Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: The Rime: a Frostpunk Western RPG (OOC) (Started!)  (Read 9473 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: The Rime: a Frostpunk Western RPG (OOC) (Started!)
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2018, 03:21:18 pm »

My plan was to shout at Gorwan, then head to the engine 'cause my guy doesn't have the Presence to convince him, probably, though I was considering arguing what I'm presently doing is a Wits thing since I'm making assumptions about Gorwan and his motivations based on what the narrative is telling me.

I was then going to go hit the bean counter, but again, no Presence and I'm not sure about the combat system even with my character's free combat round, so I'll totes just go get murdered by the bandits 'cause I'm the only one actually messing about in the engine car, presumably.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2018, 03:43:52 pm »

If you give a good argument you can get advantage. I have low stats too-while my speech didn't convince Stern, I did get lucky. But my 2nd speech gave a bonus vs convincing the train people and ultimate against the fear penalty, though I missed that one.

Since we're moving in cinematic time, you might get Fiona to come help you convince him, assuming the GM rules it doesn't warp time too badly. You can present the argument and she can aid you in her own interminable fashion. She's currently suffering from spooked syndrome, however, and shouldn't make this roll herself. She can however give you a full +3 bonus.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2018, 04:43:16 pm »

My plan was to shout at Gorwan, then head to the engine 'cause my guy doesn't have the Presence to convince him, probably, though I was considering arguing what I'm presently doing is a Wits thing since I'm making assumptions about Gorwan and his motivations based on what the narrative is telling me.

I was then going to go hit the bean counter, but again, no Presence and I'm not sure about the combat system even with my character's free combat round, so I'll totes just go get murdered by the bandits 'cause I'm the only one actually messing about in the engine car, presumably.

Look on the bright side. The irony of your death to bandits the one time you take the train legitimately will be worth it!

If we are being serious, 5 PCs and a handful of armed NPCs can probably kill the bandits to the last man if it comes down to it. If we are expecting around 12 bandits split into 2 groups, we probably have around the same numbers with 7+ armed NPCs, and a mob on our side. Assuming PCes are more competent than the bandits it shouldn't be a hard fight.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2018, 04:55:17 pm »

Note that the combat system's a little on the dangerous side. "Not a hard fight" can still mean a good number of casualties when the combatants are sufficiently squishy.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2018, 04:57:39 pm »

I would rather not soak bullets with my unusually plotarmored PC body, anyways. If you're a human with a gun, and your enemy is a human with a gun, you're kinda fundamentally on level ground.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2018, 04:58:16 pm »

Note that the combat system's a little on the dangerous side. "Not a hard fight" can still mean a good number of casualties when the combatants are sufficiently squishy.

The combat system also means that more skilled combatants are less likely to be killed. So the deaths are likely to be the NPCs. Sucks to be those guys.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2018, 05:01:33 pm »

We haven't seen any NPC's stats. Why assume that we're more skilled than them?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2018, 05:05:11 pm »

We haven't seen any NPC's stats. Why assume that we're more skilled than them?

Because half of them where described as being n00bs, and if the random NPC novices can outshoot us the bandits are going to slaughter us.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2018, 11:23:00 am »

Here's what we do I guess. Get the big gun firing to chew up the hill. This will protect both the laborers and the hill attackers. As much as anyone can be protected.

The potential 2nd group of bandits is attacking from someplace, but on the brightside you can get cover against them and ambush them. Rocket tag gameplay means a big plate of metal between you and the attackers is very helpful to soaking those bad shots.

So really, there's no absolutely safe play. If you attack the Hill it could be the charge of the light brigade. If you stay in the car you could be facing Bandit Delta Teams, as its still my idea that the more skilled ones would actually be attacking the train. If you're working on the tracks, you could get shot by either group of bandits, or your own forces. And I can't even fight back. :P

Either way I say it is time to lock in our actions for the next phase.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2018, 02:12:57 pm »

I'd suspect that there's an element looking to take the engine already on the train. That's a good reason to get the big gun going, because I imagine that can suppress the bandits on the hill well enough to remove the blockage, while leaving the defenders in a position to fend off an attack inside the train itself, which is probably where the real battle will be.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2018, 06:07:14 pm »

Right, so should I go defend the train or assault the bean counter, lest he goes unconvinced?

Bearing in mind I get one free surprise attack in any particular encounter, presumably.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2018, 06:11:18 pm »

Defend the engine, I'd say.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2018, 08:12:16 am »

Yeah, like Egan said, I actually suggest someone defending the train actually search the train. There's only one direction of attack we don't have covered, and that is from the inside-people who bought tickets and are now hiding in the baggage compartment, waiting for everyone to leave.

Likely among the people hired to 'defend' the train. There was quite a few, wasn't there? :P

Right, so should I go defend the train or assault the bean counter, lest he goes unconvinced?

I think your surprise attack will count more if you actually have to surprise attackers, or in close quarters where first shot decides all. Train defense.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2018, 03:43:24 am »

Here is a rough map of your current situation I put together in Paint just now, if the narration has left you confused. The flanking party is in red, our heroes in blue, the rest in black. Joanna Tuck, Mr Lowe and 4 crewmen are assigned to providing covering fire for the workers and shooting in the direction of the hill. The two Hacketts and their associate Mr Towley are following Cormac's direction. Mara, Chief Gorwan, Doc Montmare and Sounder are with the flankers. The rest are laborers or content to sit this one out.

Spoiler: Train Map (click to show/hide)

@hector13: Your Bandit Cunning requires you to launch the surprise attack. You won't get the bonus round if you enter combat with people who are already hostile to you. If you should engage a bandit in conversation and get them to drop their guard, on the other hand... bang, bang, thank you ma'am.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2018, 11:20:38 am »

Ho de hum...mind slush...

I wonder what sort of traps might be popular in the Rime? Some malicious ideas. Just lay a heavy tarp over a deep crevasse and watch people blunder in. Explosives hidden under the snow that trigger avalanches or break frozen ice over deep water. A leg snare that grabs you, then drops the weight into deep water, dragging you with it. I can see the Mer definitely using water traps against invading humans-they can set as many as they want and no one can really stop them, and they don't even have to drown for them to be lethal. Just getting wet can kill you easily.

A tripwire set to a gun trigger could create a loud enough boom that could trigger an avalanche as well, not to mention tell everyone you are there. Animal traps for bears or such, re-purposed for people. Dig a hole in the ground, put in some sharpened bits of metal (probably railroad spikes, or maybe just sharpened icicles), then pour a melted bucket of water over it-instant punji pit with natural camo, waiting for someone heavy enough to break the ice that forms over. All of them are relatively cheap and simple to employ.

It strikes me that this bandit attack makes a lot of sense. The Rime is optimal defensive ground, so choosing your place to fight gives you all the advantages. All we can guess is the the ground would be fairly stable to have train tracks on, so at least water and deep pits is probably out.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10