Hammer Time
- 3 (21.4%)
Time...to die.
- 6 (42.9%)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 88

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 100387 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I am going to point out to you, Yami, the concept of the M18 Hellcat tank destroyer. Firepower, speed, no meaningful armor. Heavy machineguns or repeated hits from lighter machineguns would punch through the paper-thin armor. It was successful for a time in WWII, but died and died and died and died. What do you do when the enemy has defended his position with rapid-fire light guns? You can't send light tanks, you can't send infantry, you send in the full tanks.

Power armored/lifting suits will be our tanks. Or, at least, one of our tanks. We should probably have a legitimate tank, though the tracks might be optional.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

As for the car, I'm honestly all for writing off the Kerata and instead using the Armored Sled as a base for future vehicles. Either that or just starting from the ground up.

I agree. We learned some things from designing the Kerata, but the roll was so shitty it'd probably take at least two revisions just to fix the design itself up to the point it was originally intended to be at. The sled OTOH is basically a vehicle chassis that we can put whatever we want on top of. We might even be able to get away with using revisions for that in a lot of places.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

An agile, building climbing suit, while helpful in taking Harren, is going to see a pretty large drop in utility once we secure Harren island and fortify it. Hell, Harren Island works for us rather than against us given that we can instantly fortify it to Lv.4 fortifications and then make the enemy worry about trying to take it/bypass it.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

An agile, building climbing suit, while helpful in taking Harren, is going to see a pretty large drop in utility once we secure Harren island and fortify it. Hell, Harren Island works for us rather than against us given that we can instantly fortify it to Lv.4 fortifications and then make the enemy worry about trying to take it/bypass it.

We'd be better off filling that niche with gravite jump packs, most likely. I doubt you could climb quite as high but it'd a bit more versatile. Myomer's real strength is probably going to end up being powered armor.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

Yeah, I think that our designs for the moment should be focused on taking Harren. Once we have that it will be terribly difficult to remove us, and while I think we'd have an easier time dislodging them then they would us, I would rather not test that theory.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Agreed. Kinda why I want shotguns with slugs, if they got something armoured ready to deploy I want something in the wings to counter it.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are shotgun slugs particularly good at damaging armored targets or something? It does seem smart to have something that can pierce armor now that the thought comes up.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, they're large, and are fired with a particularly large amount of force at close range so I'd expect they'd be somewhat able to deal with any early armour we come across in Harren. So long as they're steel and not lead anyway.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Honestly I'd sorta prefer a proper anti-tank rifle to a shotgun for anti-armor, but we'll see how it goes.
Sigtext!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A shotgun for AT work would serve us better in Harren given the close rage of the firefights there. Once we get past that, then we'll want an AT rifle or bigger for AT duty.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fair enough, I suppose.
Sigtext!

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Honestly shotguns aren't great at armour piercing.  Slugs just concentrate alotta force in one area, but they don't exactly penetrate well.  They just, you know, overwhelm what they hit.  I'm not sure they'd do much to an actually decently rolled Kerata Armoured Car.  Which is what I think we need to assume we'll be fighting.  I'm worried slugs would just dent the sides and shake the cab, but not actually do too much.  Besides, if it's close enough to shotgun, it should be close enough to lob grenades.

Maybe we could work on better explosives or explosive delivery devices?

~Yami, Mad Genius Scientist
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:19:08 pm by Yami »
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I think the idea is that at this time, armor isn't going to be thick enough to stop most things.

That said, thinking about it, shotguns might not be a great idea. We got Caelium Steel, yeah? Which would be great to put more armor on a vehicle without increasing it's weight. They got Caelium as well and have had it longer - I think it is more likely than not they have this as well, and likely have included it in whatever vehicle they designed. So I think that's an argument for something made for anti-armor, over a shotgun.

Better explosives could work, or maybe as mentioned a dedicated anti-tank gun.
Sigtext!

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meet in the middle and make Armour Piercing Explosives?  Man portable mini artillery?

~Yami, Mad Genius Scientist.
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, shotguns are no worse than any other gun at firing armor-piercing ammunition. Heck, they might be *better*, since you could make an APDS style projectile if you so wanted, which might work at that scale.

Anyway, we have several dozen options for dealing with armor. Right now, it would probably be fairly simple to produce an incendiary Gavrillium-filled shell (incendiary medium bullets, so our 7.7mm ought to do just fine with it) to melt armor, or we could upscale the GGG-12 to something capable of shooting its way through steel through sheer weight of fire.

Alternatively, we produce some nice powered armor out of our Lifting Suits and arm it with some extremely high-power AT rifles.

Here's some things I figure should be done: Armored Lifting Suits, remade armored car, tracked armored vehicle or walking armored vehicle, mobile artillery (tracked or walking), light AT (AT rifles or AT mines or AT grenades), heavy AT (launchers, ultralight field guns firing ~50mm shot), field guns (50-105mm guns made for firing direct at targets, excellent for both close support of infantry and AT work), a true LMG OR the promise of sufficient armored lifting suits to make the LGG/GGG man-portable weapons.

Yeah, I got caught up in the "armor, artillery, and AT" scheme here. There's other things we could do. A logistics truck (also capable of moving troops) to keep LGGs and GGGs firing would be amazing, especially if we used Caelium Steel or just regular old Caelium to give it armor---that way we don't lose trucks to air attack or machinegun fire as easily as they are usually lost.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 88