Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: GridLand Survival 3: An Adventure in Trial and Error.  (Read 12571 times)

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GridLand Survival 3: An Adventure in Trial and Error.
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2018, 08:12:27 pm »

I think the map has a certain charm to it actually. I'll admit that the cliffs are a bit hard to interpret as being cliffs though, but we have a description spoiler to help with that.

I am guessing that we should only have one actual "Action Post" in each turn, but should we have a limit for non-action posts (Which would be mostly planning etc)
I think that besides meta discussion. All planning should be role played in either actual speach or telepathic speech. I think a limit of 13 posts per character per turn sounds good. What do you think about these ideas?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2018, 08:20:04 pm »

Any limits should be optimized for GM convenience. My personal recommendation would be: only one post per turn may contain bold text, and the bold text post should contain all actual actions for the turn so that the GM does not need to hunt for all the pieces of an action, but any amount of conversation posts can be made so long as they are productive to the actual game. 13 is plenty in all but the most intense situations.

Edit: Also, for some reason I decided to redraw the map in traditional SNERDish fashion. Needless to say that this map is non-canonical and the actual map is better for the purpose of planning actions.
Spoiler: Non canonical map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:34:20 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2018, 07:12:31 am »

The map layout is... different, to say the least.

In the original Gridland Survival and my short lived copies of it, the starting map was of a large tree at F6, a river at E-G7, mountains at E-G5. a forest at G6, and a desert at G7.
it's over

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2018, 08:43:19 am »

This may take a while to work through.

Question, is excitable a variable bonus? And I guess most people can only move 12 per turn.

Also, does my glide allow me to cross the river?

Spoiler: Star (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 08:55:53 am by TricMagic »

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2018, 09:04:36 am »

This may take a while to work through.

Question, is excitable a variable bonus? And I guess most people can only move 1 per turn.

Also, does my glide allow me to cross the river?
If by variable, you mean you can choose whether to apply a bonus of one to movement or to labor then yes.
Most players can move 2 per turn. You can move 3 or have an increased yield for certain types of work. Such as gathering, farming, foraging, or mining.

If you climb a tree first, you can use glide to cross the river but it will cost an extra move point to do so.

Yes you get to chose one or the other  each turn.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2018, 09:11:07 am »

"Ooh Flowers!~"

Action Location: F-6

Smart Action: Study Flowers

Research Action: Flowers (Medicinal properties)

Excitable: Labor Boost
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 09:12:46 am by TricMagic »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2018, 01:00:16 pm »

Caelum groggily gets up
#// I will go explore and kill things.
With that he explores d6 and looks for anything edible.
He also uses his free research to study his cybernetic body.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 01:53:42 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2018, 01:22:45 pm »

#//"That isn't the best way to put it you know. And stay close to the landing site, kay?"

#//"Oh, and while you're out, could you bring back some food!? I would like something hot~"

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2018, 05:45:17 pm »

GridLand Survival 3: Year 1, Turn 2(Spring)

#Tip#
You can gather a particular item for increased yeilds of that item at the expense of other items.
Note if the same resource is gathered too often in too short a time span it may be become temporarily unavailable.
However, Some resources may be ungatherable based on the season or recent events.
#Tip 2#
Completed research provides no bonus until the turn after it is finished. So foraging Techniques will help next turn not this turn.   

Dr. Diablito(Zazmio) and Bernard(Supernerd):
You forage in G6. You find many small red berries(5) that you believe are edible but would have to taste to know for sure.
You also gather two of the balls of thorns that blow in the wind. You also find some nettles(3) which you collect.
You also find some grass seed of two diffent types (4 of each type) They might be edible. You gather 5 small, many petalled yellow flowers. Dr.Diablo suffers 1 damage from collecting nettles.

On the Research, You successfully Research foraging techniques. Yeah.     

Texcoco(Maximum Spin):
You move to E6. Then You begin to hunt. You see many fast small green fluffy creatures that always run away from you. You were unable to catch any. You also find some mid-sixed unknown tracks that head to the north-west. You also see some yellow spotted birds.
You manage to find a nest full of bird eggs when you tried to sneek up on a bird. You also managed to grab and snap the neck of the bird. This resulted in a total of 2 food worth of egg and 1 of uncooked bird.
This was a rather more than you expected considering you did not find any slower animals and you were hunting without any tools.

On the more mystical side, In the course of your hunt you noticed there was an abundance of tree and grass sprites. You saw a smaller amount of water, earth, and fungi sprites.
You even saw one full-blown tree spirit you could attempt to communicate to, Or hunt if you were willing to risk hurting the land. 
You could learn more through research related to sprites and spirits.You could also learn more activating your shamanistic ability in conjunction with a gather, explore, or research action.

On the Research side you begin work on researching alchemical processes. You learn that better containers(clay or stone or glass or metal or other material.) are needed to preform most alchemical experiments. You think that alchemical reactions might effect sprites in an area. You could preform an experiment to test this if you wish. (Note: If you describe how you want to run an experiment to test an idea or see what happens. Then the better you do so the more likely your experiment will find meaningful or useful results.)

Jaynie Morgan(0cra_tr0per):You remain in F6.
You forage around the pod because you think trying to forge the pod would be diffucult without better tools.
You gather 1 red flowers.You gather 2 small, many pettaled yellow flowers. You gather three types of grass seed(1 of each type) You also gather 3 red flower roots.

You begin research on farming and produce 5 Science points.

Star(TricMagic):You remain in F6.
You study the flowers in F6. There are two types of flowers currently blooming.

The larger ones are red and four-petalled. These red flowers have tiny, thin, and long  black seeds on the more developed plants.
All of the red flowers have exactly three Stamen. In the center of the less deveolped red flowers is one large yellow Gynoecium.
Each plant has only one flower which proturudes from large broad based leaves which narrow to a slightly pointy tip. The leaves have smooth edges.
You taste some of the black seeds they have no adverse effect, but are increadibly hard. They also are also diffucult to seperate them from the flower so they would be time consuming to gather. They do however cause constipation.
You eat some of the red petals later and they taste good and sweet, but quickly induce nausia and you throw them up. But there are no harmful long term effects.
When you take the stem apart it releases a sticky substance which smells bad so you decide not to eat the stems.
The roots of the red flower. are diifucult to pull up, you think they would be to hard to eat without some preperation but the have fairly large roots for such a small plant.
Some of the roots were partially rotted from some kind of yellow fungus.
There are likely things still hidden in this plant but it's effects may be difficult to discover.

The smaller ones are yellow and many petalled. They are actually florettes which means each flowerhead conatins many flowers. Most plants have one florette, but some have multiple stalks.
All stalks end in florettes. The outer petals droop to the side, but the petals of the flowers in the center of the florette all point upward. Not all of the flowers have Stamen.
The ones that do have very small ones. You think that you would need better tools to find the Gynoecium because they were diffucult to find.
These plants have many mid-sized, narrow, jagged, leaves that spread out from the base. It is easy to pull up but has many roots which are thin, long and fan outwards.
You eat some of the petals and they taste good. They have no negative side effects but you find them slightly calming.
You also taste some of the leaves they are bitter but filling. No negative side effects.
The roots are suprisingly easy to eat, but they are not verry filling.
The stems are bitter and have a sticky supstance inside it smells and tastes somewhat sweet as well.
In a pinch you could eat any part of the yellow flower, for a somewhat filling meal.
However you might be able to find some beneficial or medicinal effects if you process it with tools or try to form an extract or salve from it.
If you propose an experiment you might be able to learn more about this plant.

In your research, You make 5 research points towards The Medicinal Propeties of flowers.
Caelum(dgr11897):
You move and begin to explore D6. In, D6 you see a waterfall which feeds the river. There is a pond at the bottom of the waterfall. The pond has a small wooden mound in it.
It is also dammed up by a wooden structure. There seems to be an entrance to cave near the waterfall. further down after the dam the river is calmer.
It might be possible to cross here but it would be a risk. You think it would be diffucult to carry anything across safely. Trees also continue up to the river.
There are also quite a few tree trunks. You see that there is some grass that grows by the water and gather 1 water grass. You also see some mushrooms but don't pick them as you  worry they might be dangerous.
You have almiost explored this area well enough to guide another player. The next time you pass through you will naturaly gain that level of familiarity for the region.
However if you continued with a dedicated exploration effort you could reveal much more about this tile.

Your research produces 5 research points in Cybernetics.
Spoiler: Science (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Places (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character List (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Communal Inventory (click to show/hide)
Total Food Consumption per turn=8.5
7-10 turns until starvation.(dependent on what gathered materials are edible.)

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2018, 06:39:47 pm »

Jaynie Morgan
Main action: Forage F6 and try to find edible plants.
Free research: Farming (2 science used), The Medicinal Properties of Flowers (1 science used) Writing (2 science used)

I want to get farming for a sustainable food source just in case we overforage and/or hunt, the medicinal properties of flowers for medical research, which will help with dealing with the aftermath of !!FUN!! and also for prostheses research in the future when we, for whatever unfortunate reason, lose limbs, and finally, writing, so we can archive research concepts for later.

Also, Caelum, I don't think cybernetics research without some knowledge of modern prostheses, anatomy, motors, and neural signals will result in anything more than a peg leg/hook hand.

((For the record, researching multiple things WAS possible in GS1 but none of the players cared enough to split research among multiple subjects.))
it's over

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2018, 06:40:37 pm »

"He heh, these are a good food source for me."

#//Everyone! These yellow flowers are entirely edible! They don't fill you much, but enough of them can keep you fed.

#//Oh, don't eat the petals though! I want to perform an experiment with them.

Action Location: F-6

Gather alot of the Yellow Flowers and a few of the red ones as I head back to base with them.

Experiment: [Sleep] Eat a bunch of the Yellow Petals, Keeping track of how many I can safely eat in 15 minute intervals.
On the Plus side, I shouldn't need to eat for a bit.

Research: Flowers(Medicinal properties)

Excitable: Labor Boost
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 07:52:03 pm by TricMagic »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2018, 06:44:44 pm »

#//Janie, I've got the scoop if you want to know about the flowers!~

Star relays what she has learned to Janie.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 06:47:38 pm by TricMagic »

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2018, 06:48:50 pm »

#//Janie, I've got the scoop if you want to know about the flowers!~

Star relays what see has learned to Janie.

I thought my username was bad enough, but misspelling my character's name twice in a row? Cmon.

With that microrant out of the way,

#//Sure! I'd like to know about the properties of the local wildlife and foliage.
it's over

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2018, 06:54:43 pm »

#//Well, the Red Flowers are a bit icky. And some of them have this yellow fungus eating at them. The flower might be useful for flushing out sickness though..

#//The Yellow ones are overall rather sweet. The petals seem to be calming. I'm going to see if they can put me to sleep. The rest of it is good for meals if we need to. I wonder what other secrets these pretty flowers hide~

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2018, 07:54:19 pm »

I thought my username was bad enough, but misspelling my character's name twice in a row? Cmon.

With that microrant out of the way,

#//Sure! I'd like to know about the properties of the local wildlife and foliage.

I checked your application and I don't see any misspelling of your character name. As long as Jaynie Morgan is the correct spelling.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13