Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: The Ameliorate War, Nafuna, 1902, Strategy Phase.  (Read 5663 times)

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
The Ameliorate War, Nafuna, 1902, Strategy Phase.
« on: July 11, 2018, 03:36:02 am »

(Nafunan Banner/flag made by Nikola/Thanik and slightly modified by Talion)
Over a thousand years ago we where forced to leave our home and the Nile, and we sailed in the hopes of finding a new home where we would be safe. We found that home here, and for a thousand years we lived in peace and prosperity, the lands we arrived on were like our old home. At first, there where others here, but over the years they slowly came and joined us as we grew from a small group of people to a true nation like Egypt once was and managed to build great cities and farmed the land. Over time, we grew over the land and the gods helped us. But little over six hundred years ago, another people ended up on this land to the north. For a time, we lived in peace, with us ignoring them and leaving them be. But not long after they arrived, they started raiding and taking our land while we where unprepared to defend ourselves and our new home. A mistake we haven't made since. We have been at war ever since then, and we never have been able to finish off these invaders once and for all. However, that might change now. Not too long ago, an odd ship sailed and made landfall, strange people with odd accents and languages came. Over the course of a month, we managed to make communication with them and learned they where from a place called Great Brittan. They offered us a trade for knowledge, and we accepted it, them finding much value in our crafts. They left, and others soon came, but it has become clear the world has advanced far past what we have technologically, but that will change in time. With the knowledge of the outside world, we will finally push out the invaders once and for all, and you have by order of the Pharaoh been put in charge of saving our lands from the barbarians of the north.

OOC and rules/what the hell is this here

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

So, to protect our home, what will we design?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 04:40:01 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ameliorate War, Nafuna, 1900, Design Phase.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 03:53:27 am »

What about a small shrapnel bomb with a delay fuse that can be thrown long distance with a sling?  Can be used by both line soldiers and from chariots, but doesn't have to be particularly accurate to be devastating.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 03:55:29 am »

Eh, best we focus on artillery first. It helped us the first time, it'll help us again!
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 09:49:58 am »

Seth Demi-Culverin
Much like a musket, the Seth follows the principles of ballistics, but on a much larger scale. Its projectile is an eight pound iron sphere--alternately, a canister filled with musket balls--shot from the barrel of a bronze tube mounted upon a carriage which is to be pulled like a chariot for transport. The shot and powder are loaded in at the same time, with a tight linen bag containing both. To fire, the bag is pricked through a touch hole, a fuse is inserted, and the assembly is lit with a slow-match. As a safety precaution, the barrel is swabbed with a sponge in between shots. It is rifled to allow for more accurate firing.

Tactics using it are to involve mobile fire support, with the men operating it being provided horses so that the cannon can travel faster.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 10:55:23 pm by Doubloon-Seven »

Avanti!

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 01:54:37 pm »

Ignore me, just looking
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 06:42:33 pm »

I'm still an Egyptian! And high priest of Bast! And all that.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 07:36:18 pm »

Bumpify. Also, have a design:

Desert Sand Land Mine MK1:
We've created a primitive land mine design. When stepped upon with sufficient force, the Desert Sand strikes flint against steel(the pressure of the foot triggers the mechanism that does this), igniting gunpowder and setting off the land mine. We expect people to lose legs when they step on the Desert Sand. We've made sure to camouflage the Desert Sand in a variety of options, from sand color to earthy to green.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 06:39:02 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Seth Demi-Culverin (1): DoubloonSeven
Desert Sand Land Mine MK1 (1): FallacyofUrist

Vote boxes are nice. Land mines also seem cool, though artillery fills a much larger gap in our arsenal, in my opinion at least. I'd bet that the barbarian Kharikhitans are working on something to work with their cavalry, and artillery fire support will be invaluable in getting rid of them.

Avanti!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 07:23:58 pm »

Agreed about getting a cannon, but you may've left something out on your design. That, and iron ammunition might be a bit too short ranged. Enter, the C&P design from the last thread!

Djer 6’’ cannon
Djer is a new cannon for the Nafuna military. It fires what are essentially massive cartridges, upsized to be 6’’ in diameter. They have a primer and propellant in the a metal casing, with projectile at the other end. They are loaded from the breech of the gun, with firing happening by pulling a rope that releases a hammer that strikes the primer. The barrel is rifled.
The breach and the barrel rest of rail, allowing the entire assembly to move backwards when fired. There are two static tubes on top and below the barrel. One is simple tube filled with oil, while the other is a double tube, filled with oil on one end and pressurized air on the other, with a mobile seal between them. When fired, the gun moves backwards on the rail, pulling two pistons inside the sealed tubes. This causes the air to be compressed even more, as the movement of the piston causes the oil to push against the seal, moving it against the air. The gun returns to the firing position as the air seeks to uncompress, assisted by springs. This helps to counter the recoil of the gun.
This movement also reopens the breach, ejecting the spent cartridge, allowing the weapon to be rapidly reloaded.

EDIT: Given the better state of our tech, going for a rifled breach-loader seems like a decent plan.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:31:39 pm by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 07:31:10 pm »

What did I forget? Also, lead isn't great as a material for cannon shot, since it would deform upon firing and transfer most of its energy into one target. A cannon ball should be able to bounce and roll through enemy lines to maximize damage.

Edit:
Djer 6" Cannon (1): Taricus
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:33:47 pm by Doubloon-Seven »

Avanti!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 10:28:18 pm »

Let's try the Djer, we should be ambitious.

Djer 6" Cannon (2): Taricus,voidslayer

Would a breach loading, rifled flintlock with paper cartridges make sense for next turn?

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 10:44:05 pm »

I'd prefer a muzzle-loading caplock with a conical bullet, considering that needle guns had issues with their firing pins getting blown off. Also, I really, really do not think that the Djer is a good idea. Attempting to go straight from flintlocks being considered complex to making a full blown breach loading howitzer seems like a ridiculously huge jump.

Avanti!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 11:21:30 pm »

PTW and snark.

Speaking of, lead shot is also not the best projectile for the fouling it likes to leave in standard rifling, one of the reasons why the British used Polygonal rifling in the lee-metford.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 11:33:11 am »

PTW and joining.

Can we make better boats?

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 12:35:59 pm »

We can, but there's not exactly much to improve upon besides adding better sails or a ram, since we lack naval weapons.

Avanti!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7