Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Restoring old Fort, Ghosts?  (Read 809 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Restoring old Fort, Ghosts?
« on: June 13, 2018, 05:42:07 am »

Do you have to deal wth ghosts when restoring an old fort? seems like a pain if you have to make a slab for all 100 dwarves that got slaughtered in whatever hell on earth wiped them out.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Restoring old Fort, Ghosts?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 10:38:56 am »

All night without a single response?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 11:26:30 am »

I've had a few ghosts show up, but not 100% of the dwarves who were previously present. I guess you could go slab everyone, but I just waited and busted them once they started their whole haunting routine.

DoktaYut

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:OCEAN_DEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 03:00:14 pm »

I'm pretty sure there's either a cap or some other variable limiting ghost numbers, I seldom see anything beyond the first and I haven't seen any cases where people deliberately trying to get ghosts managed to get every last dead dwarf to rise and haunt, the rate just seems to slow down tremendously once they actually start showing up.

I'd suggest making all the slabs, but only engraving as they pop up. Probably make a slab stockpile behind a dedicated Craftsdwarf workshop so it happens quick.
This is a Bay 12 Forum Post. Written on the item is a signature entitled Thoughts on Signatures, authored by Dokta Yut. It concerns the elaboration, selection and display of forum signatures. The writing is very concise, yet it has a touch of humor. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 12:08:43 pm »

I played a no burial fort for about 50 years. As far as I could tell there's a less than 10% chance a dwarf becomes a ghost, and even if they do the particularly bad ghosts are super rare.
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."