Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Arks Race - Tokari: Ark Anvil (Jump 1, Revision)  (Read 12591 times)

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
Re: Arks Race - Consortium Ark (Jump 0)
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 08:41:39 pm »

I would prefer naming our ship once we are a little further in.

We are going to be meeting with the bad guys soon.

As I see it, we are ultimately beholden to the resources we have at our expense.

10 Dice, per Jump.

We have a couple options, as I see it.

We could pursue high-energy physics, we could go down the path of particle weapons, some type of energetic systems beyond fusion, and systems that support and augment that type of work. Forgoing smart, small things for the burdens of controlling massive and unstoppable sources of power.

We could pursue the industrial effort the Automated System, that is the massed production of items, pieces and things for the pursuit of advanced combat involving large amounts of munitions in the form of rockets, missiles, and nuclear weapons. Engineering great spectacles and ever-more advanced systems and drones for autonomous operations well beyond the scope of the original outline.

Or anything, really. Any type of path, but I am partial to setting our path in stone and setting our themes first and foremost before we commit to anything.

Me? My humble opinion?

The Mantra of Clones and Drones is my game.

We are the Consortium, the invisible hand, the secret puppeteer for the world's ills in our path to fortune. Would it not be our way "control" our munitions, our drones from afar, instead of risking our ship, risking our lives when another pair of hands could act with only a guiding hand to point the way?

Drones, at first just guided missiles with an avionics package so simple that it would be child's play to the financial calculus we have put our previous systems to work in would be our first creations can be improved and regressed an infinite number of times into an infinite number of devices for destruction. This could also extend to our industry, our benefactors and our life-line in this cut-throat war of business and the matter of who acquires Eden.

Clones, although I first intended this line of thought as literal cloned human beings, it can be simple AI programs, cloned over a dozen drones, but eventually, it should be something more. Those who rise above the figurative heads of the drones. The killers, murderers and destructive machines who's soul is copied over and over for their purpose. Then it can become literal, but I digress.

I will submit two proposals. I highly request that everyone else follows this format so that we may have a more cohesive time voting and digging up past items.

Proposal #0-01 is to cement my mantra of Clones and Drones.

Proposal #0-02 will begin our path of High-Energy sciences aboard the Arc.

Proposal #0-01

Project: Automated Resource Requisitions
Project: Large Bore Guided Munitions
Project: Enduring computational Theory
Save (1) Dice for Revisions.

Proposal #0-02
Project:Mining Lasers
Project: Spinal Mounting of High-Energy weaponry
Project: Fusion Research
Save (1) Dice for Revisions.

• Automated Resource Requsitions
Completely revamping our Automated Resource Requisitions system, we have replaced our outdated and almost experimental mining vessels with automated machines and systems, designed to be deployed from internal racks, which can store a huge percentage more vessels then traditional hangar based systems. These mining vessels would acquire their resources and then dump them into the processing holds and finally either recharge on a charging pad or be re-acquired into the internal manufacturing array that would take the drone apart and maintain it before sending to mining again, or for storage upon the successful completion of mining the area. These systems are assisted with hauling drones, so that they may acquire as much raw ore to refine into metal/ Non-Metal/ Uranics over Noble Gas/Hydrogen.

• Large Bore Guided Munitions
The first weapon application created, these are large missile launchers, designed to fire off guided munitions with an explosive payload towards targets as designated by the operator and their sensor suite. Evasive systems are negated in favor of going as fast as possible using available resource stock. The Missile Launchers themselves are expected to be automatically reloaded from internal magazines of missiles and should be able to fire off a decent volley of missiles. The number of volleys should depend on how many rockets we can feasibly fit in a magazine without becoming unwieldy.

The average missile size should be about the size of a small couch or a desk.

• Reconnective Computational Engine Theory
Large amounts of resources are spent towards the acquisitions of computer systems able to process data while under direct line of fire. Battle damage has become a complete expectation in our field of craft, and a comprehensive set of guidelines, electronic parts and subsystems have been developed for current and future systems. In short, the end goal of this research is to be able to create computers and electronic equipment that can redirect data around damaged components, while simultaneously putting in backups and superfluous parts so that a piece of equipment would have to be utterly destroyed before it is rendered nonfunctional.

• Mining Lasers
The development of a high energy particle system designed to break up and rapidly increase the temperature of an ore-bearing asteroid for implementation on our mining craft. Asteroids can be processed far faster and with higher noble gas/hydrogen yields compared to traditional methods. In addition, high energy furnaces, centrifuges, and other machinery are prepared for processing raw ore into resources with higher yields and speed.

• Spinal Mounting of High-Energy weaponry
Research is put into creating the reactor siphons, Skeleton modification and complete structural re-haul required to assemble a spinally mounted energy weapon. A massive engineering task that should not be taken lightly. Weapons proposed should be there a laser, or a particle laser based configuration at first.

• Fusion Research
The Fusion reactor is studied intensely, so that further improvements, replications, or derivatives may become possible, as well as expertise in repair, maintenance and other possibilities are opened. We will focus on either reactor expansions that do not require advanced plastics, or combat applications for the process of fusion.

Quote from:  Vote Pan
Proposal #0-01 (1): Blood_librarian
Proposal #0-02 (0):
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 08:59:57 pm »

...that is a load of stuff. A+ for composition, man. I'm not sure if I agree entirely with either proposal, though. Particle weapons will be incredible at close to medium range and as infantry weapons, but missiles and their tracking ability would be great at long range. True AI makes me pretty nervous, as well. The missiles and spinal cannon seem like excellent proposals for the next jump, but I'm of the mind that you can't have an offense without a defense--hence my point defense gun--and it feels a bit ambitious to begin a spinal gun with no prior experience with lasers.

Avanti!

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 09:41:10 pm »

Personally, I think our top priority is fixing the life-support, followed by point-defense and missiles. To this end, I support Proposal #0-01, the Kestrel, and the Stellarator. I also suggest we name the ship the Osprey and keep our current name as the Consortium for now.

Quote from: Vote Box
Designs
Extreme Excavation: (2) FallacyofUrist, DoubloonSeven
Hammer: (1) FallacyofUrist
Kestrel: (2) DoubloonSeven, Iridium
Laceration: (1) Frostgiant
Stellarator: (2) DoubloonSeven, Iridium
-----
Ship Names
Havoc: (1) DoubloonSeven
Anvil: (1) Jilladilla
Osprey: (1) Iridium
-----
Group Names
Eternal Freemen: (1) DoubloonSeven

Quote from: Proposals
Proposal #0-01 (2): Blood_librarian, Iridium
Proposal #0-02 (0):
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:46:51 pm by Iridium64 »
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 09:50:32 pm »

We can't do that. Proposal 1 is a block of three designs, and we only have 10 dice. Also, you can add your name votes to the box. Nevermind, you just did that.

Avanti!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 10:21:21 pm »

We are the Consortium, the invisible hand, the secret puppeteer for the world's ills in our path to fortune. Would it not be our way "control" our munitions, our drones from afar, instead of risking our ship, risking our lives when another pair of hands could act with only a guiding hand to point the way?

No my friend. You misunderstand. We are those who rose up united against the tyranny of unchecked capitalism. Those who risked everything to salvage an ideology from the vestiges of an ever more despotic and unchanging world. We are the last hope of the common man, who is forever lost and nameless in the bureaucratic sea of a corporation. We are Space Communists, set to establish this new world for the people, free of oppression and open to everyone. A society where at last man kind can flourish. We are the last and best hope for a free humanity.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 10:33:39 pm »

Please set three designs into a Proposal so we don't get two mining designs at once. Please. I made a nice system and you people don't even bother to use it.

I encourage everyone to prepare a proposal that determines how many designs we make and how many dice we are saving for revision, not haphazardly voting for one design you like best.

@Helmacon Personally, I find it unfeasible that a group of "like-minded" individuals could get hired underneath a megacorporation  (the figurative and perhaps literal representation of resource acquisition) without themselves having the motives, will and ability to sneakily gather as many resources we did without ourselves having on some level the same underhanded methods and ruthlessness that the Corporation has done.
Ship Names
Havoc: (1) DoubloonSeven
Osprey: (1) Iridium
Do not name yet (1): Blood_librarian
-----

Group Names
Do not name yet (1): Blood_librarian

Proposals for Jump 0
Proposal #0-02 (0):

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 10:39:28 pm »

Reformatted the vote box, so that people aren't locked in and can incorporate different elements. Also, the 'Iridium?' is because Iridium didn't say which part of Proposal 1 he wanted, so he can pick whichever.
Designs
Automated Resource Requisitions: (1) Blood_Librarian, Iridium?
Large-Bore Guided Munitions: (1) Blood_Librarian, Iridium?
Enduring Computational Theory: (1) Blood_Librarian, Iridium?
Mining Lasers: (0)
Spinal Lasers: (0)
Fusion Research: (0)
-----
Ship Names
Havoc: (0)
Osprey: (2) Iridium, DoubloonSeven
Ark Two: (1) Blood_Librarian
-----
Group Names
The Space Communists: (1) helmacon
The Consortium: (1) Blood_Librarian

Avanti!

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 10:57:16 pm »

I'd like the resource system, but we simply need a form of attack. Besides, missiles can be fired at asteroids.

Designs
Automated Resource Requisitions: (1) Blood_Librarian
Large-Bore Guided Munitions: (2) Blood_Librarian, Iridium
Enduring Computational Theory: (1) Blood_Librarian
Mining Lasers: (0)
Spinal Lasers: (0)
Fusion Research: (0)
-----
Ship Names
Ark Two: (1) Blood_Librarian
-----
Group Names
The Consortium: (2) Blood_Librarian, Iridium
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 11:00:41 pm »

Did you not even read what i just posted? There was a reason why I formatted the vote box like I did.

I really, really don't want to make two sets of excavation equipment or any scenario where that can possibly come up, and right now Extreme Excavation, Automated Bore requisitions along with two other  systems are in the running, and if people vote for it, then we will get two get damned mining systems in our designs. the way I did it, it was very very simple to just put down a Proposal listing the systems you wanted.

With how the Draignean system works, we really need a cohesive plan that can't be a bunch of parts voted together, it just doesn't work.

What I am asking is that we throw away the fuck-off huge list of Designs and stick to voting in entire plans for the turn that detail what designs we make in one whole chunk, so that way a coherent and "safe" design plan is made rather than three different designs that may or may not work together.

Also, why the hell are we deciding on Ship and Group names Now? Three people already stated outright conflicting statements of our group (Communists, bad guys and cat people respectively.) Can we please take at least a single turn before we vote on something we really don't have the ability to change once started?

@Iridium, we ahve two more turns for developing things, iirc.

Ship Names
Change name later: (1) Blood_Librarian

Group Names
Change name later: (2) Blood_Librarian, Iridium

Proposals for Jump 0
Proposal #0-02 (0):

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:05:10 pm by Blood_Librarian »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 11:12:22 pm »

There are pros and cons to doing proposal-based voting vs. individual project voting and I think whatever system we use should be put to a vote.

I definitely agree we should wait on our group name, though. Ship name, on the other hand, should be done now. Christening ceremony and all that.

I'd like the resource system, but we simply need a form of attack. Besides, missiles can be fired at asteroids.
We can do both at once. And I still think boarding pods would be better than missiles.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 11:18:58 pm »

We can do both at once. And I still think boarding pods would be better than missiles.
But what if the boarding team is killed? A missile is sure damage. I don't think they will think of point defense.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:21:37 pm by Iridium64 »
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 11:39:49 pm »

I didn't, actually. I think I double-clicked on the 'Post' button and missed your message. I just now checked again. Sorry, I can actually see your reasoning there. I guess everyone else should decide on whether to incorporate your designs into a plan or to vote for one.

Proposals for Jump 0
Proposal #0-02 (0):
Proposal Principles of Particles and Plasmas (1): DoubloonSeven
-----
Ship Names
Wait: (1) Blood_Librarian
-----
Group Names
Eternal Freemen: (0)
Wait: (3) Blood_Librarian, Iridium, DoubloonSeven
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:22:35 pm by Doubloon-Seven »

Avanti!

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2018, 12:43:28 am »

Joining this sight. FOR THE GLORY OF THE CONSORTIUM!!!
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 01:49:27 am »

I dislike the fact most people here are American because it means that by the time I wake up, there will inevitably be a buttload of posts I need to go through, and people who've already solidified their plans for this turn.

Expect a proposal from me in 5-6 hours.
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2018, 09:12:41 am »

Personally Blood Librarian; I don't like your proposal for restructuring the votebox... We can always sub-divide the votebox and cram similar designs in the same category, letting only the greatest of the group move on to full Project status. (Simply put, we all agree to a mining design yet not on which mining design? Toss them all in a sub-category and let them battle to the death!)
Not to mention that in the future the 'fuck-off huge list of designs' could very easily become the 'fuck-off huge list of slightly different plans'.

Design Plans are just a bit impersonal in my opinion.
Although, I do suppose that this will all become meaningless in a few turns when we go to the normal 5 dice and are physically incapable of tossing out 2 designs a turn without saving up last turn's dice.
Also BL, you did change Iridium's vote by changing the votebox and slotting him under your plan; he only voted for one thing under your plan, not the entire thing.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12