Hammer Time
- 3 (21.4%)
Time...to die.
- 6 (42.9%)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 88

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 100287 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

Ugh. This is just shitty all around.
We design a resource for the purpose of doing cool sky behemoths and get "NOPE! It's actually for small hovercraft!" because the other team got it first. And Maximum, that'd require its own action when we spent a design solely dedicated to "make something that would be useful for X" and it turns out it's only useful for Y.

I'd rather just refund the design action if we could.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So.  Our people need a Hero to rally them in these troublesome times.

Looking over the after action reports from the little rebellion, I suggest we go with Emilio Antares, a salvios city boy with no import save he had the good grace not to die when the building his squad was sent to clear turned out to be a command post with heavier resistance than expected.

Our people need  a hero who is one of them, and this Emilio is as salt of the earth as they come.

~Yami
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, yeah, I think the best solution here is this proposal by Chief:

Give us our design back, remove Caelium from Salvios, and tell Abbera what Salvios' specialty resource is.

Because both of us having Caelium is just gonna be boring.
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, to get the ball rolling with some more designs (I'll let whoever did the cannon propose the fix for it).

Designs:
Sub-Machine Gun 12: An innovative and relatively advanced design, the SMG-12 is a novel take on the concept of a machine gun. Using a 10mm pistol calibre round in stead of a full-sized round of a machinegun, the SMG-12 stores it's ammo in a straight, 30 round magazine feeding upwards into the chamber. With a barrel which outsizes that of its pistol counterparts, giving it a greater range and stopping power compared to a pistol. The weapon is also padded akin to the Senapang, making the use of the SMG-12 rather comfortable.

Light Machine Gun 12: Building off of our capabilities with the 3G-12, the LMG-12 compliments the heavier gun by providing automatic fire capabilities to an infantry squad at a much lighter weight than the G3-12. Using the same round as our Senapang rifles (The gavpowder round proving to be a bit... lethal to the gun itself), the LMG-12 is fed with 30-round detachable magazines. Like the Senapang, the LMG-12 comes with padding to make the use of the weapon more comfortable.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait wait...
We have oil as a resource, but don't need it for vehicle.

Gentleman, I propose we weaponize it.  Next time we hafta fight in a city I propose we equip some of our infantry with oil projection guns to suffuse a building which can then be lit up, thus avoiding the costly process of clearing each build with soldiers and saving the lives of countless infantrymen.

Also, I should add that the addition of gravite to my own lighter than air gasses idea really  opens up possibilities.

~Yami
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's a flamethrower, and the gravite thing is a bit... up in the air at the moment. Otherwise I'd have proposed putting our G3-12 onto a pair of gravite sleds (One for the gun, and one for the ammo hauling)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile

Well; that's mildly disappointing. Still now; they can't exactly define the material's reaction with Gavrilium now can they? This stuff rises higher when a current is applied; what exactly will happen when we plug in our super-power source in it? What if we do our damnedest to make a Gavrilium/Gravite(or whatever) alloy?

(Also, a bit of a government suggestion: Make it so that the government positions don't pay much at all; more or less forcing them to continue running their businesses and trade ventures, keeping them grounded. Basically a cheap PR stunt from the merchant lords that doesn't really change anything for them.)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's a flamethrower,
Yes.  That's the idea.  The little rebellion proved that we don't have great intercity warfare capacity.  This would help fill that niche.

However...
Eureka!  Follow scholars, I have had yet another flash of brilliance.

As we all know, a man marches upon his feet, and an army upon it's stomache.  I propose that with the newfound properties of gravite we can ease the burden on both.  With a gravite plate at the base of a pack and a gravite harness to ease the burden of one's own weight, I propose that each soldier may carry his own provisions and reloads, entrenching tools and full kit, able to march all day and still be fighting fit.

Gentleman, what say you to the feasibility of outfitting our soldiers with gravite harnesses, that each man be able to bring war to our enemies, no matter the state of our logistics train?

~Yami
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 06:15:03 pm by Yami »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Jilladilla: That invites corruption though. And corruption is the one thing no merchant lord tolerates. As a result, the government has a zero-tolerance policy against it (since it's bad for business), and the rather authoritarian policies of government means that it's bad news for anyone taking even a small bribe. In Salvios, business runs like clockwork. Try to disrupt the legal way of doing business, and you bring the fury and wrath of the merchant lords upon you.

Now, the Majli are likely in their positions due to the fact they're CEOs and the like, and still run their respective businesses, but the treat the government as a fellow business; taxes to it are seen as an investment (Though the tax rate is kept relatively low for their benefit), and they actively support the government's social programs like public schooling and the like since that provides them with a better educated work force and one that's less likely to go towards the communist or republican parties (Which aids social stability, and thus makes Salvios a more attractive place for foreign investment. It helps that the government's Tuan is essentially a merchant lord in their own right, and that the government owns the entire arms industry of Salvios, the merchant lords bequeathing it to the new government's ownership.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

I think people are being much too pessimistic about the gravite. Gravite is hardly useless, even when you apply hardly any current to it at all. A ground vehicle that treats deep snow, deep mud, or sand dunes are mere scenery is extremely valuable, and that's not even with feeding any more power to it than you need to lift it off the ground to whatever clearance it needs to maneuver safely. Speaking of, I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that it requires a ridiculous amount of energy to do. It's not nothing, but considering the engine of a gravite/caelium-propelled craft pretty much only needs to feed power to the stuff it should be well within the realm of possibility, especially if it's just a skimmer. It won't replace airplanes, but we can probably build things that fill a role similar to helicopters today: not really useful against fixed wing aircraft (though the gap between the two will most likely be a lot closer since we're dealing with biplanes rather than jets) but exceptional for supporting ground troops or carrying them around. To get started we could do something like this, though I wouldn't support it this turn since we need a lighter machinegun first IMO.

Terbang Gunship
A flying craft, intended to carry infantry or to act as a mobile gun platform. It is roughly 40 feet long and 15 feet wide at the widest, and resembles a small boat or barge, with a curved and heavily armored 'hull' intended to protect against attackers on the ground. It has a flat wooden deck covered with a high metal roof and protected around the edges by a low wall topped with a railing, and a small enclosed cabin at the back housing the control station. The craft is typically quite stable, but carabiners can be attached to the railing or posts supporting the roof during more adventurous maneuvers. It mounts four machine guns, with two at the prow and two near the middle of the deck, and has gangplanks set into the floor on either side to allow quick loading and unloading. The center of the deck is open, to allow for storing cargo or standing room for infantry. Altitude is controlled by modulating the flow of electricity generated by a pair of very large 10-cylinder gavrilium engines to a layer of caelium/gravite set inside the hull. Steering is achieved by feeding more power to certain sections of the hull than the rest, causing that portion of the hull to rise above the rest and cause the craft to move or turn due to gravite/caelium's natural tilt effect.

Or for something less ambitious we could build a floating tank or armored car or other such thing that isn't meant to fly at all. Its engine's only purpose then would be to power a tilt-steering mechanism similar to what the gunship uses and maybe keep it just high enough off the ground to keep it from scraping bottom while it's maneuvering around.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's by no means useless- indeed, it could be very useful. The problem is that if we use it, we're inevitably going to end up doing stuff that is very similar to Abbera. That's fine for our basic equipment, but Gravite was supposed to enable cool, unique things.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

I just want to say, what you guys wanted out of "Gravite" was stupid anyway. Especially this:
Nor could we make bullets that float people into the air
Really, you wanted a material that extracts free energy from the gravitational field so you could use it to fling people around like it's the fucking Matrix?

Not that using a material that extracts free energy from the gravitational field to make "cool sky behemoths" and "floating battleships" is any less dumb. Those things aren't actually cool, at least not past fifth grade. I tell you what, if Fallacy actually dragged me into joining the lame side in this race he owes me another favour.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nor could we make bullets that float people into the air
Really, you wanted a material that extracts free energy from the gravitational field so you could use it to fling people around like it's the fucking Matrix?
No, I didn't want that, Fallacy suggested that.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

No, I didn't want that, Fallacy suggested that.
* Maximum Spin rounds on Fallacy, eye twitching

whyyyyyyyyyy?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Making any calls about doing a design that requires gravite or anything would be premature given the discussion in the coe thread. Lets see if we end up sticking with it first before trying to make use of it.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 88