Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Cigarettes or vape??  (Read 4595 times)

KindMargo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Cigarettes or vape??
« on: July 09, 2018, 02:54:41 am »

Hi everyone.
I'll try to explain shortly. I've decided to give birth to a child but I'm a smoker. I've read on the Vapingdaily that vapes are less harmful than simple cigarettes. Has someone tried? I'm still worrying because not sure whether vaping will be enough for me. I  know that they contain nicotine.
Can someone give me a piece of advice?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Cigarettes or vape??
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 02:57:01 am »

Move this to Life Advice.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 07:39:13 am »

Trivial googling says that vaping is, at least, somewhat safer for the child than cigarettes (probably, potentially depending on exactly what chemicals are part of the vape material). So if you're absolutely incapable of stopping while the child is developing, vaping is the better option of two bad options.

Critically, though, it's still not safe. Vaping probably won't do as much harm/be as likely to harm your child as continuing to smoke, but it's still more of a danger than not doing either.

That said, your best option so far as advice goes is to consult your doctor when you see them about pre-natal care (which you should be doing prior to getting pregnant). They should either have better advice on the subject, or be aware of someone who does.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 09:37:31 am »

I'd say NEITHER. Both are bad no matter what.

And yeah, this goes in life advice.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 11:12:03 am »

Cigars. Pipes. Or vape. Whatever. Move away from cigarettes (coffin nails) and try smoking out on your porch.

Or just hotbox in the nursery with your kid playing with his mobile while both of you are stoned out of your gourds. Its all natural, man. Its good for him.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 07:06:03 pm »

I wouldn't recommend asking the internet for medical advice. Instead, do what I do.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 07:07:35 pm »

I wouldn't recommend asking the internet for medical advice. Instead, do what I do.

"Hey ghost how did you die"

"Smoking"

"oh"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 07:18:24 pm »

That said I do recommend pipes, ideally a long-stemmed one with a lot of class. Call everyone sport, too.

Wear sweater vests. Grow a well-trimmed beard.

All of this goes double if you're female.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 09:24:04 pm »

Want to quit, quit. If you can't quit, don't beat yourself up your whole life. If you are going to smoke, smoke for pleasure and not for feeding an addictive habit.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 11:03:39 pm »

Hi everyone.
I'll try to explain shortly. I've decided to give birth to a child but I'm a smoker. I've read on the Vapingdaily that vapes are less harmful than simple cigarettes. Has someone tried? I'm still worrying because not sure whether vaping will be enough for me. I  know that they contain nicotine.
Can someone give me a piece of advice?

Hello, friendly neighborhood skeleton here. Not everyone knows this but I am a rad therapist, I treat cancer patients. Not only that but my father, a life long smoker, died almost exactly a year ago of cancer. Not of lung cancer, mind you, but with pancreatic cancer. Part of my training was learn the etiologies of tons of different cancers, the risk factors that generally lead to neoplasm development. Smoking is a MAJOR risk factor in so many cancers its nuts. Lung, Sinus, Esophagus, Pancreas, Bladder, Stomach, Colon, rectum, Cervix, AML, etc. The toxins and carcinogens get everywhere in your body; they scrape layers of tar out of smoker's bladder's on autopsy.  And I'm not even going to get into the nightmare that is treatment and possible death.

Smoking will fuck you up.

But here's the thing: It will fuck you up in a while, usually 30-40 years after you start. Hell right now we're seeing a spike in female lung cancer cases because, roughly 30-40 years ago smoking became more popular among women.  Guess what hasn't been around for 30-40 years? Vaping. To say its safer is a misnomer. It APPEARS safer if only because we don't have any data to definitively say otherwise. However there is some evidence that it may be equally dangerous.  Take diacetyl for instance.  Diacetyl was a food additive and flavoring that was used in popcorn, caramel and dairy products until it was found out that inhaling vapors from it caused what they call "Popcorn Lung", a progressive scarring of the lungs.  It was taken out of foods but is still used in lots of E-cig fluids.  There was a scare about it a while ago about it and research was done but we don't have enough information to say one way or another the risk it causes in the E-cig form. And thats just the nature of E-cigs in general: We simply do not have enough evidence to say one way or another how dangerous or benign they are. And we probably won't know for decades.  If anyone tells you they are safer, that person is lying. If anyone tells you they are more dangerous or as dangerous, that person is lying.  We simply don't know.

Now, are you asking this for smoking WHILE pregnant or afterwards? If you're thinking of doing it While pregnant, My advice is not to risk it in either form. The CDC has said that any form of exposure to nicotine (Which is very toxic. Its used as an insecticide after all), regardless of the form (Smoked, vaped, chewed, etc) is potentially harmful to the child.  If you're asking for After you give birth, then its a toss up. Known vs unknown risk. Keep in mind that even if you smoke entirely outside and away from the child (The bare minimum you should do) there is thirdhand smoke to worry about, residue that builds up on your skin, clothing, and anything you smoke around. Its less toxic than first or second, but its still dangerous.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 02:25:25 am »

I subscribe the above
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 03:25:38 am »

Yeah, don't smoke or vape or chew or snort tobacco when pregnant. If you cannot quit it, have an abortion.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 04:43:41 am »

Well its not quite that bad
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 04:55:29 am »

What about lipping tobacco
Love, scriver~

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 09:46:24 am »

Well its not quite that bad
I would say it can be. Exposure to smoking and nicotine can cause all sorts of complications and birth defects, including miscarriages, placental abruptions, preterm delivery, cleft palette and so on. Its dangerous for both the mother and the child.

What about lipping tobacco
I can only assume you mean chewing tobacco. To quote the CDC again

"Using smokeless tobacco during pregnancy can increase the risk for early delivery and stillbirth. Nicotine in smokeless tobacco products that are used during pregnancy can affect how a baby’s brain develops before birth."

Nicotine is a poison. It is toxic in and of itself.  Chewing tobacco has LESS toxins than smoking, yes. But it has higher risks of Head and Neck cancer than smoking (Exponentially higher if used with alcohol) and can still harm the fetus.   There is no good way, there is no safe way to get nicotine while pregnant. Or while not pregnant.

According to This the safest way is nicotine gum with the patch coming in second.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4