Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 403695 times)

Hotfire90

Re: DIG: It belongs in a museum!
« Reply #2655 on: March 02, 2020, 02:19:59 pm »

"We don't need any real help, a couple of lookouts watching out for any assassin hit squads heading our way would be nice, but otherwise we're fine."

Begin the assault when they have their next big meeting. Leave the tactical planning to the police, they probably have more experience in breaching a building than I do and should know the layout of the archive too.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: March 02, 2020, 03:42:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
”if we aren’t needed here, we should go get Clate”

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2657 on: March 02, 2020, 06:50:11 pm »

"... That sounds like the sort of thing you might require help with. ... We've got a heavy weapon on the crawler. If you can get me a driver I could cause some damage with it, maybe make a hole for you. Or I could find a sniper position to cover you from. I'd hate to leave you alone here." Especially if things go badly and we need to run away.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: March 03, 2020, 02:53:36 pm »

Set out for Clate at the end of the turn to give people a chance to do/buy whatever they need to. Have someone else pilot so I can continue tracking Clate, but if nobody else takes it upon them to do so then go out of wizardvision for a sec to set up the autopilot (go into silversmith path a little from Chamel, then when there is nobody/very few people around start drilling down toward where our crystalboy is) before going back into wizardvision.   

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: March 03, 2020, 02:55:50 pm »

Follow Adam, if no one else volunteers to, attempt piloting

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: March 03, 2020, 05:17:07 pm »

Check out the loot I took with me, is it being damaged by the heat at all? If so, try and dig a bit upwards or otherwise away from the source of the heat, just enough that the loot isn't getting damaged.

In any case, chill and wait for my partners in crime.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: March 04, 2020, 04:49:39 am »

"Nonsense, Alex!  There is a great and pervasive corruption in the heart of this city, and we are going to wrench it from its bosom, willing or not!" Nyw says with an unsettling seriousness, raising a tight fist in front of his masked face.  "A small army may be defending this criminal cult, every additional soldier will be of help!  Every body is another that can fall before defeat comes--were it within my power, I would drive the entire population to rise up against their invisible corrupters!  Alas, politics cannot allow such, and we will fight largely alone.  Alex has managed to convince a minority of guardsmen to forsake their evil master, and I have found one Honored comrade who is close to redemption, but there is no guarantee we alone will be enough!"  he nods firmly, seeming violently eager in contrast to his dramatic words.  "So YES, young Corven!  Join us, help us free this city from its taint!"

Yeah, let's do the raid!  Have Gus and Baxter join in too, though tell them to stay back from the main fighting--they can offer ranged support, but there's no need for them to be on the frontline when we have two honored dead and a handful of guards.

...And yeah, the police dudes can come up with a plan, since Nyw's not gonna come up with anything beyond "storm the front door and start beating cultists".

Hotfire90

« Reply #2662 on: March 04, 2020, 01:09:19 pm »

"You're misrepresenting the situation Nyw." Alex says taken aback by Nyw's speech. "The cult may have infiltrated the government, but the police officers themselves aren't under their control, if they were we wouldn't be here right now. We also have many options we can take should our assault on the archive fail for any reason, afterall we know who their ministers are. We can grab one of them at a time, get a confession and work our way up to the leader.

I'm just mostly concerned about the members who won't be at the meeting, there are usually around 100 of them, we're going to be in trouble if they get called in as reinforcements, or if one of the hit squads spots us. Having a few lookouts who can also serve as our backup would be ideal, they won't be in too much danger themselves and they can warn us before the reinforcements arrive.

Nevertheless I'm confident that the raid will go well, we should still have the element of surprise, they won't expect to face a raid just after they prevented an authorized one. The officers on our side are well-equipped and should take them out before they know what hit them."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2663 on: March 04, 2020, 02:40:41 pm »

"Well then. I guess that went as well as can be expected."

((My thinking was that the mover and its content would be kept safe by the energy absorbing properties of the crystal material that allowed the buildings in our first expedition to survive being dipped in magma, which is why I asked to test if this was true by using my lighter on one of the movers. Though I guess they might not be made of the same material as the buildings or maybe the heat down there is strong enough that it might get overwhelmed.))

Go help the bore crew find Clate, I guess.

"Hey guys. We had a very productive expedition. I'll let you know all about it later. We just gotta go pick up Clate. Need any help with whatever it is you're doing? Or can we take the bore to go dig him out?"

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
Set out for Clate at the end of the turn to give people a chance to do/buy whatever they need to. Have someone else pilot so I can continue tracking Clate, but if nobody else takes it upon them to do so then go out of wizardvision for a sec to set up the autopilot (go into silversmith path a little from Chamel, then when there is nobody/very few people around start drilling down toward where our crystalboy is) before going back into wizardvision.   

Follow Adam, if no one else volunteers to, attempt piloting
Check out the loot I took with me, is it being damaged by the heat at all? If so, try and dig a bit upwards or otherwise away from the source of the heat, just enough that the loot isn't getting damaged.

In any case, chill and wait for my partners in crime.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

[16][13][5] -35 fuel

Kara pilots the bore- her stats are best despite not actually having the drive skill- and the team use Adam to track Clate down. He's wedged the crystal mover into a small pocket of compressed gasses on the upper edge of the magma chamber. The mover and Clate can slowly shift the stones with their inherent stoneshaping but its nowhere near as fast as the bore's drill, so him escaping the magma chamber on his own would take a while. Kara instead drills straight into the pocket where he's hanging out and is suddenly caught up in a blast of compressed gasses and magma.  Luckily she manages to back up quickly and Clate and the Mover block off the chamber so that the magma does not rise to follow them. They move back up their drilled tunnel and stop once they reach a flat section in the natural fissure running nearby, to take stock of things.

The bore's drill is partially melted thanks to the magma; still marginally functional but slower and far less efficient.  The mover and clate are unharmed but some of the goods in the mover have been damaged by the heat. The crystal seems to have absorbed a shocking amount of energy but it still got hot enough to singe and blacken anything not made of of metal, stone, or reasonably durable materials.

"Nonsense, Alex!  There is a great and pervasive corruption in the heart of this city, and we are going to wrench it from its bosom, willing or not!" Nyw says with an unsettling seriousness, raising a tight fist in front of his masked face.  "A small army may be defending this criminal cult, every additional soldier will be of help!  Every body is another that can fall before defeat comes--were it within my power, I would drive the entire population to rise up against their invisible corrupters!  Alas, politics cannot allow such, and we will fight largely alone.  Alex has managed to convince a minority of guardsmen to forsake their evil master, and I have found one Honored comrade who is close to redemption, but there is no guarantee we alone will be enough!"  he nods firmly, seeming violently eager in contrast to his dramatic words.  "So YES, young Corven!  Join us, help us free this city from its taint!"

Yeah, let's do the raid!  Have Gus and Baxter join in too, though tell them to stay back from the main fighting--they can offer ranged support, but there's no need for them to be on the frontline when we have two honored dead and a handful of guards.

...And yeah, the police dudes can come up with a plan, since Nyw's not gonna come up with anything beyond "storm the front door and start beating cultists".

"We don't need any real help, a couple of lookouts watching out for any assassin hit squads heading our way would be nice, but otherwise we're fine."

Begin the assault when they have their next big meeting. Leave the tactical planning to the police, they probably have more experience in breaching a building than I do and should know the layout of the archive too.

The police basically offer two options: A raid while the meeting is in progress and one when its not.   They suggest the one when its not in progress due to the relatively limited number of people doing the raid. Not because they're worried about being outgun, but because you'd need a lot of people to do crowd control and keep people from fleeing. They could prioritize high level targets but even then, its gonna get chaotic. Likely people will get hit with crossfire. It might not look good for the public if some rogue police go and shoot up a religious sect. Its possible it could be spun as a vigilantee attack and the captured leaders might get off.  BUT it would let them potentially capture a lot of the members of the church and perhaps end it right away without having to track down the stragglers.

The other option is to wait until the service is basically just over, when most of the people are gone, and then raid with the intent of capturing only the leader and maybe a few high ranking members. It wouldn't be as decisive a deathblow as capturing a bunch all at once, but its easier to control, less dangerous, and less prone to mistakes.  However, it will likely leave members of the cult free to try and manipulate situations and free their leaders.

A third option, this one offered up by the other Honored Dead, is targeted strikes on the leaders while they are at home or otherwise relatively isolated. The "Cut the head of the snake" option which chooses to completely ignore the rank and fodder cultists and even the middle managers in favor of making targeted strikes at the leadership of the cult and any high ranking members with political power. It will require watching and time, plus it will likely mean splitting the team to strike at different locations all at once. It also likely means plenty of wrong doers will escape. But it is also the most efficent means of crushing the cult and preventing the larger harm it causes.

For the first option, the recommend waiting till the service is in progress, then breaching and blocking the doors to prevent any one from escaping. From there it will mostly be crowd control, as they doubt most of the cultists are armed. Most are probably relatively innocent converts who believe the message.  They plan to split the team, with half keeping the crowd covered and against the back wall while the other half move forward to the pulpit to engage the seen leader and his guards.

Second option plan similar, but with the addition of flashbanging the room before moving in and keeping the team together since there will be less need to control a crowd.

The third option calls for using that data gathered on the group members, selecting the important targets, and then taking down any that are out in the normal city while also taking down the leader at the archive itself. Likely done at night, when they are unlikely to be prepared.

Of course there is the fourth option of running in, shooting what looks like it needs to be shot, and letting the Saints sort them out later. But This doesn't quite fit with the moralities of the others.

Hotfire90

« Reply #2664 on: March 04, 2020, 05:26:06 pm »

Are there any suitable rooms we can use to keep the cultists locked up? That way we would only need a token force to keep them from escaping.

Vote for the first option if it's viable to lock them up, otherwise the second option seems best.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: March 05, 2020, 02:28:26 pm »

"Well friends, it turns out magma is, in fact, hot and not safe to swim in! Who knew?

Anyways, are you ok, brother Clate?"

Double check Clate just in case. Then check which pieces of the loot are damaged in a way that decreases their usefulness or value.

Then, move the loot over to our bore's hold (wait for it to cool!). Hide it a little, I'unno, put a tarp over it or whatever.

Finally, return to the city our other teammates are in. Could we still help them out with their raid, or are our timelines too desynched for that?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: March 05, 2020, 02:32:59 pm »

I am not sure how I can be of help, I would like to help, though, what do you need me to do?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2667 on: March 06, 2020, 12:45:08 pm »

"Bore crew! Today we have the shiny things! We have not failed!"

Well, given that we couldn't transfer things that weren't made of rock, crystal or metal since they were likely to crumble, I'd say that was a job well done. As long as I have those beautiful Crystal statues, I'm happy.

Help with moving the loot. Does Clate reckon he can move the huge Friend around or is it likely to run out of juice? Also, how easy would it be to sort of merge Huge Friend with the Nameless Nomad, both to reinforce our bore and to make it more resistant to heat.

Anyway, if we're heading back to help the others just find someplace to bury huge Friend and make a treasure map so I don't forget where it is. And also Mark the location on the control room map for good measure.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: March 06, 2020, 02:23:53 pm »

Help with loading things into the bore

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: March 08, 2020, 08:20:27 am »

Are there any suitable rooms we can use to keep the cultists locked up? That way we would only need a token force to keep them from escaping.

Vote for the first option if it's viable to lock them up, otherwise the second option seems best.

Yeah, this.  I have nothing to add.

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 231