Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 404949 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: CAWtastrophe
« Reply #1575 on: January 27, 2019, 06:56:39 pm »

It takes 10 units of fuel to take the path up and into the natural caves. You make it relatively quickly and immediately come across a ruin directly to the west of where the path enters the cave. Unlike the one from before, this ruin is right out in the open and visible: Its a door.  It appears to be made out of stone, with stone hinges, and is quite flat and unremarkable except for the fact that it is unimaginably huge. Its maybe 100 times the size of a normal door for humans, though it looks to be about the same in construction. In fact, it is impossibly the same. There's no way something that big should be able to follow the same plans as  a normal door but it does. And its very slightly ajar with light streaming out from inside.  You take a moment to stare at it with your wizard eyes and notice that the entire place is blacked out; must be overwhelmingly supernatural.

Continue to Goldshore? 

"This is mighty suspicious. Not only is the place completely dark to my extended perception, meaning it must have a strong magical connection, it is also the massive door of a ruin somehow both uncharted yet also extremely visible when following to regular path to goldshore. Either all of the people who went before us were blind, were very bad at journal keeping, or none who notice it tend to get out to tell the tale. If it ain't a trap or illusion outright that is.

Are you sure you are lucid enough to go scouting? You just cut up Harm's hand like it was last week's wormsteak. And we're rather undermanned to set up a decent expedition. How about we just continue for now so you and the poor woman that got cut up can rest, we can still check it out on the way back if we want."

I'd say we move on for now.

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1576 on: January 27, 2019, 08:34:54 pm »

This is mighty suspicious. Not only is the place completely dark to my extended perception, meaning it must have a strong magical connection, it is also the massive door of a ruin somehow both uncharted yet also extremely visible when following to regular path to goldshore. Either all of the people who went before us were blind, were very bad at journal keeping, or none who notice it tend to get out to tell the tale. If it ain't a trap or illusion outright that is.
"Or maybe the door only opens once every 1000 years or whenever a messenger appears and this is our only chance to look at what's inside. Besides, I'm not going in, I'm just taking a peek at what's in there."

Are you sure you are lucid enough to go scouting? You just cut up Harm's hand like it was last week's wormsteak.
"Hey! Harm was the one that was trying to cut her hand, I was just helping her!"

And we're rather undermanned to set up a decent expedition.
"Not really. We have more than enough people here. And besides, I'm just going to take a peek."

How about we just continue for now so you and the poor woman that got cut up can rest, we can still check it out on the way back if we want.
"Or we can wait for me to investigate and then decide what to do. I'm completely fine. I am perfectly capable of walking, looking at things and letting you know what's going on on the radio."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #1577 on: January 28, 2019, 05:53:32 pm »

"While I worry about your safety, Kara, I also have the feeling that if we return later and whatever this is isn't here on the way back you'll be forever disappointed for not peeking." Vikkan commented. As much as he wanted to avoid further diving trouble after the whole thing with never having had a hand that he actually once had, the bore driver was conflicted.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: January 29, 2019, 07:26:31 am »

Nyw chuckles lightly before responding "Ahhh.  I understand now, Alex.  Well, I certainly agree that we should investigate what the church knew before sending us in here, to the best of our ability, before handing off the core.  I doubt there is any way we will leave the church with the core without bloodshed, but I see no reason to prevent you from discussing such a thing."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: DIG...
« Reply #1579 on: January 30, 2019, 03:12:01 am »

"Kara, would you mind if I went with you? Would that be helpful?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: DIG
« Reply #1580 on: January 30, 2019, 03:38:54 am »

"While I worry about your safety, Kara, I also have the feeling that if we return later and whatever this is isn't here on the way back you'll be forever disappointed for not peeking." Vikkan commented. As much as he wanted to avoid further diving trouble after the whole thing with never having had a hand that he actually once had, the bore driver was conflicted.
"Hey now, there's no reason to be paranoid all the time. Not everything is out to get us, not everything will kill us the moment we look at it the wrong way. Besides, if I want to become a famous explorer, I need to actually explore. I can't give in to fear and run away every time I encounter something new."

"Kara, would you mind if I went with you? Would that be helpful?"
"Yes! That would be great!" Kara responded a bit too enthusiastically.
She was still terribly afraid of approaching that thing. The only reason she was approaching it in the first place was that her curiosity and desire to explore were strong enough to overpower her cowardice. Actually having someone there with her made her feel a lot better, even though it didn't really change things all that much.
"Just try to stay behind me and let me take the first look. No need to take more risks than necessary."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1581 on: January 30, 2019, 12:36:38 pm »

"Hmm.
That was interesting. Maybe I should have taken that medical class."

Check on Harm's hand. Is it functional now?

Try to follow Kara, if possible.

Spoiler: Wiellste? (click to show/hide)
His hand appears totally functional, though he should probably play it cool and rest a bit. Don't want to pop a stitch.

You follow after Kara.

Sleep it off
Also, if I’m lucid by the time we reach the door, vote for continuing on to Goldshore and hitting the ruin on the way back.

Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
You wake up with one functional, but very sore, hand. You use it to vote for moving on.

Kara breathed a sigh of relief.
"Thanks Wiellste. I was so worried..."
She looked at Harm apologetically.
"Let's... pretend this didn't happen and never speak about it again?"

Mystery door! Must investigate! A small, cautious peek inside wouldn't hurt, right? EDIT: But before I get too close, attach the grappling hook to some rock and then tie it to some rope. Tie the other end to myself. Just in case it tries to suck me in.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
It takes 10 units of fuel to take the path up and into the natural caves. You make it relatively quickly and immediately come across a ruin directly to the west of where the path enters the cave. Unlike the one from before, this ruin is right out in the open and visible: Its a door.  It appears to be made out of stone, with stone hinges, and is quite flat and unremarkable except for the fact that it is unimaginably huge. Its maybe 100 times the size of a normal door for humans, though it looks to be about the same in construction. In fact, it is impossibly the same. There's no way something that big should be able to follow the same plans as  a normal door but it does. And its very slightly ajar with light streaming out from inside.  You take a moment to stare at it with your wizard eyes and notice that the entire place is blacked out; must be overwhelmingly supernatural.

Continue to Goldshore? 

"This is mighty suspicious. Not only is the place completely dark to my extended perception, meaning it must have a strong magical connection, it is also the massive door of a ruin somehow both uncharted yet also extremely visible when following to regular path to goldshore. Either all of the people who went before us were blind, were very bad at journal keeping, or none who notice it tend to get out to tell the tale. If it ain't a trap or illusion outright that is.

Are you sure you are lucid enough to go scouting? You just cut up Harm's hand like it was last week's wormsteak. And we're rather undermanned to set up a decent expedition. How about we just continue for now so you and the poor woman that got cut up can rest, we can still check it out on the way back if we want."

I'd say we move on for now.

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
"Well, that is sure a mysterious-looking door. What do you say?"

Waiting on whether people want to stick their dick into the supernatural (again). Follow the majority and hopes democracy does not turn out to be its own downfall.

The bore moves on before Kara can get out to investigate. She complains and stomps her birdy feet the whole way to Goldshore. She only stops when Adam asks her what she's been doing downstairs this whole time. She responds with "Nothing", "You can't trust Harm, she's high on pain killers!" and "What a silly question. Silly old Adam" interspersed with lots of very false and nervous laughter.

The trip to Goldshore is luckily uneventful and the bore reaches it rather quickly, trundling through caves a while before hand.  The city itself is rather interesting for the massive mechanical works over the magma. Huge piers of what looks like some kind of dark metal jut out into the magma, wreathed in what looks like an aura of mist that is constantly blowing upwards from underneath the structures. No doubt some sort of permanent Diving mechanism to keep the piers cool. Further artiface has been built upon the piers, great cranes and pulleys, dredging crucibles, reenforced piping, filtration systems, its a massive enterprise that stretches like an octopus from the edges of the magma shore out into it with many tentacles.

According to the paperwork, the goods are in the warehouses near the shore.

A shiver runs down Drett's back, vibrating him gently. Why do I feel like someone I know almost ruined someone else's limbs? He quickly shakes off the feeling, however, as he has books to study.
Hm. These books are quite interesting. I would be able to figure out the language given another reference, I feel.

Takes some of the more interesting books, as many as I can carry comfortably. Medicine has priority for me, and anything seemingly occult is next. Other sciences after that.

Drett, Doktormoth
You select a few books out of the lot and store them away. 10 total. Any more and they'd start to weigh you down and be rather awkward.

"Well, I suppose we'll walk the path God has placed before us. Trials and injustices are there to build our sols, or to refine them, as in a black fire. IF we get less than we've 'earned,' that will be a weight of sin for another to bear on their own journey into darkness."

Do a mental health self exam. what lingering effects from my three failed nerve rolls remain? Once I've done that, slowly ascend the square spiral staircase, looking around for interesting loot rooms like the library. Do not get more than two sides of a square ahead of the main group. Stay in visible contact. Watch for trouble. Retreat from trouble.

You think about your mental health, carefully considering the nature of your perception. You think that, if any problems remain, they are inconsequential.

You head up the staircase, looking for interesting rooms. You circle around once and...find yourself back with the group.

"Oh, its one of these." You say, crossing your arms and tapping a foot. "Impossible space is such an annoyance sometimes."

"Yes Nyw, I'm well aware that you're an honored undead, without you surely more of us would've been injured or killed. You do remember that the first guardian we encountered was already dead? I suspect that the Church already sent a previous group and thus knew about the dangers in the vision, and by withholding that information, they were acting maliciously towards us.

Regardless of whether you think that trying to obtain the core for ourselves is corrupt and greedy or not. We should try to find out whether the Church knew about the dangers present in the vision and whether they acted maliciously by withholding that information from us. Even if it turns out that my suspicions were incorrect, it would aid with the upcoming negotiations."

((Was the first guardian dead?  I thought the first one was the grasshopper (?) thing with the moonblade staff, and it was very alive.  If it wasn't dead, I assume this conversation doesn't happen.))

"I disagree.  While it is most certainly possible that the church was fully aware of the danger, and I would be more than happy to bring justice upon them if so, there are entirely reasonable explanations beyond simple malice.  Perhaps, before they obtained the head, another group attempted to plunder its wealth, and failing, then sold it to the church.  Or perhaps they sent in their own clergy, who were martially incapable and only barely defeated the first; thus, they would believe our own group to have little difficulty.  Or perhaps the explanation is entirely beyond my grasp, due to my own severely limited knowledge.  The fact remains that I cannot in good conscience visit punishment upon a group for wrongdoing of which I have no evidence."

Nyw sighs heavily, before continuing.  "Beyond all that, Alexander, your plan is foolish.  This group, corrupt or not, no doubt has capable and fanatical divers, and strong connections to the greater church, while we are tired, drained, and unfamiliar with the building we began our dive within.  Were we to attempt leaving with the head's treasure, we would have to forego payment in fathoms--the priests will doubtless hand the money over only after receiving their goal--and almost certainly we would be forced to fight and kill church divers.  It is unlikely all of us would survive, and even if we did escape without issue, there would likely be a price placed upon all our heads.  A price, mind, which will exceed our danger; the church will be very eager to disproportionately punish anyone who has wronged them to such an extent, lest others begin to see their weaker chapters as easy prey."

"If you wish to gain more from this trip, Alex, and believe the priests to reward us insufficiently, then we should do as was suggested earlier.  Part peaceably, then go over their heads and alert the church's internal authorities to the corruption within this chapter.  It is the safest path, and likely a lucrative one as well.  Perhaps it still will not be commensurate to our hardships, but I for one am not eager to risk others' lives just to ensure fair payment."

Stay with Ashul, argue with Alex, punch anyone who starts to do something extremely foolish, kill any monsters that attack anyone, etc etc.

((The moon blade guardian is actually the 2nd one, we encountered the first one directly after leaving the tunnel.))

"I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I suggested that we should claim the core by force, it would be the most dangerous and frankly most idiotic way to go at it. Getting into trouble with the Church is a terrible idea, and picking a fight with them is an even worse one."

Alex took a deep breath and then continued. "Look, I'm proposing that we should try to claim the core for ourselves, and that we should try to do so by negotiating with the Church using any leverage we can find. But first and foremost we should investigate after we've dealt with the remaining guardians, taking a second more thorough look at the first guardian we encountered will be important to determine whether the Church sent a group before us. Once we're out of the vision, we question them and secure additional payment for the job. Once that is done, we should think about whether we have enough leverage over them to claim the core for ourselves."

Join Nyw in keeping watch.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
You both follow Ashul around, arguing as you go. You barely notice when the staircase loops, too lost in your own discussion.

Flip through my new picture books for a bit, maybe I can descipher some kind of meaning here. If not, at least I get to look at the pretty pictures.
Stick with the team should they move on

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

You flip through the books a bit, trying to understand. [16]

You can't make heads of tails of it, but the pictures are pretty so you sit and look at them, kicking your robot feet back and forth absentmindedly.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: January 30, 2019, 01:00:33 pm »

AsHul, welcome back. I did not expect you to return from that direction. Drett says, waving hello absentmindedly. These books are quite interesting... They would be moreso if I could understand them.

Other than books, is there anything else of interest in this room? Maybe something behind the books or the shelves?

Drett, Doktormoth

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1583 on: January 30, 2019, 05:08:03 pm »

Back home... I didn't expect to come back here so soon. Let's get this over with.

Find a piece of cloth or something I could turn into a hood or similar that could prevent others from recognizing me. Kara would like to avoid bumping into family members or other people who might know her, if possible.

Have I perhaps heard of that warehouse when I was living here? Do I know who runs it? Does it have a bad reputation?

Make my way to the meeting. Try to stay close to cover, preferably in a good vantage point, if it wouldn't make me look too weird.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 02:01:09 am by Parisbre56 »

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: January 30, 2019, 06:55:06 pm »

How recovered am I? Is my hand back up to normal, or am I going to be having difficulty with some things?
Are prosthetic eyes a thing, if so, are they common? Would most people understand the concept?
You know what, I’m gonna cut to the chase and go see how much it would cost to get someone to safely remove one of my eyes. I’m going to want to keep the eye by the way, maybe put it in one of those glass bottles in my inventory.

Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 06:26:26 pm by The Lupanian »
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: January 30, 2019, 07:26:45 pm »

"Thank you, Doctor. I wonder if any of those books focus on the prime denizens of the spheres, or of the particular workings of the Diving process. If oyu find any, or if you find any books of music, please set them aside for me.

Everyone, do not assume that going backward will be the same as going forward. If going forward loops back to the group, going backward could easily scatter us to the Seven Depths. Stay in sight until we've decided how to proceed.

Hmm. If up is not an option, we could try down. I suppose we could tie a rope on one of us and send them down the stairs to see if they reach the bottom , loop around, or disappear. Or we could bypass the stairs and lower the rope to the floor directly."

Examine the sky above. Any hint of a moon up there? Any patterns on the mostly natural floor at the bottom of the shaft? Have a peek in each of the buildings on the loop - anything catch my eye, guardian related, or musical in nature? try not to wander out of sight, if such a thing is even possible.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: January 30, 2019, 10:03:40 pm »

"Interesting. This is your home, Kara?"

Continue to follow Kara like a lost puppy.

Spoiler: Wiellste? (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1587 on: January 31, 2019, 12:59:40 am »

"Y-yes. I mean, no. It was. It used to be. Before I left. I haven't been here in... I'm not sure. Several months, at least. Hasn't changed much, at a glance."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: January 31, 2019, 01:49:13 am »

"Places like this take a long time to change. Bigger structures might take multiple Ethral lifespans to complete. Can make planning troublesome when the architect is long dead by the time the project is complete."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1589 on: January 31, 2019, 02:27:56 pm »

"Hmm. Perhaps." Kara agreed half-heartedly.

She wasn't really all that interested in the architecture of the place, at least not at the moment. Her fear and anxiety sent her mind to much simpler tracks. It wasn't that she was expecting some great evil tower to had sprouted out of the ground or the city to have been rebuilt. It was more of that unreasonable hope that things would had magically become better. Or at least different. That she wasn't returning to the same thing she had run away from.

After a few seconds of silence she continued.
"Perhaps this is that sort of thing that only happens in novels. The hero returns to find nothing is familiar anymore. And even then, they'll often say something to the effect of 'Maybe it isn't this place that's changed, but myself.' Maybe that's the problem. I haven't changed enough."
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 02:30:09 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 231