Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 403734 times)

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Heresy
« Reply #3195 on: August 29, 2020, 12:16:03 pm »

-snip-
"Oh yeah I'll join up with you guys." Her eyes lighting up at the mention of riches
she tenses up a bit at the mention of Diving "Oh no, I'm a gunslinger by trade, never touched any of that diving nonsense. Just seemed like a lot of sacrifice and risk for little gain."
Spoiler: Birb (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3196 on: August 30, 2020, 07:20:39 am »

A moth stumbles out of some small corner in the bore and calls out.
"Kara? Are you here? I've been sick."
"Wiellste! Are you feeling well? Do you need anything? ... It's not contagious, is it? Or is it an Ethral thing? Were you molting? Do Ethral molt? Does it have the same taboo as being naked does for humans? No, don't tell me, it doesn't matter, as long as you're here and you're okay. I'm just curious. Sorry. Hi!"

"Oh yeah I'll join up with you guys." Her eyes lighting up at the mention of riches
she tenses up a bit at the mention of Diving "Oh no, I'm a gunslinger by trade, never touched any of that diving nonsense. Just seemed like a lot of sacrifice and risk for little gain."
Kara starts raising her arm to touch where her other arm should be before stopping herself.
"Sometimes the sacrifices are worth it."
She continues walking, leading the Corven into the bore.
"But, I agree. Most of the time they're not."
"Anyway, our bore is the Nameless Nomad. Nomad class bore, mostly meant for exploration. The Church confiscated it from a gang called the Iron Teeth (who probably stole it from somewhere else) and gave it to us in exchange for an artifact. It's pretty old, it's seen a good deal of the underworld. We've got an almost complete automap! It's spacious but also quite quick for its size. And we recently got a weapon installed, though we haven't had a chance to test it yet. Poor girl's mechanical brain is a bit too old to handle a weapon so we've set it to manual fire for now."

"Through this door are the workshops. General, chemical and weapon workshop. If you want to build something or maintain and improve your equipment, that's the place to do it. Or you can ask some other crew member to do it, we've got some pretty good Tinkerers. And over there is the medical room. We've got enough supplies and equipment to fix most minor injuries and keep you alive for major ones, but that's it. To fully heal from major injuries we need either a medical center with the proper equipment or diving and neither are easily available. So do be careful."

"Over there you can see our crawler. Good for small trips or for places the bore doesn't fit. We've also got a Bore Piercer mounted on it, for defence."

"This room is the storage area. You can claim a chest and use it to store things you don't want to drag around with you. Some of the chests are claimed, don't mess with those. The rest you can take, but you should let someone know first. If you need an item owned by someone else don't be afraid to ask. Most of our crew don't mind sharing if the reason is good."

Kara reached into a chest and pulled out a radio which she handed to the other Corven.
"All of our crew have radios like this one. They've got pretty good range. And if we need even better range or to communicate with nearby bores there's a large radio up in the control room."

"Speaking of which, I should let the others know you joined up. Some of them are out in the city."

She pressed the button and spoke into the radio.
: Hey everyone! This is Kara. Just letting you know we have a new crew mate. She's a Corven Gunslinger. Let's work well together! That is all. :

"Nyw, our Honored Dead crew member, is out chasing a bounty, you can contact him if you wanna help out."

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: August 30, 2020, 11:38:22 pm »

-snip-
wow great job with that one Swis, amazing first impression "Oh right uh, my name's Swis by the way, and I'm not much for crafting so I guess I'll rely on your Tinkerers for that." she looks fairly uncomfortable about
"well uh, I don't have much of anything to put in a chest, but I'll keep that in mind for later. anyway I'll leave you two time to catchup with eachother" She clicks on her radio "Nyw was it, care if I join you on that bounty?"
and with that she wanders off in his general direction

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: August 30, 2020, 11:40:38 pm »

((I didn’t know everyone had the radios, I’ll add that to my character sheet))
”Hi Swis, I’m Rhea”
She turns to the Ethral
”Are you alright? What happened?”
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 11:43:19 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Re: DIG...
« Reply #3199 on: August 31, 2020, 02:20:07 am »

Wiellste puts her fingertips together nervously.

"I- well, n-no, I guess... I mean, it's not like that. I've just felt... bad. For a long time now, and I felt like I had to hide but that just made things worse. I tried to leave this place behind me, move on with my life, but now I've found myself back here because I couldn't bear- I couldn't just move on, you understand?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3200 on: August 31, 2020, 02:57:32 am »

"... not really? I'm sorry. Is there something I can do? Or... I dunno, wanna go outside and do something?"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: August 31, 2020, 03:01:15 am »

"...That would be nice."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: August 31, 2020, 07:07:06 am »

"...That would be nice."
”What do you want to do? Anything in particular?”

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3203 on: August 31, 2020, 09:36:31 am »

Leveled Up
Dex goes to 14
(yay! now rifle shots are at 70%. Not that I shoot that often, but it's nice to have options)
Cunning goes to 12 (makes sense, considering her past actions. Now I can lie, cheat and steal even better)
Knowledge goes to 13 (translation and archeology at 70%. Archeolobirb is ready to explore ruins and make new friends!)

How many fathoms to fit the Crystal Mover with the life support necessary to allow fleshies to breathe in it and survive in it as it moves through magma?

How much for Diving-enhanced protective suits that would allow us to survive the extreme heat and lack of breathable air we are likely to face in the Molten Heart Crystal People ruins? Do they only work for a limited time? Do they need to recharge oxygen/vent heat periodically? Do they need some sort of umbilical connected to a master life support system? Or do they work all the time? If they work all the time, could we forgo the life support upgrade for the crystal mover completely or would it still be useful as a place where we can eat and sleep and take care of other bodily functions?

Could we lower the cost if we had Clate make the suits out of Crystal and then simply paid someone to enchant them?

If the heat down there really is so bad as to require us to wear diving suits, would we even be able to use equipment that isn't made of crystal? Would our conventional guns and swords catch fire and melt?

Irrelevant, can I just buy an artifact fragment for the price listed in the google doc? Or would I need to find a shady dealer?

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

Depends. Do we want to basically turn the entire interior of the thing into a livable space? Or do we wanna like...basically install a metal pod inside it where people can survive?  Like do we want to turn this thing into a bore of its own or do the bare minimum for survivability? Bare minimum is cheaper of course.

So... lets assume a normal diving suit (ie pressurized, water tight suit) that is then modified via Diving to withstand heat in addition. There are a few options. You can get one with a permanent heat blocking enchantment like the ones that protect bore paths through magma from melting. It's the most expensive because its basically a very high level, focused enchantment.  A lower level version would be one that, rather than just magically ward off heat would instead shift it to something else. This is what is commonly used for temporary passages though magma; they'll link the heat from the suit to something like a tungsten heat sink and until that heat sink reaches the temp of the magma, it will absorb the heat for it. This has its good and bad parts, but will do for short treks. The final one you could do is a purely technological choice of linking a suit to the life support system and running coolant through it. Need an umbilical for that of course, and it will limit your range.

I'm not sure how clate is going to make flexible crystal. Theoretically yes, it would be cheaper though.

That depends on the heat. Lets say its 100 C down there. Thats definitely enough to kill you, but not enough to melt metal. A sword would work  in that heat basically as well as in normal temps. Conventional bullets might cook off, I'm not sure, but they might not.  But if things were 1000 C...well then you have problems.

We'll assume you can just buy one.

Spoiler: Levelup rolls: (click to show/hide)

Nyw has become more dextrous and knowledgable!

Nyw will pursue the missing woman case, by personally going and finding the girl's family or friends.  He'll ask them for information, when she went missing, if she was in any bad relationships, etc.  Meanwhile, Gus and Baxter should ask around more publically; they're not honored dead, so they can ask questions without sending up quite as many warning bells.

[14, 19][3]
Both you and your young wards go off in search of clues. Your attempts to gain information are unfortunately unsuccessful. You talk to the families and friends, reassure them, and generally get some basic info on the girls but nothing that seems to connect them or otherwise give you some clue as to why they were taken. No real physical similarities, no real interconnection between them, nothing to link them other than their routes taking them through that part of town. Though "That part of town" is about 10 blocks so its a hell of a lot of area to cover.  Your wards return with a similar story: nothing specific, just lots of hearsay and rumors, many contradictory. About the best you get is that the kidnappings all seem to happen within a roughly 2-3 hour span in the middle of the night and that the girls did not usually take these routes nor were they generally out this late.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Rest to recover Nerve
Alright.

Lvl me up please! Hopefully the current lack of crap-rolling Ozzes in the game will mean my level-ups go better this time around. :v

Fold the portal up so that the activation rune is broken and the portal is physically closed.

If that's not possible or doesn't deactivate the portal, exit the room and tell them to activate their dive failure protections to undo the dive, or whatever countermeasure they think appropriate to activate.

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

Str: 11 (5, 4, 2)
Dex: 9 (2, 4, 3)
Spe: 7 (1, 1, 5)
End: 14 (5, 3, 6)
Awa: 11 (3, 2, 6)
Cun: 9 (1, 5, 3)
Kno: 9 (4, 4, 1)
Nrv: 14 (3, 5, 6)

So +1 to End.

You fold up the portal. It deactivates. When you open it, it reactivates. Hmm. You fold it back up again.

Since Kara is checking our mission requirements and my gaggle of golems is done, let's gear ourselves up for war.

Attempt to fashion myself two crystal blades. Make them in a form that is compitable for use with my current body.

Also, I still have a skillpoint from the levelup. What are my options for combat skills utilizing my stoneforming? Can I just grab a general combat stoneforming skill?

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)
We can call it "Stonesmithing" for all your melee weapon stoneshaping needs.

[10] You assemble yourself a pair of crystal swords.  They look basically like normal crystals, but flattened so that two of its sharp edges are aligned.  There are no handles, as you can just fuse them to your body.

-snip-
wow great job with that one Swis, amazing first impression "Oh right uh, my name's Swis by the way, and I'm not much for crafting so I guess I'll rely on your Tinkerers for that." she looks fairly uncomfortable about
"well uh, I don't have much of anything to put in a chest, but I'll keep that in mind for later. anyway I'll leave you two time to catchup with eachother" She clicks on her radio "Nyw was it, care if I join you on that bounty?"
and with that she wanders off in his general direction
We'll assume you find and join up with Nyw.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: August 31, 2020, 02:56:17 pm »

So +1 to End.

You fold up the portal. It deactivates. When you open it, it reactivates. Hmm. You fold it back up again.

Huh. Any way of finding out/getting a clue as to where it leads that does not involve sticking my head through and just finding out (and apart from mundane options like doing careful testing and probes and such)?

If I did a new dive to try and fix the error with the destination portal, how many reinforcements of Noth and Xi would be needed?

Could I test out my wizard eyes in the diving vault? If yes, first rest again to let the nerve points restore (if not allowed disregard the test this turn). Buy a set of metal plates with numbers on them (say 1 through 10, how many fathoms per plate?) and try to delete one of them in the middle (hopefully if it works through En'ing them then the gap in the series will tip Adam off). Or maybe just focus on them really hard like and see what happens.   

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 05:32:29 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: September 01, 2020, 02:55:44 pm »

"Anything is fine."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: September 01, 2020, 03:14:07 pm »

I’m not sure of what to do either, maybe we can oook for and buy materials to craft with. Kara, did you have anything in mind when you mentioned going to town?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: September 03, 2020, 06:01:05 am »

Send the two human followers to see if they can't find a criminal contact, someone who might know something about any local slave trade.  Tell them to pose as people looking to buy cheap labor illegally.  Send the golden corven with them, if she's willing to keep an eye on them; M1895, this means you.

As for Nyw, he'll just look around the area that the disappearances happen in, see if he can find anything suspicious.  If the corven sticks with Nyw, I guess she can help look?  I'll post RP later/tomorrow, tired right now.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3208 on: September 03, 2020, 10:10:27 am »

So +1 to End.

Huh. Any way of finding out/getting a clue as to where it leads that does not involve sticking my head through and just finding out (and apart from mundane options like doing careful testing and probes and such)?

If I did a new dive to try and fix the error with the destination portal, how many reinforcements of Noth and Xi would be needed?

Could I test out my wizard eyes in the diving vault? If yes, first rest again to let the nerve points restore (if not allowed disregard the test this turn). Buy a set of metal plates with numbers on them (say 1 through 10, how many fathoms per plate?) and try to delete one of them in the middle (hopefully if it works through En'ing them then the gap in the series will tip Adam off). Or maybe just focus on them really hard like and see what happens.   

Does shoving someone else's head through count?  Other than that, you could dive to summon that knowledge to yourself. Or make a guess using what you know about that dive that created it. Chances are that it goes to someplace related to the spheres you dove, or the spheres themselves.

For safety, I'd say between 5-7.

What you'd see in the diving vault would basically just be nothing since that place is so densely packed with enchantments. You might see a few bits and pieces of things like say, pneumatic spikes or remote demolition charges, but only bits.

Metal plates? Assuming any metal will do and they're not very big, 15 fathoms for the set of 10, or 2 per individual (they give you a bulk discount).  You're gonna have to give me an exact dive here, unless you're wanting to use a black flame...or something else?

Send the two human followers to see if they can't find a criminal contact, someone who might know something about any local slave trade.  Tell them to pose as people looking to buy cheap labor illegally.  Send the golden corven with them, if she's willing to keep an eye on them; M1895, this means you.

As for Nyw, he'll just look around the area that the disappearances happen in, see if he can find anything suspicious.  If the corven sticks with Nyw, I guess she can help look?  I'll post RP later/tomorrow, tired right now.

[5][1]

Both your human friends and yourself have some very good luck this time. Their is a slave trade here, as you'd expect, and it has both legal and illegal components. The legal side is the usual: Slavery for a set period as punishment for crimes. The illegal side, which is smaller but does exist, is essentially handled by many of the same people but instead is done via backroom deals and carries everything from orphans and generally disenfranchised and easily exploited people to specially kidnapped and sold individuals. As it turns out there was a buyer for who had been buying up both young men and women a while back but had stopped suddenly a few months ago. They couldn't get a name, obviously, but they did discover that he was an Ethral, which was quite odd. Both because the Ethral generally did not believe in slavery and because they were few and far between in the human capital.

Beyond this, Nyw discovers something of importance when examining the rough locations of the disappearances. They all took place near an aqueduct. See, the roof of the cave this city is built on leaks water naturally, so there are systems by which this water is captured and then transferred about, being used as needed and any excess that cannot be contained dumped down into the magma below. The aqueducts carry this water around the city and in some places are open air channels, in others closed pipes. Around this part of town, they're all open channels.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3209 on: September 03, 2020, 12:20:36 pm »

Gonna shamelessly advertise this here once.

https://piecewise.itch.io/infinite-kowloon

Here is a ruleset I just published. Did a lot of work on it, its the first one I'm really selling as opposed to giving away. If you like my stuff, you might like this.

That is all.
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 231