Hammer Time
- 3 (21.4%)
Time...to die.
- 6 (42.9%)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 88

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 100253 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

Quote from: Votebox for you lazy bastards
ASC-14 "Charybdis" Tactical Aircraft Enhancement program (ASC-14a) (3): Taricus, Jilladilla, Twinwolf
AAP-14 Perahudara Airborne Artillery Platform (2): Madman, Rockeater

Espionage Credit
Operation: False Flag (2): Jilladilla, Twinwolf
Save the Credit
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ASC-14 "Charybdis" Tactical Aircraft Enhancement program (ASC-14a) (3): Taricus, Jilladilla, Twinwolf

Espionage Credit
Operation: False Flag (3): Jilladilla, Twinwolf, Taricus
Save the Credit
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ASC-14 "Charybdis" Tactical Aircraft Enhancement program (ASC-14a) (4): Taricus, Jilladilla, Twinwolf, NUKE9.13

Espionage Credit
Operation: False Flag (4): Jilladilla, Twinwolf, Taricus, NUKE9.13
Save the Credit

I said the Charybdis was reinventing the wheel, and I was right. But now that we've got it, we might as well fix it, and not ignore it to work on the inferior Perahudara. By removing a whole bunch of armour, we should be able to cut costs to at least VE, and quite possibly merely Expensive (after taking into account the resource node we develop this turn).
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well it's mostly conceived of as a way to put more large guns in the air than is possible with the Charybdis, at a lower difficulty to boot.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll lock the Espionage Credit since it's got no votes against, but since there's some wiggle room for the revision and I won't actually be updating for a couple days I'll let that one continue. This is just so I can get to writing out the results of the little quest you guys have accepted and push that update out faster.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1914 A.C. Cold Season (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #950 on: January 05, 2019, 12:16:07 pm »

Year 1914 A.C. Cold Season, Revision Phase

Proposal: ASC-14 "Charybdis" Tactical Aircraft Enhancement program (ASC-14a)
ASC-14 "Charybdis" Tactical Aircraft Enhancement program (ASC-14a)
The Charybdis is a resounding success in Salvios getting a vehicle that actually functions. Unfortunately it still has issues, the biggest of which is cost.

To ease out the logistics of feeling a fleet of these craft, the armour on the bottom of the craft is reduced to a mere 55mm, and the armour on the top side of the craft to 40mm, enabling us to use the metal needed elsewhere. Furthermore, to reduce the amount of myomer ropes needed, and improve craft function, the craft commander is no longer the pilot, and the pilot works in tandem with a co-pilot who manages the 'lifting' GravEngine, enabling the use of shorter ropes for the lifting engine. The myomer rope system for the thrust engine are reworked to eliminate the cramps that occur during flight.

Additionally, harnesses and ropes are provided (Along with the craft being fitted with the appropriate points to attach them to.), along with a new 'safety belt' on the seats of the craft to enable higher-speed manoeuvres to take place and ensure the crew gets through them unscathed. Finally, the landing struts are reinforced enough to tolerate some lateral movement on landing, thereby saving countless hours of work in the repair bays, allowing craft to be sent out more often.

Difficulty: Hard
Result: 10 (6+5-1) = Superior

The Charybdis has undergone a number of changes that have worked to improve functionality all-around. The reduced armor plating and smarter use of materials in the design has made it significantly easier to construct as well as increased speed and mobility. While this would have been an issue, by adding harnesses and protective gear we have largely negated the risk of injury to the crew during high-speed maneuvers. The smarter positioning of the engines and strategic use of myomers has led to a drop in myomer cost as well. The landing struts have been reinforced so the craft can now land reliably. Overall our Charybdis fleet is now a clear force to be reckoned with.

The Charybdis can now reach speeds of 130 km/h and costs 6 Ore, 4 Gavrillium, 3 Caelium, and 2 Myomer, making it (VERY EXPENSIVE).

----------------

CHAPTER ONE-B: AS PLANNED

Someway, somehow, a squad of Salviosi soldiers wandered past enemy lines, discovered their folly, and made their way back to safety. But not before stealing an Abberan Faithful truck which happened to be carrying, of all things, a shipment of flags. While it sat around for a few days a plan was hatched to use it to investigate the signal that had, thanks to the added efforts of our R&D teams, been narrowed down to somewhere within the Cemetery. It was suspected that the signal was coming from the mausoleum at the center of the Cemetery, as it was the only structure that could house a transmitter or relay. Unfortunately the battle lines had been drawn on either side of the Cemetery, so the Salviosi couldn't just walk up to it and check. Which is where the Faithful came in. Antero Sahay had suggested to his superiors that they use the truck to approach the mausoleum under cover of darkness disguised as an Abberan-controlled vehicle. The plan was preposterous, relying on covering the Faithful in the flags it had carried and hoping the Abberans wouldn't fire on such a patriotic act that must surely be them. It was also so preposterous that Antero's superiors volunteered him as part of the team for the task.

Eight men bounced around the back of the truck, along with a driver and a passenger in the cab. Antero and another man were in their Avalanche armor, practically a second skin for them at this point, and while the suit could give up the ruse, the cover of the winter night would cloak them. The ride was tense, but eventually the truck rumbled to a halt and the engine was turned off. The men all dismounted and quickly entered the mausoleum. The interior made Antero inexplicably nauseous and so he quickly made his way through to the back of the chamber, where a stone slab etched with faded names laid on the floor. Something in Sahay told him to smash it, and so he did with one well-placed stomp. Beneath the slab were stairs which spiraled downward.

"Here," he signaled to the rest of the men and they filed down the steps.

The stairs went from carved blocks to stone carved in place as they went downward, eventually coming to an end in a small rough-hewn chamber. A thick wooden door, much newer-looking than the rest of this place, was all that stuck out and so Sahay led the way through it. It led down a long corridor that opened up into another chamber. He could see people darting around within and approached cautiously.

However while he approached he noticed two things: he had a near-uncontrollable urge to just go forward, throwing caution to the wind, and the figures weren't moving - they were flickering.

But Antero knew this would happen. He always knew...right? He stepped into the massive chamber which housed a peculiar arrangement of large silvery spikes protruding like teeth from the floor and ceiling in a circle at the center of the room, with a single massive pillar rising through the center and through the mausoleum above. As he entered the figures stopped flickering. Abberans. Eighteen of them. No, eight. But what were they doing?

The radio they had set up crackled and echoed throughout the chamber.

fzzztttt..."-eed support! Our shroud's gone!"
...tzzzzzz..."-annalan missile on my six, I can't-"
...ksssshhh..."-and if that fucking ORACLE keeps predicting our plans-"
...ffffssttt..."-f you can hear us, there's a Faithful plastered in glorious Abberan flags on the way, but we can't figure out where it ca-"

They all knew what this was. They always had. But if the rest of the world found out? No, that wouldn't do. This place couldn't be known about. But it was, by at least eighteen, no ten, no eight, no, fuck.

Aren Wagner von Blankenbruck, clad in his Crusader Armor, shook Antero, "You're slipping again," he said in a language he did not know but understood as Antero came out of his stupor. There were eight Abberans and ten Salviosi, eighteen. Good. He was back. They were trying to figure out how to prevent any nation getting it's hands on the full unbridled power of this chamber. It acted as a link across worlds, and through time itself. Unfortunately by coming in contact with endless timelines and realms the Abberans and Salviosi had made themselves a fixed constant in time and space, and as such this room needs to exist in one form or another. The cat was out of the bag.

Antero had come to hear of Aren after his meeting on the battlefield. A man of valor and honor, Antero respected him, even if he was a relic of the Old World. The Salviosi, with Abberan help, had brought some explosives with them and had figured out how to best collapse this chamber and, hopefully, destroy everything within it. After they had found the raw form of this Transdimensional Metal in the walls of the cave they had set to digging out what they could. They formulated a plan to create smaller replicas of this chamber at the capital of each nation - this would ensure both sides remained equals while simultaneously denying them access to the Anomaly itself and ensuring they can make contact with the other realities as they're now supposed to.

The only issue was they had no idea when they'd come out of the cavern. The Salviosi had approached from a straight passage that let them see into the chamber and they had seen the Abberans and themselves flickering in and out of, seemingly, existence. Antero theorized that the chamber shifted it's contents around freely, and with a lot of luck, they might come out early enough to construct the chambers without breaking reality. But then, they had to have done it if they still existed, right?

----------------

We Investigated the Signal our radios picked up from the Ancient Monument beneath Salvios. After a thoroughly focused study it seems to allow communication between realms. We do not pretend to fully understand it, but we have made contact with other peoples embroiled in war and may be able to share information with them. Unfortunately lead scientist Doctor Antero Sahay passed away at the moment of discovery. He will be missed.

In other news, a sinkhole opened up under the mausoleum in the Cemetery. Geological surveys will be performed once the city is secured.

It is time to decide on Resource Allocation and Fortification for this season. You will also have to decide on which contacted nation to ally with, though this need not be done immediately, and should be chosen carefully - we wouldn't want to align ourselves with some other world's Abbera, would we?

IT IS NOW THE STRATEGY PHASE.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Territories (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Special Rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Credits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Abberan Armory (click to show/hide)

----------------

As the nations of the world can't really offer you anything I've decided to allow you to choose an alliance with a single nation from (almost) any Arms Race on the forum. There are rules to this however! Wands Race 2 is off-limits due to opsec. You can get assistance from them in the form of requisitioning designs. The first is free, but afterwards you will need to trade them a design that they can utilize! Requisitions are proposed on the Strategy Phase, and you must use a Design to convert and produce the equipment. The benefit to this is, as there is a blueprint of a working device, difficulty is often reduced for you compared to building it from scratch. However they are, as always, susceptible to rolls. You could get a fluke, or perhaps you drastically improve on the design.  If you wish to decide on an alliance immediately you will also be allowed a requisition this phase.

Keep in mind that the further the design strays from your technological level (and your reality) the harder it will become to convert. Other World War 1 era ARs will be easiest to pull from, while the original Wands Race, Ancient Arms Race, or the XCom AR would be more difficult.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To those not on Discord, 2 important points:
1. only things that won't break Opsec, so nothing from Spire Race, BFE WR2 and the like.
2. We need it to be buildeble by us, so not far future sci-fi or high end computers (or almost any computer unless youplan transistors as spical reasurce)
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Taking Mad Arms Race *could* allow us to make use of quite a bit of our technology through various means, and we could really use the Grizzly mech and its weapons options. I think the Grizzly falls into the presently-unoccupied "heavy vehicle that is useful in urban combat" slot that would be really helpful, and will work well when the engine and the muscles are replaced with our special-resource-using options...darn, we'd need to get an older version of it, most likely, one not reliant on our newer developments.

Everything else in Mereth will, admittedly, take some development work to lead up to and possibly also make us consider taking a direction we don't want to take, i.e. guided missiles and jet fighters.

I don't know of many others off the top of my head. Battle for Aljadid would get us gyrojet guns....that aren't super...and railguns which are good but more than a little bit above our technical capabilities (oh, and another form of power armor/powered armor, plus excellent spaceships). Or it'd get us some varieties of laser and droids, which are still pretty far above our tech level (And some impressively lame spaceships :P )...

XCOM AR is a long time ago but everything is above us and entirely dependent on alien technology anyway, so probably not a good option...

Ameliorate Arms Race has nothing to offer us, whatsoever...

Original Wands Race or Spires Race requires magic or Aether, respectively, neither one of which is guaranteed.

There's more but I can't recall them, at least not well enough to suggest possible uses.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I say we fortify the Savannah (we can fortify the crossing with a revision if we get pushed back further), and add Ore to the Plateaus.

I'm not sure about which ally we should go with, though. I am tempted by the possibility of getting computer experience from Mereth, building one out of vacuum tubes, and using it for... codebreaking. But those are dark, forbidden arts, cursed since the days of the first Arms Race, when one codebreaking design led to several turns of naught but improved encryption/decryption technology. So that's off the table... or is it? Surely the AR genre has matured since then. Might now be the time to revisit the possibility?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll vote in favor of the Dark Side.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fortifying the crossing should be our priority, since any other avenue they can come by is already entrenched to a degree.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If they capture the last section of Harren, we will want the crossing at Entrenchment Level 4, not 1 or 2. Fortifying it now would be a waste in that case, since we'd use a revision to jump it straight to 4.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Except that using a revision to fortify anything but harren is a bit of a wasted effort since we can't predict which lanes they'll push. It's entirely possible for them to just bypass our EL 4 territory, especially since beyond the first turn we spring that on them, they're not going to run into those guns.

Not to mention we'll need the revision in that particular case as well.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But hey, at least you've got an extra revision compared to Abbera thanks to that Espionage Credit! That's actually a major reason why I didn't want to give you guys any sort of advantage using the Credit, because in combination with your rules an extra revision can become up to four turns of dedicated action (entrenchment). I was expecting there to be some complaint about not getting any bonus for using the credit, but then I've also been dealing with Kot in Wands Race, which, well, makes you guys look preeeeetty good even at your worst.

Hopefully my consistent working to provide some sort of balance in my broken-ass ruleset gives youse faith in my ability to keep this dimensional stuff from taking the game too far from it's roots.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, as per MoP on Discord, it is possible to cross directly into the Peaks or the Savannah, but the bridges only connect to the Crossing- ie, the Crossing is the most vulnerable to attack, as the river provides a natural line of defence for the other two. So I still think that if we lose Harren we will want to maximally fortify the Crossing. Of course, we can't ignore the other two crossing points, which is why I think we should fortify the Savannah.

Here's the description of the MXETE from MAR:
MXETE: The Mererth eXperimental Electrical Thinking Engine is a revolutionary new device. Utilising new-fangled 'transistors', it is smaller, faster, and more reliable than the computers of the past. With an astounding 4Mb of long-term-memory stored on a magnetic drum, an operating memory of 1200*32bits, a CPU operating at a lightning fast 2Mhz, a state-of-the-art keyboard input interface, and an output interface capable of outputting data both to punch cards and a 'screen', it is a machine that rivals- if not exceeds- the most modern computers in the world.
The MXETE's ability to run calculations at an astounding rate will benefit the Merethine economy, and make our jobs easier when it comes to designing things, but more importantly, it serves as a proof-of-concept for all manner of digitised weaponry- fire-control systems smaller and more accurate than ever before, encryption devices orders of magnitude harder to decipher than any previously seen, missiles capable of mind-boggling levels of intelligence- the list goes on and on.
We've seen the future, and it is digital. Mereth shall not be left behind.
Design: MXETE
Hard  (2+2) - 1 = 3: Buggy Mess

The MXETE is certainly something. A giant mainframe with its own floor underneath the Design Division. It's built using newfangled discrete transistors, and our engineers have even constructed an impressive matrix of lights that can roughly resemble pictures! Input is performed via punch cards, though progress was made on fitting a typewriter as some kind of direct input. We just barely managed to achieve the intended specifications of a 2 MHz CPU, 4 Mb of magnetic drum long-term memory, and an operating memory of 1200*32 bits.

While the MXETE succeeded at its main goal, a high-tech computer (likely the fastest in the world), it is extremely impractical.
Extremely. Impractical.
It takes up its own floor. Not a room, not a portion of the floor, but the entire floor. And the Design Division isn't some short narrow building - each floor is big. Then consider the resources required to build this. Then the sheer cost in manpower. As it stands, we will not be able to build another MXETE any time soon. Significant work is required to miniaturize the MXETE to a practical degree.
Basically, it's a computer. Not a good one, and probably not one we could exactly replicate, but that's not the point- the point is to gain an understanding of computer architecture, so we can build one of our own using vacuum tubes.

Quote from: Botevox
Fortify the
Savannah: (1) NUKE9.13
South Crossing: (1) Taricus

Resource Development
Ore in the Plateaus: (1) NUKE9.13

Alliance & Requisition
Mereth (Mad Arms Race)
  -Requisition MXETE blueprints: (1) NUKE9.13
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 88