Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: The Rime: a Frostpunk Western RPG (OOC) (Started!)  (Read 9482 times)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Rime: a Frostpunk Western RPG (OOC) (Started!)
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2018, 06:11:42 pm »

Which is why Mer people make for excellent combat characters (+4 speed), just don't expect them to be the best at science. Also I think I am going to make a character who is basically a Mer mailman, except his inexperience with humans leads him to delivering bullets into peoples faces, placing explosives and lighting them, along with "delivering" things to people from other's houses. So basically he is an accidental criminal who will happily say I have a Delivery for you from the mafia, before unloading his pistol into your face.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2018, 06:17:07 pm »

And that's in addition to their nigh immunity to any cold less than what would ordinarily instant kill most humans stuck out in it, Likely ability to breath under water, and possible diplomacy bonuses when dealing with other mer!
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2018, 06:20:57 pm »

They also need daily access to water or they die :P

They also have an apparently ubiquitous diplomacy penalty with humans.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2018, 06:29:42 pm »

The penalty might also extend to most Mer, It sounds like there are factions who wouldn't approve of those joining the world of humans. Also their cold resistance might mean very little if they still need to use fuel in order to melt enough ice for them to fufill their needs.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2018, 07:11:53 pm »

We have begun! You are free to post.

If you don't like your backstory Trait and have an idea for a better one, feel free to say so. I particularly had trouble with the Croc's and Ulien's Traits.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2018, 07:29:10 pm »

"gnawed off in the night by frostbite."

This is slander! Frostbite has never eaten anyone's digits at night! That would make me some kind of weirdo.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2018, 08:21:01 am »

Nice!

@Digital_Hellhound: Right, I was planning on asking this-how do assist actions exactly work and what are the limits on them? Because they're a big part of how my character is an actual 'support'. Is it limited to physical/direct support, or morale boosting actions, a case by case basis, or what? I figure a lot of my gameplay is going be "I want to help". :P

I should have hammered it out beforehand, but I sort of ran out of time yesterday.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2018, 11:54:34 am »

Anything that requires a roll and isn’t happening ’inside’ the assisted character is fair game. You can help someone push a mine cart or solve a riddle or decipher a Mer artwork or calm an unruly mob. You can’t assist in a Might check not to die, though you can do a separate Learning or Wits action to try to save them as normal. There’s some leeway with mental stuff like overcoming trauma - if you can make a convincing argument why you could assist, I’d let you.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2018, 02:42:55 pm »

I particularly had trouble with the Croc's and Ulien's Traits.
Coulda fooled me! "Fuck this bandit in particular" is a fantastic trait for the Croc.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2018, 09:17:11 am »

@Digital: What is religion like like in the Frostpunk world? What are the major sects or belief systems in the world at large?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2018, 11:50:59 am »

I was going to ask this also but forgot to. Religion is semi-important for decent old-timey southern accents. :P

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2018, 12:46:03 pm »

Normally I would have considered it a question that might not matter to the setting, but if the GM brings it up, I consider it pertinent to the plot in some way.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2018, 03:12:12 pm »

Well, I encourage you to fill out and define this aspect of the world as we go along, but generally...

The most common mainstream religion - dominant in this region, prominent everywhere - is outwardly fairly familiar to us. It is built around worship of one, all-powerful God, with a powerful if disunited church. It’s all rather more dualistic than Christianity, though. Against God of land, light and warmth is a silent and nameless god of the sea, dark and cold. They have battled for all eternity. The withdrawal of the seas is sure sign of the true God’s triumph - but all live in fear of the tides turning and the endless black sea reclaiming its own. Still, it’s a pretty optimistic faith - God is constantly granting the faithful new land and new frontiers, after all.

You can see how easily the Mer can be denounced as the spawn of the sea and worshippers of the deep. Some actually do worship the Nameless, mostly humans; a dualistic faith easily lends itself to such heresies. After all, who is to say the new land isn’t the gift of the sea to Man? Who better to ensure survival in the Rime than the god of dark and cold? These cults tend to be frowned upon in polite society. In the interior, the churches persecute them as the heresies they are.

The faith generally holds that in the beginning, God brought down the first land to stand above the hungry sea. Of all living creatures, there were two. Slowly, gradually, the land began to expand. Life expanded with it, and on and on this process goes until the present. Scientific experiments certainly support this idea, at least partially - the existence or non-existence of one singular island at the beginning and where it is now is a heated topic of debate.

It’s not that big of a deal to be an atheist or non-religious, though. The power of the churches has been on the decline for a good century and city folk in particular are fairly secular.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2018, 03:43:14 pm »

Welp, darn you for making such an entertaining heresy! Give me the option of heretically worshipping dark or chaos or such and I find it hard not to. :I

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2018, 03:49:00 pm »

Welp, darn you for making such an entertaining heresy! Give me the option of heretically worshipping dark or chaos or such and I find it hard not to. :I

The real question is how are we going to keep the party together when half of us are upstanding citizens and the other half are worshiping dark gods and committing banditry for cash :V
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10