Hammer Time
- 3 (21.4%)
Time...to die.
- 6 (42.9%)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 88

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 100257 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

Well, we're going to have to work with it I guess. At least we maybe know what MoP was talking about.

Anyways, here's this. I really don't think Myomer is necessary at all.
Design: HLW-12 "Behemoth"

It's time to really put things into gear.

The Behemoth is a massive land vehicle -- comparable to a battleship rather than any existing land vehicle -- that moves itself along the ground using a set of six legs. It has six GA1 cannons on rotating platforms, and GGG-12 nests covering all angles for anti-personnel operations.
It's fairly flat on the surface, in order to save on resource costs. The "bed" is specially armored, in order to avoid a lucky artillery strike from tearing it apart. The "undercarriage" at the front houses the bridge, which is fairly small and is manned by four people -- the captain, helmsman, and two ensigns. It has small glass viewing slits (the bridge relies on visual data relayed via an onboard hardwired comms system [aka cans on a string but slightly more formal] for the most part), and the bridge is fairly armored. Behind that in the undercarriage are the Gavrilium Engines that make this wondrous behemoth possible. Some spartan crew living quarters are arranged (basically just cots with some MREs on a shelf a couple inches away). The top will have lots of sandbags and other fortifications allowing our crew defense.
Minor usage of Gravite amongst the hull allows for a surprisingly relatively light vehicle compared to what you may expect for something of similar size. This plus the Gavrilium Engines gives it a respectable speed (and prevents it from sinking into the ground).

The Behemoth is our first large combat vehicle. A real mobile fortress. It will be best used at the moment as exactly that. Bringing large amounts of troops to the front line, defending them, and serving as a place where we can coordinate our forces from.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We can use gravity instead of legs if I read it correctly, so it's simpler
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd rather not rely too much on Gravite, and it's a thematic choice. I want lumbering behemoths, not pansy-ass big hovercraft.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thing is, Chief, Gravite doesn't work that way now. It doesn't make thing lighter, it just floats above the ground. Which is... really weird, actually. Does it matter how much weight you put on top? How does it 'know' where the ground is? Like, if I put a Gravite bar on top of a tall building, presumably it will still float. But if Gravite simple 'floats' a certain height above a solid object below it, one could attach a Gravite bar to a brick underneath it, and it would fly up into the sky as the Gravite attempts to reach the designated height, pulling the brick up as it does so.
Basically, Abbera asked for a stupid material, and now we're stuck with it.
Long Live United Forenia!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

Basically, Abbera asked for a stupid material, and now we're stuck with it.
If that's the case, I hope they at least gave it a better name. :P

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, just noticed that Nuke.

Ew. Abbera is bad at resources.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The problems with that are... pretty big, not least of which is that we need to actually fix the cannon first. And a lumbering behemoth would be slow and vulnerable to even enemy indirect fire. not to mention the joins of that would be complex, if not outright impractical at this stage.

As for gravite... I had a suspicion it was gonna be hit like that. Mind you, if we got something stupid with it, so has the enemy. And we can use that knowledge to our advantage.

Anyway, for our design... to actually come up with something practical, Perhaps a light machine gun, trench gun or submachine gun would be best? Our infantry would be grateful for the extra firepower.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The problems with that are... pretty big, not least of which is that we need to actually fix the cannon first.
Easy. One revision away. One that we can do this turn.

And a lumbering behemoth would be slow and vulnerable to even enemy indirect fire.
Yep hence the armor.

not to mention the joins of that would be complex, if not outright impractical at this stage
yes we get it myomers yes okay

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, so, in case people missed it in the Discord: yup, they totally did Gravite first, and called it Caelium.

Welp. Guess we're bought in on hovercraft now. Flying battleships are out the window.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

What about heavier-than-air zeppelins? And anti-gravity bullets that levitate enemies into the air?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, we can't do heavier than air zeppelins. Because Caelium just hovers a short distance above the ground, making something fly at a reasonable height will take way too much power.
Nor could we make bullets that float people into the air, because without power, the stuff just hovers a short distance above the ground.
I mean, I'm sure there are tons of interesting things we can do with Caelium, just not any of the things we had in mind for Gravite.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, so, in case people missed it in the Discord: yup, they totally did Gravite first, and called it Caelium.
Hm. Not sure if that's better.

On the one hand, at least it's Latin-sounding. On the other hand, oh, "sky-ium", real clever.

Gonna call it a wash.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

With Caelium's current properties, sure.

But we can add new ones.

Like, rapid flow of electricity can generate gravity waves or something.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We can't change the fact that it's fundamentally designed for hovercraft.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Only with a lack of imagination. Just try refining it or pre-charging it or discover Red Caelium or something.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 88