Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 85

Author Topic: Omega Revenant: Catch A Falling Star  (Read 155130 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Revenant: They All Fall Down
« Reply #945 on: July 26, 2019, 09:18:48 am »

I'm ok with fighting someone/something.

If I can't find anything to fight, spend some quality time with my new posessions.

go find a sparring arena and challenge something to a spar there
Aight. Ape V Dragon it is.
Both are Large category creatures, but Freddie outmasses Kongor by about three to one, if my memory is roughly correct. If not, he probably outmasses Kongor by more than that.
Both have apprentice body and jounreyman movement, with bonuses in the body and movement stats. Freddie has an advantage in strength and agility, Kongor has an advantage in Dexterity.
They are roughly even in terms of melee fighting ability, but Freddie has advantage at ranged fighting.

Now, two points to note here:
1) In this fight, size will make a significant difference - sheer mass will give Freddie an advantage.
2) should Kongor use Gwen as a weapon, many of the advantages Freddie has will be countered, especially the ranged combat advantage. I would put advantage to the Kongor/Gwen pair at that point.

So, While I could roll it out, let me just say that, over a few rounds of mock battle, Kongor manages to score some points, but Freddie in the end simply wears him down with size and energy, ultimately gaining victory by outlasting his opponent.

If you like I can roll it out, or you guys can post specific battle tactics to take and I'll try to handle that.

Now that I’m in the air, use my position to better examine the surroundings
You are in a canyon. It is tall and rocky. It is fairly wide at the base, but looks narrow due to being taller than it is wide. What else are you looking for?

Approach the heart and examine the room and heart itself. Study and try to gain insight into how it works.
(3) the machinery here is complex and unintuitive. Over time ,you begin to understand at lest that there are intake and output channels - vast tubes carrying energy, liquid, or other substances to and from the heart, which itself is always in a state of stationary motion. There are living thing in the heart chamber, and occasionally you'll spot a swarm of fishthings attack some stray object or creature and devour them, perhaps acting as a sort of immune system for the heart. Additionally, there are mechanical drones that flit, crawl, or drift about, slowly modifying, repairing, or otherwise interfacing with the machinery. Is there some specific part of "how it works" you want explained?

Interesting. Keep digging for texts about 'dredging up information from an object through time', 'repairs or healing done by clockwork mages skilled in keeping the physical order' and 'time manipulation', in no particular order of importance. Try and seek out technical/non-fiction texts that give insight in how each of those are done, rather than myths or legends.
(1)(5)(5) You end up spending some time fruitlessly following what at first looks to be a dtechnical discussion of learning history through objects, but ends up being either technobabble , philosophical nonsense, or the rantings of a madman - an intelligent madman, which makes it all the worse. After that fiasco, you eventually find a couple tomes regarding repairs and healing in the physical order, and a crystal with some kind of persona projecting from it that describes and details time manipulations. Both of these sources are pretty thick with information, so I'm not going to lay out all the things Clunkers reads or hears. do you want a "basic how to fix things with clockwork" and a "basic how to fiddle with time using clockwork"?

basically, healing or repair can be done in a few ways. for example, reading an object in it's functional state, saving that to memory, attaching some totem or focus, and when the object is damaged, rewind teh focus to it's set point or simply overwrite the current state with the previous one. or, you could witness an injury or damage taking place and basically reverse the process by causing the bits to move exactly backward to how the injury took place - like a reversed video or something. The damaging object does not need to be a aprt of that action (i.e. if a sword cuts off an arm, you do not need to reverse the sword to get teh arm back on).

manipulating time is tricky and fiddly and works best in small doses. Time is one of those parts of the universe that have a sort of resistance to change - time tends to flex and stretch back into it's proper place when messed with.
For example, say you locked a planet in stasis for 300 years for some reason. when that time ends, that planet will suddenly experience 300 years all at once - it won't just 'skip' the time in between. Whether this experience is orderly or chaotic is uncertain - that scale of tiem manipulation is yet to be observed by anyone this library has record of.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: July 26, 2019, 09:24:19 am »

I’m just exploring for now. Enter the canyon and try to find a river, follow it to wherever it ends, then look around the water body for any buildings

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: July 26, 2019, 12:41:03 pm »

How is the heart connected to the diffrent members of Omega legion and to the brands, see how one can interact with the brands and the strands that connect them (referring to the strands described when vlad first became undead

If people are in a rush towards the next mission then I think it's time to quicken the pace, to absorb some energy from the heart to keep Vlad up and running for a long while (say a few decades) and perhaps one of the creatures that repair it if it gets close but otherwise time to snip the strings that bind all the prisoners and the brands to it and release them from the confines of Omega.

It is time to shut down the heart.

"Might be rushing things a bit here, but for all the damage, for all the harm this organization has done. For enslaving me and consuming all I was to be turned into another abominable tool for spreading the tyranny and corruption of the Queen, consuming entire planes and planets for the grinding advance for the omega legion. I tear it down and release us all from the service of the omega legion! Let us be free!

I think if I survive the upcoming events I'll make a trip home and say hello."
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 08:56:00 pm by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: July 26, 2019, 07:52:06 pm »

I wouldn't mind seeing it rolled out.  Tactics would be, if Kongor's alone, to slam into him and try to get a foot on top of him.

If they're together, try to make a pass at max speed with an attempt to flame them followed by an attempt to pick them up.

Also, is there any advantage to Freddie's antimagic scales, given that both opponents have chosen to make their magic affinities their own bodies, and are attacking with natural weapon attacks, ie, their own bodies?  It seems like the armour should help against a magic-infused natural weapon attack.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 07:53:50 pm by Devastator »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: July 26, 2019, 08:20:28 pm »

Um, Dev, do you not understand how affinities work? having something be your affinity doesn't make any time you use it automatically magical. it means that when you do magic things it tends to work best when relating to your affinity. neither of us are actively using magic, so our affinities don't matter.

having said that, i CAN see an argument that Gwyn qualifies as a magical weapon, despite her not actively performing magic nor making magic-enhanced attacks at this time, so I can see why you might ask the question of the antimagic scales relating to her, though I still think they won't apply.

No way it'll affect Kongor beyond if he uses his lightning gloves tho.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: July 26, 2019, 11:13:49 pm »

Well.. not performing magic except for the shapeshifting, the producing of ammunition, and magically firing it.

It'd be like saying that someone casting a fire spell or a lightning spell isn't using magic, because the magic is only used to generate the effect.. sure, it's fire, and it's lightning, but the magic is only used in the making of it.  Or, say, a magic tornado is no longer magic, it's just wind.

As for affinity, I'll make a rephrasing of it.

Lets say I took 'Dragon' as my affinity.  Then, when I get a spell, I call it 'Dragon Fire' or 'Dragon Lightning' or 'Dragon Strength' or something, and then claim that since those are all 'dragon' magic, I would get a bonus to each of them.

That's the problem.  Affinities are to show at a glance what sorts of magic a character is strong at or weak at.  Affinities for stuff like 'dragon' or 'magical weapon' or 'physical' don't mean anything, and can be said to apply or not apply to most anything.  It wouldn't be too hard to translate Kongor's one to something like 'Force' and interpret it in a clear way, but I don't see a clear way of interpreting Gwyn's affinity, particularly if I'm looking for something she'd be poor at magically.

Buff spells?  Magic weapon, buffing myself counts as magic weapon magic for the magic weapon magic boost.  Debuff spells?  I'm a magic weapon, debuffing the enemy is something I can make into a magical shell and fire out of myself, and get the magic weapon boost.  Attack magic?  Magic weapon, of course this attack magic counts as something for my magic weapon affinity.  Time magic?  Just put it in a shell and it qualifies for the boost.  And when avoiding magical defenses?  Well, the attacks don't count as magical when it would be harmful for them to be so.  After all, firing a shell not casting a spell.

I mean, sure, there's defense magic, but Gwynn's got a wielder to take hits like that..

You have a very powerful character with a lot of advantageous traits.  You have a storyline reason to always be carried around by someone else to take hits for you, but you don't have to be carried around and are capable of moving with your own power.  You have both natural melee and natural ranged attacks, and very powerful ones.  You also get bonuses dependant on your wielder, and no drawbacks should your wielder be unskilled.  Your attacks count as magic (while still using natural ranged and or melee) when you want, and not magic when you don't want them to.  You also get to change your affinity with a specialization slot, although you gave it a different name.

I'd like to see the worst-defined ability being removed for balance purposes, your magic weapon attunement.  In return I don't see why you shouldn't get one that gives you most of those benefits back, such as a steel attunement, as long as it can be well understood and can't be parsed as applying to nearly everything you do with magic.  You'd still get the buffing bonus, for instance, but you'd lose that bonus should you change your attunement later, and there might be a weakness to rusting or acid attacks.

I would also like to see Kongor choose something more clear, but I think I can jive physical magic as being like force effects.  The equivalent of Gwyn's for Kongor would be taking an affinity of something like Ape.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: July 27, 2019, 12:14:53 am »

Dev, I don't see anything on-topic in that rant. All it is is your classical behavior of raging at me for having a character in a game at all. As a result, I'm not going to bother reading it. Try again and stay on topic please.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

SuperDino85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: July 27, 2019, 06:53:59 am »

Whoa

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: July 27, 2019, 06:55:27 am »

Dev, I don't see anything on-topic in that rant. All it is is your classical behavior of raging at me for having a character in a game at all. As a result, I'm not going to bother reading it. Try again and stay on topic please.
I read it, he’s saying that your character’s magical weapon attunement is vague, and that he wants it changed to Steel, so you would have some weaknesses

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: July 27, 2019, 08:12:47 am »

So he's trying to backseat GM and is upset that he doesn't understand my character's affinity well.

Frankly, I don't have the best understanding of the phrasing used for it either. The way Gwyn's affinity was set to that was I described the concept I was after and Oz suggested what to put there. As a result, I'm completely unconcerned. The GM is the one who needs that the most, and characters cant see their own sheet so it won't affect Gwyn's behavior any. If I need a better understanding Gwyn can ask about it ingame when it comes up.

What I'm not okay with is Dev demanding arbitrary character redesigns of other people's characters simply because he doesn't understand how affinities work.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: July 27, 2019, 08:17:18 am »

So he's trying to backseat GM and is upset that he doesn't understand my character's affinity well.

Frankly, I don't have the best understanding of the phrasing used for it either. The way Gwyn's affinity was set to that was I described the concept I was after and Oz suggested what to put there. As a result, I'm completely unconcerned. The GM is the one who needs that the most, and characters cant see their own sheet so it won't affect Gwyn's behavior any. If I need a better understanding Gwyn can ask about it ingame when it comes up.

What I'm not okay with is Dev demanding arbitrary character redesigns of other people's characters simply because he doesn't understand how affinities work.
Ok. This makes sense, something like that should only be discussed with the GM. I got confused thinking that the person saying this was the GM since non GM shouldn’t worry about such things

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: July 29, 2019, 03:02:46 pm »

Don't worry guys, I'll make thing all right soon enough
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: July 30, 2019, 06:26:32 am »

gonna be busy for the next week, so I probably won't post til next tuesday. might post wednesday or thursday this week though. After that, I have a mission in mind for you. I think you'll like it.

please PM me if you have a real dispute about how another character is handled. It's my responsibility to keep the game engaging, open, and fun for every player and for myself. I fail that responsibility a lot, but we somehow have managed to have a good time for a while anyway, right?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: July 30, 2019, 07:30:36 pm »

I'm not going to bother reading it.

Good to know.  Here's a summary for everyone else:

I think Gwyn's ranged attack should count as magical for several reasons.  (While still being a natural weapon, just magical for purposes of resistance.)

1.  It involves shapeshifting and creating objects to fire at the enemy through magic.

2.  Many other magical attacks involve creating physical things, such as wind attacks, fireballs, lightning bolts, etc.  All physical things made with magic.

3.  Gwyn has a magical affinity related to doing such things.

Also since the affinity was required by the GM in order to have the above abilities, it strongly implies they're magical in nature.

As for why me in particular, it's because my character has the same ability.  A ranged natural weapon that has to deal with magical resistance.  It's also based on summoning something inside my character and expelling it out into the world.  If such things are not subject to magic resistance, it's quite relevant.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: July 30, 2019, 08:08:23 pm »

Dev, please, justify how you have authority over my character in any way? why you should be arbitrator of what my character is and does, and basically in what madcap world you get to, as another player, dictate to me that my character is to be redesigned?

seriously, before this discussion gets to go further you need to justify why you shouldn't be thrown out the door.

edit: actually, I should just step out of this competely. Oz made it clear this kind of discussion should be with him via PMs literally in the post before Dev's. My apologies, I'll leave it to him.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 08:11:53 pm by Lenglon »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 85