Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 42

Author Topic: Fallout: Raiders of Louisiana  (Read 45135 times)

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Raiders of Louisiana
« Reply #450 on: January 31, 2019, 08:26:34 pm »

okay, we should see what is the probability that we could steal from the city if the things get boring

I was planning in us going to that dogplace but that will be enough, the problem is that with just tender and whisper there they won't use the opportunity to rob merchants or whatever

well, it's our time to do the scouting with anyone that wanna join

we should check that cave, put something to make they think we are using it as a hideout and return
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 01, 2019, 04:27:51 am »

We may also want to see if what we're doing is actually having any effect on the town or if we need to find some way to ramp it up, and see if they're expecting anything. It can wait but let's consider sending someone to town to see what's going on. The new guy's probably the ideal pick since they wouldn't know him there yet but I don't think he can be trusted to leave the camp at this point.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 01, 2019, 04:17:45 pm »

okay, we should see what is the probability that we could steal from the city if the things get boring

I was planning in us going to that dogplace but that will be enough, the problem is that with just tender and whisper there they won't use the opportunity to rob merchants or whatever

well, it's our time to do the scouting with anyone that wanna join

we should check that cave, put something to make they think we are using it as a hideout and return

We may also want to see if what we're doing is actually having any effect on the town or if we need to find some way to ramp it up, and see if they're expecting anything. It can wait but let's consider sending someone to town to see what's going on. The new guy's probably the ideal pick since they wouldn't know him there yet but I don't think he can be trusted to leave the camp at this point.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 03, 2019, 06:35:58 pm »

We're getting close, don't you worry.
I'm n-not worried, i j-just d-don't like being s-so out in the open. If t-they're hunting f-for us here, we're s-sitting d-ducks.
The hell is a duck?
I don't know, but i think they d-die easy. Hence, the mmm-muh... metaphor.
It's a saying, not a metaphor.
Semantics
True. Let's keep moving. Pip-boy says it's just ten more minutes.
G-good. Say, are you sure about s-sending in Nubsy? T-the guy means well, b-but he isn't always the b-brightest.
Would have preferred Whisper's new boyfriend, but I don't trust him enough.
He w-won't get away from c-camp with Ellis around. Eyes like a hawk and ears like a fox.
You think hawks are still around? I mean, I know foxes are, but...
Only ever saw c-crows. Sometimes ravens.
Nevermore, I suppose. It's a shame, hawks looked nice in the pictures.

The map has proven quite handy on this thing. You can see why people like these things so much. Of course, most people have a 3000 these days. You don't now why the 2000 was even still in production and getting shipped to vaults, considering it was outdated even by then. Vault-tec isn't one to shy away from the costs, and they're the ones making the things anyhow. They have to be a clever company if they were able to perform a purely altruistic act of protecting people inside vaults. Of course, you rarely hear from vault communities, for some reason. Apart from Vault city and vault 22, you haven't heard of any. Although you did hear Arroyo came from vault dwellers? They seemed a tad too tribalistic in origin for you to believe that, though.
Most likely, the traders were lying. They do that a lot, you find. At least you've got plans to burn the last one that did it.
You and Shakey find the cave in no time at all, though you didn't meet your dog-scouts. It's a fairly large place, and they likely went further east if they're properly dog-hunting. You found a couple of Brahmin carcasses, picked to the bone by scavengers, so it's not that hard to figure out why the dog packs stick around here.

Looking into the cave, at first glance, things don't seem too wrong. First glance being the operative word here. Something strikes you as odd, and after a while, you get what it is. Somebody else has been in here. There's a few signs around that don't quite fit the cave you left. For one, there's a little trait of ash leading straight to the ladder. That wouldn't be much cause for alarm usually, but last time you were here, you and Nubsy walked out of here after shooting a ghoul. The corpse is still there, and it hasn't gone off quite yet. Ghoul corpses have the strange property of not smelling much worse after death. They don't even void their bowels, which is a particular part of the "corpse smell" that people tend not to think about. You think the corpse has been shifted a little, but that could have been gravity taking its toll on the strange position of the dead creature.
Back to the trail, a singular trail of ash doesn't quite add up. There's some larger piles of it as well, and it doesn't look right for it to have been from the wind.
Is something wrong? Let's get moving.
You grab Shaky by the collar, just in time. You saw a glint of metal beneath the ashes.
It's trapped. [PER:23]
Huh?
Taking out your crowbar (you left the toolkit at home. Too cumbersome for scouting), you dust away some of the ash. Sure enough, beartrap. This one isn't padded to avoid injury, though you've no doubt it's from the same mercenary. While you could just smash your crowbar on the pressure plate to set it off, you know enough about this kind of thing to set it off without any danger. [Repair: 35/25] As you work, you also notice that the release has been removed. You would have needed a crowbar to pry this thing loose, had it snapped around a leg. You have one on you, sure, but still...
Seems you might have pissed him off by destroying his laser weapon. Taking you in alive isn't quite as likely if you're bleeding out from a snapped femur and torn flesh.
Damn. Good eye.
I got lucky. Watch out for any other piles.
Once you know where to look, of course, it wasn't hard to gather up other traps. There are two more in the entry chamber, and one at the bottom of the ladder. To your surprise, there is a gecko trapped in there. It's been here for a little while, guessing from the blood. It doesn't take much more than a look before Shaky gets to finishing the creature off. Gecko's are right bastards, and they're worse when they're injured. Shakey proves his strength by choking the thing out before applying the right amount of torque to to snap the thing's neck. You lend him your old kitchen knife so he can get some cuts of meat from it.
You turn on the pip-boy light (you kind of forgot that was a thing pip-boys had), and keep looking around. The one trap at the bottom of the staircase seemed to be the last one, though you find some more signs of the mercenary. A small wooden box, and some small oil stains. New gun? Must be ballistic if it needs oil. Or he was just working on his traps here, who knows.

This little trip won you four bear traps in all, but you're all but certain the mercenary is going to come back here to check his traps. How long that takes is a mystery, of course. And you might not be able to take him, considering his armor. Your shotgun won't be enough.

Statistics and inventory.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Perks

Party members

Quest log

Addiction status: You're shaking really bad. Aiming and most actions will suffer.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 03, 2019, 10:54:43 pm »

Check the box from a distance, if possible, can be bobbytrapped

just leave the cave, dismantle the proof that we were here, and put two other bobby traps where he didn't expect to be near the cave. With luck he will step in his own bear trap

maybe we can fit a energy cell between the teeth of the trap? it can explode when the trap is activated and negate the power of his armor
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 04, 2019, 05:48:19 am »

Check the box from a distance, if possible, can be bobbytrapped

just leave the cave, dismantle the proof that we were here, and put two other bobby traps where he didn't expect to be near the cave. With luck he will step in his own bear trap

maybe we can fit a energy cell between the teeth of the trap? it can explode when the trap is activated and negate the power of his armor

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 06, 2019, 10:37:48 am »

You approach the box very carefully for a moment, but eventually you elect to go for the good old strategy of throwing a rock at it to see if it does anything. Once the box replied with a hollow thud, you decide to just kick the thing over. Nope. Just a box to work on, carelessly left behind. Still, better to be safe than sorry. You put the box back to where you placed it, wiping off a little bit of the ashes while you're at it, and decide to place your first beartrap about where he'd be sitting, but out of view by virtue of the box. He'd have to be awfully careless not to notice it, however, so you throw some heaps of ash over it as well. Without a light it's pretty hard to see where it is, but considering the man was working on his gun in this darkness, it's likely safe to say he's probably got a light of some sort. You also consider placing a battery between the steel jaw of the trap, but you elect against it. The trap itself isn't going to make that thing explode, even outside of the logistical error that the trap jaws never actually touch eachother in a successful trapping. There's a leg in the way for that to happen. Also, a battery by itself isn't very explosive, it's only when you put it in a volatile situation (say, as ammo for a directed energy beam) that it turns potentially dangerous, and that's really more the gun than the energy cell itself. People crack these open to give some special taste to their moonshine, it's not exactly dangerous. Well, battery acid-backed moonshine kind of is, but not for the reason you thought it of it.
You place another trap somewhat to the right of where the original was at the bottom of the ladder. You're just hoping he steps into that thing trying to avoid his own, now moved, trap.

You place one more trap in the cave itself, and just plop one down outside to finish up.You're not sure if this will be enough to trick him...
[INT-based quality]
Well, you can choose to stick around to see if he steps in the trap or not, or you could move on and get back to camp. You make sure your presence isn't easy to spot, and Shaky was more than able to help out. While it's not perfect, it should be well enough.

Now it's just a matter of sticking around or moving away.

Perks

Party members

Quest log

Addiction status: You're shaking really bad. Aiming and most actions will suffer.

EXP: 40/1000 (Beartrap disarm/place: 5 EXP)

Sorry for the late update, internet broke
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 07, 2019, 07:12:11 am »

I say we wait around for a few hours, and if he doesn't show up we go back to base.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 07, 2019, 09:18:15 am »

What is the probability of him being easy prey if he steps in one of his own bear-traps?

if there isn't, we just go back to camp, and hope it piss him off

If there is a decent probability we should check, if in the end we find that it's not really true we can just have our muffled laugh and leave with him pissed off, if we see him extremely screwed by his own traps we can make sure our combat is to make him unable to use his weapons, shaky can wrestle him when we get in close quarters and we can strip his helmet off

Then

with a gun in his face

he will talk

I don't know why I paused so much, I'm already drunk and got a bit dramatic
Novice english wordsmith

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 07, 2019, 06:21:13 pm »

There he is, that motherfucker.
You tap Shaky on the shoulder, waking him up form his slumber as he looks around in that wake-up daze that is common with people hat weren't planning on dozing off into dreamland. He quickly catches on, though, as he sees the man in proper military combat armor step forward. He's got a new weapon alright, looks like a more normal gun this time. You can't quite tell what it is at this distance without getting spotted. The ghoulish fuck doesn't look to be in a hurry, and you just grumble different expletives as you see him walking. Eventually, he walks close to your first beartrap and... doesn't step on it. The ghoul doesn't even come close to the other one. Then, when he enters the cave you keep hoping to hear a sudden yell and a snap, but nothing happens. And to make matters worse, it's clear that he realized the issue. He rushes outside, aiming his rifle around the plains and trying to spot you in some regard. You keep low, swearing in a growing rage at your failed attempt. You should probably just leave, considering you can't get the upper hand with that over-equipped asshole. At the range you're hidden, you don't stand a chance with any of your weapons. .357 is powerful, sure, but not powerful enough to pierce combat armor using a revolver design that is about 400 years old. You're going to have to find another way to get the drop on him. You bet Shaky could get him down, but getting close isn't the only issue. He's well-supplied enough to have a few surprises.

Of course, now that's he's up and aware of your shenanigans, he's out there scouting for any kind of movement. You kind of regret sticking around at the moment, but there was no way to know if you were going to catch him or not. You doubt that he'd be able to disarm his own traps with ease, but given enough time the ghoul probably would have fought his way out of the steel jaws.
As you slowly try to crawl away, guiding Shaky, you note that even if your trap placements are crap, you're still damn good at sneaking out. Even if you are filthy again.
To be fair, you've only been "clean" since your medical intervention. Not a lot of chances to take a shower, out here...
Eventually, you manage to sneak away, leaving your adversary rather angry, you hope. He'll get his, you'll make sure of that.
Then comes the walk of shame back to camp. It's already evening by this point, the hours spent waiting for your victim having been wasted. At least the walk back wasn't too eventful. You find a couple of bloodstains in the ashes, here and there. he winds will cover these up sooner rather than later, but you wish your dog scouts were a tad more careful with their acquisitions. They might have made their location abundantly clear already, but you don't need MORE ways to know you're settled in at the quarry.
Oh, no need to get steamed about this.

When you arrive back at camp, you see that they've started a little party while you were gone. Having gathered up whatever will burn, they're currently roasting a skinned dog over an open flame. The new kid, Tim, is talking fast about how to best turn the meat around, to keep it as soft as it is tasty, but most people just look at him with that sort of passive disinterest. In one ear, out the other. Well, apart from Blitz, who is spending her time listening intently and occasionally looking at the smoking meat like it's the most beautiful thing she's ever seen.
Hey, fellas. Do you have anybody on watch?
Tenderloin. Ellis says. She's spending her irritated post-psycho comedown on looking at the horizon and calling it a bitch.
[color=lime green]It was kinda funny. She spent about half an hour yelling at the moon, calling it a space egg... And she called me a cunt, but I'm sure it was a joke.[/color]
Mister? You're not turning the spit.
Tim notices his mistake, and quickly begins turning once more. He's clearly pleased at having an audience. You didn't expect him to be passionate about cooking, considering he was a drug caravan guard.
How was the scouting on your end? As you can see, Tenderloin and Whisper didn't find much other than dogs. Not even a caravan or a traveller. Must be an off day.
I S-say it's o-other r-raiders. That r-road tends t-to get a little c-clogged from time to t-time.
That's good. If the town goes hungry, we can make a move.
Sure thing. On that note, I figure the dog's nearly finished... Anything else to add? Your water purifyer's been hard at work, so that's fine too.
We got enough for everybody?
We're rationing a bit, and we've still got some stuff from the trader we took down, but it's been decent at collecting dew. You ask me, though, there's rain in the air.
Well, let's hope there's no rads in it. We're a tad exposed out here. Anybody have an idea on how Nubsy's doing?
He was going to spend the night there, so we're not worried quite yet. If he's not back by noon tomorrow, we're in trouble.
Yeah, not feeling like doing a rescue mission, to be honest.
S-same here.
Oh yeah, those suck.

Dinner was surprisingly comfy, and your gecko steaks were welcomed as well. The smaller cuts of meat were quicker to cook than the dog, and your own dog was happy to chew on a big chunk of meat. The mutt spent most of its time laying close to the fire and soaking in the heat, and sometimes it just jumped at Cheese Pizza to see the light up top flash in alarm. Even without a combat routine, it at least knows when something is passing by. Could make for a decent sentry,if you figured out how to make an alarm go off. And give it better vision.
Lots of work to be done.

Night falls, and it's about time for some sleep. What will you do tomorrow?

Perks

Party members

Quest log

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 05:47:05 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 08, 2019, 08:19:00 am »

I say we spend some time and fix everyone's guns using the toolkit while we wait for Nubsy to return.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 08, 2019, 11:44:06 am »

I say we spend some time and fix everyone's guns using the toolkit while we wait for Nubsy to return.
+1 and dismantle some of the most unused bullets and use it's parts to make bullets to the guns in need
Novice english wordsmith

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 09, 2019, 06:03:35 pm »

How did you even manage this? How is it still firing?
I don't find a lot of clean rags, alright?
Tipping the gun forward causes sand to leak out of it. Have you ever disassembled this gun before?
No. I haven't had any issues with it.
Well, whatever. I'll just get this thing cleaned up in a second.
You continue tinkering on Ellis' gun, still kind of amazed it's still going. To be honest, you'll likely need a little more to get this thing going at full functionality again, but you've likely avoided a future jam. You move on to Rotface's gun, though you aren't too happy to get his unique arome on the handle. The pipe rifle is well-made, insofar one can get a pipe rifle going. A fully automatic isn't an easy feat, especially when they didn't even bother to smooth the wood. Long periods of use have already worn down a little bit of the stock, but it could use a little more. You start applying a little sandpaper to it, which was included in the toolbox. It doesn't take too long before the risk of splinters is reduced considerably. Opening up the internals of the gun is actually kind of a surprise. It looks like the firing mechanism was just lifted wholesale from an existing gun, and had a collection of broken parts replaced with approximations. Mostly, it'll probably work fine. The shelf life of the weapon is really just dependant on how long the materials can handle the shaking and how long it takes for the spring to uncoil. You take the time to refit some existing parts, as you don't have anything to outright replace some parts with. The spring could use a little work, and the firing pin looks like it has run its course. There's a visible crack, as well as some discolouration showing off the stress in the metal. Not much you can really do, but it should fire a little more comfortably.

Whisper was not willing to give her gun to you, but you could tell she maintains it personally. It's the only gun here that's actually shiny in some regard, and she even cleans it while you're watching, most likely to get the point across. You just move on. Your own guns could use a bit of a tune-up. You tighten the screws on your shotgun, for instance, as the break-action is a bit fickle after extended use. Other than that, there wasn't much to do, other than cleaning the barrels a bit. Your pistols didn't need much, although your 9mm is clearly a tad crap. You don't have replacement parts, though, so it'll have to do for now. The .357 is as sturdy as always. So few moving parts that it's pretty much impossible to break to the damn thing.
You consider testing if you have what you need to convert ammo, but you leave that be before you even try. Even if you had the tools and workspace needed to get the powder, primers and casings , you'd need new casings for the bullets you intend to make. You'll need to find those, somewhere.
It took you the better part of the morning to get everything looked over, but it was a worthwile inventment, you feel. Everything should come together a tiny bit better. (Team combat rolls have improved by +5 for two days)

Nubsy finally arrives around noon, during which time the remains of yesterday's dog and gecko steaks are finished off entirely. He says that people are starting to get nervous on the food situation, but they have enough stocks to last a week or more. Either way, food prices have gone up. If you want to have them starve, you'll need to attack the town larder, or just steal the contents somehow. It's a bit further away than most of the other important stuff, but it won't be a cake-walk. Nubsy also mentions that people seem unhappy there. Like, worse than usual. He can't place as to WHY that is, but he "has a feeling" on the matter. Great. Very useful.
Well, you could send out another person to go scout for ways to their larder, or you could try something else. Maybe fortifying your position wouldn't be an unwise decision as well?

Perks

Party members

Quest log

Neat stuff I do:

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 09, 2019, 10:49:53 pm »

Send someone to give the message "the bishop, the one that brought back a angel says that they have about 1 week of supplies, the jihad will start soon, any help to disrupt the infidels will be glad" to the blackfingers, it's about time for them to be useful

send someone to scout ways to the lard

and the rest reinforce

Novice english wordsmith

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 10, 2019, 10:48:50 am »

Send someone to give the message "the bishop, the one that brought back a angel says that they have about 1 week of supplies, the jihad will start soon, any help to disrupt the infidels will be glad" to the blackfingers, it's about time for them to be useful

send someone to scout ways to the lard

and the rest reinforce

+1
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 42