AUTHOR WANTS VALIDATION; DO YOU LIKE ME Y/N

Y
- 8 (88.9%)
N
- 1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: September 16, 2018, 11:40:20 pm

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 40

Author Topic: SpamDwarves: Low King Golian Duskbrow of Abystok!  (Read 24925 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: SpamDwarves: Low King Golian Duskbrow of Abystok!
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2018, 12:22:45 pm »

B.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2018, 01:01:53 pm »

B

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2018, 01:56:28 am »

Okay! You go to spend some time with the artisans and merchants of Abystok, the caste your own ancestors rose from to your lofty position today.

Quote from: roll
3*

After a lot of chatting, particularly with Nedru and his brothers and a few other cousins of yours (and their friends and business partners), you come away with a fulfilled, even familial feeling and the impression that the craftsdwarf caste are generally thrilled at your ascension and their prospects. You didn't really learn much about the economic status of Abystok, though; mostly the conversation revolved around everyone's domestic lives with only occasional touches onto matters of business success.

The party is winding down, but you still have a chance to mingle with another group!

A) Runesmiths!
B) Peasants!
C) Trade up to the nobility!
D) Trade down to the thralls?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2018, 04:53:51 am »

A
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Basil ii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2018, 05:05:23 am »

A

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2018, 06:09:37 am »

A

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2018, 07:07:02 am »

A
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2018, 09:20:11 am »

You spend the rest of the evening talking to some of Abystok's runesmiths.

They seem broadly happy that you replaced Sogeljar, who, it seems, made little use of their art out of some belief that the gods opposed it. (The runesmiths hasten to explain that this isn't found in any scripture they know of, but merely an idiosyncratic belief of the former Captain.) However, your questions, no matter how innocuously posed, completely fail to get them to divulge any more about their abilities than you and every dwarf already know: that through lengthy rituals, runic inscriptions, blood sacrifices, and ancient secrets you can't even imagine, they can create magical objects both simple and powerful, which they might give as gifts or, more likely, sell at considerable profit. One interesting fact you do glean about runesmiths is that, apparently, they never use dwarven thralls except for the rare few who are condemned to lifelong thralldom with no hope of redemption, preferring to employ only thralls purchased or taken by conquest from nonmagical races such as humans, because they are incapable of putting any secrets they might glean from the runesmiths' work to use. Runesmiths take their secrecy very seriously, it turns out.

As the festivities finally draw to a close, you begin to feel like the entire party was a complete waste of time for you personally, but you console yourself somewhat by reflecting on the levity of the — your, now — people and their hopes for your rule.

Midwinter, 214

You are awoken the next morning by your cousin Nedru, who tells you that he and his associates have finished cataloguing Abystok's treasury. He leads you to the Captain of the Guard's office, where Gostell (having recently evicted Sogeljar to the temple district) and a number of other dwarves you don't recognise, presumably other advisors and officials, await. Nedru, who seems to have appointed himself de facto treasurer, speaks first:

"We wanted to talk to you about starting your rule off on the right foot, cou— er, your highness. Having gone over all the books and our actual stores, we've found that... ah, I doubt you want to hear the petty details, let's just say that, if I had to give it a number, I'd rate our treasury at a five out of eight, now that we don't have to pay old Hehrcog's crippling taxes. I'd love to see that number get even higher, but we all know that's not likely to happen this year, since most of your income is going to have to be spent getting things into shape... There are easily many things we–" Nedru gestures toward the group as a whole "–would suggest it be spent on, but we can only afford a few of them, and the more we attempt, the worse off we'll be if something goes wrong. But then, choosing is your job, after all."

The other dwarves begin talking over one another in an attempt to offer their ideas. After a few minutes you glean the following options. Select up to four, but, be warned: the more you pick, the more it's going to cost.

A) Gostell wants to increase recruiting and salaries for the army, so that Abystok can hold its own as an independent fortress.
B) Nedru thinks you should start by renovating Abystok's centuries-disused royal chambers, to show Abystok's best face to the world (and give yourself some comforts).
C) Another dwarf suggests sponsoring a state funeral for Hehrcog; though nobody in Abystok liked him much, it would show your loyalty to tradition and offer an opportunity to host a few diplomats or dignitaries from nearby fortresses that were also under his rule.
D) Gostell and Nedru both think you should spend some money among the mundane smiths and arms merchants to kit out your soldiers better.
E) Someone suggests having a statue of yourself built in the dining hall, though nobody seems to be quite sure who said it.
F) One dwarf in a particularly ostentatious robe, the court astrologer or some such thing, wants you to commission a magical trinket from the runesmiths.
G) Nedru chimes in again offering to charter a trade caravan with the nearest human settlement, something Abystok hasn't been able to do in decades.
H) Another voice wants to restart Abystok's defunct mining program to seek more mineral wealth beneath the vast ocean.
I) Finally, after everyone else has quieted down, the representative from the priesthood suggests in a calculated way that you certainly must donate some of the wealth to the temples to thank the gods for allowing you to rule.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2018, 09:44:38 am »

CGH.

Cause a funeral and the trade mineral combination should get our money rising.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2018, 09:47:07 am »

CGH

Avanti!

Basil ii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2018, 10:04:59 am »

CGH

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2018, 10:08:50 am »

Yeah, okay.

CGH.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2018, 10:11:05 am »

CGH doesn't seem that bad.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2018, 11:24:26 am »

Okay, you decide to spend on those three things. Gostell and some of the others look a little crestfallen, but they understand you need to allocate scarce resources.
The priest, on the other hand, is utterly furious and stalks out of the room with a venomous comment about the gods rewarding you commensurate with your priorities.

A couple weeks later, the trade expedition is ready to set out. Nedru and his associates have procured a variety of goods from Abystok's artisans, and have even managed to hire on a mercenary band who had retired in the fortress some years ago as guards, for a very reasonable rate, you are given to understand. Though the first leg of the journey will stay in the pleasant weather near the coast where Abystok's primary entrance opens, the caravan will eventually have to face the inland winter; but the sooner they set out, the better, so the weather will simply have to be accepted.

In the meantime, diplomats and messengers have been exchanged with the nearby dwarven settlements, now that the Overking's court has spread the news of your ascension, and your planned state funeral is scheduled to take place soon. As luck would have it, you seem to be the first fortress in Hehrcog's domain to hold one, as Graszdat herself remains in seclusion.

Finally, the mining thegns whom you have called forth to restart their operations have come to you with a concern. Except for delicate work, mining, like most hard labour, is a thrall's job — but most thralls skilled at mining have been sold or traded off to places where they could be of use years ago. There are always some volunteers among churls seeking a fast road to thegndom, and thralls who are used to other duties can still be pressed into service (as a matter of fact, they don't have a choice!), but the thegns would generally prefer to spend some of the gold you have given them to purchase miners from somewhere else so that the work can be performed quickly and professionally. Normally, they would just go ahead and do this without a second thought, since the gold has already been budgeted to them, but, since Abystok is only newly independent and its political position among other fortresses might be uncertain, they felt they should come to you before importing foreign thralls.

A) Sure, buy your slaves, it's no problem.
B) Naaaaah, I'm going to need you to make do with what you have.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2018, 11:34:08 am »

A.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 40