Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Arks Race - Tokari: Ark Anvil (Jump 1, Revision)  (Read 12597 times)

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
Re: Arks Race - Consortium Ark (Jump 0)
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2018, 08:15:13 pm »

The anvil isn't what gets forged, it's the metal that gets whacked on by a hammer that gets forged. Also, no. Slowness is a death sentence. A slow ship is practically asking for someone to shoot shells and missiles at it, and armor, while useful, doesn't exactly get to the resilience required of a tank sort of build.

Avanti!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2018, 08:25:46 pm »

So we do force fields.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2018, 08:37:16 pm »

This is medium-hard sci-fi. Unless you are a justification god, force fields are a no-go.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2018, 08:42:09 pm »

High-power electromagnetic deflection field.
Or we discover Adamantium or something.

Avanti!

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2018, 08:43:07 pm »

Laser beams?
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2018, 08:50:15 pm »

As what?

Avanti!

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2018, 08:54:41 pm »

There's no way a EM field could deflect light.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2018, 09:01:34 pm »

Ah. Yeah, lasers are liable to be an issue. Maybe a launcher that sprays clouds of dust?

Avanti!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2018, 09:22:41 pm »

Jump 0: Design Phase
With a lurch, the Ark's (still unnamed for now) Slipdrive powers down, dropping us in, well, space. We're still ahead of the Corporate Ark, but not for long. A few alarms ring out as various miscellaneous systems hastily "finished" before we left fail under the stress of the jump's completion. All minor damage that's easily repaired with off-hand parts and some system diagnostics.
The crew is annoyed about the lack of the Double-Deck Zero-G Pool Module, which is a room that only Ark 1 got. Those bastards.

For now, we go over the results of R&D's projects started during Jump 0.
Design: P-01 Stellarator
Using an alternate approach to fusion power, the Stellarator's plasma channels follow a twisting path that reduces instabilities found in Tokamaks, allowing the power plant to devote more energy to the actual fusion process. With the upscaled reactor and Stellarator configuration that reduces power loss, the P-01 should provide more "bang"--just kidding PJ we do not want our reactors to explode--for our Transuranic "buck".
Project
Time: [5] Progress: [4] Cost: [5]
Fusion power is a tricky thing. Cutting-edge fusion power is an even trickier thing. But luckily, we have access to one of the Company's advance reactors and some excellent reverse-engineers to use for our project.
Though we can run experiments on the X-05 without blowing anything up, they can't be that extensive -- we can make progress without, but using smaller-scale prototypes (that we'd need resources for) would definitely help more. But the experimental "reactors" can be at such a small scale that their cost isn't too significant.

P-01 Stellarator: 0/9 [3] |  20U + 10NG + 30H + 30M | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing Invested

Prototype
Efficacy: [3]
The P-01 Stellarator works fairly effectively. Through some temporary experimental tweaks in the X-05, we believe we have a viable plan. As hard as fusion is, it isn't like we're trying to invent it from scratch. The P-01 should generate +30 Power for use in the Ark's systems, but has some problems.
External magnets allow for more efficient power generation, but we've found that if the magnets are unexpectedly disabled during operation of the reactor, the instabilities of the unstabilized plasma can start ripping the reactor internals apart. We've managed to implement some tech in the reactor that will kick in as a temporary stabilizer, though, at the cost of increased damage after the battle and sources of damage are (hopefully) over. The Stellarator will continue operating at full capacity until 60% integrity (where it will shut down), but at the end of the battle, the damage sustained while it was running will be effectively multiplied by 150%. Though it can't be destroyed this way, luckily.

Being based off of the X-05 to some degree, the P-01 still costs plastics, and isn't otherwise cheap. This definitely isn't helped by its bigger size. But it's not prohibitively expensive.

• Design: P-01 Stellarator
    +30 Power;   -1 LS Capacity;   -1 Skeleton Space
    Consumes 150 Hydrogen / Jump
    A Stellarator fusion reactor using external magnets to stabilize plasma in twisted flows for better power production. Shuts down at 60% integrity, and any damage sustained before it shuts down is multiplied by 150% after the battle (but won't reduce integrity to 0%).
    60 Advanced Plastics, 100 Uranics, 600 Metal, 400 Non-Metal

Design: Automated Resource Requisitions
Completely revamping our Automated Resource Requisitions system, we have replaced our outdated and almost experimental mining vessels with automated machines and systems, designed to be deployed from internal racks, which can store a huge percentage more vessels then traditional hangar based systems. These mining vessels would acquire their resources and then dump them into the processing holds and finally either recharge on a charging pad or be re-acquired into the internal manufacturing array that would take the drone apart and maintain it before sending to mining again, or for storage upon the successful completion of mining the area. These systems are assisted with hauling drones, so that they may acquire as much raw ore to refine into metal/ Non-Metal/ Uranics over Noble Gas/Hydrogen.
Project
Time: [3] Progress: [1] Cost: [5]
Getting drones to properly recognize asteroids and mine out relevant resources without mining our goddamn R&D lab and ruining the beautiful table brought with us from Earth as a memento is...
a challenge.
We've resorted to basically manually programming every possible scenario in. The drones won't exactly be "reactive", but they're mining drones, not androids. It'll take some time, but programming isn't expensive and the occasional small drone prototype doesn't cost much.

Automated Resource Requisitions: 0/8 [1] |  20M + 50NM | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing Invested

Prototype
Efficacy: [2]
Having a lot of drones trying to mine the same asteroid is trouble waiting to happen.

A.R.R. Drones can, independently, succesfully locate a spot containing relevant resources and bring it back, but by god are they bad at it in groups. They constantly crash into each other, accidentally mine the optical sensors out of each other, mistake space dust as cargo drones (HOW) and their communications occasionally get mixed up so the wrong drone is getting the wrong orders. It's a mess.
But it's not completely broken. They can still get some work done in the required hordes. Just not a good amount of work done. It costs a lot of power to power all these drones, and it doesn't help that they keep getting each other destroyed. But with patience, and using a lot of the resources the working drones bring back to keep the "horde" at a viable level, we can get some resources mined.

• Design: Automated Resource Requisitions
    -3 Power;   -0 LS Capacity;   -1 Skeleton Space
    Produce 10 Noble Gases, 10 Uranium, 50 Hydrogen, 100 Metals, and 100 Non-Metals / Jump
    A mining system composed of a swarm of very poorly-cooperating drones trying to mine "together". They are very inefficient, but eventually produce some resources..
    600 Metal, 700 Non-Metal

Design: 'Saker' Laser Turret
More powerful than the Kestrel, the Saker is designed to remain effective at longer ranges by having a shorter wavelength. Graduation from active defense system to main weapon carries a bit of baggage, however. Namely, a human crew. The crew controls a longer, more focused scanner, and in conjunction with an aiming computer is capable of "locking on" to smaller areas. Manually triggered, the Saker fires in pulses which minimize the effectiveness of ablative armor. The turret itself juts out slightly from the hull, mounted on a set of gimbals that allow it to rotate omnidirectionally, while the control area is located behind the turret.
Project
Time: [6] Progress: [3] Cost: [3]
Lasers aren't that hard. Get a couple mirrors, lots of power, and some emitters.
Getting the materials required for a proper laser isn't the easiest thing, but with some effort we can get the resources to do so. But once we have these things, we can use established science to work our way to something worthy of a weapon.

'Saker' Laser Turret 0/5 [2] |  30NG + 30M + 80NM | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing Invested

Prototype
Efficacy: [6]
The 'Saker' Laser Turret will be the first step towards ensuring the security of Eden under our organization.

It'll take a lot of power, sure, but for the first true laser weapon it's something to behold. It doesn't require much action by the crew disregarding maintenance between Jumps, they can just focus on targetting while the capacitors fill up. The laser fires in a series of pulses, effectively melting armor before it (though this doesn't go straight through armor). The targeting system isn't too complex, but is effective enough to allow our human crew to do their jobs effectively. Hitting a target like an Ark should be trivial, and it should be fairly possible to purposely hit certain rooms causing precision damage thanks to the nature of the laser.
Our capacitors still aren't great, so rate of fire is low and the Saker will not be able to fire if it doesn't receive full power.

It won't be doing much widespread damage, but in all our simulations so far the Saker should be an amazing precision weapon. We expect 10% integrity damage against an unarmored module.

• Design: 'Saker' Laser Turret
    -5 Power;   -1 LS Capacity;   -1 Skeleton Space
    A highly precise pulse-laser that doesn't do tremendous amounts of damage, but is good at hitting precise single targets. Low rate of fire and cannot fire without full power. -10% integrity damage to unarmored module.
    100 Noble Gases, 100 Metal, 400 Non-Metal

Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ark 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

The Revision Phase of Jump 0 has begun. We will encounter the Corporate Ark on the beginning of Jump 3.
Barring special circumstances, voting for Consortium and Ark names will conclude at the end of this Jump.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arks Race - Consortium Ark (Jump 0, Revision)
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2018, 09:45:29 pm »

Chemovisual Resource Identification System

As an upgrade to the in-progress Automated Resource Requisitions system, the R&D team has (hopefully) come up with a system that allows it to reliably tell the difference between refined material and raw resources. This system basically involved forcing a computer to take spectroscopic data, colors, and a wireframe outline and make it identify data as common materials or structures, each of which are assigned a Mine, Do Not Mine, or Give To flag. This should allow drones to not mine optical lenses, by, say, highlighting silica with impurites embedded in a non-drone shape as acceptable mining material. Conversely, a drone shape with pure silica that is clear is not acceptable. Once the computer shows up with an acceptable set of parameters, the code is installed into the drone platforms.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 10:17:05 am by Doubloon-Seven »

Avanti!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2018, 09:50:31 pm »

Hmm... our new engines are a bit unstable... I wonder if we could find some way to eventually convert them into Missiles? Disabling the safeties and sending them hurtling into the other ship is almost guaranteed to cause massive damage, Especially if they limit themselves to one type of defence...
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2018, 09:54:33 pm »

Chemovisual Resource Identification System

As an upgrade to the in-progress Automated Resource Requisitions system, the R&D team has (hopefully) come up with a system that allows it to reliably tell the difference between refined material and raw resources. This system basically involved forcing a computer to take spectroscopic data, colors, and a wireframe outline and make it identify data as common materials or structures, each of which are assigned a Mine or Do Not Mine flag. This should allow drones to not mine optical lenses, by, say, highlighting silica with impurites embedded in a non-drone shape as acceptable mining material. Conversely, a drone shape with pure silica that is clear is not acceptable. Once the computer shows up with an acceptable set of parameters, the code is installed into the drone platforms.

This is great, but it needs a Give to... flag to prevent mishaps with dust mistaken for cargo drones. If that is included, this gets my vote.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2018, 10:02:32 pm »

Just give everything an IFF; have each drone broadcast what it is and flag anything in the immediate vicinity of the Ark's IFF as non-target for it. (Should somewhat idiot-proof it, and our more intelligent manned miners can handle any actual mining ops within the immediate vicinity. Also the Ark is fuckhuge, why would it have valid mining targets in its immediate vicinity? We can by default assume anything next to the Ark is our stuff.)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2018, 10:06:07 pm »

There's a difference between engine and power plant, but yeah, plasma missiles could be done.

Avanti!

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2018, 10:06:15 pm »

our revision needs to go toward resource system, if we don't put it there we will be making 200 hydrogen and consuming 250 (assuming we run both the fusion plant and the stellarator right now if we just upgrade to the stellarator we would have an income of 50, not so nice)
We would also have all the power in the world if we did.

The saker is Cool, low fire rate and doesn't do good damage to unarmoured modules. Can be improved.
Another revision to consider is armour for key modules like the generator, that 150% damage after a battle is going to be murder on our repair budget.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12