Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: GridLand Survival 3: An Adventure in Trial and Error.  (Read 12538 times)

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GridLand Survival 3: An Adventure in Trial and Error.
« Reply #180 on: July 16, 2018, 04:56:29 pm »

Caelum are you going to post your action?

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 16, 2018, 05:17:33 pm »

caelum's action
#// Unit has sustained damage from large reptilian hostile requesting backup.
With a holler I orient myself to jump off the cave wall I just hit, using sky jump as a tool to boost the power of my attack on the lizzard, who I execute a flying kick on, possibly doing a one footed sky jump to boost the power of the strike once more.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 29, 2018, 11:53:33 am »

I would like to apologize for dropping this game. Particularly to Supernerd because I did not see through our deal to the end. I got carried away when trying to write the last update and my perfectionist tendencies grabbed hold of me. I wanted to make the fight scene with the beast suitably epic but It was my first time trying to write a detailed fight scene so I got discouraged and procrastinated posting it. Every time I sat down to work on it I would make progress but I was not happy with it.  I would like to find a way to get better at writing fight scenes but I don't know how to go about doing that. I also would like to know if anyone would be interested in a reboot starting after December 9.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 29, 2018, 01:45:14 pm »

In.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 29, 2018, 05:28:58 pm »

The deal was... Actually I don't remember all the gritty details. Something about me making a Gridland Survival if you made it to turn 50 or something? You weren't actually obligated to do that. I guess I could actually look up what the deal was if I had the inclination to.

But yeah, if you want to try it again I'm down with that. I have a bit of advice too. First of all, make sure that the early game will flow smoothly, as the game will only get more complex. The trick I use is to introduce tons of non-flexible game mechanics that can be processed easily, combined with just a few mechanics that are super hard to process, but also super fun. (Such as research and god powers in my Gridhood game)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 29, 2018, 06:19:21 pm »

Thanks for the advice Supernerd. However, I wonder if there is anyway to tell if a rule can be easily processed before I apply it?  I think I can spot when something is going to be a huge effort sink more easily than I can tell the difference between something that is a medium vs. a small amount of effort to use.

I guess I could ask players what their favorite rules are and cut rules that take a lot of work that are not ranked highly.

Overall, the updates were not very hard for me to do. I mainly dropped it because I let my perfectionism for the combat drive me to procrastinate about finishing the essential elements of the turn that were usually fast. Such as food consumption. 

I think that the way I handle the mechanics of combat needs work. The simple aspect was based upon damage equaling attack minus the enemies defense subtracted from health. Then situational modifiers are taken into effect. Such as whether Your particular weapon is suited to fighting them or whether I thought you had a neat plan.

Another thing is that I can have trouble remembering what gathering items come from which tile so I sometimes have to look up previous updates to remember where I give you what stuff when you gather.

A third thing is that I was having trouble trying to think of what in the world I was going to do for Caelum's diagnostic check. At first I had an idea, but then I realised that it would basically break the rest of the game. So Then I started trying to delay having to actually write it because I could not figure out how to handle that.

The last thing is whether I should continue the game where I left off or try to restart it.

edited: I added two more pieces of information.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 06:22:59 pm by High tyrol »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 29, 2018, 08:06:36 pm »

At this point you would be better off making a new game I think. I wouldn't count on all the players retaining their interest after 4 months of nothing.

Actually, a thought occurs. Would you be at all interested in working together with me to create the next Gridland game?
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 29, 2018, 08:08:50 pm »

I would be interested. Do you want me to help run it or would you prefer I be a player? I would love either, but prefer to help make it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 08:16:12 pm by High tyrol »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 29, 2018, 08:20:39 pm »

I am of the opinion that the person who runs a game should never also be a player. I'm thinking that further discussions about this should take place via PM.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]