Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 404615 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: DIG: Mummies Alive!
« Reply #1980 on: June 12, 2019, 12:03:40 pm »

"Then you shall have what you asked for." Kara said before making a swift bow. She then turned around and got out of there, with a brisk walk at first and a quick sprint once she was out of sight.

Search the literature on what would be the best bore weapon against Antediluvians. If I can't find anything due to stupid humans shouting "heresy" or something silly like that, try to guess. I know they are tough and can keep working with entire parts of them missing, so I need something that can cause massive damage repeatedly and/or in a large area.

Do note that I'm also open to melee weapons. I mean, if simply getting a tougher/deadlier boiler/drill would be better, or f we could add some overcharge/remove limiter mode where the drill eats fuel like crazy but has incredible power/causes massive damage, I'm all for it.

Also search for large personal weapons that could deal with tough targets, like whatever monster could be imprisoned by the Antediluvians. I don't care if it needs time to be set up and only has 5 bullets I just need it to be strong enough to deal with it.

Finally, search the literature on what is the best way to deal with bore-sized things with magical effects/protection. Could we purchase some sort of ammo that is more susceptible to diving that our divers can then modify on the fly to carry an effect that can deal with an enemy's magical nature? Or maybe there is some special bullet? Or are our divers better off attacking such a thing directly?

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 12:05:54 pm by Parisbre56 »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1981 on: June 13, 2019, 11:52:27 am »

((Lemme know if you need like...a unifying mission or something))

Alright, I think I'm done with songs for now. Dive into Telazch.

[19]
It feels as though someone hit you in the face with the flat side of a shovel. You sink to your knees and groan, holding your head.

I'll take the armor set, added to sheet. Also, go find Nyw.

Spoiler: Kalagony (click to show/hide)
We'll assume you manage to find Nyw and are not participating in his hi-jinks.

Head back to the warehouse and try using the Voice on the bottle. Assuming I conclude it’s not unsafe, open it.
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
[3]
You focus on the bottle and listen.

DO NOT LOOK AT ME
Your head starts to hurt.

((Cleaver?  Nyw's been fighting unarmed, he doesn't really need a weapon to fight normals...))

Nyw sighs as he looks down at the bleeding gangster.  "Severing the limb was not my intention, but... erh.  I heard your footsteps coming closer, and misinterpreted them as a sign of an additional aggressor, perhaps a bodyguard, and I decided nonlethal combat was no longer a safe option."  he shakes his head.  "Hopefully my mistake will not result in this poor fool's death.  Do you have medical experience?  Despite what you have heard, this man's life is supposedly worth a thousand fathoms, but neither my proportions nor my experiences leave me suitable for repairing injuries."

Ask Alex to heal John, then after he has a minute to work, pick the gangster up and rush him... either to the police, or the nearest hospital/clinic/witch doctor/church/place of healing, whichever Nyw thinks he can get to faster.

((Its on your person as far as the sheet says and fate rolls of 1 cause bad decisions~))
"There's no time to waste then. I'll try to stem the bleeding, you pick him up as soon as I'm done."

Tear some cloth from the unconscious gangster's clothes and use that to bandage his wounds. Grab the severed leg and follow Nyw once I'm done.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
[20] (Also fate:1)
"Hold on! I know exactly what to do!" Alex says. "We have to stop the bleeding and the best way to do that is a tourniquet!"

He proceeds to tightly tie a tourniquet around the leg stump. This is not so bad. The problem is the one he ties around the gangster's neck to stop the bleeding from the head wound. The gangster turns ashy blue.
[10]
Nyw is a corpse and has been for a while, so his knowledge of anatomy might not be quite perfect; as such he doesn't see anything really wrong with the current arrangement of things. However, out of sheer luck, he remembers that Tourniquets shouldn't be TOO tight and carefully loosens the neck tourniquet a bit. 
[3]
Luckily for them both Nyw is fast enough that he can get the unconscious criminal to the constabulary before the man suffocates. Thus delivered and immediately ministered to by them, it is what is known in the bounty hunting business as "No longer my problem".

The bounty is paid without incident.

As per layered armor...I think we have a rule against it? Hmm. I can't find anything specific in the rules...I'll say that in THIS case, because the rubber suit is insulation not protect, I'll accept it. I just don't want people stacking armor too much.
Ok, then I'll buy a rubber suit. Do let me know should you change your mind.

Depends on the specialty of the diver. There are offensive divers who wade into open combat, though they usually make preparations before hand by enchanting weapons and items and use them up over time, occasionally casting to deal with problems. There are likewise supportive or defensive divers and the like. What you want will depend on the role you intend to take.
Could you tell me about something about the type of stuff an offensive diver would use? Any sort of commonly used enchantments/items, or is every diver unique with what they use?

Finally, could you please give me the price for the following items:
- a standard bore cannon
- mechanism to retract said cannon and have the armor plating slide over it (to protect and hide the weapon)
- swivel mount of sorts for said cannon so that it has some degrees of freedom in aiming
- autoloader
- cost to hook up the cannon to the bore's brain so it can fire the cannon on targets we designate

- standard solid ammo
- armor piercing shells
- high-explosive fragmentation shells

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
Alright.

An offensive diver would basically work to enhance their active offensive capacities and passive defensive capacities in most cases. Ie pimp your weapons out to be as powerful as possible with as much utility as possible while also making yourself very resistant to damage, especially damage you can't actively counter, like damage taken while distracted in a dive. They can also store useful things like stopping blood loss, regrowing flesh, pushing things away, etc for instant activation in items.

Pricing

Hmm let me look at the posted costs and work from there.

20 if manual, 50 if powered
I assume for the cannon right?  If thats the case are we talking like...a simple thing mounted to the gun itself or more like the complex elevator loading systems we see in battle ships?

standard cannon ball...5
AP shell... 15
Frag...15

"Then you shall have what you asked for." Kara said before making a swift bow. She then turned around and got out of there, with a brisk walk at first and a quick sprint once she was out of sight.

Search the literature on what would be the best bore weapon against Antediluvians. If I can't find anything due to stupid humans shouting "heresy" or something silly like that, try to guess. I know they are tough and can keep working with entire parts of them missing, so I need something that can cause massive damage repeatedly and/or in a large area.

Do note that I'm also open to melee weapons. I mean, if simply getting a tougher/deadlier boiler/drill would be better, or f we could add some overcharge/remove limiter mode where the drill eats fuel like crazy but has incredible power/causes massive damage, I'm all for it.

Also search for large personal weapons that could deal with tough targets, like whatever monster could be imprisoned by the Antediluvians. I don't care if it needs time to be set up and only has 5 bullets I just need it to be strong enough to deal with it.

Finally, search the literature on what is the best way to deal with bore-sized things with magical effects/protection. Could we purchase some sort of ammo that is more susceptible to diving that our divers can then modify on the fly to carry an effect that can deal with an enemy's magical nature? Or maybe there is some special bullet? Or are our divers better off attacking such a thing directly?

[16]
The literature doesn't really say anything in regard to fighting them, least not that you can find. Its clear that there are historical encounters and combat but nothing detailing the effective methods. However, judging by the info you found, you think that explosive weapons are probably best. The critters are enormously robust so putting a hole in one probably won't slow it down. But if you blow it apart, it might not kill it but it will at least make it less able to fight back.

Melee against an Antediluvian seems ill advised considering the info you found. They vary in power but that Red one you saw earlier was holding its own in a contest of strength against the bore with one hand. Its probably possible to fight them one on one and win, but its the kind of fight where even one mistake will probably be deadly in a very messy way.

[14]
You can't find a lot...maybe Bore Piercers but the info you can find on these contained creatures is scattered and their forms seem extremely varied. You think that Maybe a custom made long range explosive rifle or recoilless cannon might be best. Alternatively trapping it.

Also, the only historical accounts of these fights you can find generally involve the use of bore weapons, highly destructive diving,  specialized devices to counter the creature's nature, or all three.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: June 13, 2019, 12:35:31 pm »

“Figures.”
Open ye Bottle
What need to make crossbow? (Normal and with automatic drawing)

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 01:11:14 pm by The Lupanian »
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: June 13, 2019, 12:48:00 pm »

Nyw nods upon receiving payment, turning to Alex and clapping one hand heavily on the man's shoulder as he speaks jovially.  "Today is a good day!  A particularly cruel criminal has been captured, justice has been brought about, and nobody has lost their life!  I have you to thank for the last item, my friend, and I am deeply grateful that you were there to compensate for my mistake!"  Nyw takes his hand off Alex, returning his attention to the money.  He counts out 250 fathoms, depositing them in a separate purse--then pushes the heavier bag of coins into Alex's hands.  "Here.  A three-to-one split is perhaps not the most fair, but you deserve a large reward for your heroism!  Not to mention, I have little need for money and often even less understanding of what others require in this era; I trust your economic judgement more than my own.  Now, I must be off, to spend this bounty.  Enjoy your day, Alex!"

With that, the hulking dead man walks off at a brisk pace with a slight spring in his step--a mildly worrying fact, considering his bulk

Nyw gives Alex 750 fathoms, keeping 250, then rushes off to go shopping.  Shopping list will be edited in later.

Stuff Nyw is buying for himself below, using the prices given in the rules doc.  I need to know how many rounds for the guard rifle can be bought with fifteen fathoms; the guard rifle has pierce 2 instead of the ethral rifle's pierce 3, so I assume the shots are cheaper than the ethral rifle's 3f for 7 rounds.  Hell, the rifle's worse than a revolver, which has ammo that costs 2f for 7 shots...

Spoiler: Shopping list (click to show/hide)

After Nyw has gone out and bought all that stuff, he'll be left with 125 fathoms.  He's going to spend it all on helping out the poor, preferably the sort of addicts that were in the flophouse.  I'd specify how he'd spend the money, but that's less entertaining than having him roll for it.  So yeah, Nyw will just figure out how to spend the money, himself.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: June 13, 2019, 04:12:01 pm »

((The current plan was to go explore the Antediluvian ruins. We should probably set a turn limit on when we'll leave for that though so we don't mill about forever, but we also wanna get some bore upgrades in order.))

Depends on the specialty of the diver. There are offensive divers who wade into open combat, though they usually make preparations before hand by enchanting weapons and items and use them up over time, occasionally casting to deal with problems. There are likewise supportive or defensive divers and the like. What you want will depend on the role you intend to take.
Could you now tell me a little bit more about defensive divers?

I assume for the cannon right?  If thats the case are we talking like...a simple thing mounted to the gun itself or more like the complex elevator loading systems we see in battle ships?
For the cannon, yes. Could you give me the price for:
- a simple system that can just store a couple shells and reload after firing, but once those shells are spent we need to load a fresh cartridge ourselves (and if we wanna load another type of shell than the one loaded we'd also need to do it manually)
- a more complex one where we can specify the type of shell to load and which needs no manual input from us

Some more ammo type prices please:
- a smoke shell with a timed fuse, should produce enough smoke to temporarily hide the bore
- incendiary shell that lays down a carpet of fire that keeps burning for a while

((Added new page with bore weapons, added stuff from my turn, feel free to add if I missed anything.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1985 on: June 13, 2019, 04:36:48 pm »

What would be the best way to trap such a creature? Use some sort of harpoon gun? Some sort of pit trap or cage trap? Some sort of sleeping gas? Diving?

And assuming we capture it, could we keep it in the bore's Containment Vault (say, one that costs 300 fathoms)? Would that be enough to contain it? Or would we need to have some way to hold it in place, either with sedatives or diving?

Again, if I can't find any info just guess.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 04:42:28 pm by Parisbre56 »

Hotfire90

« Reply #1986 on: June 13, 2019, 05:13:22 pm »

"I'm glad I could help, and I'll make sure that the money is put to good use." Alex says with a smile, waving goodbye as the Honored Dead walks away.

Get back to the warehouse or wherever most of the team is at.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: June 14, 2019, 06:59:32 am »

((That bounty was a hell of a lot easier than a similarly priced vision quest. So noted for future reference.))

Fine then, Sphere of Flesh. I see how it is. Dive into Tzimzvot instead.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: June 14, 2019, 08:13:34 am »

I'll just head back to the warehouse and punch the walls until the next mission starts.

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1989 on: June 15, 2019, 11:24:51 am »

“Figures.”
Open ye Bottle
What need to make crossbow? (Normal and with automatic drawing)

Inside the bottle is what appears to be a large amount of spider web, all collected into a lose and fluffy wad. Almost like a container of cotton fluff, albeit probably far stickier.

Probably just some structural and a mechanical for a normal one. As per automatic are we talking like...crank to draw or box magazine type, or some sort of repeating crossbow?

Nyw nods upon receiving payment, turning to Alex and clapping one hand heavily on the man's shoulder as he speaks jovially.  "Today is a good day!  A particularly cruel criminal has been captured, justice has been brought about, and nobody has lost their life!  I have you to thank for the last item, my friend, and I am deeply grateful that you were there to compensate for my mistake!"  Nyw takes his hand off Alex, returning his attention to the money.  He counts out 250 fathoms, depositing them in a separate purse--then pushes the heavier bag of coins into Alex's hands.  "Here.  A three-to-one split is perhaps not the most fair, but you deserve a large reward for your heroism!  Not to mention, I have little need for money and often even less understanding of what others require in this era; I trust your economic judgement more than my own.  Now, I must be off, to spend this bounty.  Enjoy your day, Alex!"

With that, the hulking dead man walks off at a brisk pace with a slight spring in his step--a mildly worrying fact, considering his bulk

Nyw gives Alex 750 fathoms, keeping 250, then rushes off to go shopping.  Shopping list will be edited in later.

Stuff Nyw is buying for himself below, using the prices given in the rules doc.  I need to know how many rounds for the guard rifle can be bought with fifteen fathoms; the guard rifle has pierce 2 instead of the ethral rifle's pierce 3, so I assume the shots are cheaper than the ethral rifle's 3f for 7 rounds.  Hell, the rifle's worse than a revolver, which has ammo that costs 2f for 7 shots...

Spoiler: Shopping list (click to show/hide)

After Nyw has gone out and bought all that stuff, he'll be left with 125 fathoms.  He's going to spend it all on helping out the poor, preferably the sort of addicts that were in the flophouse.  I'd specify how he'd spend the money, but that's less entertaining than having him roll for it.  So yeah, Nyw will just figure out how to spend the money, himself.

Ammo for the guard rifle is 10 shots for 2 fathoms.

all the rest looks fine.

[15]
You consider the problem of how best to help the poor for a bit. Hmm. What makes people poor? Lack of money. Why do they lack money? Because they don't have the power to make it or take it! The best use of this money is to enable the poor to make their own! Thus decided you head to the nearest weapon shop and buy up as many cheap iron daggers and shortswords as you can. You then begin distributing them to the poor under the banner of "Making your fortune with your own two hands and a pointy thing".

((The current plan was to go explore the Antediluvian ruins. We should probably set a turn limit on when we'll leave for that though so we don't mill about forever, but we also wanna get some bore upgrades in order.))

Could you now tell me a little bit more about defensive divers?

For the cannon, yes. Could you give me the price for:
- a simple system that can just store a couple shells and reload after firing, but once those shells are spent we need to load a fresh cartridge ourselves (and if we wanna load another type of shell than the one loaded we'd also need to do it manually)
- a more complex one where we can specify the type of shell to load and which needs no manual input from us

Some more ammo type prices please:
- a smoke shell with a timed fuse, should produce enough smoke to temporarily hide the bore
- incendiary shell that lays down a carpet of fire that keeps burning for a while

((Added new page with bore weapons, added stuff from my turn, feel free to add if I missed anything.))

((Thats fine, just putting that out there before everyone gets bored and wanders off))

Defensive divers would generally be lumped in with support divers. Basically you'd be defending your other party members, blocking damage, healing, debuffing enemies, turning the arena in your favor, etc. They generally need more prep and knowledge of the place the fight is going to happen to really draw out their full potential, but with prep they can still be good even in a surprise fight.

The simple, per cannon bolt on mechanism would be like 30 fathoms. A more complex feed system would require bore modifications and be more in the 200-300 fathom range.

5 fathoms
10 fathoms.

What would be the best way to trap such a creature? Use some sort of harpoon gun? Some sort of pit trap or cage trap? Some sort of sleeping gas? Diving?

And assuming we capture it, could we keep it in the bore's Containment Vault (say, one that costs 300 fathoms)? Would that be enough to contain it? Or would we need to have some way to hold it in place, either with sedatives or diving?

Again, if I can't find any info just guess.

[13]
Hmm hard to say. All those ideas are potentially good of course, harpoons and cages and sleeping gas; any or all of them might work...or none of them. The issue is that the thing has utterly unknown biology so you're not sure if it needs to breathe or will be effected by gas or will care about tearing chunks of its own flesh out, or could pass through solid metal or whatever. Regardless of the method chosen, it should probably be a combination of things, just in case some of them aren't effective.

If it fits, yes, that alone would hold it.  Though thats the big question, will it fit. Probably have to do some recon.

"I'm glad I could help, and I'll make sure that the money is put to good use." Alex says with a smile, waving goodbye as the Honored Dead walks away.

Get back to the warehouse or wherever most of the team is at.
Warehouse it is, I suppose, though everyone is pretty scattered.

((That bounty was a hell of a lot easier than a similarly priced vision quest. So noted for future reference.))

Fine then, Sphere of Flesh. I see how it is. Dive into Tzimzvot instead.

((almost like they were just throwing cheap mercs at a problem until one fixed it))
[11]
You pop into existence amid what appears to be a forest of odd fractal metallic trees. You immediately duck to the ground as a deafening bolt of electricity leaps from the branches of one tree to another just above your head.

I'll just head back to the warehouse and punch the walls until the next mission starts.

[11] You give the walls a good beating. That will learn em?

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: June 15, 2019, 11:52:41 am »

Occult roll, do I have any idea what this web stuff does? If not, then leave it alone for now.

Build a crossbow. Despite my temptation, I’m going to just make a normal crossbow with a lever draw. Would it be possible to make it able to shoot bolts and shurikens?

I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: June 15, 2019, 12:06:52 pm »

Stay close to the ground. Scurry Drag my lumpen carcass arond in the forest for a bit, looking for a small tree. One hand high would be good. Basically I want to see if I can pull one liek a weed and stuff it in my hammer space. However, if I find the edge of Lightning Town, do peek out at whatever other elemental region I see.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1992 on: June 16, 2019, 06:56:57 am »

Well, since I didn't get to scout last time we were there and it's unlikely we'll go back there for a third trip, I guess my only choice is to... wing it.

Go to some junkyard/recycling area and see if they'd be willing to let us have a bunch of their junk in return for a fee. I'm thinking if we have enough material we can just make what we need to capture/kill that monster. We currently have chemical, weapon and general workshop, that should be enough for most things, right?

Also, go have a golden pin installed. If I have to choose a body part, then ask for their suggestion and follow it. If they have no suggestion, put it opposite of my palm.

Does the golden pin look anything at all like the golden rocks of the Messenger path? Try licking it before it is installed and then lick the messenger rock. Do they taste similarly?

EDIT: Are the containers in a Containment Vault portable? And are they any good for storing artifacts on their own? If not, how much would it cost to make them so? Because I'm thinking it would be more convenient to take one container each so that we have somewhere to put artifacts in. Plus it would save money.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 01:22:53 pm by Parisbre56 »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1993 on: June 16, 2019, 07:37:32 am »

Kara will approach Clate and tried to get his attention.
"Hi. Nice to see you again. You look... very shiny. I-I mean, very pretty. I think your new look is very nice."
"Um... Would you be willing to come with me to the storage area? I'd like you to take a look at my Crystal Friend. I was thinking maybe there is a way to make it follow me aroun and carry things for me? It was pretty strong and able to move very fast, but it stopped moving after we left the ruins. I was thinking, with your new form, maybe you could... I dunno, tell it to follow me? Or give me a crystal and make it follow the crystal? Or perhaps if you gave me your crystal rod I could just tell it where to go?"

That wasn't the only thing on her mind, but it would be a good excuse to lure Clate somewhere private.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 07:41:23 am by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: June 16, 2019, 08:27:22 am »

Check around the markets, any weapons, items or tools that would roll nerve or that seem occult?

Secondly, could I buy some sort of artifact container box that is suitable for holding artifacts of unknown, ah, temper? If nothing like that is available, how much for a sturdy box with some padding and that can be locked?

How much for a:
smoke bomb
flashbang
connecting Oz' fire Control Brain to our bore for that sweet +1?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 09:18:42 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 231