Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The Ameliorate War, Karikhita, 1902, Strategy Phase.  (Read 3806 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ameliorate War, Karikhita, 1900, Design Phase.
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 03:59:06 pm »

iron is probably still better for the cannon structure.
...no. Cast bronze is better, and results in a lighter cannon. Cast iron is cheaper, and to an extent lasts longer (but has the unfortunate tendency to burst for no reason).

E: Here's an explanation of why bronze is better. Note, for example, that iron cannons were, like, >10% heavier: http://weaponsman.com/?p=32625
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 04:04:44 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 06:13:50 pm »

seeing as the only real difference between the current offering of designs is size. we will just vote for what size the Shonkhor will be.

I personally think we should go for the 5.5 kg seeing as i highly doubt we will be able to make the 2 kg gun light enough for us to move it through the swamps or mountains so we may as well go for the largest gun we can get while still being light enough to be moved across the battle field in a timely manner.
Quote from: Shonkhor
2kg cannon[]
4kg cannon[]
5.5kg cannon[1]khang

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2018, 06:20:49 am »

Quote from: Votebox
Shonkhor 2kg cannon: [1] NUKE9.13
Shonkhor 4kg cannon: []
Shonkhor 5.5kg cannon: [1] khang
I mean, even if we can't move a 2kg cannon everywhere in the swamps/mountains, there must be roads through those areas of varying quality. I think a 2kg cannon will be able to reach more places than a 5.5kg one.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 08:43:59 am »

4-pounder (2kg) is...not a common cannon caliber. It's very small, doesn't pack a lot of punch, and when we upgrade to shells and start making use of canister shot, it's not going to be able to use them well, if at all. The eight/nine-pounder (4kg) is probably going to be better for our purposes, because it will have a substantial area of effect and won't NEED to be revised to have an effect at sea.

Shonkhor 4kg cannon: [1] Madman
Shonkhor 5.5kg cannon: [1] khang

The 4kg should also still be portable with a two-horse team. Probably.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 10:54:42 am »

Shonkhor 4kg cannon: [2] Madman, khang
Shonkhor 5.5kg cannon:
Ok it is obvious that you all want a more portable gun than the 5.5kg so i will change my vote for the 4kg instead.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 01:46:47 pm »

The 4kg should also still be portable with a two-horse team. Probably.
Source? I'd expect it to require at least 4 (to move at a reasonable pace).

Either way, if only to speed things up I'll vote for the 4kg for now. It is true that it would be more effective in naval operations.

Shonkhor 2kg cannon: (0)
Shonkhor 4kg cannon: (3) Madman, khang, NUKE9.13
Shonkhor 5.5kg cannon: (0)
(The square brackets were causing weird stuff, so I changed them to round ones)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 02:49:49 pm »

My source is my own intuition, which is probably not the most reliable of things when talking about moving smoothbore cannons by horse :P
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 11:29:38 pm »

PTW and snark.

Also, 4lbers are totally a common caliber. Just look at the HMS Speedy which in 1801 managed to take a spanish ship while it was armed with them. It also lost three men dead, nine wounded, but thats past the point.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2018, 06:33:06 pm »

4kg cannon:
bore diameter: 10.5cm
gun length: 2m
gun weight:  550kg
with carriage: 1050kg
shot weight: 4kg
max range: around 1.5km
Shonkhor 4kg Cannon. Normal(2+1=3) Buggy mess
The Shonkhor 4kg cannon is a 4kg cannon that is heavy cannon that requires a team of six operators, two gunners, two soldiers, and two officers. The soldiers mostly there to help with the tasks of the turning and pushing it when in the mists of battle where moving it by horse is impractical, for protecting the cannon crew, and a few other menial tasks. This would be fine if it weren't for the fact that the cannon seems to have a lifespan in a scale of minutes from our test. After a couple of shots, the barrel seems to take damage and either the next shot causes the cannon to be unable to be loaded properly, or, unfortunately the more common case, the cannon explodes violently. Still, the Cannons seem to be able to fire a total of 5 shots before the risk of the gun exploding, so, with moderation and high maintenance they can work as intended so long as our soldiers know to only fire them so many times and know the risks involved, though luckily, there is generally 70 out of 100 gunners will survive if it explodes, at least from what our tests have shown. Costs 2 Ore, Cheap

It is now the revision phase, the Khan is for now not focused on you or your work this year.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 06:38:38 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ameliorate War, Karikhita, 1900, Revision Phase.
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 06:36:17 pm »

I see that Karikhita's beginning-game luck hasn't left us yet.

Shall we just revise the thing to bring it back to original specifications and get the ridiculous weight down?

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 11:13:10 am »

With how the barrle id blowing up it seems like the metal used in making the cannon is or really poor quality as for cutting down on the weight we can look into reducing the weight of the carriage.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2018, 01:15:07 pm »

Seeing as bronze cannons are not supposed to blow up like described i am going to assume there is an issue with the metal.
cannon improvment:work should be done to improve gun reliability so they don't blow up after a few uses. Additionally work should be done to try and shave off some weight on the gun carriage.

Quote from: vote
cannon improvment(1) khang

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2018, 01:26:39 pm »

Quote from: vote
cannon improvment: (2) khang, NUKE9.13

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 10:52:01 pm »

Nah, bronze guns can do that too.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2018, 11:01:28 pm »

Nah, bronze guns can do that too.

I don't think bronze cannon are supposed to blow up after a few shots. Also based on what some people have explained on other forms comparing bronze and cast iron cannons, bronze cannons usually have their barrels rupture rather than having the cannon explode.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5