Hammer Time
- 3 (21.4%)
Time...to die.
- 6 (42.9%)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 88

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 100311 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

I'm not sure that, at this point, the issue is the cooling. I think the issue is how fast the gun can physically fire. Cooling is not the only thing that determines rate of fire, the mechanism can only go so fast and I think we're running up against that limit rather than barrel-melting.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, because the LGG-12 is faster than the GGG-12. Therefore, either the GGG-12 spews heat fast enough to melt the barrel if we increase fire rate any more, OR we haven't really hit the limit of fire rate.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean I'm not just going to hand you miniguns 60 years early. That said, the revision that got you the LGG-12 called for a significant reduction in weight while somehow maintaining weapon shape even though the method of dealing with the weight involved altering the barrel and firing chambers. I've given you practically free water jackets from now on if you read the results of the revision, and with a few turns left before you even encounter Abbera you can work specifically on dealing with the cooling issue with the GGG-12 (as opposed to creating a variant to deal with the issue), but you're already numerically pushing past comparable tech in our timeline - any improvement is likely going to sacrifice something else.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually the revision doesn't ask for a reduction in weight, just a reduction in Gavrillium usage. The jacket should still fit over the GGG-12.

Also, there's no actual reason for us to NOT develop a Minigun, and they're also not 60 years out. A brief glance suggests that the guns were developed in the late 40s and the General Electric test platform was a literal Gatling gun built in 1903, hooked up to a simple electric motor.

There is no logical reason for us to NOT have the things. If you don't want it to be OP, just recall that those things go through ammo like nothing else, which means that we need to have good logistics to make it work.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

So, a major problem with the MARS rover, or whatever, is that it is super boring
Yeah it is but I was expecting people to give me suggestions, so kindly tell me what would it take to make the MARS infectious disease stimulate your brain meat

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

By removing gavpowder while creating a "Light(er) Gatling Gun" am I not supposed to assume that the aim was to reduce weight? Where else would the weight to make it lighter be taken from if that's the request? Or by "light" did you want it to shoot smaller rounds? Or provide a lighter concentration of fire? The only reduction you actually seem to ask for is in range. Is that all you wanted when you said "lighter"?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's a reason it says Light(er), and that's mostly so it has a different name. The parentheses are to point out the humor in the fact that it's actually not really a lighter design except in material cost.

If I want something, I will put it in the design blurb, it won't go in the name. Everyone works that way in an Arms Race---otherwise Moskurg's Tiger Armor would've been a very expensive suit of armor fitted for tigers, and that's really, REALLY not the idea behind the armor.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe not on its own, but when paired with a request that would allow for reducing the weight of the weapon it seems much less like a "humorous" name than you seem to think. Don't worry though, I guess from now on everything is only by the letter, nothing in a design unless it's exclusively mentioned.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I honestly don't have a problem with the design we got, and this seems kind of like nitpicking when we *still* got a greatly increased rate of fire in addition to the other stuff.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hm, I get where you're coming from (though I didn't realize that we could get that much weight reduction out of it), though since it wasn't specifically asked for and the roll was good it would've been reasonable (or so it seems to me) to just apply the water jacket to the GGG-12 even if the LGG-12 was thinned down enough that it can't take the jacket anyway.

Regardless, there's no call to respond in that way, the mistake was yours even if it is understandable.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can understand the reaction when someone complains at length about getting a stronger effect than intended/expected because it wasn't acheived in the expected way.
Sigtext!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can understand the reaction when someone complains at length about getting a stronger effect than intended/expected because it wasn't acheived in the expected way.
Ummm.….actually I was imagining we'd get a stronger effect than we did, I also haven't "complained at length". I have brought up points in what is intended to be read as a reasonable argument about why we COULD and/or should have Miniguns/Vulcans/very fast-firing rotary weapons now despite them being apparently ahead of the times.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It sort of came across like complaining about something more effective than we should have, in all honesty. And I apparently underestimated how effective you intended it to be. That said, I do think you're trying to push too much on this. We have a very effective machine gun, and the GM has literally said that we're not likely getting more effective without significant tradeoffs. I think going for outright miniguns right now is too much (similar to trying to get single-man-portable machine guns this early and, well, it's amazing the SMG turned out as good as it did)
Sigtext!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why not? Like I said, GE plugged an electric motor onto a 1903 Gatling gun and got 5600 rounds per minute out of it for a short time. We can certainly achieve that, ESPECIALLY if our engine helps keep the barrels cool. Though we may or may not need to add more barrels to achieve similar fire rates.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

Relatedly, if I wanted to be stuck with GM fiat without even the chance to make arguments about what should happen, I'd be playing a computer game. Practically the entire point of having a human in the loop there, for me, is that humans can be reasoned with when a player thinks something is wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 88