Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: The Rime: a Frostpunk Western RPG (OOC) (Started!)  (Read 9481 times)

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Rime: a Frostpunk Western RPG (Sign-ups, 0/5!)
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2018, 02:50:31 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So I'm assuming that Wits would also be used for things like tracking, being able to tell when a storm is coming, and generally understanding what you need to do to survive, while Learning might cover understanding a lot of why things happen or more scientific thought, or at least formal education.I don't know if learning would cover a lot that this guy needs to know, since most of the examples didn't seem like it, but the expert trait does have a couple examples that suggest I should maybe shuffle some points into it. I don't know if I'll actually be able to play (if it's just play-by-post, I can probably manage) but I still wanted to write up this character. And I briefly considered also nicknaming him "Frostbite" after those earlier jokes.

A couple comments on "Fry" First, cornflower is actually a shade of blue, not yellow. Really confused me when I was watching Breaking Bad and a blue shirt was referred to as Cornflower, because I thought of corn flour. Also, I just like that character. I had somebody similar in mind, but from the thaw rather than the inner lands. Also, I basically stole her concept from what I remember of "True Grit" and that's also where a lot of this guy came from.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2018, 11:34:26 am »

I guess I had yellow flowers on the mind. :P I'll fix that...

Maybe we'll make a good team!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2018, 12:16:49 pm »

What's the currency on the Rime? I imagine it wouldn't be coinage, since you don't really want to be frozen to your money.

Spoiler: Character Application (click to show/hide)
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2018, 12:46:00 pm »

If we're far on the frontier, I'd imagine its something like "Republic credits? Republic credits are no good out here!"

Essentially, I suspect an economy at least partially based on bartering goods and doing favors. Like, in the Rime, a bucket of coal is likely worth a lot more than a bunch of colored papers.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2018, 05:45:44 am »

Paper money - known as Marks or 'scrip' in the Rime - does exist, coming in from the interior. The further east you get, the less useful it becomes, though - it's great when you're buying coal right out of inner trains, but no good when you're bartering with a survivalist on the edge of the endless black sea. So, as Dwarmin said, an economy partially based on bartering goods and doing favors. Hard Bargainer provides a bonus to bartering when there's no actual money involved.

I'm changed some of the Traits:
-Quick Attack now allows you to dish out two attacks in a turn, but with a halved attack bonus. It's still potent, but not quite so overpowered.
-Frontier Cook now provides inspiration for up to 5 people; the 4 people version was from when I intended to have 4 players.
-Hunter... has not been changed, yet. It is very powerful, but only against single targets, and even bosses perhaps dying quickly is in tune with the themes of the game.

Will probably tinker more as we go along. In any case, I'll be choosing the players later today and getting out the first post sometime this week. This'll probably turn into an OOC thread and I'll getan IC thread up.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2018, 09:06:09 am »

Still time for another application?

'cause you'll get on regardless :P

Spoiler: rushed but eh (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 10:39:42 am by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2018, 02:49:51 pm »

I say that Hunter is just fine up till the moment it's used against me. >.>

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2018, 03:45:35 pm »

It was a very difficult choice, but...

Player List
1. Stirk - Ronald "Frostbite" McCarthy
2. Egan_BW - Ulien Inervios
3. Dwarmin - Fiona McDougan of Cormwall ('Fry')
4. IronyOwl - Sir Rimelight "The Croc" (Alaric Addington)
5. hector13 - Cormac Hess

Waitlist
1. Persus13 - Albert Tremain
2. Interus - Warren Heath
3. Jerick - Doc James Leary
4. dgr11897 - Falerion ('Octo-Faced Freak', 'Avalanche')
5. crazyabe - 'Jonah'

Don't be dismayed if you're on the waitlist - I'm sure someone will get themselves killed soon enough!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 04:06:33 pm by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2018, 04:08:56 pm »

Don't be dismayed if you're on the waitlist - I'm sure someone will get themselves killed soon enough!
Probably, anyone want to bet on who will die first, and how they will die?
Also I might make a different character, I don't like the way my current one turned out very much for a variety of reasons. Either going to go for a dedicated melee range tank, or a mer sniper, just since I like the idea of playing as a mer.
Also I am curious if any new races will become playable as the game goes on, and will any new traits be created?
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2018, 04:17:22 pm »

No dismay here. Looking forward to following from the sidelines for now.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2018, 04:59:28 pm »

It was a very difficult choice, but...

Player List
1. Stirk - Ronald "Frostbite" McCarthy
2. Egan_BW - Ulien Inervios
3. Dwarmin - Fiona McDougan of Cormwall ('Fry')
4. IronyOwl - Sir Rimelight "The Croc" (Alaric Addington)
5. hector13 - Cormac Hess

1. +10 Attack, +11 Defense, 2 combat traits (Frontline Fighter)
2. +8 Attack,  +6 Defense, 1 combat trait (Fight/Support)
3. +6 Attack, +7 Defense, 0 combat traits (Support)
4. +6 Attack, +8 Defense, 1 combat trait (Face/Fighter)
5. +8 Attack, +9 Defense, 0 combat traits (Fighter/Support)

So the one most likely to die if we get into a fight is Ulien :P.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: The Rime: a Frostpunk Western RPG (OOC) (Started!)
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2018, 05:13:04 pm »

Well, most likely to die if I manage to get shot at, that is. Turns out that -2 Might isn't a good defensive strat.

Which is what Lethal Shot is for. If I need to kill someone, they need to be dead before they manage to shoot back. :V
Hence also the above-average speed and ranged attack bonus. Fastest Shot would also be nice but I think Lethal Shot has better value in making a single shot count.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2018, 05:23:23 pm »

Well, most likely to die if I manage to get shot at, that is. Turns out that -2 Might isn't a good defensive strat.

Which is what Lethal Shot is for. If I need to kill someone, they need to be dead before they manage to shoot back. :V
Hence also the above-average speed and ranged attack bonus. Fastest Shot would also be nice but I think Lethal Shot has better value in making a single shot count.

D20 + speed means that someone with 0 speed is gonna shoot faster 1/3 of the time. That is why Fastest Shot is kinda nice. Generally in systems focusing around addition and subtraction, multiplication things end up being OP, and "You always win!" is always nice.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2018, 05:54:47 pm »

Cool beans.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2018, 06:00:54 pm »

Really, since speed is used for Both types of attacking, defending, and getting initiative, its the best stat to overdo.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10