Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 403748 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: The Last Fire
« Reply #2370 on: October 30, 2019, 08:22:22 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Attempt a Dive to create an ice elemental that will protect me
From Nehn to Ah to create a new entity, Reinforce Ah 4x, pass through Nehn and Es to get to Telazch and Tzimtzvot to create a biological ostrich with ice elemental powers. Reinforce Telazch and Tzimtzvot 4x, pass through Noth and Jal to get to Gesh to Bind my new creation to protect me, reinforce Gesh 4x

Hotfire90

« Reply #2371 on: October 30, 2019, 08:53:31 am »

Translating intensifies.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: October 30, 2019, 12:21:15 pm »

Other than that, just give up weapons/dangerous stuff and go visit the ruins. I bet this visit would make a fine addition to my diary. And maybe I'll get to find out more about the Gemstone People and the location of their superweapon.[/b]

How exciting, friend Kara. I can already feel the presence of what I assume to be the crystal overmind much stronger here than ever before., Clate writes on his body in Kara's general direction

Also comply with their demands, then follow along with Kara. Observe everything around me in these ruins, see if my stonesense allows me to see/feel anything Kara and the Ethral might miss. Also keep tabs on this presence I feel watching me, if it gets stronger or more connected or what have you.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2373 on: November 01, 2019, 11:46:20 am »

Oz rolled one in the discord. I think you leveled like everything but one stat by it. Dunno, I have no access to discord right now.
Knowing that good-for-nothing shit-for-dice and his rolls when it comes to my levelups, I rather doubt that honestly. :p 

Let me check if I can find it

... Are you kidding me.

OZ YOU BASTARD! Son of a low-class promiscuous mother! It's not even an actual dig levelup! What even is a duglevel?! We DigDug now? This is why I told you not to do this thing you just did. Argh!

Welp, guess I level nothing then. 

The plans he gave you basically only require a knife of any kind in terms of a physical object. From there is a two part spell using physics for a spacial location and summoning for the action. A single location is marked as the endpoint to an incomplete portal  and then the spell is set such that the completion of the portal is triggered via use of the knife in a specific way.  It is quite a simple spell though, judging by the warnings, they often really heavily dump reinforcement into it just to make sure it works over long distances.

So it's one spell consisting of two parts, or two separate dives? Also, how much reinforcement are we talking here?

Secondly, what kind of objects could be sacrificed to help with a dive like this?

Thirdly, does the type of knife used make any difference in terms of portal strength of dive reinforcement needed? Or is a fancy ceremonial knife equally useful as a normal pocket knife? What about the material it is made of?

Fourthly, same question for the object the portal will be linked to. For example, would making the end destination be an empty wooden doorframe make it easier (since the edges of the portal would be nicely defined by the frame)?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

((I'll add 400 fathoms to the fund for future upgrades and your personal purchases. Can someone edit the page?))
((Added 400 fathoms to the team fund on the warehouse page.))

Yeah thats fine.
((38 + 66 = 104 fathoms subtracted from the fund.))
If you want to roll it for yourself, that would be fine.

One with two parts as written, but could easily be split into two dives to make it easier.

Anything related to travel really. Or connections.

Nothing in the recipe implies the knife itself is important; its just a tool on which the dive is centered. You could probably do something similar on an actual door or just about anything else.

That would probably help somewhat: defining the edges I mean. but thats again more related to the nature of the dive. You could map the edges to a crate or a hole in the ground or just about anything.

The Spheres are a harsh mistresses. Alright, Dive time. I am in a place that seems relatively calm and peaceful, correct?
(Mind Summon)
Yengenze -> Xi, reinforce each 4x, total path rolls: 12 (at advantage, I believe).
Final Cunning Roll, Final Nerve roll.
Goal is to learn the Music Theory of Effects - to understand how my music is causing effects and how to create/alter effects via music.

[17,16,19,13,2,14,14,14,11,8,18,20]
That ain't good.
[13,20,18]
Amazing.
-2 nerve.
[12] nerve ok
[15] Cunning barely ok.

The songs produce their effects via creating combinations of vibrations which act as a psudeo-dive, connecting marginally to the spheres and drawing out an effect via this connection.  Creating other effects with vibrations are possible but difficult, requiring precise combinations of vibrations to form a harmonic whole.

Dive: Balarim -> Sige reinforcing both once for 6 dive rolls at advantage, one material roll and one final nerve roll, with the goal of assembling an electrically powered grappling gun using my grappling hook, dynamo, mechanical and electrical parts.
I'm going to try assembling this first, see how my Diving fare's after a long absence. Afterward Ashul I can look for parts. If you want to provide some funding toward the making of your enchanted guitars I'd be grateful, I'm not exactly covered in fathoms.
Spoiler: Ony (click to show/hide)
[8,17,14,14,12,2]
so pass, fail, fail, fail, fail, pass. Not good.
[10,11,11,19]
Better. -1 nerve.
Final nerve [14]
Uh oh.
[14]
Double uh oh.

@piecewise
(Do I recover the lost Nerve?))
Yes.

After emptying his rifle for the fourteenth time over the last hour, Nyw reaches down to reload, only to find his ammo pouch empty.  He searches his inventory for several seconds, before eventually coming to the realization that he's used up every single bullet he has.  He looks back up at the wall he'd been using as target practice, completely covered in bullet holes, most of which are far off the target, then sighs slowly.  Perhaps it's for the best.

Yes, leveling weapons skill like that is allowed.  The section about leveling up is a little vauge, but the description of "weapon skill" is not.

Quote from: Leveling Up
Players also gain 1 skill point. Leveling a skill from 0 to +1 costs one skill point. Leveling from +1 to +2 costs two skill points, and from +2 to +3 costs three skill points. Skill points may be saved as long as the player wishes and applied in bulk whenever they level up.

Skills such as Weapon, Defense, and Vehicle skill automatically level up when a player gets a natural 1 on a roll using that weapon, defense, or vehicle. The first level, from 0 to +1 needs a single crit success, the second needs two, and the third needs three.
Quote from: Skills
Weapon Skill: Unique skill connected to each weapon. Levels up automatically through use or can be leveled normally.

Actual action: Get back into the bore, and wander around idly.  Upon stumbling across two three oh god divers beginning to dive, go stand guard near them quietly.  Be ready to punch them unconscious if one explodes, or reality begins to unwind, or some other dangerous sphere fuckery occurs.

Okie dokie then.

You're standing over Ashul, watching him meaningfully, when you hear a scream and then the new guy comes lurching into the room. He appears to have somehow fused or replaced most of his right arm from the elbow down with a grappling hook gun, the batteries and electronics and mechanisms all embedded in his flesh in a haphazard way. His eyes are throwing off electricity like little tesla coils and his hair is standing straight up, which is quite impressive considering he's a mole.  He opens his mouth and makes a sound that we would identify as a modem dialing noise but that to you is nothing but horrific screeching.

[16][10]
He points his grapple arm at you and fires. The hook clangs off your chest plate without issue and you close the distance as it reels back in.
[16]
You attempt to punch the possessed mole straight in the nose but it narrowly ducks your blow and screeches "THE NUMBER YOU HAVE DIALED IS NOT AVAILABLE!" in a mechanical female tone.

Attempt a Dive to create an ice elemental that will protect me
From Nehn to Ah to create a new entity, Reinforce Ah 4x, pass through Nehn and Es to get to Telazch and Tzimtzvot to create a biological ostrich with ice elemental powers. Reinforce Telazch and Tzimtzvot 4x, pass through Noth and Jal to get to Gesh to Bind my new creation to protect me, reinforce Gesh 4x

1. I'm gonna assume you probably saw the electric mole kick down the door and scream dial up tones, and as such probably delayed that dive.

2. While I'm out of town and without my files, you'll have to tell me exactly how many rolls you need and everything, like Oz does.

Translating intensifies.
[5]
Second book is done. Its on the gutenburg project if you search it.

Other than that, just give up weapons/dangerous stuff and go visit the ruins. I bet this visit would make a fine addition to my diary. And maybe I'll get to find out more about the Gemstone People and the location of their superweapon.[/b]

How exciting, friend Kara. I can already feel the presence of what I assume to be the crystal overmind much stronger here than ever before., Clate writes on his body in Kara's general direction

Also comply with their demands, then follow along with Kara. Observe everything around me in these ruins, see if my stonesense allows me to see/feel anything Kara and the Ethral might miss. Also keep tabs on this presence I feel watching me, if it gets stronger or more connected or what have you.

Yeah, it's the lighter, I was assuming we were talking about that. Go give them the lighter, see if they can use it to figure out anything more about it, any way to capture or kill it or anything else they want to do with it. Or just let them have it in exchange for loads of money/knowledge if they need time to look into it. Or maybe a large amount of that heat absorbing rock the Crystal people make their buildings out of so Clate can use it to shield the bore against heat so we can more easily reach the molten heart.

Other than that, just give up weapons/dangerous stuff and go visit the ruins. I bet this visit would make a fine addition to my diary. And maybe I'll get to find out more about the Gemstone People and the location of their superweapon.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
I've been having some unstable internet, so I'm gonna post this post and then respond to you guys in a second post in just a minute, just to make sure nothing gets lost. One moment.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: DIG: Electric Boogaloo
« Reply #2374 on: November 01, 2019, 12:13:31 pm »

Yeah, it's the lighter, I was assuming we were talking about that. Go give them the lighter, see if they can use it to figure out anything more about it, any way to capture or kill it or anything else they want to do with it. Or just let them have it in exchange for loads of money/knowledge if they need time to look into it. Or maybe a large amount of that heat absorbing rock the Crystal people make their buildings out of so Clate can use it to shield the bore against heat so we can more easily reach the molten heart.

Other than that, just give up weapons/dangerous stuff and go visit the ruins. I bet this visit would make a fine addition to my diary. And maybe I'll get to find out more about the Gemstone People and the location of their superweapon.

As soon as you comply, the director transfers you downstairs, then out a side passage past several guards. From there you pass through several halls, guided by an Ethral guard, through no less than 3 hidden doorways and finally to an elevator buried deep in the stone. You take it down for over an hour, just descending and descending in darkness until finally you reach the lower floor. The elevator itself lets out in a clearly Ethral built room and then, after presenting your credentials again (and thus convincing the two dozen guards pointing rifles at you to not ruin your day) you are lead into the compound proper.

The compound immediately reminds you both of an ant colony; large rooms and sections connected by long circular tunnels and comprised of several stacked levels. Unlike an ant colony, these tunnels and rooms are made of metal and affixed to the wall of a cave. Through the windows of the passages you can look out into the cave itself. The ruin there is much like the one you visited originally, though apparently less functional than the first. It is a volcanic cave, an old magma chamber now mostly empty, though there is a small lake of molten stone on the far end, behind the ruins. The ruins here are of the same design, appearing to straddle the line between constructed and grown; organic yet purposefully made.  Unlike the other ruins these have clearly felt the ravages of time. Unlike the structures of other races  when the cities of the crystal race go to ruin they don't degrade, instead they run wild.  The towers the great needle like towers have erratic growths of new crystal and the lower sections are a tangled maze of interlocking and interwoven stone. The Obsidian plains are covered in smaller structures -likely these were in the other ruins but submerged in the magma- and they too have grown wild, though to an even greater degree. It looks less like the spreading suburbs of a great city and more like a great crystal garden with peeks of purposeful architecture visible here and there.

Clate senses these changes like mold growing on masonry; the crystal growths are not intentional, not part of the whole. They are extra...no...Other. Mindless. Purposeless. The Overmind is here but weak. He can feel it now; struggling to keep the city in its true form, slow its wild growth. It is, in some part, this city. It is, in some part, all crystal of the crystal race.

The moths in their labs, busying themselves with their meticulous experiments on the crystal, offer you a shrewd bargain: That fire in return for any information they can gain about it, including weaknesses. They can tell you want that information more than you want money.

Hotfire90

« Reply #2375 on: November 01, 2019, 01:32:07 pm »

Ignore the dial noises in the distance and instead focus completely on the third book.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: November 02, 2019, 07:03:39 am »

Create and Bind an Ice powered Ostrich:
Tzimzvot (elemental forces) -> Telazch (biology) -> Ah (creation) -> Gesh (Bind Will)
Reinforce each 4x.
Total path: 10   ((Tzimzvot, Telazch, Es, Nehn, Ah, Nehn, Es, Akhmah, Jal, Gesh))
Total reinforce: 16
Total Nerve rolls: 26
Final Material rolls: Strength and Endurance
Final Nerve roll.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: November 02, 2019, 09:51:23 am »

Yotta rolled my lvl-up in the end, see a couple posts down from that one.

One with two parts as written, but could easily be split into two dives to make it easier.
Interesting. And how much reinforcement are we talking here? You can ballpark it if you want, just want to get an idea if something like 5, 15 or 25 reinforcements is what we're going for here.

That would probably help somewhat: defining the edges I mean. but thats again more related to the nature of the dive. You could map the edges to a crate or a hole in the ground or just about anything.
What about something like a doorframe that's made with hinges in the sides so that it can be easily 'folded up' and transported, then quickly 'deployed' when needed? Or something else with this concept, where one could easily transport, deploy and break up the physical destination portal.

Would cutting the possessed arm with a black flame help to dispel whatever entity is possessing the mole? If yes, give one to the honorable undead, then retreat into some cover.

If not, stand well back in cover and, if the possession does not cease, try to shoot the grapple arm with my rifle.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Genet1k

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: November 03, 2019, 08:38:11 am »

Spoiler: Richard Newguy, Human (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2379 on: November 03, 2019, 02:50:39 pm »

"If you want me to treat this as an investment, then you should provide me with better returns."

Demand that on top of any information they are able to extract, we should also get a either a 10% discount or a free item out of any products that are produced as a result of this research.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: November 04, 2019, 05:02:16 pm »

While Kara negotiates for more shinies, Clate will try and concentrate on the connections he's feeling.

First try and see if I can somehow feel the city itself, and if the buildings et al would respond to commands. Also check if I can feel any other crystal creatures/golems, dormant or otherwise.
Then concentrate and attempt to find some connection to whatever is watching me. If unsuccesful, try and feel where in the ruins I could get a better connection to it.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: November 05, 2019, 09:36:08 am »

Yeah.  Grab the crazed diver by the grapple arm and knock him on the head a few times, until he stops fighting back.  DON'T stab/slash/crush/shoot him, or otherwise use strictly lethal methods.  Don't use a black flame, either.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2382 on: November 05, 2019, 11:22:08 am »

Ignore the dial noises in the distance and instead focus completely on the third book.
[6] Another one done!

"If you want me to treat this as an investment, then you should provide me with better returns."

Demand that on top of any information they are able to extract, we should also get a either a 10% discount or a free item out of any products that are produced as a result of this research.

[6] They offer you a 1% royalty instead. It seems like a better deal overall, since it will basically be free money, maybe a lot of it.

While Kara negotiates for more shinies, Clate will try and concentrate on the connections he's feeling.

First try and see if I can somehow feel the city itself, and if the buildings et al would respond to commands. Also check if I can feel any other crystal creatures/golems, dormant or otherwise.
Then concentrate and attempt to find some connection to whatever is watching me. If unsuccesful, try and feel where in the ruins I could get a better connection to it.

[16]
You can feel the city in an abstract, somewhat disconnected way. It is difficult to focus on any part of it specifically and it doesn't seem to follow your commands.
[11]
Its hard, but you think there are other crystal entities out there. Sensing them is quite difficult; the city "muffles" everything badly, but you think there are things out there. Not active though; this city is basically dead in terms of action.
[17][1]
You can't connect but you get a very distinct and strong feeling that the overmind has a "node" within the main structure over there. A sort of dense collection of...whatever it is. That would let you connect to it directly.

Spoiler: Richard Newguy, Human (click to show/hide)
Heya new guy. You can just show up on the bore unannounced or we can have you wander in from the town. Your choice.

Yotta rolled my lvl-up in the end, see a couple posts down from that one.

Interesting. And how much reinforcement are we talking here? You can ballpark it if you want, just want to get an idea if something like 5, 15 or 25 reinforcements is what we're going for here.

What about something like a doorframe that's made with hinges in the sides so that it can be easily 'folded up' and transported, then quickly 'deployed' when needed? Or something else with this concept, where one could easily transport, deploy and break up the physical destination portal.

Would cutting the possessed arm with a black flame help to dispel whatever entity is possessing the mole? If yes, give one to the honorable undead, then retreat into some cover.

If not, stand well back in cover and, if the possession does not cease, try to shoot the grapple arm with my rifle.

Ok.

The "plan" calls for 10 on each. That might be overkill just to make sure it works regardless of distance, but it might also be a comfortable margin of error. When teleporting you might not- ironically- want to cut corners.

Sure, that could work. Heck, you could just take a piece of string tied into a loop and lay it on the ground, forming a circle. The only thing to keep in mind is that the portal's traits are determined when the dive is first done so you'd have to be careful of the facing and shape of the other end when you use it. Imagine the dive creates a flat membrane stretched across your exit point. If that exit point is bent or folded, the membrane will be too. And the entrance portal will simply extrude whatever enters the "entrance membrane" out the exit one in a one to one, direct translation.  Which means if that exit membrane is folded, you're gonna be equally folded when you come out. Which is gonna be fatal. You hope its gonna be fatal. If its not you might just come out as a big horrifying mass of fused flesh. Ask Ashul what thats like.

You toss a black flame to the designated fighter and then retreat. Sy hasn't posted so...we'll wait to see what happens there before I have you start trying to take this into your weak, nerdy hands.

Oh, speak of the devil.

Yeah.  Grab the crazed diver by the grapple arm and knock him on the head a few times, until he stops fighting back.  DON'T stab/slash/crush/shoot him, or otherwise use strictly lethal methods.  Don't use a black flame, either.

[8]
With a sigh Nyw ducks a grappling hook swing and proceeds to bonk the man hard enough to knock him out.

He then turns a meaningful glance on the person starting to dive.

Create and Bind an Ice powered Ostrich:
Tzimzvot (elemental forces) -> Telazch (biology) -> Ah (creation) -> Gesh (Bind Will)
Reinforce each 4x.
Total path: 10   ((Tzimzvot, Telazch, Es, Nehn, Ah, Nehn, Es, Akhmah, Jal, Gesh))
Total reinforce: 16
Total Nerve rolls: 26
Final Material rolls: Strength and Endurance
Final Nerve roll.

Alright, then we start at 15 huh?
down to 14
down to 13
to 12
to 11
to 10
to 9
to 8
to 7

Welp. You actually drop to 0 Nerve. So that last nerve roll clearly fails. Lets try the last two rolls because hey, maybe this can actually get worse!
[16,16]
Oh good.

Koste ceases to exist. She does not fail her dive or somehow become possessed. Her body collapses like a crushed can into a mote of white light and then that white light begins to grow in size, from a pinpoint to a marble to a fist. All the while the interior of the bore is assaulted with winds and shockwaves and blind disgorged force that pounds everyone to the walls and threatens to break them apart. The area around the expanding white point is mutating, growing, dying, becoming and unbecoming. The floor grows iron flowers that catch fire and the fire melts into liquid mercury and the mercury freezes into woodshavings and the wood shavings merge backwards into tiny saplings which send searching roots off at ballistic speeds.  The air shifts and warps, chunks of flesh and metal and fluids and burning magnesium and god knows what else just popping into being from the expanding edge of the orb.

With a wrenching scream the gateway tears further and lashing plasma loops rend metal punch holes through the floor and ceiling. The bore groans beneath the onslaught.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: November 05, 2019, 12:23:38 pm »

Nyw has been carrying two black flames.  Adam just threw a third at him.

Toss all three black flames into the white hole.  If the continual explosion makes it impossible to throw the flame hard enough, grab one in each hand and climb towards the gateway, then manually force the flames into it.

Hotfire90

« Reply #2384 on: November 05, 2019, 12:30:22 pm »

"What's causing all this noise? I'm trying to rea—" Alex stops as he sees a plasma loop punching a hole through the floor.

Evacuate the bore! Take all the books and explosives with me.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 231