Hammer Time
- 3 (21.4%)
Time...to die.
- 6 (42.9%)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 88

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 100371 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

GBC-13 Gavrillium Bunker Cannon 'Scylla'
Named for the Greek monster with incredibly fast and hard-hitting bites from above, the GBC-13 is a 105mm emplacement weapon designed to be built into bunkers and used to deny large swathes of (open) terrain to the enemy. The gun fires a variety of rounds including Gavrillium incendiary (based on the M2 grenade) and HE as well as solid shot (can be deployed to defend coastlines against hostile naval activity). It is basically a field gun, firing at high velocities on direct lines, incapable of indirect fire. It uses the same alloys and Gavrillium gunpowder as the GA1b, though we can, of course, utilize rounds without Gavrillium powder if it is necessary to fire more rounds in a shorter length of time. The gun itself is not terribly complicated, the main difference from the GA1b being in the high velocity projectiles rather than the low velocities of a howitzer. The largest bunkers equipped with GBC-13s also make use of a central Gavrillium generator, which provides power to electric lighting, heating (where necessary), and generous numbers of fans where cooling is required. These generators are truly there, however, not to comfort the troops, but to produce a source of cold. A water system pipes water to all the GBC-13s in the bunker, running through water sleeves around the barrel and breech and then back to the generator, keeping the generator at operating temperature and cooling the cannons to allow them to fire faster.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome, I come back to check the Madman post and find our combat phase concluded!  So, seem like the mountains and caves didn't give us any problems.  I'mma call our anti personnel situation good for now.

Hmmm, emplacements huh.  And aero capacity.  Whelp, I guess yeah, our other stuff takes a backseat.  We're pretty set I think on artillery and machine guns, which I'd normally think of in terms of emplacements.  Let's see.

Scorched Earth: Cannon Emplacement.
"Gentlemen, first we came up with the senapeng, and made from that the 3G machine gun.  And it was glorious.  Now we have the GA1B and are asked for more.  I say we follow suit.  I propose a GavEngine powered triple barreled artillery cannon designed to walk artillery fire unceasingly across a line of battle.  I want a constant unending barrage.  It will be huge, immobile, and mighty.  I want our enemies to know the certainty of destruction raining down upon them, to see their fate coming in a line of explosions and be unable to stop it.  Are you with me?"

Aero Harness
What better way to put eyes in the sky than a Gravite harness with attached mini helium balloon!?  We use the same backpack mounted engine from our Trusty mountain man suits, only instead on a Gravite harness, with an attached mini balloon for backup and added lift.  Should either one of the elements, engine or balloon fail, the other should allow a controlled or at least less than fatal descent for our scouts!  They could even be given a senapeng and binoculars, for scouting and defense!

Quote from: votebox
Designs
GA2 "Aegis" Cannon Emplacement (1): Twinwolf
GSA-13 Gravite Scouting Aircraft (1): Madman198237
GBC-13 Gavrillium Bunker Cannon 'Scylla' (1): Madman198237
Scorched Earth: Cannon Emplacement. (1): Yami
Aero Harness (1): Yami

Edit: Huh, both me'n Madman went rapid firing cannons.  Though I think he went for more reliability as opposed to ridiculousness.  Huh... I wonder if we could work either a devastator or field gun outta the emplacement design?

~Yami, Mad Genius Scientist.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 09:05:16 pm by Yami »
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

I don't think it's generally good form to place other people's votes for them, just going to note. People don't always vote for their own designs :P
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Especially not if said people are tossing ideas about like I have been.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, sorry.  I figured you two made em, you wanted em, and could clear em out as needed.  I'll stop.

Designs
GA2 "Aegis" Cannon Emplacement (0):
GSA-13 Gravite Scouting Aircraft (0):
GBC-13 Gavrillium Bunker Cannon 'Scylla' (0):

~Yami.
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean, even if people make a design and like it, it doesn't exclude the possibility of new designs they like more popping up.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In this case you weren't wrong, but it is still a better idea to just place your own votes especially if those clueless teammates are voting against you again, maybe they'll forget to vote and let you win by default :P

Well, Twin, that's why you can change your votes later. It's still good form to not assume---it makes twice as much work for both you and them, because if they want to change it they've got to remove the votes you put down first.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yup.  Gotcha.  Honestly, I'll may end up changing my emplacement vote myself, since Madman's seems like a more reasonable, if less excessive version of my cannon.

Still not sure aiming for excessive isn't the way to go though...

Oh and before you all point out the glaring flaws in speed on my Aerotroopers, I'd like to point out that the design is trying to skip steps to go straight to well, airborne infantry.  I was trying to get the Gravite harness up early as a prelude.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 09:15:20 pm by Yami »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, my gun fills a different role from the automatic artillery cannon of barrel-melting National Effort expense that you've proposed. The Scylla is direct-fire and ultimately meant to end the threat of armored assaults rolling through our fortifications.

Speaking of which, we should invent shaped-charges and rapidly progress towards the ability to deploy glider infantry (or just VTOL Gravite aircraft infantry, instead of gliders. Speaking of which, I'm rewriting that ridiculous aircraft writeup now. Why bother with wings when you can just increase the effect by spinning the Gavrillium rods faster?), so we can just Plan Yellow any hostile fortresses with air assault.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Anti-grav plane is a little ambitious and opened up for failure at the same time. Probably best to get something workable and then try for something like that as we gain experience.

'Hawk' Reconnaissance Biplane
Fairly adherent to the design philosophies of Königschön's aircraft, the Hawk is purpose build with reconnaissance in mind: A two person craft, one pilot and one intelligence officer/gunner, intended to fly over enemy lines to survey and map these areas.

Mounting an LGG-12 in the rear seat to be manned by the intelligence officer, along with a Ceramah radio and a camera system to enable the intelligence officer provide the material to make accurate maps (Which, given the range of the radio, would be pretty useful for bombarding their rear areas.)

With a fairly powerful Gavrilium engine, the Hawk's chassis mounts Caelium steel armour on the underside to protect the craft from rifle fire. Additionally, the engine mounts an electric heater in order to counteract the 'overcooling' problem the engine has, as well as keeping the crew warm.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 08:38:27 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The emplacement designed this turn will also be subject to special rules: cost will only be calculated by the variety of resources used (1-2 for Cheap, +1 for each level after that) and will be deployed in any sector with an Entrenchment of 1 or more.

Yeah, you're right.  Our emplacements are a bit too different.  I'mma stay the course.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it's a bit much to try to put guns on planes right off the bat, but I do agree with probably needing some experience in normal aircraft before we jump straight to antigravity. We've already got bit by a "theoretical" difficulty before, and I don't want to take that kind of risk when we have a chance to scout them (and going by how much land they're clearing, I actually think an air-based espionage credit would be particularly effective for us).

Emplacements
GA2 "Aegis" Cannon Emplacement (1): Twinwolf

Flying Machines
"Hawk" Reconnaissance Biplane (1): Twinwolf
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 07:38:23 am by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It shouldn't be too hard to put a gun on a plane, provided that it doesn't fire through the propeller arc since an interrupter gear would be difficult on it's lonesome.

Emplacements
GA2 "Aegis" Cannon Emplacement (2): Twinwolf, Taricus

Flying Machines
"Hawk" Reconnaissance Biplane (2): Twinwolf, Taricus

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My flying machine is based off of the initial proposal for Gravite with the side fluff of using spinning Gavrillium instead of electricity as we originally planned. Basically, it *can't* be harder than the Abberans' first use of Caelium, whatever that was, otherwise the whole "merging special resources" thing is just actively screwing us over. If their first use was like ours, this plane should be VH at worst. Do note, of course, that we've got more experience working with Gavrillium motors and Caelium in general than we did when we first deployed the Kerata, so it shouldn't be that bad.

Oh, and for revisions: A simple revision should easily be capable of fixing the Kerata---replace the undercarriage with an Armored Sled derivate and replace the motor, it should actually work. Increasing the armor also shouldn't be too hard.

Emplacements
GA2 "Aegis" Cannon Emplacement (2): Twinwolf, Taricus
GBC-13 Gavrillium Bunker Cannon 'Scylla' (1): Madman

Flying Machines
GSA-13 Gravite Scouting Aircraft (1): Madman
"Hawk" Reconnaissance Biplane (2): Twinwolf, Taricus

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Kerata has issues with the chassis also having to be retrofitted form a civilian vehicle. Casting out the caelium undercarriage and just using caelium steel as the weight reductor would lead to a more reliable armoured car. And we may as well get rid of the fire points since those are awkwardly placed and focus the Kerata on being an APC.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 88