Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 403966 times)

Hotfire90

Re: DIG: It belongs in a museum!
« Reply #2595 on: January 29, 2020, 10:28:04 pm »

"Pain shouldn't have any influence on activating it. Do apply some of the venom on your weapon, asking and waiting to be injured is uncomfortable enough as it is."

Visit the captured cultist I questioned and wait for the shirts power to be activated. The goal is to use its power on the cultist, to learn the identity of their leader and anything else useful about the cult, like how many hit squads they have and how well armed they are.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2596 on: January 30, 2020, 01:44:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Try to find the rest of the group and tell the, about the telescope that can see through stone, ask Adam if I can have my relic fragment so I can Dive to learn more about said telescope. Lead Adam and Clare to the telescope
Make sure all the things we learned today are noted down and documented.

Try to find the rest of the group and tell the, about the telescope that can see through stone, ask Adam if I can have my relic fragment so I can Dive to learn more about said telescope. Lead Adam and Clare to the telescope

"a what now? Telescope that can see through solid matter? Amazing! Yes, please do show me where you found this, sister, I would like to study it.

As for your relic fragment, I am willing to give it back to you. First I'd like to inquire however, what is the goal of your dive? And which path do you think of walking through the spheres to achieve it?"

Be shown the way to the telescope. Check out its make, use wizard eyes to look inside it as well. How does it look through solid stone? Does it work in a similar way to my wizard eyes? Or is it a diving effect perhaps?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
Noted to  note the noting.

You follow Rhea over to the telescope- we'll assume she put a rope in place or something as opposed to forcing you to do a climbing roll - and take a look inside it. The first interesting this is that you CAN see inside it. Unlike other diving effects and such, this one isn't a field of absent space for you. In terms of how it works, you're not actually sure. It has many lens inside it, all made of crystal, but nothing beyond that. Perhaps its something to do with the crystal lens themselves?  Clate did say that the Crystal could control stone, so perhaps you are seeing through it using some variety of that power?

Let's go down the steam breakdown.

You carefully scramble down the piled rocks and end up in another chamber, this one much smaller than the other, basically just an enlarged area before a tunnel.  The chamber itself is completely full of what appear to be large frond ferns in glowing teals, blues, greens and emeralds.  The tunnel beyond it is a twisting corkscrew of equally luminous flowering plants and what look like large insects. A dragon fly with a foot long wingspan is buzzing in gentle spirals about 35 feet in.

"Pain shouldn't have any influence on activating it. Do apply some of the venom on your weapon, asking and waiting to be injured is uncomfortable enough as it is."

Visit the captured cultist I questioned and wait for the shirts power to be activated. The goal is to use its power on the cultist, to learn the identity of their leader and anything else useful about the cult, like how many hit squads they have and how well armed they are.
"Hmm.  That... is rather noble of you, Alex.  Very well, I will harm you, if you are truly certain you wish it.  I will not begin with the sword, however; It is best to not risk death, if it is unnecessary.  I have some cave spider venom, do you believe pain will be necessary for the effect?  If not, perhaps I ought to douse my weapons first, to dull the agony."

Welp, Alex apparently has a magic shirt of sacrificial divination, and wants Nyw to stab him.  I've no idea where that came from, but whatever, Nyw's good at stabbing.  If Alex accepts, he will first stab Alex in the arm with a knife, leaving it in the wound.  Then wait a little, and if Alex still says that's not enough of an injury, stab him in the torso with the murakumo, taking care to avoid any vital bits.  If Nyw would not know where vital bits are, or would not be rolling on Strength to check whether or not he's successfully nonlethal, DO NOT USE THE MURAKUMO.  Use a second knife instead.  Leave the weapon stuck inside.

Also, Nyw will douse his weapons with a small amount of cave spider venom beforehand, in hopes that it will take the edge off the pain.  Just a little bit though; err on the side of applying too little to help, rather than applying so much that it could paralyze.

Nyw stabs Alex in the arm with a knife. The following two things are important.

1. Alex is wearing the shirt.
2. The knife penetrates the shirt itself before stabbing Alex.

The blood runs from Alex's new wound but it does not pool or dribble uselessly onto the ground. Instead, two things happen. The first is that the blood from his wound coagulates into his hand and over the course of a few seconds swells and crystallizes into a duplicate of the knife he was stabbed with. Second, the blood stains on the shirt flow up to his shoulders and off of them, forming the hovering shape of a humanoid upper body behind him.  Around this bloody phantom drift several more duplicates of the knife, orbiting the creature as it stares eyelessly at Nyw with barely retrained malice.

The Lootventure continues, or Kara Raven steals more shiny things!
"Bore crew! Today, we will steal the shiny things! We can take anything-"
Loot montage part 1: choose the smallest crystal people great mover. Christen it Big Friend. (hopefully being small means it can keep going longer before it runs out of energy)
"Bores!"
Loot montage part 2: load the Big Friend with sturdy looking artifacts. Try to get the great ant saddle on there if I can. (maybe with the help of crystal friend?)
"Ancient art!"
Loot montage part 3: load the Big Friend with as many ancient texts as I can fit on there.
"The great library!"
Loot montage part 4: pad the Big Friend with easy to sell valuables like barrels of gems, precious metals and fragments of crystal.
"Shiny barrels!"
Loot montage part 5: admire Big Friend currently overflowing with loot
"We claim this in fortune's name!"
Loot montage part 6: begrudgingly accept that I might actually need to lighten the load a little. Maybe after I deposit the goods I can come back for more.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
It is at this point I should reiterate something that was spoken about earlier.  There are Ethral buildings built into the walls of this cavern.  Those buildings have windows.  And while you've got your chaperones down here distracted, the people up in those labs aren't. Most of the stuff you guys have been doing are inside buildings; that or just running around. Nothing has been very eye catching so no one up there has noticed your misbehavior.

What will probably cause people to notice is a giant crystal platform loaded with stolen archeological treasures just swaggering down the road.  I'm gonna say that if you do this as you've stated, be prepared for someone to shout at you. If you wanna just do that and handle the consequences, consider this post successful and your big friend loaded with booty. If not...well then handle it some other way.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: January 30, 2020, 06:23:48 pm »

Drink 1 dose of Worm’s Blood, then Dive to figure out who made the crystal telescope and/or when it was made: Akhmah > Belarim > Yengenze
Sacrifice 2 handfuls of opals to Belarim and 2 handfuls of opals to Yengenze.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 05:22:32 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Hotfire90

« Reply #2598 on: January 31, 2020, 12:48:01 am »

"Seems like I was completely wrong about what I thought it would do once it was activated, I thought it could be used to learn about things, instead it turns out to be a weapon. A very powerful one.

Anyway we still have diving as an option. Could you bring AsHul and bring him up to speed? I'm gonna test this out a bit, as well as question our prisoner again, maybe he will have changed his mind now that I have a friend accompanying me."

Inspect the duplicate knife, is there anything special about it other than that it was created from my blood? Can I control the blood phantom or is it indepedent and really wants to murder whoever hurts me? And can it do anything special?
After that question the imprisoned cultist once again about the identity of their leader, maybe he will be more helpful now that I'm wielding a knife made from my own blood and a blood phantom is floating behind me. Should he still resist, offer him full immunity and exclusive knowledge about the ancient humans and the aboveground world if he just reveals the identity of their leader.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Oops
« Reply #2599 on: January 31, 2020, 06:39:58 am »

Hmm. The Balck Book say anything about spirals, corkscrews, or luminous plants and insects? Either way, up the corkscrew path I go. Keep an eye out for unique items. See if any of the bugs want to come with. Use my animal handling skill. try not to get poisoned.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: February 01, 2020, 12:50:14 am »

Go grab Ashul, and poke/slap the abomination lightly until it wakes up.  Carry it over to the prisoner while explaining that we need it to rip knowledge of his leader out of his mind, before the bastard sends more killsquads to murder us.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2601 on: February 01, 2020, 06:32:58 am »

Oh, I was under the impression we were deep enough into the cavern that they couldn't see us. But if they can see us, I think I have a plan.
Hmm... Could I load Big Friend but keep it in the Depot for now so that all the loot isn't visible from the outside? Or maybe move stuff I wanna loot to some hidden area near the magma pool? And are all the walls covered with Ethral structures or could I order Crystal Friend to work on opening a hole on a side that's not visible from the walls? It would be even better if it was on the side with the magma pool. Finally see if Big Friend has the same heat-resistant properties as their structures by using my lighter.

The plan is to escape through the magma pool (preferably undetected) and make our way as far up as we can before Big Friend runs out of power. If we're lucky we can make it to some hidden cavern where we can safely dump the loot or maybe even go all the way up to Chamel and find some hidden place we can dump the stuff there. Then we can move them to the bore at our leisure.

If that won't work, then I guess I'll have to come up with something else.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: February 01, 2020, 08:11:59 am »

Adam,  can I have my artifact fragment so I can dive?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: February 02, 2020, 05:17:00 pm »

"a what now? Telescope that can see through solid matter? Amazing! Yes, please do show me where you found this, sister, I would like to study it.

As for your relic fragment, I am willing to give it back to you. First I'd like to inquire however, what is the goal of your dive? And which path do you think of walking through the spheres to achieve it?"

Be shown the way to the telescope. Check out its make, use wizard eyes to look inside it as well. How does it look through solid stone? Does it work in a similar way to my wizard eyes? Or is it a diving effect perhaps?
”I’m thinking Akhmah, Belarim because it is technology, and Yengenze so that the knowledge obtained enters my mind, but I’m unsure which action spheres to go to to learn who made it and/or how long ago it was made”

"Hmm. I think that that Belarim is a good option for the material sphere indeed. And I do believe brother Ashul managed in the past to learn great secrets by summoning them with Yengenze, so that seems like a solid choice as well! And I think that's sufficient actually, I don't suspect you will need another sphere to learn the things you wish to learn. Of course, the success of your dive itself will also determine what secrets, if any, you are shown.

Now, in terms of reinforcement, what did you have in mind? And what about the environment, do you think this location is secure enough for you to commune with the beyond with peace of mind?

Finally, have you considered offering something up as a sacrifice to get on the good side of god and the beings of the spheres? Since we are trying to learn about an artifact presumably made by these crystal beings, or at least with a connection to them, perhaps offering up something that itself is made by or connected to the crystal race would work well?"

”I found some gems that look like opals. Will these work?”(shows opals to Adam) I think diving near the telescope would be fine, since it is what we are learning about”

"These do look splendid indeed! Why yes, I suspect they will serve quite well. Good thinking, sister. We'll make a great diver out of you yet."

Adam,  can I have my artifact fragment so I can dive?

"Ok then. Just don't overdo it with the number of reinforcements, all right?"

Give back the artifact, assuming the environment here counts at least as neutral. Watch over the dive, try to intervene if things seem to go awry.

Should things not explode into demons for once, consider whether just taking these lenses would be enough to recreate the effect later on, or would we need to take this entire telescope with us? And if we could, would this effect still work even when not in a crystal ruin?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 05:19:21 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: February 02, 2020, 05:24:55 pm »

[edited spoiler with relic fragment]
”thank you. Don’t worry, I won’t reinforce too much, maybe 1 reinforcement for Belarim and 1 for Yengenze

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2605 on: February 03, 2020, 01:52:44 pm »

Drink 1 dose of Worm’s Blood, then Dive to figure out who made the crystal telescope and/or when it was made: Akhmah > Belarim > Yengenze
Sacrifice 2 handfuls of opals to Belarim and 2 handfuls of opals to Yengenze.

[17,17,20,15,10,14][4,12, 17, 2]

-2 nerve. Compensated by sacrifice.

The crystal telescope was made by the crystal people, naturally.  It was made exactly 1566.3 years ago, near the end of their reign, in order to impress the other races. It was purely a propaganda piece and was effectively useless to them as the crystal overmind already knew everything within the stone.

Go grab Ashul, and poke/slap the abomination lightly until it wakes up.  Carry it over to the prisoner while explaining that we need it to rip knowledge of his leader out of his mind, before the bastard sends more killsquads to murder us.

Hmm. The Balck Book say anything about spirals, corkscrews, or luminous plants and insects? Either way, up the corkscrew path I go. Keep an eye out for unique items. See if any of the bugs want to come with. Use my animal handling skill. try not to get poisoned.

[17]
Nyw picks Ashul up by the collar and repeatedly slaps him upside the face.  Ashul doesn't stir or react to the blows in any way. Any sort of stimulation Nyw deals out -and is certain won't cause injury- seems to have no effect.

[3]
Meanwhile, back in the other sphere, Ashul considers the spiral.  The black book's more practical sections do warn about the possible strange properties of both warped space and glowing materials; as both can be hazardous to the pilgrim. Still, it is worth exploring.  He heads off down the spiral and immediately notices that gravity is shifting. He cannot feel it as it happens, but as the path corkscrews  the gravity does as well and he finds himself walking on the walls and ceiling with equal frequency as the floor. [1] As he walks, he suddenly notices something.  There is a crack in the stone, a fissure of sorts, about halfway down the passage. What makes it so noticeable is the fact that a great deal of light is coming from it. When he peeks into the fissure he can see a long and winding squeeze when ends in another cavern. The general form of this cavern is unable to be seen, but there is what looks like a pillar of sunlight stretching horizontally across it.

"Seems like I was completely wrong about what I thought it would do once it was activated, I thought it could be used to learn about things, instead it turns out to be a weapon. A very powerful one.

Anyway we still have diving as an option. Could you bring AsHul and bring him up to speed? I'm gonna test this out a bit, as well as question our prisoner again, maybe he will have changed his mind now that I have a friend accompanying me."

Inspect the duplicate knife, is there anything special about it other than that it was created from my blood? Can I control the blood phantom or is it indepedent and really wants to murder whoever hurts me? And can it do anything special?
After that question the imprisoned cultist once again about the identity of their leader, maybe he will be more helpful now that I'm wielding a knife made from my own blood and a blood phantom is floating behind me. Should he still resist, offer him full immunity and exclusive knowledge about the ancient humans and the aboveground world if he just reveals the identity of their leader.

Hard to say. It looks identical to the knife used on you, though slightly luminous and more made of crystallized red than what you would generally consider dried blood.

You seem to be able to command the blood phantom, but only in so much as you would command another person. You can't control them precisely. As per special things it can do, you're not sure.

[17,19]

Dang, even with advantage it doesn't work.

[13,7]

Once you offer immunity, he finally breaks down. He doesn't know the name or identity of the leader, but he does know the names of a few of the upper level staff of the group and, supposedly, the main compound.  He tells you all of it.

Oh, I was under the impression we were deep enough into the cavern that they couldn't see us. But if they can see us, I think I have a plan.
Hmm... Could I load Big Friend but keep it in the Depot for now so that all the loot isn't visible from the outside? Or maybe move stuff I wanna loot to some hidden area near the magma pool? And are all the walls covered with Ethral structures or could I order Crystal Friend to work on opening a hole on a side that's not visible from the walls? It would be even better if it was on the side with the magma pool. Finally see if Big Friend has the same heat-resistant properties as their structures by using my lighter.

The plan is to escape through the magma pool (preferably undetected) and make our way as far up as we can before Big Friend runs out of power. If we're lucky we can make it to some hidden cavern where we can safely dump the loot or maybe even go all the way up to Chamel and find some hidden place we can dump the stuff there. Then we can move them to the bore at our leisure.

If that won't work, then I guess I'll have to come up with something else.

You are deep in there, but its a big open cavern and a large mover is pretty obvious.

You can load it up in the building yes. The walls are not completely coated in them. most of the space is still stone. But there are a fair number of the buildings around giving them a good view of the cave.  You could probably find a blindspot in them, if you look, but the size of that blindspot might not be very big and might only exist right up against the wall. The act of tunneling out won't be the problem, making it to the wall will be. Unless of course you tunnel straight down in the depot and then out, tunneling the whole way. It would be a LOT of tunneling though.

The magma pool side doesn't have any buildings on it, the buildings are all concentrated on the other walls. 

So do you plan to go along with them for this because you are most definitely not magma proof. Nor is a fair amount of stuff you have loaded. This friend doesn't have an enclosed section either. There are friends that do, but this one doesn't.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Oops
« Reply #2606 on: February 03, 2020, 05:34:16 pm »

Mortal peril in the natural realm can wait. Let's squeeze through the gap into the enchanted sunlight.

Hotfire90

« Reply #2607 on: February 06, 2020, 12:57:00 am »

After having finished questioning the witness, Alex returns to Nyw, the blood phantom still floating behind him. "We won't need diving afterall, he's cooperating now and told me what he knew, I had to promise him immunity for that though. Turns out that he doesn't know who the leader is, but he did provide me with the names of several high level staff and the location of what appears to be their main base. Their base is likely to be heavily defended and while they are aware of us, we might still be able to catch them off-guard if we're fast enough.

I'm gonna head back into town and report our findings to the authorities, they can deal with arresting the higher level people and maybe I can even get them to assist us with our raid."

Now that he's cooperating get everything useful about the cult out of him, if he knows about the location of the cults main base, then surely he also can give an estimate as to how many members of the cult we can expect to meet there. Go to the medical room on the bore and bandage up my stab wound, observe whether treating my wound has any effect on the knife and the phantom.

Should the blood phantom still be there after I've treated my wound, ask it to hide itself or to leave if it can't or won't hide. Head back into town after that and report our findings to the authorities, mention that the cult sent a heavily armed hitsquad after us and ask them for assistance with the raid on the base. Keep an eye out for any shady people or cult hitsquads following me while I'm in town.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: February 06, 2020, 06:48:57 am »

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 03:29:41 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2609 on: February 07, 2020, 07:32:28 am »

"Hmm... I suppose this is fortune telling me that it is wrong to take this amount of loot... That's right! This is too little loot! I must not be afraid to dream bigger!"
Okay then, I choose the BIGGEST mover with an enclosed magmaproof carrying compartment.

The plan is to load it up with all the pretty things I can fit in there, including those beautiful statues of the old races. Then I can just order it to break through the wall using its own strength. Since it is enclosed, then both the loot and we will be protected. And that also means that the Ethral won't be able to tell that it's us in there or that we've taken all the loot, for all they know we accidentally activated some sort of defense system and it attacked us. They haven't even seen the loot we're taking, so that means they won't know anything is missing. There is the problem of navigating without being able to see outside, but I can use Clate's stonesense for that. Then we just navigate through the magma where they can't follow us, searching for a place where we can hide the loot so we can later recover it with the bore. Then we can go back and give them some "belly of the beast" story about how that golem captured us and we went on a magical journey or something.

Would that sort of plan work?

Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 231