Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: GridLand Survival 3: An Adventure in Trial and Error.  (Read 12552 times)

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GridLand Survival 3: An Adventure in Trial and Error.
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2018, 09:14:25 am »

High tyrol, just out of curiosity... If you were to rank the difficulty of my original game what would it be?

Between Hard and punishing difficulty. However, Your players didn’t use their abilities without a lot of pestering and they didn’t cooperate. So the difficulty ended up being magnified by player incompetence.
When you
You handled it well. It ended up being funny to read particularly when you expanded the pit trap. I think that might have been payback for the player who walzed around the wilderness unarmed and tried to hunt.
Most of your punishments for the players (except starvation) did not really set them back very much. The only thing that came close to killing anyone was directly caused by players repeatedly ignoring your warnings. However, You did tend to insult your players a lot and seemed to try to scare them a lot. It was fun to read.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2018, 02:53:23 pm »

I guess that's a fair analysis.
I can probably Elite difficulty by simply listening to warnings
I can probably handle Malicious if my allies ALSO listen to warnings
I can probably handle 1st Circle if my allies ALSO listen to me and co-ordinate their actions.
And I might be able to handle !!The Lake of!! if I metagame a bit more than I usually like to do.

I think maybe it was a mistake to add so many tiers of difficulty. More importantly though, when is the game starting?

Also, I went ahead and alphabetized the trait list for you.

Spoiler: Character Abilities (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:35:49 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2018, 04:28:41 pm »

I guess that's a fair analysis.
I can probably Elite difficulty by simply listening to warnings
I can probably handle Malicious if my allies ALSO listen to warnings
I can probably handle 1st Circle if my allies ALSO listen to me and co-ordinate their actions.
And I might be able to handle !!The Lake of!! if I metagame a bit more than I usually like to do.

I think maybe it was a mistake to add so many tiers of difficulty. More importantly though, when is the game starting?

Thank you for this you saved me a bit of time here. I think I agree with you about the difficulty. I think I will eliminate The top two diffuculties and do a re-vote for difficulty. I will close the vote when I start the game. My original plan was to already have the game start several days ago, but I was having problems finishing the abilities list. So It think I should release it  tomorrow.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2018, 04:42:09 pm »

Most of us will vote for !!FUN!! again, I'm sure.  This is the Bay12 forum, after all.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2018, 05:05:26 pm »

I might recommend starting at a default difficulty level that conveniently doesn't have a label beyond "Default", and letting people vote to increase it at any time with no upper limit on how hard it can be. This way people will tend towards the difficulty they can handle without being enthralled by an "ooh shiny this one is called !!FUN!!" option.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2018, 05:46:25 pm »

I can see the first post being updated with new abilities. I think I went a bit overboard, because the stat increases on my abilities are so high that, if a character had those stats in my game, they could hunt a Yider Alone with no weapons and reasonably expect to WIN. (Provided they had enough food stockpiled already)

Edit:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 06:34:04 pm by Supernerd »

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2018, 06:44:17 pm »

So this monstrosity known as Berard takes 8 (Not even counting Durable) less damage from all sources and has an additional effect that can gives resistance to or nullifies certain other damaging effects. What kind of horrors will we be up against in this game?

!!FUN!!
it's over

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2018, 07:06:32 pm »

GridLand Survival 3: Year 1, Turn 1(Spring)

A long time ago,
on a planet far away,
your ancestors lived and died.
Until...
A black orb appeared in the sky and blotted out the sun.
The Sprites and plants died without the suns light, only the demons remained.
The people could not survive without the sun or the sprites.
But,
The People were rescued by deer in metal birds
that grabbed The People and swept them into the sky.
Inside there were vast gardens, It was always twilight, and the stars were always to the east.
You were all born in these gardens. Gardens abounding with strange spirits.
Your parents died there.Now, you are leaving this garden.
The deer have dropped you into a valley.
They placed you into an orb
and you fell from the sky.
This place has a sun.
At night you can see that it has 4 moons.
Fortunately sprites abound here.
As you arose from the ball,
even those without the sight can see some of the sprites.
It is obvius this land will be bountiful, but dangerous.
There are red flowers around the pod and the grass is more vibrant than you have ever seen.
There are gigantic trees to the west and a massive cliff to the north.
The cliffs are grey with red and brown splotches.
To east are bushes, sandy soil, and balls of throns which blow in the wind.
To the south is a rushing river, with many rocks.
You worry that it might dash you to pieces if you tried to cross it.
You have found a home.

Remember your abilities and that Food is important.

In this world spirits and sprites have a major impact of the success of your actions. If you want to know how they effect your efforts you need to observe. You also will need to research certain things about spirits and sprites to learn the mechanics for how they work.

Please point out any mistakes I make, I am unused to this format of writing.
Spoiler: Places (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character List (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Communal Inventory (click to show/hide)
Total Food Consumption per turn=8.5
8 turns until starvation.

I have attached a few elements of advice from the original that are still applicable to this game.
I'll start with an explanation of how to determine your characters abilities. If you open the character list you will see your characters name and attributes. You will need to also look at the first post to see what those attributes actually do. The Red part of the character list indicates a characters Caste. The black ones are Abilties and the Blue information is temporary info, Including the tile that the character is currently on. At the very least you should memorize the effects of your own characters abilities.

There are few actions that can be taken without research or abilities. These include attempting to forage on a tile, hunting, and researching. If you attempt to do something you cannot do, you will be notified next turn. This will generally waste your turn, but if you take note of the "Free Research" ability that is granted by the "Alpha" class, you will see that it will not be a total waste. Some Natural Abilties and Character Abilities include actions that you can perform.

Your first priority should be to get a stable income of food so that you don't starve. After that, you should figure out what you will want to do in order to ensure your species long term survival and prosperity. Remember that you will require some degree of teamwork for this.

You will also want to keep an eye out for new game rules. These will generally be mentioned in update posts. For example, check out the new Inventory rule section on the first post.

Lastly if you catch the GM making a mistake, please let me know. I suspect I'll forget little details here and there. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification on rules. If I make a rule in an update post and do not put it on the first post, be sure to tell me.

Feel free to give suggestions, or point out mistakes that I make.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 07:50:53 pm by High tyrol »

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2018, 07:12:45 pm »

I can see the first post being updated with new abilities. I think I went a bit overboard, because the stat increases on my abilities are so high that, if a character had those stats in my game, they could hunt a Yider Alone with no weapons and reasonably expect to WIN. (Provided they had enough food stockpiled already)

Edit:
Strength is identical to attack I just was sloppy when writting the abilities. Damage is not attack. However, it can situationaly increase attack.
Also, Horrors will come

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2018, 07:41:16 pm »

Remember everyone, the Alpha Caste gives the "Free Research" ability that lets us research in addition to any other actions we are taking at no penalty. I FORBID ANYONE TO NEGLECT THIS! YOU MUST RESEARCH EVERY TURN IF YOU HAVE THIS ABILITY

With that out of the way...

Berard
Berard forages for food at G6
Free Research: Berard researches Foraging Technique

(Relevant abilities: Forager, Researcher, Free Research, Large, Very Large)

Spoiler: Nitpicks (click to show/hide)

(Let me know if I should format my action posts differently)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2018, 07:52:49 pm »

Tex hunts at E6 while researching alchemical processes.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2018, 07:53:32 pm »

Dr. Diablito sees the very large Berard, follows him while chatting telepathically.
#// "Greetings!  Allow me to introduce myself!  I am Dr. Diablito!  With your brawn and my brains, we could do great things!"

Dr. Diablito:  follows Berard to G6 and forages for food at G6.
Research:  Help with Foraging Technique

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2018, 07:58:25 pm »

(I'm claiming the Blue w/ Cyan Glow text color for my character's speech, and I'm also the only person whose character has a last name.

Also holy shit what is that map quality)

Jaynie Morgan
Main action: Forage F6 (Not scavenging because we should stabilize food gain first because we don't want or need Player Stupidity Syndrome to kill this game.)
Free research: Farming
it's over

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2018, 08:05:24 pm »

Also holy shit what is that map quality)

The map quality is: as drawn by my youngest brother. (Age is under 8 and above 4. Exact age is confidential.) :)
Although I pasted in some relevent plants.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:14:13 pm by High tyrol »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2018, 08:08:19 pm »

I think the map has a certain charm to it actually. I'll admit that the cliffs are a bit hard to interpret as being cliffs though, but we have a description spoiler to help with that.

I am guessing that we should only have one actual "Action Post" in each turn, but should we have a limit for non-action posts (Which would be mostly planning etc)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13