Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 404050 times)

banelord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Everybody was kung fu fighting
« Reply #2820 on: April 28, 2020, 07:01:49 pm »

Using 3 Ethral Rifles, 2 Dynamos, A battery and some structural junk, as well as the borer workshop, set about to upgrading a rifle. Buy 2 mechanical junk using the borer stockpile from the town to use on the upgrade. Build a foldable tripod, extend the whole gas mechanism of the ethral rifle with parts of the other two and set up a gatling mechanism with the two dynamos and battery so that it can be hand cranked and held down for full auto. Use the structural junk for the tripod and for the larger casing, and add a front grip and a clawhold I can hook my grappling arm onto.(Increase pierce by 1 and increase shots per round to 4 as per discord)

Spoiler: Ony (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 06:09:52 am by banelord »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: April 28, 2020, 08:54:13 pm »

Hello, I'm a bit new to this peculiar type of forum game. Am I Allowed to join in the middle of it?

Race: Abomination
Name: Boo-Bo
Goal: be known as a hero, not a monster.
Items: Mechanical Limb, Cave Spider Venom, and a Grappling Hook.
Money: 14
Stats: Str 9(+2), Dex 8, Speed 8, End 10, Aware 12, Cunning 10, Know 10, Nerves 13(+1)
Skills: Caving (2), Survival (2), Animal Care (2), Stealth (1)
Description: Wears ripped jeans and a head underneath (no underwear) has multiple belly buttons and scar tissue where his ears should be. With only one normal arm and an almost normal face, you'd think it was a normal human when it peeks around the normal corner.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Your character looks correct. PW games typically accept new players mid game, so you should be fine. People don't generally go on solo adventures in this game, unless they are Diving into the Spheres, but there's nothing sopping you from wandering off on a solo adventure. Doing so by stealing the Bore's crawler will incur IC hostility, so be prepared for that, but if you just want to walk wherever or rent a ride, I'm sure you and PW could work out the details. No you don't vote on a bore. That was start of game only. The bore that was chosen is the one we all got. You don't have a relic fragment, so I assume you aren't a Diver. if you want to Dive, gotta get a fragment, and when you do, gotta make sure to Dive off thebore, else someone is gonna feed you to the chaos engine that ate half the bore already.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2822 on: April 29, 2020, 01:20:53 pm »

Try to find somewhere to land on, then spread out my limbs to slow down my fall to land there
You go spread eagle and attempt to control your fall. With the wind its not easy. But for better or worse you never seem to run into anything physical aside from thick cloud drifts. This sky seems almost infinite.

75 Fathoms. You got ripped off. You bought a Chest, some standard locks, some books on cults and religion, chains, and a complex combination lock.
That's strange: when I asked about the cost for items to sacrifice for diving with regard to the portal knives before you quoted the following prices to me for respectively +2 and +3:
Sacrifices: 30 fathoms, 50 fathoms. Necessarily rare.
without any rolls involved. I'm not contesting the outcome, but can you explain the discrepancy?

Alright. Looks like the chest is locked with several things. Or rather its locked and several things are bound to that action. The chest only opens to certain people...It shows you by their faces. Of the ones you know, they're all dead. There are 6 others who can open it that you aren't sure who are. The enchantments on the thing are basically safeguards. A few do terrible things to people trying to break in, and a few seem to be self destructs to destroy the contents (and the meddlers) if they forcibly break in.  They're nasty too; not just explosions but more targeted. There's one thats like some sort of chain curse that kills those who meddled even if they're not nearby.

So if I understand correctly, we could move the chest itself around without danger as long as we don't try to open it, right?

Either way, try to write down/draw the faces Adam doesn't recognize for future reference.

Also, these enchantments are only bound to the unauthorized opening of the chest, correct? So if one for example did a dive similar to the one I just did, but with the intention to copy the contents of the papers inside (or even the papers as a whole), that wouldn't set off the safeguards?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
You rolled 19 and 1 on that rarely seen fate die. Basically, you got very unlucky.  Those numbers I quoted you are the rough estimates of what you should be paying for the right stuff. The 75 fathoms is the result of someone really ripping you off.

Yes, there seem to be no traps about moving the chest.

Consider them recorded in patented scribble-vison.

Thats a little harder to say. It SEEMS like it was all focused around physical access to the chest and didn't cover duplication like that. However, diving is a bit...fuzzy. Whether or not the enchantments will consider penetration by another dive to be intrusion as they were set up is not 100% possible to say. You'd wager its...95% likely that they won't.

I wish to purchase something to be used as a sacrifice for a Dive to wipe out the mind of the Ancient Warrior. Since the Dive is mind related (and perhaps tech, since the warrior seems to be a constructed entity) something along the lines of a bore brain or a subbrain like the one I got from Balaram. Will the Fathoms I have be sufficient for such a purchase? If not, I will be playing music and renting myself out as a Dive advisor or animal handler at whatever place the Bore happens to be at the moment.

VETO banelord using the Bore funds to buy mechanical junk.

A bore brain is expensive. A lot more than 150 fathoms. Even a subbrain is up there since they're so tiny and complex. You could probably get hold of one for your fathoms, though it would basically cost all you have to do so. It might honestly be easier to go back to Balaram and try to get an object that would work than try to afford it.

((I got skipped again :())

Drive the bore to the archive we raided, also start reading the fourth book in the meantime.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
Sorry. If it happens, just hit me up on discord or via PM. I'll update the game with your turn.

So we'll assume the Crawler gets over there just fine. IF anyone wants to join you we'll assume they got on before you left.

That fourth book...I forget if I gave a title for it and its not on your sheet if I did.  If I didn't assume it is a copy of this https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/27076

From scratch or using a body like the beetle as a guide? You succeed either way, I just want to know. [13]

From scratch.

Just keep guarding Rhea'sbody for now.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)
You get something akin to the Spiky Daddy Long legs, though with more legs that come out at evenly spaced intervals. Sort of like a walking sea urchin.

Hello, I'm a bit new to this peculiar type of forum game. Am I Allowed to join in the middle of it?

Race: Abomination
Name: Boo-Bo
Goal: be known as a hero, not a monster.
Items: Mechanical Limb, Cave Spider Venom, and a Grappling Hook.
Money: 14
Stats: Str 9(+2), Dex 8, Speed 8, End 10, Aware 12, Cunning 10, Know 10, Nerves 13(+1)
Skills: Caving (2), Survival (2), Animal Care (2), Stealth (1)
Description: Wears ripped jeans and a head underneath (no underwear) has multiple belly buttons and scar tissue where his ears should be. With only one normal arm and an almost normal face, you'd think it was a normal human when it peeks around the normal corner.
Looks fine. We already have a bore, that was just a starting thing, but if you'd like you can appear on our current bore, in the town we're currently in, or over with Hotfire in the Crawler.

Using 3 Ethral Rifles, 2 Dynamos, A battery and some structural junk, as well as the borer workshop, set about to upgrading a rifle. Buy 2 mechanical junk using the borer stockpile from the town to use on the upgrade. Build a foldable tripod, extend the whole gas mechanism of the ethral rifle with parts of the other two and set up a gatling mechanism with the two dynamos and battery so that it can be hand cranked and held down for full auto. Use the structural junk for the tripod and for the larger casing, and add a front grip and a clawhold I can hook my grappling arm onto.(Increase pierce by 1 and increase shots per round to 4 as per discord)

[2]

Looks good.

Hotfire90

« Reply #2823 on: April 29, 2020, 02:06:15 pm »

Go inside to retrieve the chest we left behind and bring it back to the crawler. Then drive back to the bore once the chest has been secured.

The fourth book was titled: An Essay to the Restoring of our Decayed Trade. Also am I fluent enough now that I no longer need my notes for reading the ancient human books?

banelord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: April 29, 2020, 04:13:14 pm »

So, where are we planning on heading next? I've got a nice new weapon to test out, and I've heard you guys have been to some interesting places.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Oops
« Reply #2825 on: April 30, 2020, 01:48:48 am »

Dive to Balaraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: April 30, 2020, 03:32:24 am »

While in the crawler, Adam decides to share what he learned, over the radio so everyone is warned at once. "I have communed with the spheres and discovered that we can move this heretical chest without fearing retribution. Any unauthorized attempt to open it however, will invite major calamity on the trespasser, their compatriots and render the contents useless! So, uh, don't do that."

((Question: does anyone have anything left to do that needs to happen in this particular city? If not, I suggest we leave at the end of this turn, heading back to Anvil for some much-needed bore repairs.))

Help transport the chest, being very careful not to disturb it in a way that could set off the protections.

Once we are back, prep the bore for departure. Then, if nobody objects, we head out for Anvil! Very carefully so!

On the way there, try to sell off the opals in bits and pieces so we can maximize our profit from it and also cover our tracks (selling a ton of opals all at once would probably make it easy for any investigators to put 2 and 2 together). If anyone from the crystal explo team who is better with money and commerce than Adam wants to, they can lead the opal negotiations.

So, where are we planning on heading next? I've got a nice new weapon to test out, and I've heard you guys have been to some interesting places.
"To Anvil, this old lady got beat up pretty bad. We also have some contrab- Erm, trade goods to sell on the way there."

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: April 30, 2020, 06:59:22 am »

Look for somewhere that isn’t the sky, any crystals, an island, floating or not, a cave

banelord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: April 30, 2020, 04:52:30 pm »

"To Anvil, this old lady got beat up pretty bad. We also have some contrab- Erm, trade goods to sell on the way there."

Old lady? Also would you mind me using some of the corpses on the way to anvil, I want to create a bass guitar similar to the ones AsHul uses?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: May 01, 2020, 04:39:34 am »

Old lady? Also would you mind me using some of the corpses on the way to anvil, I want to create a bass guitar similar to the ones AsHul uses?

"She might not be the most modern of digging machines, but she's a sturdy dame that'll get you where you need to be... If you treat her well.

And sure, knock yourself out, don't see anyone else using them. They've been in there for a bit though, so they might be a bit, erm... ripe by this point. Also try not to drape the hall in guts and blood in a sacrilegious parody of the living, if you can manage."

((Also, just saw you already updated the wiki to show you used those parts, nice job!))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

banelord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: May 01, 2020, 08:50:52 am »

"She might not be the most modern of digging machines, but she's a sturdy dame that'll get you where you need to be... If you treat her well.

And sure, knock yourself out, don't see anyone else using them. They've been in there for a bit though, so they might be a bit, erm... ripe by this point. Also try not to drape the hall in guts and blood in a sacrilegious parody of the living, if you can manage."

I'll try and think of good uses for them then. Decomposing corpses smell awful, and it's really hard to get rid of the smell. How'd you come by this Bore anway, as you said she's pretty old.

Take four of the corpses and get to work making a haunted bass guitar, using AsHul's guitars and his sheet music as a basis for acoustics and strings needed. Knucklebone tuners, a nice hollow inside for plenty of haunting echo, and minimal fleshy bits to decay.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: May 02, 2020, 02:00:47 am »

Go cash in that freaking check for 3000 fathoms, then go back to the bore and put 2200 fathoms back... wherever it is that we keep money.

Give 100f to each of the adventure kids (Gus and Baxter) as payment for their assistance.  All they really did was tag along and tackle a guy once.  Then go and buy two replacement "guard rifles"--these are apparently like the armory's Ethral rifles, but their stats are 2s instead of 3s, and their ammo costs half as much.  So I assume they're cheaper than the Ethral Rifle's 40f price.

Also buy ten smoke bombs (5f each, though Nyw once got them for 2f), five flashbangs (10f ea), two mail shirts (20f ea), two black flames (3f ea), and... let's go with 1,020 bullets for the guard rifles, which costs 204f total.  You let me practice with the rifle at one check per five bullets before, so 200 checks ought to be enough to actually luck into a skillup this time, without running out of bullets.

Last purchase, go find someplace where there's divers for hire, and try to get them to enchant the new murakumo to no longer be fragile.  Last time it had cost the equivalent of a 50f reward, but that was from a Chthonic church, so I imagine it was discounted.  Any price up to 100f is fine, and if that's not enough, just leave it.

All in all, that'll leave Nyw with 250f, minus the price of enchanting the murakumo, and the two rifles.  Go collect those prisoners whose sentences got changed to community service under Nyw's watch, move them to the bore, and spend the rest of the money on whatever provisions they need.  Annoyingly, living humans need clothes and beds and food and all that other luxury stuff.  (Oh, and it was previously stated that none of these people had contacts in the city, which was why they were willing to talk at all.  If they aren't okay with leaving the city with Nya, they can stay in jail instead.)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: May 03, 2020, 10:01:56 am »

Keep playing overwatch for Rhea who is diving.

Meanwhile, try and combine crystal baby 8 (beetle) and 9 (sea urchin). Just to see what that gives me. Do try and end up with a new, coherent whole. Don't just stick them together back-to-back or something.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2833 on: May 03, 2020, 01:05:57 pm »

Go inside to retrieve the chest we left behind and bring it back to the crawler. Then drive back to the bore once the chest has been secured.

The fourth book was titled: An Essay to the Restoring of our Decayed Trade. Also am I fluent enough now that I no longer need my notes for reading the ancient human books?

We'll call that done.

I'd say so. Maybe not totally fluent, but good enough.

Dive to Balaraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam!

[10]
You appear a few feet in the air and promptly fall straight on your butt. You stand up -slowly- and look around. You're on a catwalk over what appears to be a massive factory floor. Conveyor belts run beneath you, robotic arms welding and bolting things together, spray guns firing paint, parts dropping in from chutes or being shuttled in on other conveyors. It seems to stretch forever all around you, in layers upon layers up and down, almost fractal.

While in the crawler, Adam decides to share what he learned, over the radio so everyone is warned at once. "I have communed with the spheres and discovered that we can move this heretical chest without fearing retribution. Any unauthorized attempt to open it however, will invite major calamity on the trespasser, their compatriots and render the contents useless! So, uh, don't do that."

((Question: does anyone have anything left to do that needs to happen in this particular city? If not, I suggest we leave at the end of this turn, heading back to Anvil for some much-needed bore repairs.))

Help transport the chest, being very careful not to disturb it in a way that could set off the protections.

Once we are back, prep the bore for departure. Then, if nobody objects, we head out for Anvil! Very carefully so!

On the way there, try to sell off the opals in bits and pieces so we can maximize our profit from it and also cover our tracks (selling a ton of opals all at once would probably make it easy for any investigators to put 2 and 2 together). If anyone from the crystal explo team who is better with money and commerce than Adam wants to, they can lead the opal negotiations.

1. Done
2. Handle this at the end of the turn. Make sure everything gets paid for in terms of fuel. Via the paths its 1 per space If memory saves.
3. [18] You make 5K from the sales.

Look for somewhere that isn’t the sky, any crystals, an island, floating or not, a cave
[15]
You can see nothing. The storm around you is getting worse, lightning is ripping through the sky all around you. A bolt passes within maybe 20 feet of you, leaving you blinded and deafened for several seconds.

I'll try and think of good uses for them then. Decomposing corpses smell awful, and it's really hard to get rid of the smell. How'd you come by this Bore anway, as you said she's pretty old.

Take four of the corpses and get to work making a haunted bass guitar, using AsHul's guitars and his sheet music as a basis for acoustics and strings needed. Knucklebone tuners, a nice hollow inside for plenty of haunting echo, and minimal fleshy bits to decay.
[12]
You fail to get the guitar made...but you don't lose any of these...lets call them disassembled organic crafting materials.

Keep playing overwatch for Rhea who is diving.

Meanwhile, try and combine crystal baby 8 (beetle) and 9 (sea urchin). Just to see what that gives me. Do try and end up with a new, coherent whole. Don't just stick them together back-to-back or something.

[7]
You end up with what amounts to a praying mantis crystal thing. It can shoot lasers and has [cut 4] claws.

Go cash in that freaking check for 3000 fathoms, then go back to the bore and put 2200 fathoms back... wherever it is that we keep money.

Give 100f to each of the adventure kids (Gus and Baxter) as payment for their assistance.  All they really did was tag along and tackle a guy once.  Then go and buy two replacement "guard rifles"--these are apparently like the armory's Ethral rifles, but their stats are 2s instead of 3s, and their ammo costs half as much.  So I assume they're cheaper than the Ethral Rifle's 40f price.

Also buy ten smoke bombs (5f each, though Nyw once got them for 2f), five flashbangs (10f ea), two mail shirts (20f ea), two black flames (3f ea), and... let's go with 1,020 bullets for the guard rifles, which costs 204f total.  You let me practice with the rifle at one check per five bullets before, so 200 checks ought to be enough to actually luck into a skillup this time, without running out of bullets.

Last purchase, go find someplace where there's divers for hire, and try to get them to enchant the new murakumo to no longer be fragile.  Last time it had cost the equivalent of a 50f reward, but that was from a Chthonic church, so I imagine it was discounted.  Any price up to 100f is fine, and if that's not enough, just leave it.

All in all, that'll leave Nyw with 250f, minus the price of enchanting the murakumo, and the two rifles.  Go collect those prisoners whose sentences got changed to community service under Nyw's watch, move them to the bore, and spend the rest of the money on whatever provisions they need.  Annoyingly, living humans need clothes and beds and food and all that other luxury stuff.  (Oh, and it was previously stated that none of these people had contacts in the city, which was why they were willing to talk at all.  If they aren't okay with leaving the city with Nya, they can stay in jail instead.)

1. Into the savings sock it goes.
2. Done. 35 for the pair.
3. Ok.
Code: [Select]
!roll d50+50
Bonesette
BOT
Today at 10:59 AM
@Mr. Bones rolled 51. (1,   50)
51 fathoms ya lucky bastard
5. You get 5 Moths, a lizard boi, and 2 humans. You spend 27 fathoms getting them what they need to live on the bore for the moment.

We've arrived in Anvil. Its the city this all started in if you guys remember. I'll assume you guys park at the warehouse.

Hotfire90

« Reply #2834 on: May 03, 2020, 02:17:14 pm »

Alex walk up to Nyw, holding a book in his hand. "Hey Nyw do you know where all the other books are? I'm almost done with my set and I couldn't find the others on the bore."
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 231