Hammer Time
- 3 (21.4%)
Time...to die.
- 6 (42.9%)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 88

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 100215 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1916 A.C. Hot Season (Design Phase)
« Reply #1125 on: February 24, 2019, 12:18:13 pm »

Bear in mind the design features tiny little 150mm cannons at present. The idea is that those three-GA1Bs per turret will be replaced by, like, one 300-450mm cannon per turret, once we develop larger artillery.

But, I mean, I could reduce the number of guns slightly, if that's your main complaint.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1916 A.C. Hot Season (Design Phase)
« Reply #1126 on: February 24, 2019, 12:30:46 pm »

As noted earlier: Most of the guns are redundant or useless in their present configurations, and the issue is with the very structure of the turrets more than the guns. Yes, they're tiny, but tiny guns fire fast and thus need lots of ammunition....which results in a turret, citadel, and barbette/casement nearly as deep (if not as wide) as a major gun turret.

There is not enough internal space to hold 32 or more separate engine spaces plus ELEVEN turret citadels and twenty-eight secondary battery positions, plus MG batteries, plus major engineering spaces for maintenance of moving parts or access to any other major engine-type things we may have inside the vessel, etc.

There's not even enough internal space for eleven turret citadels given how they're laid out.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: February 24, 2019, 01:13:07 pm »

Of note is that we do have an advantage in internal volume compared to contemporary ships in that our powerplant and fuel storage are much, much smaller; and the fact that they are distributed means that we don't need a mostly contiguous space for them and as such don't have to compete as much with the turret wells for space.

That being said Madman; didn't we conclude (on Discord) that we could just use downwards facing weakened impacts to essentially override normal gravity and as such allow us to basically build the side turrets as normal? IIRC; we concluded while not a flawless solution, it was one that was viable? At least, I don't recall any major issues being brought up about it. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Still; it would probably be ideal to consolidate the main battery into fewer quadruple turrets to save both size and weight (we definitely have the beam for it); and secondaries into twin turrets.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: February 24, 2019, 01:16:00 pm »

This is operating under the assumption that all turrets are constructed as normal---i.e., all must have an extended citadel underneath them to hold machinery, ammunition, and propellant in such a configuration that it can be loaded into the turret no matter where the guns are pointed.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: February 24, 2019, 01:33:54 pm »

Alright, I've edited the proposal, reducing the number of cannons (and turrets).
Long Live United Forenia!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: February 24, 2019, 01:47:42 pm »

This is operating under the assumption that all turrets are constructed as normal---i.e., all must have an extended citadel underneath them to hold machinery, ammunition, and propellant in such a configuration that it can be loaded into the turret no matter where the guns are pointed.

You may have a point that 11 turrets may be too much. But we can certainly fit in 8. The Atlanta class was smaller volume wise (less beam mostly) and possessed 8 turrets; we can certainly exploit the combination of us having a significantly wider beam and not needing to spend massive amounts of space for the engine (we can fit them in a lot more configurations than a standard warship could with their engine) to cram in 8 quad turrets along this thing.

Glory to United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: February 24, 2019, 02:16:15 pm »

That logic works only if we only ever want a single battleship-caliber gun per turret....and we'd probably like more than that (there are good reasons why real navies used multiple guns per turret instead of many turrets, mostly in weight and space savings though also in additional accuracy since you had to correct for parallax of fewer guns)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: February 25, 2019, 11:08:01 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Regular Design:
SAR-16 Automatic Rifle:
Ambrosia: (3) Jilladilla, Taricus, Rockeater
BSU Exoskeletal Combat Rig: (5) Powder Miner, Madman, Twinwolf, NUKE9.13, DGR

NE Design:
ARC-16 'Iron Drake':
ABB-16 Gergasangin: (4) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Taricus, DGR
ALS-16 'Tectonic': (4) Madman, Powder Miner, Twinwolf, Rockeater
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: February 26, 2019, 10:46:34 am »

MLS-16 'Tectonic' [OFFENSIVE NATIONAL EFFORT
If at first you don't succeed, add more. More armor, more Myomers, more power, more guns, more strength, more everything. Especially more patriotic colors and gold leaf decorations. In order to deal with the problems of the enemy's armor, aircraft, and mere existence, we've developed a brand new way to kill them. The Tectonic is a six meter tall mechanized lifting suit. The "mechanized" refers to the fact that the operators are no longer directly controlling the suit with their own ear twitches motions. Instead, three operators are seated inside the roughly 2-meter-tall, 1.25-meter-deep, perfectly-padded pilot chamber. The vehicle's commander sits between, slightly above and slightly behind the driver and gunner. So named because the driver is responsible for operating the complicated controls that motorize the mech's legs and keep its torso aligned properly---a difficult task aided by a gyroscope that tells the driver how the mech is oriented relative to "up", and a powerful array of GravEngines that switch on when that gyroscope exceeds certain tilt limits, pushing the mech slowly but steadily back towards the vertical....at the cost of drawing power away from the Myomer systems while the GravEngines are active [i.e., until the driver hits the override switch].

The legs and torso of the mech are all protected in what is best described as "positively ludicrous" amounts of Caelium Steel armor. In fact it's capable of withstanding a hit or two in the same spot from our 150mm cannons. It can also survive one hit from the 105 at short range, but not many (if any) more than one without getting crippled. The left side is somewhat reinforced, such that if it is presented towards, say, an enemy mech, artillery battery, or flying battleship, it can survive measurably more than the right side before failing. This does, of course, mean that the left side is a little less mobile and not as well-armed as the right side can be.

The gunner's position is full of fun buttons, levers, and dials such that with a sufficient amount of twitchy control-tweaking one can operate the arms. The arms are similar, having a hand on the end, lots of armor (though the right side has only enough to resist 40mm tank-gun fire indefinitely, so about the 100mm of the Charybdis' original configuration. The left side carries the same scale of armor as the legs and torso), incredible strength due to the torso's massive GavEngine and lots of Myomers, and weapons. Yes, weapons. Build into the back of each hand is a set of linked SMGs, integrated in the left wrist is a GGG with lots and lots of ammo, and integrated into the right wrist is a set of two GGGs, each with as much ammo as the left-arm gun. However, this is not the limit of their combat ability: The fingers are solid Caelium Steel, and that is backed up with enough Myomer strength to physically rip apart their tanks, or use them as highly unreliable grenades (they'll explode if they hit hard enough, right?).

The torso is mostly just the GavEngine generator and crew space plus armor, but on top of the torso, instead of a head, is a set of periscopes for the commander, as well as periscopes for the gunner and driver as well. The driver gets only one facing forwards, as well as a cute little mini-mech on the "dashboard" in front of the driver and gunner, which moves and has the same position as the real thing does and is totally not just the first prototype mockup with some Myomers added due to careful engineering deserving of many paychecks. This allows the driver and gunner to figure out what's going on even if they can't see the mechs' legs or arms for any reason. The gunner has a good set of forwards-and-sideways-facing periscopes, while the commander gets 360* vision because that's literally his job.

Mounted on the legs are the proximity defensive systems. A few internal tanks and nozzles are marked with "flamethrower goes here" in case we ever develop one. Mounted on the outside are also a few simple Myomer joints, capable of wildly swinging a LAMB back and forth. No really, they just kinda randomly swing a hammer around to kill anyone who's trying to climb the suit or get close or whatever. The feet are, of course, made of solid steel and thus excellent for the kicking of powered-armored enemy faces, tanks, or small buildings which need to be removed from the mech's path.

The mech has hands, of course, and hands need weapons to hold. In particular, these hands make use of a set of mech-sized demolitions charges as hand grenades, and of course a rifle. A superb rifle, just like the Senapang, in fact... If the Senapang had been a bolt-action version of our 105mm Scylla artillery cannon, that is. The gunner has a specially made periscopic scope for use with the rifle at longer ranges, though it does require the rifle to be lined up in a specific way with the torso.

Coupled with a truly one-of-a-kind crew, a cardboard decoy "head" with some paper "people" decoy targets inside it, the Tectonic is absolutely capable of killing everyone that needs to be killed, in any way that said killing may need to happen, with style.

OK, so, this is the beginning of a mech proposal meant to break the deadlock by bringing the firepower and armor of a battleship and the human shape and punch-the-enemy-in-the-face ability of a power armor suit. Obviously not finished but I have to run so all I accomplished this morning is copy-pasting it to B12 from Discord. Ah well.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 09:26:25 pm by Madman198237 »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: February 26, 2019, 08:41:31 pm »

You know what? It has Charm. Something that the Gergasangin didn't really have (sorry Nuke). Count me in.

(Note: The old power armor proposal got renamed into the 'Earthquake' to mitigate confusion.)

Regular Design:
SAR-16 Automatic Rifle:

NE Design:
ARC-16 'Iron Drake':
ABB-16 Gergasangin: (3) NUKE9.13, Taricus, DGR
ALS-16 'Earthquake': (4) Madman, Powder Miner, Twinwolf, Rockeater
MLS-16 'Tectonic': (1) Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: February 26, 2019, 08:42:02 pm »

Regular Design:
SAR-16 Automatic Rifle:

NE Design:
ARC-16 'Iron Drake':
ALS-16 'Earthquake': (3) Powder Miner, Twinwolf, Rockeater
MLS-16 'Tectonic': (2) Jilladilla, Madman

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: February 26, 2019, 08:43:33 pm »

Regular Design:
SAR-16 Automatic Rifle:

NE Design:
ARC-16 'Iron Drake':
ALS-16 'Earthquake': (2) Powder Miner, Rockeater
MLS-16 'Tectonic': (3) Jilladilla, Madman, Twinwolf
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: February 26, 2019, 09:03:45 pm »

Regular Design:
SAR-16 Automatic Rifle:

NE Design:
ARC-16 'Iron Drake':
ABB-16 Gergasangin: (2) NUKE9.13, Taricus,
ALS-16 'Earthquake': (2) Powder Miner, Rockeater
MLS-16 'Tectonic': (3) Jilladilla, Madman, Twinwolf, DGR
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: February 26, 2019, 09:23:28 pm »

Regular Design:
SAR-16 Automatic Rifle:

NE Design:
ARC-16 'Iron Drake':
ABB-16 Gergasangin: (2) NUKE9.13, Taricus,
ALS-16 'Earthquake': (1) Rockeater
MLS-16 'Tectonic': (5) Jilladilla, Madman, Twinwolf, DGR, Powder Miner
B I G G E S T B O I

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1916 A.C. Hot Season (Revision Phase)
« Reply #1139 on: February 27, 2019, 01:25:55 am »

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Territories (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Special Rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Credits+Blueprints (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Abberan Armory (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 88