Hammer Time
- 3 (21.4%)
Time...to die.
- 6 (42.9%)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 88

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 100307 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

The reason GM fiat exists is so that even if people complain, regardless of how obnoxious they are or how many people agree with them, they still maintain ultimate control over the game when they need it. So far I'm having fun playing and I think Man of Paper has done a good job so far, there's no reason to lynch him over a minor disagreement.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Good, we are completely agreed. There is no need to lynch him, and it is perfectly reasonable to disagree. Well, I won't say that there's NO need to lynch him, after all he's running an Arms Race, therefore he is insane. So let's keep our options open, OK?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ladies, Gentlemen and my esteemed colleagues, I believe I have hit upon the exact thing to support our infantry in the field.  Since we've decided not to go with the Gravite plate refinement for our infantry on the whole I have devised a personnel carrier to carry them to the field, with design consideration to take into account our strategic situation and not without use in combat as well.

The Crash Cart as my assistants are calling it, is designed with an armoured prow meant for ramming through buildings, with the engines in back.  That's right, engines.  It is a dual engine machine running off both an oil and a Gavrilium engine with shared cooling to cover eachother's weaknesses.  Each engine able to be down geared to keep the entire vehicle in motion in case one gets hit.  Now, I know what you're all thinking, 'wouldn't the difference in engine sizes make the vehicle unbalanced?'.  Well, it would, if we didn't also slap enough armour plating on the Gav-engine side to stop our own rifle rounds, complete with an armoured skirt to cover the wheels in combat.  Entry would be from the less armoured side.  This gives us an armoured mobile pillbox that can hold a gatling gun or some infantry and can make doors in city fighting where most men see only walls.  Unlike a normal pillbox we could keep mobile to keep enemy artillery guessing.  The entire point of this design is excessive redundancy, so we're also planning a secondary rear facing driver's seat, in case something happens to the front.  I understand this design may be a tad expensive, but it will utilize the underutilized oil deposits we've found, as well as further covering our bases in both the open field and closer knit city fighting.

Tactical doctrine, would, doubtless consider armoured convoys of two Carts driving side by side, each a mirror, covering the weaker section of the other.

As for further infantry assistance.  I know not everyone is a fan of a full BDU redesign, so I suggest a compromise.  In taking the plateaus we had to send but a select few men up to the top to clear the enemy.  Whilst it was a success, I feel we could've weighted things further in our favour.  I propose we make a few Gravite harnesses to be used as needed and spread them out amongst the men.

Gravite Harness: Designed to assist in climbing and take full advantage of vertical terrain, the Gravite harness is a simple infantry harness with gravite plates designed to allow an infantryman mobility upon the field of battle and easy access to rooftops or to assist in scaling cliff-sides or other walls.  It should allow a fully grown man in full combat kit to cavort about like a trained acrobat.

Gentlemen, I fully believe we will meet Abbera at Harren, and when we do, I want them to see only walls and choke-points whilst we see only possibilities.

Quote from: votebox
Resource Credit:
Myomer (8): Rockeater, Chiefwaffles, Jilladilla, Taricus, Maximum Spin, FallacyofUrist, Twinwolf, Baffler
Natural Gasses (1): Yami

Infantry Support Vehicle
MArSA (1): Parsely
Crash Cart (1): Yami

Non-Combat Support
SVR-1 (1): Parsely
Gravite Harness (1): Yami
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 05:32:51 pm by Yami »
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

Resource Credit:
Myomer (8): Rockeater, Chiefwaffles, Jilladilla, Taricus, Maximum Spin, FallacyofUrist, Twinwolf, Baffler

Infantry Support Vehicle
MArSA (1): Parsely
Kerata Armored Car (1): Twinwolf

Non-Combat Support
SVR-1 (2): Parsely, Twinwolf
Gravite Harness (1): Yami
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The SVR might be best done in a research credit design given it's man-portable nature.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Resource Credit:

Infantry Support Vehicle
MArSA (2): Parsely, FallacyofUrist

Non-Combat Support
Gravite Harness (2): Yami, FallacyofUrist
Gotta go fast!
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could someone add the mountain suit to the vote please? :P

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

I like the extra tires, that's a good idea so I included it in the MArSA, but a small increase in firepower at the cost of not being able to transport infantry at all is not a good trade in my opinion. As long as the car is cheap, reliable, and halfway decent off-road then regardless of its other features you get motorized infantry companies which is a massive game changer when it comes to the offensive. When we get an autocannon or similar then we could always revise the MArSA into a proper light armored attack vehicle to fill the role you're going for here, but if you're set on going for it now I think you should suggest a light tank rather than an armored scout car.

Strategically speaking I'm convinced. That all seems sensible, and it'll be practically impossible to revise the Kerata as a troop carrier but the MArSA should be fairly easy to turn into a dedicated combat vehicle. I'd like it better if it used the gravite system from the Kerata too, if only because we need to get experience in using it, but I'll support it as-is.

Resource Credit:

Infantry Support Vehicle
MArSA (3): Parsely, FallacyofUrist, Baffler

Non-Combat Support
'Mountain' Myomer Lifting Kit (1): Taricus
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Honestly if we could rename the MArSA with the Kerata's name we might break the curse of our stuff being awfully named :P

Resource Credit:

Infantry Support Vehicle
MArSA (3): Parsely, FallacyofUrist, Baffler, Taricus

Non-Combat Support

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well how about this then :P

Resource Credit:

Infantry Support Vehicle
MArSA (5): Parsely, FallacyofUrist, Baffler, Taricus, Twinwolf
     -Rename it Kerata Armored Car (1): Twinwolf
Kerata Armored Car (0):

Non-Combat Support
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is one change that should be made to the armored car---it shouldn't have the grenade projectors, instead the turret should just be capable of taking anything we design that is the same size or smaller than the LGG-12. If we need explosives, we can add them later.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile

Right. I took it upon myself to post my own thing (ok, to be perfectly honest, it's Parsely's MArSA with modifications... Look, I'm sorry Parsely, but most of us are in agreement that your thing is more or less almost perfectly matches what we want to do!)

Differences:
-The basic anti-grav undercarriage from the Kerata
-Modularity in the turret, instead of both developing grenade projectors and modifying our grenades to be compatible with it
-Better name that kinda fits with both the naming scheme we seem to have adopted, while being less boring.

ArC-12 'Kerata Armored Car'
An armored car for general use by a rifle squad, whether in operational travel, tactical frontline patrols, or as a company weapons asset for supporting assaults. The engine compartment contains a powerful Gavrilium engine capable of a blazing fast 72 km/h top speed. Behind that is a fighting compartment which contains a driver, who operates the vehicle from behind an armored viewport they can raise for increased visibility, the gunner, and the assistant gunner who operate a light, hand-rotated turret that mounts an LGG-12 (or any similarly sized weapon). The turret has a raised cupola that has armored viewports facing in every direction so it can be used for protected visibility. Behind the fighting compartment is the passenger compartment, enclosed on all sides with a rear exit hatch designed with ease of loading bulky equipment in mind, with seats which fit 4 men on each side and double as storage lockers. The engine compartment, fighting compartment, turret, and passenger compartment are protected by light armor for defending against shrapnel and rifle rounds. The vehicle is equipped with 6 tires (2 front, 4 rear) for off-road travel, an aspect enhanced by the inclusion of a fairly minimalistic set of Caelium plates mounted on the undercarriage. These plates are nowhere near sufficient to properly lift the Kerata, but serve to effectively lighten the armored car, improving performance in areas where high weight is a notable malus; like deserts or swamps, although power to these can be severed if the driver wishes for the full weight and traction of the vehicle. Lugs are on the sides of the vehicle for mounting tools and spare tires in case of emergencies. There are running boards for mounting extra passengers or equipment. It's capable of towing the GA1 cannon and transporting its crew to boost the mobility of our artillery units.

Resource Credit:

Infantry Support Vehicle
MArSA (5): Parsely, FallacyofUrist, Baffler, Taricus, Twinwolf
     -Rename it Kerata Armored Car (1): Twinwolf
Kerata Armored Car (0):
ArC-12 'Kerata Armored Car' (1): Jilladilla

Non-Combat Support

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Resource Credit:

Infantry Support Vehicle
MArSA (4): Parsely, FallacyofUrist, Baffler, Taricus
Kerata Armored Car (0):
ArC-12 'Kerata Armored Car' (2): Jilladilla, Twinwolf

Non-Combat Support
Sigtext!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Honestly I can't support it with the caelium undercarriage. I mean, given what the vehicle is the undercarriage does nothing that the vehicle isn't already doing, and mud & sand isn't a weight problem as much as it is surface tension problem. We'd need an undercarriage and transmission similar to the kubelwagen if we want something that's good there.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With the Caelium undercarriage we could have more armor for less effective weight and therefore more speed for a given set of characteristics. It has no downsides that I can see, not in the limited form that we're applying it in right now.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 88