Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 404952 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: CAWtastrophe
« Reply #1560 on: January 25, 2019, 01:22:24 pm »

Let us worry about getting out of this dream alive, Drett adds to the conversation as he makes his way into the library, then perhaps we can negotiate what our lives are worth while we still have them. I'm down to a single round in my rifle. And we still have ...
 Let's see. There were six. One was dead. The pathway idol. The tree. The dead idol. The hallway. That makes five... One challenge left to clear. Hopefully.

Crawl into bookshelf land carefully. Study the books. Anything tangentially related to medicine that I can tell, at all?

Drett, Doktormoth

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: January 26, 2019, 12:28:31 am »

Nyw just stops and stares down at Alex for several seconds, his face unreabable behind his mask.

"Alexander, you do realize that I am an Honored Dead, yes?  While I do not necessarily oppose theft, if done for a just and deserving purpose, stealing the goal of our employer, after said employer has paid us to retrieve it, and then increased our pay to match the risk we assumed, is blatantly not justice.  It is simple, corrupt, greed.  It is your option to tread that path, Alex, but do not expect to find the Honored Dead traveling alongside you."

Hotfire90

« Reply #1562 on: January 26, 2019, 01:33:24 pm »

"Yes Nyw, I'm well aware that you're an honored undead, without you surely more of us would've been injured or killed. You do remember that the first guardian we encountered was already dead? I suspect that the Church already sent a previous group and thus knew about the dangers in the vision, and by withholding that information, they were acting maliciously towards us.

Regardless of whether you think that trying to obtain the core for ourselves is corrupt and greedy or not. We should try to find out whether the Church knew about the dangers present in the vision and whether they acted maliciously by withholding that information from us. Even if it turns out that my suspicions were incorrect, it would aid with the upcoming negotiations."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: January 26, 2019, 04:27:43 pm »

"The Millipede People created this Vision World to discredit the Church and secretly take control! We're all pawns of the wasps, attempting to lay their eggs in the millipedes. It's all layers!" AsHul rants.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1564 on: January 26, 2019, 04:38:28 pm »

Get the well meaning birb friend off me, then finish applying gauze.
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
[20]
Ah well...at this point its kind of a waste of gauze.  You draw your sword with your good hand, place your other arm on the table and proceed to hack your already injured hand clean off with a single blow.

"There, problem solved!" you say with a smile, admiring the spurting stump before passing out, slamming face first into the table top and crumpling onto the ground.

"Come now, quit struggling. I need to cut it cleanly so that the new one grows properly."

Hope that my single noodly birb arm was not enough to cause too much damage.

Hope that someone can convince me humans don't actually regrow their limbs.

Try once more to heal his arm, using the bonus from the bore's medical room. My luck will turn around eventually. I hope.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
Kara watches the impromptu amputation with not a small amount of distress and then immediately grabs Harm's unconscious body and drags it to the medical room, leaving a blood trail behind.
[13, 18]
Once in the medical room Kara flies (metaphorically) around the room, trying desperately to find a thing to fix this. The best she can manage is to grab a jar of wool balls and jam it over the stump. This probably helps. A little. Maybe.

"Human anatomy is weird. Well, vertebrate anatomy in general."

Assist Kara in general.

Spoiler: Wiellste? (click to show/hide)

Missed me ya big dummy.

"Oh... oh dear. Kara, I don't think that making additional cuts will be helpful. Would you mind if I helped?
Adam! T-there's no need for physical interven-"

Wiellste objects too quietly for Adam to be able to hear her. She decides to get out of the way.
[1]

Wiellste comes in, carrying the hand. She removes the jar of wool, grabs some surgical tools and quickly gets to work. It takes basically the entire trip through the tunnel and halfway through she has to put  her patient down with a jar of ether, but after several hours work the hand has been reattached and the injury on it mended.

"Whew" Wiellste says, settling down to sit against the wall. "No more medical work for either of you."

So you guys wanna drill straight through to goldshore instead of following the path? There's a fault and a river between you and it on a straight line. Wanna just barrel through?  Or you wanna plot a different path?

Can't we start by taking the path (hunter's pass) until we pass the fault and river, and then start digging the rest of the way? If yes, do that.

"Hey, what are you guys WHAT THE CRAP?!"

Try to restrain Kara/get her off of Harm if she doesn't come back to her senses (assuming this happens within earshot, if not then nevermind, nothing I can do).

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

It takes 10 units of fuel to take the path up and into the natural caves. You make it relatively quickly and immediately come across a ruin directly to the west of where the path enters the cave. Unlike the one from before, this ruin is right out in the open and visible: Its a door.  It appears to be made out of stone, with stone hinges, and is quite flat and unremarkable except for the fact that it is unimaginably huge. Its maybe 100 times the size of a normal door for humans, though it looks to be about the same in construction. In fact, it is impossibly the same. There's no way something that big should be able to follow the same plans as  a normal door but it does. And its very slightly ajar with light streaming out from inside.  You take a moment to stare at it with your wizard eyes and notice that the entire place is blacked out; must be overwhelmingly supernatural.

Continue to Goldshore? 

"Well, Nyw," -sniffle- "I'm probably not in a good place to," -sniffle- "be making decisions, what with the" -cough- "strain all this Diving and being sliced, diced, crushed, eaten, and rebuilt has put on me."

AsHul pauses and takes several deep, metallic breaths.
"But this is a local job and does not concern the Church at large - just the local body. I suspect we could, if negotiations fail, present a reasonable case to an arbiter in the Faith. And it wold be easier to gain a hearing if we retain something of value to the local church here.

If an Arbiter of the Faith determined that our contract was made in good faith from both parties and that the local church hadn't deliberately underrepresented the risks or had fairly compensated us, well, that would be that, wouldn't it?
I guess for now we'll just have to wait and see how the local church reacts to our situation."

Continue to foster calmness and resolve. Keep up with the main group, but don't move ahead yet.

Reflect on what AsHul knows of 'minor' relics and 'minor' communions. Is our experience in line with what was presented to us by the church, or does it seem that we're in a higher class of Communion? I know that bad rolls have played a part in the amount of trouble we've experienced, but is that enough to account for the challenges we've faced?

You follow along quietly, eyes drying as you do.
[14]
You're really not sure if this is normal. You've heard things about communions but never anything this intense. Maybe the group just got unlucky? 

"Hmm.  You raise an interesting point, Ashul.  I do still feel hesitant asking a favor of the greater church, after all they have done for us already, but if the local chapter does not compensate us fairly I will not hinder efforts to negotiate with their superiors.  That is, assuming such efforts are not conducted by you, personally; you are in no shape to negotiate, Ashul."

Stay with Ashul, until we reach the jump off point that sprawled Clate and Auft.  Don't enter the room, just stay with Ashul and be ready to disable him if necessary.  He's an emotional wreck of a bomb, right now...

Nyw sticks next to Ashul and watches him with calm compassion but also worry. He waits for him to either cool off or heat up. Either way, he's ready.

"These look rather neat, even though I haven't the faintest clue what's in them."

Grab two or three of these books at random. One's with "pretty" pictures in them get priority

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)
Clate pulls books from the shelf at random, tossing the boring ones away and keeping the first three he finds that have the most pretty pictures.

"Perhaps the threat of calling in an Arbiter might be enough for them to let us leave with the core. If they did act maliciously, then they wouldn't want the church to find out about it."

Continue following.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
Alex hangs around with Nyw and Ashul, rocking back and forth on his heels.

Let us worry about getting out of this dream alive, Drett adds to the conversation as he makes his way into the library, then perhaps we can negotiate what our lives are worth while we still have them. I'm down to a single round in my rifle. And we still have ...
 Let's see. There were six. One was dead. The pathway idol. The tree. The dead idol. The hallway. That makes five... One challenge left to clear. Hopefully.

Crawl into bookshelf land carefully. Study the books. Anything tangentially related to medicine that I can tell, at all?

Drett, Doktormoth
Drett makes it into the room relatively ok, though it seems impossible to make it in gracefully.  He picks himself up and waddles to the bookshelf, picking up the books that have been tossed away and stacking them in a pile.

"Very rude to our papery friends. Very rude" he mumbles before plopping down and spreading one of the books open. [16] The text looks familiar but he can't place it. With a shrug he starts sorting through the books until he finds one that looks medical in nature. Human medicine by the look of it, though rather ancient.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: January 26, 2019, 04:48:58 pm »

A shiver runs down Drett's back, vibrating him gently. Why do I feel like someone I know almost ruined someone else's limbs? He quickly shakes off the feeling, however, as he has books to study.
Hm. These books are quite interesting. I would be able to figure out the language given another reference, I feel.

Takes some of the more interesting books, as many as I can carry comfortably. Medicine has priority for me, and anything seemingly occult is next. Other sciences after that.

Drett, Doktormoth

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: DIG...
« Reply #1566 on: January 26, 2019, 04:50:59 pm »

"Hmm.
That was interesting. Maybe I should have taken that medical class."

Check on Harm's hand. Is it functional now?

Try to follow Kara, if possible.

Spoiler: Wiellste? (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 03:09:26 am by Egan_BW »

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: January 26, 2019, 04:57:10 pm »

Sleep it off
Also, if I’m lucid by the time we reach the door, vote for continuing on to Goldshore and hitting the ruin on the way back.

Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 12:49:25 am by The Lupanian »
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: January 26, 2019, 05:15:09 pm »

"Well, I suppose we'll walk the path God has placed before us. Trials and injustices are there to build our sols, or to refine them, as in a black fire. IF we get less than we've 'earned,' that will be a weight of sin for another to bear on their own journey into darkness."

Do a mental health self exam. what lingering effects from my three failed nerve rolls remain? Once I've done that, slowly ascend the square spiral staircase, looking around for interesting loot rooms like the library. Do not get more than two sides of a square ahead of the main group. Stay in visible contact. Watch for trouble. Retreat from trouble.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1569 on: January 26, 2019, 07:42:54 pm »

Kara breathed a sigh of relief.
"Thanks Wiellste. I was so worried..."
She looked at Harm apologetically.
"Let's... pretend this didn't happen and never speak about it again?"

Mystery door! Must investigate! A small, cautious peek inside wouldn't hurt, right? EDIT: But before I get too close, attach the grappling hook to some rock and then tie it to some rope. Tie the other end to myself. Just in case it tries to suck me in.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 03:40:30 am by Parisbre56 »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #1570 on: January 26, 2019, 11:17:15 pm »

"Well, that is sure a mysterious-looking door. What do you say?"

Waiting on whether people want to stick their dick into the supernatural (again). Follow the majority and hopes democracy does not turn out to be its own downfall.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: DIG...
« Reply #1571 on: January 26, 2019, 11:54:15 pm »

"Um... Not my choice, really. I have faith in your ability to get us out of trouble, if need be."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: January 27, 2019, 05:52:21 am »

"Yes Nyw, I'm well aware that you're an honored undead, without you surely more of us would've been injured or killed. You do remember that the first guardian we encountered was already dead? I suspect that the Church already sent a previous group and thus knew about the dangers in the vision, and by withholding that information, they were acting maliciously towards us.

Regardless of whether you think that trying to obtain the core for ourselves is corrupt and greedy or not. We should try to find out whether the Church knew about the dangers present in the vision and whether they acted maliciously by withholding that information from us. Even if it turns out that my suspicions were incorrect, it would aid with the upcoming negotiations."

((Was the first guardian dead?  I thought the first one was the grasshopper (?) thing with the moonblade staff, and it was very alive.  If it wasn't dead, I assume this conversation doesn't happen.))

"I disagree.  While it is most certainly possible that the church was fully aware of the danger, and I would be more than happy to bring justice upon them if so, there are entirely reasonable explanations beyond simple malice.  Perhaps, before they obtained the head, another group attempted to plunder its wealth, and failing, then sold it to the church.  Or perhaps they sent in their own clergy, who were martially incapable and only barely defeated the first; thus, they would believe our own group to have little difficulty.  Or perhaps the explanation is entirely beyond my grasp, due to my own severely limited knowledge.  The fact remains that I cannot in good conscience visit punishment upon a group for wrongdoing of which I have no evidence."

Nyw sighs heavily, before continuing.  "Beyond all that, Alexander, your plan is foolish.  This group, corrupt or not, no doubt has capable and fanatical divers, and strong connections to the greater church, while we are tired, drained, and unfamiliar with the building we began our dive within.  Were we to attempt leaving with the head's treasure, we would have to forego payment in fathoms--the priests will doubtless hand the money over only after receiving their goal--and almost certainly we would be forced to fight and kill church divers.  It is unlikely all of us would survive, and even if we did escape without issue, there would likely be a price placed upon all our heads.  A price, mind, which will exceed our danger; the church will be very eager to disproportionately punish anyone who has wronged them to such an extent, lest others begin to see their weaker chapters as easy prey."

"If you wish to gain more from this trip, Alex, and believe the priests to reward us insufficiently, then we should do as was suggested earlier.  Part peaceably, then go over their heads and alert the church's internal authorities to the corruption within this chapter.  It is the safest path, and likely a lucrative one as well.  Perhaps it still will not be commensurate to our hardships, but I for one am not eager to risk others' lives just to ensure fair payment."

Stay with Ashul, argue with Alex, punch anyone who starts to do something extremely foolish, kill any monsters that attack anyone, etc etc.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: January 27, 2019, 12:11:25 pm »

Flip through my new picture books for a bit, maybe I can descipher some kind of meaning here. If not, at least I get to look at the pretty pictures.
Stick with the team should they move on

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

Hotfire90

« Reply #1574 on: January 27, 2019, 03:39:17 pm »

((The moon blade guardian is actually the 2nd one, we encountered the first one directly after leaving the tunnel.))

"I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I suggested that we should claim the core by force, it would be the most dangerous and frankly most idiotic way to go at it. Getting into trouble with the Church is a terrible idea, and picking a fight with them is an even worse one."

Alex took a deep breath and then continued. "Look, I'm proposing that we should try to claim the core for ourselves, and that we should try to do so by negotiating with the Church using any leverage we can find. But first and foremost we should investigate after we've dealt with the remaining guardians, taking a second more thorough look at the first guardian we encountered will be important to determine whether the Church sent a group before us. Once we're out of the vision, we question them and secure additional payment for the job. Once that is done, we should think about whether we have enough leverage over them to claim the core for ourselves."

Join Nyw in keeping watch.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 231