd be awesome
Into the threads I mean

So, I vote the Avalanche armor (or other power armor) for one of them. Dunno the other. Going from a bit of discord discussion, an aircraft that's better than a lawn chair strapped to an engine or a vehicle based on the Armored Sled might be in order.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 08:50:55 pm by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think that it'll be a good idea to throw in a light field gun (50mm, or 40mm as I proposed) and a new flying machine since this one is going to be, at best, "terrible". Alternatively, power armor might work, though an armored vehicle (more armor than the Kerata) would also be nice.

I forget what the major problems were with wheeled armored vehicles (Cross-country travel, suspension problems, or issues with actual wheel structure, I can't recall which), but it might be a good idea to make another Caelium-lightened armored vehicle, better-armored and maybe also better-armed than the Kerata...though maybe that's a "SoonTM" thing, I dunno.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Kerata's issues are fixable by replacing the armour with caelium steel and ditching the caelium lifting part. It won't be perfect but it could end up looking like something servicable and useful.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well yeah, but we'll still need something heavier. Oh, and the Kerata desperately needs more armor, as well.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 88