Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: The Rime: a Frostpunk Western RPG (OOC) (Started!)  (Read 9476 times)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Rime: a Frostpunk Western RPG (Sign-ups, 0/5!)
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2018, 01:48:19 pm »

Just curious but @gm, does magic, or occult stuff exist in this setting?
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 01:50:41 pm »

@Egan_BW: It’s good! You could have it as Expert (Engineering), though it’s fine as it is too. Your backstory is interesting and compelling, but what’s driving your character now? Vengeance? Trying to start a diving suit business in her father’s footsteps? Caring for her sisters? Just a will to survive with no further aspirations?

Mostly will to survive and taking care of her sisters. Starting a proper shop of her own would be nice, for sure, but she doesn't expect to see that kind of money any time soon. Vengeance isn't what she's after, but let's just say she's take it given the opportunity.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 02:15:08 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Could use some advice on my stats. Trying for a charismatic combatant, but I have a penalty to ranged and am dubious as to how viable melee is.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2018, 02:44:42 pm »

Just curious but @gm, does magic, or occult stuff exist in this setting?

The Rime is a strange place. Many men have gone mad staring out at the endless black sea, claiming to have witnessed impossible things. Their ravings and heresies sometimes find audiences in the most unlikely places.

Whether there's any truth to what they say? Well, who knows - but having an occult-interested character is a viable option, if a bit of a niche one. As a note, if you intend to leave so many unanswered questions and mysteries in your background, you're basically letting me dictate what those mysteries and answers are. Which is very much fine by me, but you can include more detail if you like.

@crazyabe: Your character and backstory are fine, but could use more detail, maybe something about 'Jonah's personality.

@Dwarmin: Delightful as always. A more optimistic character among the gritty types would be great fun, I'm sure.

@Jerick: Looks good to me! Don't worry about your chances of survival. I'm sure you can get by in the Rime with luck... assuming you have incredible, stupendous amounts of luck.

@Irony: For a melee fighter, you'll want Speed and Might. Your current build has a decent +6 bonus to melee (Might+Speed) and the same for ranged (Mind+Speed). Traits can really make up for just a mediocre attack bonus, like your Quick Attack, so it's already fairly good. You could shift Mind or Learning to Might or Speed if you wanted to be even better at melee, of course. Your backstory is wonderful, in any case.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 02:56:19 pm »

I mostly leave it open to keep from accidentally blocking the GM in, plus I trust the gm to almost always have an idea for how to make something work, which is fun, doesn't break the game, and fits with most of the game mechanics. I will definitely add some more details to give you a better idea of what might be going on regarding the occult stuff. I actually have a few ideas now, first is that patch of ground he was found lying in, was frozen, dead, and the composition didn't match any nearby areas, there are also a few details I can add to both the assailant that sought him out to try and kill him, and what kind of stuff the book contains. Which will be edited into my characters backstory shortly.
Hmm, looking at my stats, my character might be a tank, though I don't have the right trait set to really fill the role completely (defender, and/or possibly team heart) but depending on what my Book contains, I might be able to fill the role fairly well using occult magic/rituals. Actually now that I think about it, my character might be a reverse paladin...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 03:16:03 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 03:14:44 pm »

@didgital hellhound: I put personality under Description, but I'll see what I can do about adding more detail to his backstory.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2018, 04:14:36 pm »

@Dwarmin: Delightful as always. A more optimistic character among the gritty types would be great fun, I'm sure.

Thanks!

I figured playing this specific combination of traits would require a specific character-one who realizes that helping others to succeed is more useful than acting on their own. That rules out a grim and gritty self sufficient character. I felt it would be interesting to explore in this setting-her survival has always depended on social cohesion, which is understandably strained on the frontier. She starts out pretty much as an inner trying to adapt the Rime to a place she can live, rather than adapting herself to live in the Rime. Also giving me a nice character progression arc in the future. I have no idea where my character could end up. I like that.

And I usually like to play super knowledgeable lore-master who knows everything about the world. In this case I decided to do the opposite-she knows nothing about the Rime, except for what are the likely equivalent of a Penny Dreadfuls. "Is it true Mermen weave the bones of sailors into their hair?"

And I can make up lore about her homeland, because well, it likely won't ever come into play. :P
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:16:59 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2018, 04:46:46 pm »

WHY, WHY, EVERY TIME, EVERY TIME, EVERY TIME I TRY TO EXPLAIN OR COME UP WITH THE PROPERTIES OF A MAGICAL SYSTEM OR OBJECT IT ALWAYS TURNS SUPER COMPLICATED, FIRST I ACCIDENTALLY CREATED SOMETHING THAT WAS BASICALLY WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF D&D'S MAGIC SYSTEM HAD A KID WITH QUANTUM PHYSICS, THEN I TRIED TO SIMPLIFY THE THING, BUT THE SAME THING HAPPENED ONCE AGAIN AND I COULDN'T USE THE SYSTEM FOR MY STORY, AND NOW THIS!!!!
Gah, now I should probably rewrite the properties of the book, it's basically an occult version of a school ipad at this point(which would probably have ended up being able to make more tomes. as for their ultimate origin, as the ice receeds ruins are unveiled some of which contain these tomes, typically with almost nothing in them but a few fragments), made by some ancient civilization to help their explorers and researchers, scan, capture/contain anomalies or creatures, and study the world at large. I might just make a separate post describing the properties. anyway, if it stays this way than whoever owned it previously found and caught something, something big, old and powerful. Something everyone in the occult world wanted.
Yay, Wall of text which has me able to scroll significant amounts, number of actually combat useful things the book of mers past can do, zero. Well, I guess if we fight stuff made of paper, then I can just open up the thing and stuff them inside.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 10:48:18 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2018, 04:56:26 pm »

What I sorta tried to get across is that the occult, if it even exists, is the kind of which there is very little proof. A book that is almost indestructible is very blatant existence of the supernatural, especially for a starting item. Also, Mer civilization is not one that has writing (though they have other methods of keeping some records) or books, per se, and few Mer are literate (if they are, they were generally taught by humans). I could use some of that - it certainly makes sense that the Mer would know the strange secrets of the sea, for one - but I'd prefer for it to be rather unknown what the book can do, if anything - it'd be something that your character could try to decipher and learn from.

Splitting your text into separate paragraphs and giving it a bit more structure would be helpful too, by the way.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2018, 05:13:36 pm »

Hurm. Can't decide on a character.
Might go for some kind of doctor.

I do find it amusing the hard-bitten survivalist frontier folk are the most likely to die from the cold, though.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2018, 05:19:26 pm »

I do find it amusing the hard-bitten survivalist frontier folk are the most likely to die from the cold, though.

On the contrary. They know better than to get caught in the kind of conditions that require a Might check. You survive with your brain, not with your body.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2018, 05:29:05 pm »

One idea I had while rewriting my previous system to make it readable for how magic works, is that magic, referred to as occult powers, are derived from beings that exist halfway between being  stories, and being real. some of these beings can gain control over people or increased power simply through people learning the story of a legend, they are effected by it, knowing the story behind a legend can be both beneficial and dangerous. By speaking words of power, words given power through stories woven of them, speaking knowledge of a legend, or doing a related ritual
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 09:16:33 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2018, 07:51:33 pm »

General mechanic's statistics:

Edit:
I don't think "this book magically changes depending on who looks at it and also lets you sense demons" is the idea of subtle he is going for. I think he is more looking at "This is a good luck charm. When I where it I have better luck" kind of thing. The kind of thing people believe in in the real world. So occult sacrifices would be more along the line of "ritually kill someone with a knife, then your harvest will be bless by the dark gods" kind of thing. To the point that we as players wouldn't know if magic is real or not, rather than having an explicitly magic book that hides the fact that it is magic.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 08:34:36 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 09:21:05 pm »

The tome isn't actually hiding its nature, its just changes how my character views reality, projecting the world of the occult on top of the "real" world, whose to say whether one is real and the other is not. Kinda like how hobbes works in calvin and hobbes, neither version of reality is necessarily incorrect, or any less real than the other, while there are signs that they somewhat interact, and blur the lines between the two versions of reality.
Would this be acceptable for my character's tome?(read how I updated my last post, it may make more sense with that context)
And, I'll stop now, Since I mostly just did this for fun since I like to make magic systems that are semi~internally consistent but this tends to blossom out into me making something that resembles a nearly unreadable wall of text. so I think I'll just go with the flow and stick to what my character is good at, shooting, killing, and putting the pieces together.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:01:27 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2018, 01:49:05 am »

General mechanic's statistics:

Edit:
I don't think "this book magically changes depending on who looks at it and also lets you sense demons" is the idea of subtle he is going for. I think he is more looking at "This is a good luck charm. When I where it I have better luck" kind of thing. The kind of thing people believe in in the real world. So occult sacrifices would be more along the line of "ritually kill someone with a knife, then your harvest will be bless by the dark gods" kind of thing. To the point that we as players wouldn't know if magic is real or not, rather than having an explicitly magic book that hides the fact that it is magic.

I may have to tinker with the mechanics still, thanks for the analysis. There were some last-minute changes that need to be thought about (like the OP nature of Hunter).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10