Hammer Time
- 3 (21.4%)
Time...to die.
- 6 (42.9%)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 88

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 100156 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

It's still politics.

You knew the mad man is anti-cat and anti-biotech and all that.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

Of course I looked at what the things actually were to the same extent that I do in any arms race. Which is "probably not very thoroughly but you'll just have to live with that".

(Much later ETA: Don't get me wrong, I can't promise that these are the votes I would've made without Fallacy having asked me, but I did consciously decide "yes, I'll go along with his nonsense today" rather than just blankly rubber-stamping it.)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 12:33:15 pm by Maximum Spin »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mm, fair enough then.
Long Live United Forenia!

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are those choiceses always like that?
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, wait.  There's access to a Volcanic range!  Volcanoes!  Magma!  We could do so much.

Personally, I'd've rather had some natural gasses, like helium or something, so we could make blimps.  Wait, wait... hot air infantry troopers!  We could cross the peaks!  They'd never see it coming!

As for infantry weapons.  I'm a huge fan of the trench gun.  I mean, talk about unfair.

~Yami, Mad Genius Scientist.
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Year -3 Cold Season, Design Phase

Proposal: Gavrilium
Specialty Resource: Gavrilium
Gavrilium is a resource unlike no other.
In a way, it could be compared to coal. Locked inside it is immense amounts of energy. Immense. But unlike coal,
Gavrilium is not only an intense source of power, but its structure is extraordinarily unique. We believe that through manipulation in mechanisms involving Gavrilium and in the refining of Gavrilium, we can do some truly awesome things that one normally wouldn't associate with "just" a power source. But most of its uses are theoretical. Until now, Gavrilium has been the pride of Salvios. The best-kept secret of our nation that allowed us to power our behemoths and factories where we'd normally not even have a few ounces of coal.

But with the rising hostilities, we're forced to put the mines into full production and start researching ways to turn this wondermaterial into a material of war. Sure, the secret may and probably will get out, but sacrifices must be made for the people of Salvios.

Gavrilium: Discovered in veins and pockets throughout the island, Gavrilium is a material who's potential is only now being truly explored. We know it burns much like coal when a slow heat is applied, but it appears other interactions have unique effects with the material. Further experimentation is necessary.

In game terms, ultimately your rolls on designs using Gavrilium will determine it's properties as time goes on. If, for example, you try shocking Gavrilium to produce a certain effect for a design and get a high roll then shocking Gavrilium will be defined as having that effect. Low rolls will result in the effects of the interacting being wholly different than desired.

------------

Proposal: Senapang Pattern Rifle
Senapang Pattern Rifle: Sometimes, you just need a simple gun to do a simple job. The Senapang is not a flashy piece of kit by any stretch- borrowing heavily from rifles deployed elsewhere in the world, it would not look out of place in anyone's arsenal. What distinguishes the Senapang is the craftsmanship our gunsmiths have put into it. It is reliable, easy to use, accurate, and relatively simple to manufacture.
The Senapang is a bolt-action rifle firing 7.7mm rounds from a 10-round internal magazine (reloaded with 5-round stripper clips, or one round at a time). It has fixed front sights, and an adjustable rear sight for longer-ranged shooting.
There isn't much else to say. We were asked for a primary firearm, here it is. The only unusual thing about it is how much time we spent polishing the design.

Difficulty: Normal
Result: 10 (4+6+0) = Superior Craftsmanship

The Senapang Pattern Rifle is a thing of beauty. Taking inspiration from some of the finest weapon designs across the world, Salviosi engineers opted to design and refine a bolt-action rifle. The rifle is made of a beautiful dark wood, weighs 4 kilograms and measures 110 cm from butt to muzzle. The 7.7mm rounds are fed into the 10-round internal magazine individually or through 5-round stripper clips. The butt of the rifle is padded with leather and proves to be effective in lessening the impact of the rifle on the operator from recoil. The best part about the Senapang is it's reliability in both the combat and maintenance senses. The gun is effective out to 600 meters with an adjustable rear sight in increments of 100 meters, though a good marksman is capable of bringing down targets much further out - the limiting factor here is the human eye moreso than weapon inaccuracy. The Senapang was also tested in multiple substandard situations and proved to be capable of firing after being dropped in sand and mud in most cases. It's a brilliantly designed rifle that even puts some larger nations to shame.

Engineers also had the foresight to design a bayonet lug and bayonet for the rifle. There is also a small metal plate on the bottom of the butt of the rifle that soldiers can have etched with text of their choice. Many opt to put their own or their rifle's names, but some soldiers are more...flavorful.

Overall the Senapang Pattern Rifle costs 2 Ore and 2 Wood, making it (CHEAP).

-------------

Proposal: M1 Dispersion Grenade
Design: M1 Dispersion Grenade
Naturally, the first war-time use of Gavrilium our scientists came up with, was explosives.
Gavrilium processed in the right way becomes a tad bit unstable (something we never thought as useful beyond accidentally blowing up factories that had messed up refining). So we put this unstable stuff in a special casing and hook it up to a pin. The grenade is shaped as a stick with the explosives bundled on one end, to facilitate throwing.

A switch on the grenade casing, if switched on, causes the casing to start falling apart roughly around the time where a thrown grenade would reach max height. This causes the Gavrilium-U to fall out of the grenade, dispersing itself into a wide area. Once it hits the ground, it should explode quite volatilly for a wonderful area of effect. If the switch isn't messed with, the Gavrilium-U explodes all at once on a timer with the rest of the grenade.

Difficulty: Very Hard
Result: 2 (2+2-2) = Utter Failure

This was...not optimal. Our experiments with Gavrilium led us to believe we could create an effective grenade with the material, but we were wrong. When the fuse sets off the charge in the grenade the sudden burst of energy agitates the Gavrilium, causing it to heat rapidly and uncontrollably. Within moments the grenades would turn to molten slag flung in an arc. The switch made things worse. Trying to switch the grenade to a secondary mode wound up setting off the charge prematurely, turning it into hot liquid metal in the user's hands.

The M1 only costs 1 Ore and 1 Gavrilium, but is extremely ineffective. At least we have learned that applying an explosive force to Gavrilium causes it to rapidly heat past it's melting point.

---------------

Uniform Proposal: BSU
Berani Standard Uniform: Made primarily of cotton dyed khaki (light brown-ish colour), the Berani Standard Uniform is relatively lightweight, in order to not hinder our troops as they bravely march forth. It has leather patches dyed a slightly darker brown on the elbows and knees, brass buttons, and plenty of pockets. It comes with a round steel helmet with a wide brim, and belts and satchels made from strong cotton webbing. An entrenching tool is included as well.
For deployment in colder weather environments, a thick woolen coat dyed olive drab is available.

APPROVED AS IS

--------------

The war for this island rolls closer by the day, and so we are glad to have engineers willing to handle requests. As such, you have been awarded two design credits to be used in the revision phase. You have a single revision to dedicate to one of your accomplishments from this phase as well. Do make haste though, we can smell the Abberans from the capital.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Territories (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

Oh, great.

So now Gavrilium is useless as an explosive because we rolled badly with it. Fucking RIP.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With that kind of interaction, yes. Not necessarily through other means.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Told yea.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I knew that was gonna happen CW :P

Though MoP I'd like to note that our most recent votebox was squarely tied with all options.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

What?
Not at one point did you say that “oh a bad roll is going to ruin Gavrilium!” Rochester, and please do keep in mind that the exact same thing can happen with any other material. Gavrilium does not have a unique ability to be ruined by rolls.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Well dang. Good thing the Senapang is so awesome. What are we gonna do with that grenade though? We've got the revision to use and we'd be tempting fate to mess with the rifle, but we could redesign it as a shitty incendiary at best unless we can use the revision to try to use a different means of igniting it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What?
Not at one point did you say that “oh a bad roll is going to ruin Gavrilium!” Rochester, and please do keep in mind that the exact same thing can happen with any other material. Gavrilium does not have a unique ability to be ruined by rolls.
I talked to MoP way of deciding how those things will work

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Can we reclassify the M1 as an anti-material incendiary device? Clearly its use now is for sabotage and disposal of enemy weapons outside of combat. The only combat use for it that I can see is as an incendiary I guess.

Here's how I think we should spend the revision for a device we made this phase:
Senepang-b Rifle, Self Loading
The Senepang has been modified to be semi-automatic using a gas operation system. The magazine is extended to 20 rounds and modified to be removable.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 01:41:21 pm by Parsely »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile

So now Gavrilium is useless as an explosive because we rolled badly with it. Fucking RIP.

Just need to find an interaction that does work for exploding.
On the other hand, this interaction does mean we can use it as a super-incendiary or something like that. Sleep deprived. Can't really put in more effort than that right now.

Heck, we could probably keep the grenade as is (ok, maybe not; with that roll the grenade itself was probably terrible) for anti-vehicle work as soon as we figure out a way to get it to stick (and therefore literally melt its way through things)..

We got 2 more Designs and a revision!... Ideas people?

ALSO STOP ARGUING DAMMIT. Bad rolls happen alright? If we always go on in the assumption that a roll will end poorly, well, why bother with any special resource in the first place if it won't work the way we hope it will?
Really, this seems like a part of this AR; working with the hand we were dealt; hoping for a super-explosive, getting a super-incendiary (that still has hope for a super-explosive).

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 88