Hammer Time
- 3 (21.4%)
Time...to die.
- 6 (42.9%)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 88

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 100356 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile

Quote from: votebox
Emplacements
GA2 "Aegis" Cannon Emplacement (2): Twinwolf, Taricus
GBC-13 Gavrillium Bunker Cannon 'Scylla' (1): Madman
Scorched Earth: Cannon Emplacement. (1): Yami

Flying Machines
GSA-13 Gravite Scouting Aircraft (2): Madman, Jilladilla
"Hawk" Reconnaissance Biplane (2): Twinwolf, Taricus
Aero Harness (1): Yami

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

No vote for any of the emplacements? We are, far as I can tell, supposed to do one of each :p
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Emplacements
GBC-13 Gavrillium Bunker Cannon 'Scylla' (2): Madman, Baffler
Scorched Earth: Cannon Emplacement. (1): Yami

Flying Machines
"Hawk" Reconnaissance Biplane (3): Twinwolf, Taricus, Baffler
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Emplacements
GBC-13 Gavrillium Bunker Cannon 'Scylla' (2): Madman, Baffler
Scorched Earth: Cannon Emplacement. (2): Yami, FallacyofUrist

Flying Machines
"Hawk" Reconnaissance Biplane (4): Twinwolf, Taricus, Baffler, FallacyofUrist
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Emplacements
GBC-13 Gavrillium Bunker Cannon 'Scylla' (3): Madman, Baffler, Rockeater

Flying Machines
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PT-13 Armoured Tiltrotor: Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. Add 'be armoured like a beetle' to that, and you have the Perisai Terbang-13.
The PT-13 resembles a fat monoplane, possessing stubby wings with rotors on the tips, and a short tail. It has a wooden frame, covered in Caelium Steel armour easily capable of stopping rifle bullets, and resistant to heavier arms as well.
The rotors each consist of an enclosed G8 engine (with small electric heater), with a large propeller attached. For takeoff and landing, these are pointed straight up. Both can be freely rotated up to 45° backwards and 90° forwards from vertical. At higher speeds, the small wings provide some lift, allowing the rotors to be tilted further forwards, increasing speed even more. By rotating one slightly more than the other, the craft can be made to turn. Basic control flaps are also included. All in all, this configuration provides excellent mobility.
What it does not provide is enough lift to (easily) haul the PT-13's heavy frame into the air. To this end, the Lifting Engine described here is installed, effectively reducing the weight of the craft considerably.
The PT-13 has a two man crew, a pilot and weapons operator. The two sit side by side in the cockpit, which has bulletproof glass windows offering a fairly good line of sight. The weapons operator has control over a LGG mounted on the nose, as well as bomb mounts on the wings. Behind the cockpit is a small cargo area, that can carry either a handful of soldiers, a small amount of materiel, or a broadcast-only radio.

So, I was thinking, right. Abbera is getting the same requests as us. They're quite likely to do a basic scout plane as well. That's fuckin boring. The above design would be slower, less useful for scouting, but it would be able to provide CAS, and serve as a rapid and versatile transport (it'd be VTOL capable, obvs). Harder? Probably. Theoretical? I doubt it. More expensive? Yes. Worse value for money? No; the added utility would make it more valuable than several cheaper scouts, I think.
Let's do something slightly more interesting.

E: I asked MoP on Discord, and he suggested that doing cool stuff with a foundation of simpler (boring) stuff would be considerably easier. So, fine, basic scout aircraft it is.

Emplacements
GBC-13 Gavrillium Bunker Cannon 'Scylla' (4): Madman, Baffler, Rockeater, NUKE9.13

Flying Machines
GSA-13 Gravite Scouting Aircraft (3): Madman, Jilladilla, NUKE9.13
PT-13 Armoured Tiltrotor:

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 07:44:05 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've reworked the GSA design to make more sense and be clearer. It changed no functionality, by the way.

So, the problems with the PT-13 are numerous, sadly, cause it really would be cool to be able to do that. Tiltrotors are insanely hard to get right (and the Gravite Lifting Engine can do anything the tiltrotor can do, except easier), the amount of armor is going to make it expensive both in Ore, Caelium, and Gavrillium because of the massive engine power it'll require. The GSA-13 is also VTOL-capable, makes use of our original intent for Gravite (flying behemoths here we come), is substantially easier and bound to be Cheap because of it's lightweight construction (again saving Gavrillium costs due to the lessened engine-power requirements).

Yes, it might be similar to what Abbera is going to do...but at least it'll have cool extra uses. And honestly, if they do the same thing, who cares? This path leads inevitably to floating battleships, and who doesn't want a three-dimensional naval battle in the sky?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

Soooooo about those emplacements. You guys probably all know by now that I'm not much for this part, but I have a suggestion. My suggestion is "more caelium".

LRSA-13 'Bombardier Beetle' Long-Range Skydrop Artillery Emplacement:
The Bombardier Beetle is the first successful application of our recently-developed skydrop artillery concept. Each shell fired by the Beetle (itself a fairly standard and unobjectionable artillery cannon) is equipped with a specially-designed Caelium* 'booster' which enables it to reach altitudes well beyond what the power of the cannon would ordinarily allow; the booster then separates from the shell at peak altitude (it eventually falls to the ground and can in principle be retrieved and recycled), whereupon the shell immediately plummets ballistically earthward with its ordinary inertia. The skydrop effect, needless to say, has a substantial minimum range, but if you wanted to use an artillery emplacement at close range in the first place you were probably doing something terribly wrong.

Emplacements
GBC-13 Gavrillium Bunker Cannon 'Scylla' (4): Madman, Baffler, Rockeater, NUKE9.13
LRSA-13 'Bombardier Beetle' (1): Maximum Spin

Flying Machines
GSA-13 Gravite Scouting Aircraft (4): Madman, Jilladilla, NUKE9.13, Maximum Spin

*Rumours of an escalating prank war between so-called 'Caelium-user' and 'Gravite-user' research group members are extremely accurate.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:24:37 am by Maximum Spin »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a neat idea, but it'll be really unpredictable---the longer a shell stays up, the more wind affects its trajectory, plus the more time it has to wander side to side. If anything, a really awesome use might be to use a series of ever-smaller Caelium boosters---a single gun could fire, say, ten shells at maximum firerate, and they all come down at roughly the same time for a one-gun bombardment of sorts. Even that has limited usefulness, of course.

Honestly, it's probably better to just make a Gavrillium rocket engine and stick THAT on the back.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Emplacements
GBC-13 Gavrillium Bunker Cannon 'Scylla' (3): Madman, Baffler, NUKE9.13
LRSA-13 'Bombardier Beetle' (2): Maximum Spin, Rockeater

Flying Machines
GSA-13 Gravite Scouting Aircraft (5): Madman, Jilladilla, NUKE9.13, Maximum Spin, Rockeater

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:21:38 am by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a neat idea, but it'll be really unpredictable---the longer a shell stays up, the more wind affects its trajectory, plus the more time it has to wander side to side.
I acknowledge that it may be more 'Mad Arms Race' than 'Industrialised Warfare', but, come on, it'd be really funny.
If anything, a really awesome use might be to use a series of ever-smaller Caelium boosters---a single gun could fire, say, ten shells at maximum firerate, and they all come down at roughly the same time for a one-gun bombardment of sorts.
Ooh, that's good, we should do that too.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The emplacement designed this turn will also be subject to special rules: cost will only be calculated by the variety of resources used (1-2 for Cheap, +1 for each level after that) and will be deployed in any sector with an Entrenchment of 1 or more.
Did you miss this part?  I think you missed this part.  Our GA1Bs are already Expensive by this route, meaning I think every other Emplacement design ends up being Expensive.  Adding another resource makes your design Very Expensive.  Although I could see arguement for the Jotun being Very Expensive, I'd argue the Lifting Suits are already made and we don't need to count myomer as part of the design.  (They are mentioned as needed for the loading of the cannon.)

However, should you want lots of explosions, I do have a concept that'll probably be an easy roll thanks to being the third design we've done on the same theme...  I mean, I literally designed for... wait for it... 'Maximum Spin'.

Ugh.  No one else wants Balloon Troopers do they.  I'm never getting Airbourne, might as well accept it.

Emplacements
GBC-13 Gavrillium Bunker Cannon 'Scylla' (3): Madman, Baffler, NUKE9.13
LRSA-13 'Bombardier Beetle' (2): Maximum Spin, Rockeater

Flying Machines
GSA-13 Gravite Scouting Aircraft (5): Madman, Jilladilla, NUKE9.13, Maximum Spin, Rockeater
"Hawk" Reconnaissance Biplane (5): Twinwolf, Taricus, Baffler, FallacyofUrist, Yami
Aero Harness (0):

~Yami, Mad Genius Scientist.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 09:12:43 am by Yami »
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know, I'd like to advise that the GM is likely to being in a -4 modifier to the rolls for stuff that's extremely improbable. Which is what I'd suspect would happen to the GSA. Moreover the Caelium engine (Gravite sucks ass as a name for a material) seems a little... out of place on a scout craft, given that we'd want a simple and relatively cheap aircraft for the role.

Moreover, there's more than a few suspicions that the craft we make here is also going to be used for the espionage credit, if the aircraft we make doesn't work, neither will our espionage credit. Debunked by the GM
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 09:20:55 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did you miss this part?  I think you missed this part.
I didn't miss anything. I simply made a choice.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fair.

Also, I really do want to know if Aberra went Navy considering the rumors.  I'm thinking we need more artillery and bombardment options for our army.  I'm liking the Mountain Man hand cannon concept more an more.

~Yami, Mad Genius Scientist.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 09:37:48 am by Yami »
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 88