Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Notes on Repelling Large Invasions With Military Dwarves  (Read 3406 times)

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Notes on Repelling Large Invasions With Military Dwarves
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 08:59:31 am »

In one of the fighting threads, somebody pointed out that hunters with really high ambusher skill can effectively sneak all over the map.  If you give them dual weapons, they can apparently be extremely effective.  I imagine it would help to build a network of tunnels to enable them to easily get places to flank the invaders.  However, with the elves' fast speed they might work well in that role.  I haven't managed to try out those kind of tactics though.  Not sure if you could highlight an area for a kill order and trust that they actually get there.  You might have to burrow the squad without activating them and *then* issue the kill order.  I don't actually play a lot of games with combat (mostly like building my weird production systems :-) ).

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Notes on Repelling Large Invasions With Military Dwarves
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 01:45:41 pm »

Sethatos, I agree completely regarding exhaustion as the big killer!

One design tweak I'd suggest is to implement more "LoS breaks" in your path.  With a long straight-away that doesn't impede LoS, your dwarves become completely on their own once they sight the first invaders.  I call this "gobbling the line", as they streak down the invasion path, and stringing out as their individual speeds become relevant.  Sometimes speedier dwarves will hit a second grouping of enemies and briefly be at risk.  If you employ corners and switchbacks, it is possible sometimes to 'recover' control when your dwarves are no longer in sight of invaders.  At the very least you can usually regroup all your dwarves and have them catch a breath; sometimes you can even 'reset' and pull them back to the starting position.  A lot of that depends on whether or not you're doing tricks to string the invaders out, like Staalos' water trick.

Quick question: with that design, do you ever see dwarves suddenly appearing on the wrong side of the straight-away walls?  I have to double-wall my fighting areas because I've simply seen dwarves dodge right through single walls.  It's rare, but I see it often enough in my games (multi-seasonal invaders from FD).
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.
Pages: 1 [2]