Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - With mods you can now Coop and PvP!  (Read 17340 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (It's not my fault everyone has the cancer!)
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2019, 03:55:30 pm »

You can actually switch input prompts/tutorials to your keyboard bindings, can't remember where they hid it in the options but it's there.

Also beat the well ninja, firecracker interrupts have proven to be super useful, if hard to use due to the delay/aoe placemant. For some reason it feels like I took a wrong turn somewhere with this route since there's another miniboss right after?

Think it's finally time I face a proper boss tho, since so far I've been avoiding the Hirata lady and pushing out everywhere else. That or try one of the ghosties, tho I'm kinda scared of wasting the few confetti I have and then needing them later on when there doesn't seem to be any way to buy more and so far I've found like 4 total.

Spoiler: On dragonrot (click to show/hide)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2019, 04:22:23 pm »

Yeah, I hear you on the music. And the SFX in general. The deathblow sound, while I enjoy it, happens so frequently I feel like they should have made it a little less obtrusive since you'll be hearing it every 30 seconds for the entire game.

Also if you're lagging in Ashina Castle there's something wrong. Are you meeting spec? I can say I've had zero performance issues with the game to-date.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 04:51:27 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2019, 05:13:50 pm »

Not quite, so lags were expected. Just not so selective.  :P
You can actually switch input prompts/tutorials to your keyboard bindings, can't remember where they hid it in the options but it's there.
Well, will check options more carefully.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 05:27:04 pm by MCreeper »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2019, 07:10:57 pm »

Has anyone found a use for the Mist raven prosthetic? I've played around with it and the immortal dude at the temple and it seems like a clunkier dodge tbh (might be smoother with a controller tho, I'm not sure) since it relies on you anticipating a hit and hitting the pose at the right time before being able to dodge, which is straight up worse from just dodging whenever you feel like it, plus it wouldn't eat your spirit thingies.
AS - IG

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2019, 07:22:45 pm »

Has anyone found a use for the Mist raven prosthetic? I've played around with it and the immortal dude at the temple and it seems like a clunkier dodge tbh (might be smoother with a controller tho, I'm not sure) since it relies on you anticipating a hit and hitting the pose at the right time before being able to dodge, which is straight up worse from just dodging whenever you feel like it, plus it wouldn't eat your spirit thingies.

The base form is pretty meh, but it has its uses (get to that in a second), the enhanced version kicks ass. I'm not sure how far you're in, but it's basically a combo breaker that can save you from a LOT of trouble against certain enemies.

Most guys that aren't slobs with Katanas cannot be posture broken with the Mikiri counter. You can counter the attack but it just leaves you standing next to each other, with no followup. Shinobi Hunter, the Samurai in Castle Ashina, the spear guys, maybe even generals? They don't care about the Mikiri counter. Frankly, even though the timing on the Mikiri counter is wwwaaaaayyy more forgiving than a Deflect, a Deflect or dodge is the better option for those guys.

But maybe the Mikiri counter upgrade makes it work against tougher opponents.

The Mikiri counter isn't a 1 hit break except versus chumps, and against the tougher enemies (Samurai generals, etc) it's generally a two-step process. For example, against the first of the Seven Spears of Ashina, there's a good chance that if you pull off a Mikiri counter, he'll try and hit you with a nasty followup that takes a whopping great chunk of your health off. However, if you deflect that then you get the longest free attack opening in the man's entire pattern. Because it lets you get close, it's also great for chaining with two later game prosthetics.

Mikiri is love and life, it has i-frames, it one-shots chumps, it lets you bait lunging attacks, it's fantastic. When chained with the carp abilities, it's a monstrous finisher against samurai that try and switch to a lunge after you deflect standard strikes.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2019, 08:38:24 pm »

Guess I'll have to faff around with it more.

Mist Raven seems like more trouble than it's worth until it's upgraded. It seems like the kind of thing that'd be great if this game were PVP. Against AI though, not as useful. Although breaking out of a nasty combo seems nice....but I figure the better strategy is not to get caught in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:00:04 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2019, 11:37:44 pm »

Ape was really easy
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think I'm on the final boss.  No spoilers but fuckin a man.  I feel good when I get one or two hits in.  I can tell this is gonna be one of those exhausting bullshit fights, lots of stupid-ass hitboxes and mixups that are impossible to reflex.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 11:51:09 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Vibe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2019, 07:48:06 am »

As for Ape:

As for Mikiri counter:
I found this to be one of the more enjoyable counters to land. Not only does it do decent posture damage, on a lot of fights it allows you to get 2 attacks in for free after doing so.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 07:52:16 am by Vibe »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2019, 09:49:11 am »

I've gotten out of the habit of using tools during boss fights. Part of that is my own crippling need to hoard resources. But also burning all your ammo then dying repeatedly eventually leaves you in the same place: no ammo. And to me, I'd rather beat a fight by knowing the moves than spamming a tool over and over again. But I accept that this makes a lot of fights more difficult than they probably need to be.

Ape was really easy

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:21:21 am by nenjin »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2019, 12:07:35 pm »

Question on Senpou temple thing:

Somewhat related, does the multi-colored rice gourd have any actual function? Or is it essentially a really expensive way to get prism stones?

Edit:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 12:21:49 pm by Jopax »
AS - IG

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2019, 06:15:02 pm »

I don't see much issue with using spirit emblems. I have about 200 of them because buying them before a boss fight is better than buying nothing and losing a bunch of sen. And they're mega cheap. Especially in the early game, you can end up with a lot of money and nothing better to spend it on.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2019, 01:13:29 am »

This game's great. I never really got into Dark Souls/Bloodborne but I've been playing Sekiro alongside a friend who's really into those games, and it's interesting just how differently we've been approaching the bosses.
Spoiler: Snake Eyes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Monk (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ape (click to show/hide)
Stuck on an optional boss now. I think I'm pretty close to the ending, but haven't been trying particularly hard to pursue it.
Spoiler: Demon of Hatred (click to show/hide)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2019, 07:20:56 am »

Beat Lady Butterfly, took about a dozen attempts, mostly because of her second phase, and even there, it's not her moveset it's the illusions fucking with your camera as the auto-lock is dumb as fuck and will jump around wildly to whatever. I think the biggest tool against her is the shuriken, in this case the gouging upgrade since it can knock her off her wires even if she blocks it. Anytime she jumped up it was like a free punish that let you get in an attack or two.

After her I'm kinda stumped as to where I could go tho, can't deal with any of the apparitions since I'm outta confetti, the armored dude at the temple takes no damage, ditto for seven ashina spears but he takes no damage because he's all aggro all the goddamn time and even the upgraded mikiri doesn't do much to him. Might try for some more roof hopping now that I think about it, last time I didn't really have the resources to go too far but a straight run up there might work.
AS - IG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2019, 07:37:30 am »

Spoiler: forward options (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2019, 09:21:38 am »

Seven ashina spears is also one you absolutely have to chain deflects after mikiri counters with, and generally use lunges instead of standard attacks unless you have a clear window.

I've honestly never used firecrackers for anything but beasts.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10