Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42

Author Topic: Fallout: Raiders of Louisiana  (Read 45050 times)

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Raiders of Louisiana
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 05:21:47 pm »

STATS chosen, but you can get a redo at the end of the "tutorial".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, look at mister average over here... I knew you were nothing special, but it's something else to see it clear as crystal. Come on, get to Bulletpoint. Grab your damned gun and get out of my face. Tent to the left, if you're too stupid to remember.
You are pushed out of the medical tent, still suffering from that horrible headache. You stumble a little, feeling the ashes under you shift and change as you step upon it. Right, you were in the Ashen Planes when you hit that caravan, but... Things are still a little fuzzy. You try to remember what you're currently suffering from, you're pretty sure you heard of it before, but... (Medicine: 13/20)
You can't think of it for the life of you. Man oh man, does it hurt. Well, you stumble in the direction of the armory, nearly bumping into one of your raider pals, a wiry looking woman, currently shaking a bit and snarling at you, not unlike a dog. Right, Rita. She must be getting the withdrawal symptoms again, crazy junkie bitch. Barely dressed, too, some patches of metal that could hardly be called undergarments. The place is hot enough, though. The sun is beating down on like an angry god, clearly displeased anybody would spend time in the desert for any length of time. You're used to it, of course, you've wandered through far worse after your exile. Just a bit longer, and you'd have ended up as those wandering ghouls. Skin like leather and a boiled brain. Good thing you found that lady's camp.
Too bad she didn't have enough to share, though.

You enter the armory, and the lanky man inside is quick to notice you.
Well, shit. Look who it is! I figured you weren't getting up after that last caper. Your gun's on the table over there, oh, and the boss allowed you to grab a dose of your favorite. They're on the far table... Also, could you help me out with this rifle when you've stocked up? I think two hands might be better than one, here...
On the table, you can see your gun, clearly reassembled recently. It's a little rusty, but it's been good enough...
Starting weapon?

But, of course, you're damned glad you got your favorite fix. You need this stuff to keep going, or else it just starts... You are not a happy camper under withdrawal symptoms, no sir.
Choose your addiction! (You're a raider. What'd you expect?)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:12:38 am by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 05:55:47 pm »

10mm pistol and jet. Simple and effective. The shotgun is better, but we have the strength for melee and nothing for range. The other guns are all ammo-guzzlers, which seems like a bad plan... Jet is low pain high gain, except that it makes us ambush fodder...

Shotgun and Steady. Because I am hoping to get my stats through after the tutorial, and that means something close-range for emergencies, and being twitchy around explosives is just the most Fun ever!

Edit: Ooops. Didn't capitalise the f!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 10:08:11 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 06:03:04 pm »

.357 Revolver
Steady

Avanti!

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2018, 07:44:23 pm »

Shotgun
Steady

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 06:30:07 am »

.357 Revolver
Steady

+1 Every time I play New Vegas I always go straight for the .357.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 06:54:23 am »

.357 Revolver
Steady

+1 Every time I play New Vegas I always go straight for the .357.
+1
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 04:15:19 pm »

The old cowboy classic, a Peacemaker .357 revolver. As much as the others called it a junky piece of shit, your little piece never, ever jammed. Not to mention it's had enough power to kill that alpha dog, no? Hell, if you felt like it, you could take on Pack Leader with that thing. Yeah, you could, if you WANTED!
You don't want to. Super mutants might just be a tiny tad tougher than your 300 year old pistol. They're tougher than a lot of things, really, so it might be best if you didn't think too much about it. You look the revolver open, noticing a few screws that aren't as tight as they should be, and after some turning of the cylinder, there's some squeaking that wasn't there before. Well, you're more than able to work on it in here. (Repair: 28/20)
Is what you would WANT to say, but your hands are shaking. It's been two god-damned days since your last fix, and you feel like you wouldn't be able to even HOLD a screwdriver. You take the bottle of Nuka-cola, affixed with a hose, and stick your lighter under it. The hose is already in your mouth when the small bit of liquid at the bottom starts to boil and the fumes start coming through. You breathe deep, and feel yourself relaxing rapidly, your hands slowly coming under control and turning perfectly still. You let the plastic bottle fall to the ground and flex your fingers.
That'll keep you for a bit.

With practiced hands, you figure out how to tune up that gun again, and even apply a little oil to stop it from being noisy and keeping everything turning beautifully. You even replace the hinge of the gate at the back, so your bullets don't fall out as you work. It takes just ten minutes, but it guarantees that thing won't fall apart for the next few months or more.
I get that you're attached to that gun, but help me fix this damned rifle. I don't know what it is, but the fuckin' bullets won't load proper. Bulletpoint complains at you. He's the armory master, but guns aren't his forté. He makes bullets out of other bullets, he wouldn't know his ass from a firing mechanism.
You mean it's jammed or it's just not loading properly?
Man, you look at it.
He throws the repeater rifle in your hands. Ah, Lupus' rifle. The team's "sniper". He has the longest range is what we mean, he's not exactly accurate. Still, considering ol' Lupus is a Legion deserter, you're not about to fight him over it. He could still floor you in a fight. You look over the rifle, and it's not hard to see where the problem lies. You open the gate of the rifle, using the lever, and see the problem instantly
The idiot managed to get his gum in this thing. The spent bullets won't go out of the rifle when it's gummed up like this... What, you didn't even TRY to disassemble it first?
I didn't want to break it!
Christ... You mutter, as you grab a small, rough brush that you assume was used once to unclog drains, and you scrub a little at the piece of gum. It comes loose, ever so slowly, and you eventually switch to a spoon handle to scrape the last bits off. Not that difficult, it wasn't that much of the stuff, but just enough to stop the bullets, you suppose. When you're done, you place the rifle on the table and move out of the tent. Bulletpoint doesn't even thank you as you walk out, but whatever. You push the tent flap aside, and bump straight into what feel like a steel beam. You fall back, and you groan as your headache returns in force.
Well. Look who's up. A deep, rumbling voice says.
Hello, Pack Leader...
The massive green mutant looks down at you with his arms crossed, his beartrap fist equipped and ready to fire.
Come. We captured the little one that bopped you over the head. You get to choose what happens to her.
What?
The little slave with the baseball bat. I elected to capture her over just killing her. I was considering how slowly I was going to kill her over getting my repairman in a coma, but I suppose you get to choose now. Come.

There's no saying "no" to Pack Leader. You also suspect that you're going to have to tune up that beartrap fist of his. You should have never shown off your ability to fiddle with beartraps like that, you hate working on that first. Mostly because the jolly green giant won't take it off while you work, and his muscles tend to clench up when you turn the wrong screw and hit his flesh with it. Clenching in such a way that it reminds you that your entire head could comfortably fit inside that meaty paw, and that he has the strength to splatter you like a grape. Small wonder the super mutant became the leader. You're not exactly a big fan of dealing with kids. Not to mention...
Look, you kill people for their stuff. Yeah. But killing kids is kind of a step above that, you know? But, you DO get a free choice, so maybe...
You enter Pack Leader's tent, and you see the girl chained to Pack Leader's throne. It's actually just a convenient outcropping of rock, with an added back to lean on and a cushion, but hey. As far as Ashen Plains go, that's the height of luxury. Either way, the girl isn't much to look at. She's got some striking eyes, to be sure, yellowish-brown. She's wearing something that can be called a dress, if you were kind of to refer to the rags as actual clothing. She looks really skinny, too...
Go ahead. Do what you wish to her. Then get to work on my weapon. The bolt is loose again...

What will you do with the kid? Just what kind of person are you, really. How you act here is going to decide how you tend to act whenever your character is supposed to do something that doesn't warrant a stop in the update to let you fellas make a choice.

And while we're dealing with personality, we might as well trick you out a little more: Do you have any traits that set you apart from all the rest?
SELECT TWO OR LESS (or none at all)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:44:21 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 04:52:43 pm »

Pistol whip her in the head, but not hard enough to cause lasting damage. If the location of our base is already well known, then just dump her outside and tell her to start running. If we'd prefer to keep it a secret, blindfold her, go an appreciable distance away, then remove the blindfold and tell her to start running.

Wild Wasteland
Steadied Hands

Avanti!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 05:44:04 pm »

Hit her, hard enough to leave a bruise but not enough to leave lasting damage, then we will keep her, because if we don't packleader WILL kill her...

Wild Wasteland
Steadied Hands
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2018, 07:08:33 pm »

Target identified: immature human.
Threat assessment:
 Low combat ability: physical suppression viable, minimal cost.
 Elevated stealth ability: movement suppression viable, low cost.
 Reduced Energy requirements: provisions optional, low cost.
Benefit assessment:
 Low physical properties: low value.
 Mental and physical growth phase: High investment = low value.
 Long-term prospect for increased influence within gang: high investment = low value.
Decision: Acquire target, apply neck-restraints with all moving parts outside of subject's reach. Propose sample of metallic-road-barrier bent into circle with holes punched and sealed with bent nails. Rope through restraint and tied to top of tall post. Commence long-term preferential treatment with exceptions for clearly defined rules. Provide training and extol value of skills and imply value of subject. Supply subject with "not a robot" shirt so as to defer suspicion.

Fast Shot: This is a no-brainer. Accuracy can be trained, getting down to one action-point per shot is the stuff of legends.
Four Eyes: Because goggles grant protagonist powers, and I don't recall them being easy to loot...

Then again, Wild Wastelands is fun, but not as good as a recipe for snake, because who cares how exciting your world is when you can't tell the difference between your recipe book and some of the less tasteful imitations of Lovecraftian horror...

But seriously. 2 shots at 60% compared to 3 shots at 40%? that is basic competence. 3x60% or 5x40% is reasonable. 5x95% to 10x75% is a maybe-thing late-game... Or, depending upon how the numbers work, we might be looking at 95% hit-rate regardless... Early-game it usually makes itself worth-while by letting you walk a little closer and still shoot, so you don't end up losing as much accuracy as you expect. You are still losing a little because low hit-rates suffer more from fixed percentage reductions, but meh. But late-game? The most terrifying builds are all AP-cost reducers.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2018, 07:14:59 pm »

I'm just a bit concerned there that if we run out of steady, our aim will be utterly worthless.

Avanti!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2018, 05:40:08 am »

Wild Wasteland
Four Eyes
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2018, 11:40:13 am »

You take a close look at the little thing, looking strangely fragile despite it's clear defiant look. It's shaking a lot, and you can see the ribs through the holes in the rags she's wearing.
I'm guessing you didn't feed her?
She had water. I don't waste resources, Diaz. You should know this.
Right...
Well, this bitch is directly responsible for a fresh scar on the noggin, and the reason you're currently suffering from one hell of a headache. Eye for an eye is something you're kind of big on, so...
You pull out your pistol, and smack the girl across the face with the barrel. She clutches the place you struck, shaking, but she doesn't make a peep.
That's for hitting me. Now, come on... You mumble a little mor as you release the chain from the throne. You don't even bother asking for the key, you just use your collection of bobby pins to spring the simple lock open. You can probably just force it open with a screwdriver, but that'd break the lock.
How about we just keep her, boss?
Slavery attracts attention I don't care for, Diaz.
She was a slave before this, this is probably a step up for her. Come on... what's the harm?
The super mutant glares at you in a way that reminds you of just how easily you could die here. He's usually a mellow guy, but as Doug attested, it doesn't take THAT much to set him off to smash somebody into a separate calender entirely.
The HARM is that we could get a lot more attention. Attention that comes with bigger guns and self-righteous idiots with a tendency to slit throats in the night! So, no, we are NOT keeping a slave.
I didn't mean it as a slave. We can just... you know... Take care of her? Give it a couple years and she'll be swinging with the best of 'em. Not to mention, pre-war people hid tons of shit in small places, eh? You give him a nudge and a wink, so he gets the point.
The green mutant sighs and rubs his temples for a moment. Then, he grabs you by the shoulder, causing you to shrink as you expect your imminent death. Then he presses a meaty finger to your chest.
Fine. But YOU take care of it, and NOBODY else. If Chef wants to eat it, you're the only thing that stops him. This girl is your property now, NOT OURS. DO YOU UNDERSTAND.
Some flecks of his saliva cover your face as you look away from the screaming green giant of muscle and fury.
C-crystal.
Then we're agreed. Go on, take the little morsel. I expect that collar to be paid back as tithe. Remember that, next raid.
...F-fine. Yes.
Yes, who?
Yes, sir. You mumble, not looking the mutant in the eye. How humiliating.
Good. Now, take a look at the fist. It's been making a rattling noise, and I can't handle the screwdriver that well.

Mr. big hands let you go after you tightened up the screws again on that beartrap fist. It's a cool concept, yes, but it's honestly not THAT practical in your opinion. Of course, you also walk out with your new... associate? Slave seems a little much.
Right. What do I call you, for easy reference? You ask, as you drag the kid along. You don't actually need to do any pulling, she comes along without any trouble. Although, she does remain silent when you ask the question.
Hey, I asked you a question. Answer it! You yank on the chain, just enough to hurt, but not enough to actually injure. The lurch is enough.
I don't know. she says, staring at the floor. You just cock your head at the answer.
What the hell do you mean you "don't know"?
Papa Mort never gives his slaves names.
Is this Mort guy the newest head of the camp?
She makes an inquisitive "hm?" just as you point to the pike at the edge of camp. A head, adorned with an annoying curly moustache and a bullet hole from Lupus. He was riding on top of the cart you raided two days ago. His guards weren't anything special, that's for sure. Two shots to the back, and pow. Down for the count.
You can't remember anything past that, though, that headache is still quite horrible.

The kid just stares at the pole for a while, seemingly in shock. You decide to wait it out for a while, let the kid get her kicks. Then, she pulls the pole down (she has to use her entire body weight to do it) and then she starts kicking the head and spitting on it. Screaming and crying as she does it. You, meanwhile, adjust your goggles a bit, cleaning some of the filth. You're not blind without them or anything, it's just easier to see in general. Not to mention, people can't pluck out your eyes. that is another purpose of the goggles!
Either way, the girl lets out all the energy she has on the head for about five minutes before collapsing entirely. You just spent some time looking over the great empty planes of ash. The smell is kind of annoying, once you notice it. Everything constantly smells vaguely something burning. However, you notice something odd, in the distance. You adjust your glasses again as you peer in the distance, and eventually you notice it. (PER 6/6) There's some things heading your way, hard to spot against the grey landscape. Geckos, from the look of things. Did Lupus not notice? Well, nothing to be done about it.
WE'VE GOT GECKOS INCOMING! you yell, as you pull the kid along. She fails to get up too fast, and you just scoop the girl up to get things moving along. She's so light, too...
God-damn it! Again? Bulletpoint says, holding up his hand to keep the sun out.
The raiders all start coming out of their tents or private gatherings. You see Rita laughing as she grabs her baseball bat, wrapped in chains and adorned with railway spikes. She also takes a hit of Jet as she laughs and runs in the direction you're running from. The Wolf Pack is all ready to fight, and you're going to be there as well, but...

Where do you put the kid, and how do you fight this 'menace'? You're in a fairly open field, but there are some tents to take cover by. Those rocks are also a factor, maybe.
COMBAT MAP (Work in progress, still trying to see what map would be best, if at all. This is a pretty huge picture)

Combat Stats
Inventory

Writing up the chances and items and holy shit why did I make so much math. Things will be more streamlined in the future, i'm just introducing the way things work.

Also, general attitude is "jerk" but with a heart of... not quite gold. Not even a precious material, really, closer to maybe obsidian. Kinda nice, but not too nice. And it's sharp and a little dangerous.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 11:42:57 am by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2018, 12:21:24 pm »

dump the kid in the tent behind Diaz, then move up to bulletpoint (one space above the starting space). then take a pot shot at the gecko straight ahead.
End turn
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2018, 12:38:48 pm »

dump the kid in the tent behind Diaz, then move up to bulletpoint (one space above the starting space). then take a pot shot at the gecko straight ahead.
End turn
+1

Avanti!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42