Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - With mods you can now Coop and PvP!  (Read 17342 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (It's not my fault everyone has the cancer!)
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2019, 04:20:49 pm »

I rarely dodge to avoid attacks.  My usual style is hitting once or twice in neutral and jumping back to see their resp9nse.  once i know I either move for the deflect or stay back and wait for an opening.  If ive really got a boss's number though I just go apeshit and trust my reflexes to deflect responses, thats what i did with genichiro

Game is extremely dependent on deflect timing, almost a rhythm game with some enemies.  Seems like a lot of variance in challenge is how quick you are on deflects.  I have the most trouble with very slow attacks
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 04:22:44 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2019, 06:49:27 pm »

That bull fight is utter horseshit. Let's ignore the confined space for a moment to appreciate the utter retardation of having a huge sweeping aoe attack with wonky timing that you can't quite dodge nor block properly. Oh and it sets you fire.

It doesn't even seem like that elaborate of a fight since you can't bullshit it into staggering for an execute or some other cool gimmick like the horse dude before it, but instead have to whittle down the shitton of hp has, which is gonna take a while.

Unrelated, do you guys buy up all the cash bags whenever you can? I find myself using them as a bank of sorts since you only lose 10% that way (since they're more expensive to buy than their cash amount) instead of half the regular way.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2019, 06:50:35 pm »

Anyone have advise for the big dumb bull? Jumping tends to put me right into its attacks, trying to deflect seems like a terrible idea because of the flame buildup and slow, ambiguous attacks. Just sprinting around like crazy and step dodging the charge attacks works but doesn't give me a big opening to attack.

Oil and flamevent carried me through Jozu, but I'm assuming the bull is resistant to fire.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2019, 06:52:11 pm »

Just use firecrackers on the bull.  That applies to almost every boss really.

Also oh god, the glaive monks are not even close to the hardest normal enemy
Shoes...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2019, 06:58:18 pm »

Firecrackers makes an opening for a few r1s but doesnt do a lot of posture damage and the bull has lots of Vitality so they overall aren't super useful for me.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2019, 07:37:37 pm »

There's not much else to tell you on that one.  Spend most of the fight sprinting around, ready to go at him when he runs himself into a wall or a corner, he's like the horse boss in that he often gets himself stuck.  Other than that, firecrackers.  It's not gonna do huge damage, but he's a boss, he's not gonna go down easy.

Fought some new bosses

Spoiler: Major plot spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2019, 08:21:10 pm »

I wonder if it's technically possible to beat Genichiro the first time you meet him, and what changes if it is and you do. Cutscene changes to "And they did whatever they wanted to, without being thwarted by i still don't clearly understand what for villain, and lived happily ever after, but that's another story."? Or he just says "You are giving me the trouble! Stop giving me the trouble!" *slash*?

EDIT: Should have googled it. It's closer to second one.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 08:38:04 pm by MCreeper »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2019, 08:39:56 pm »

Yeah.  Devil May Cry 5 also has you fight the villain in the tutorial but you can actually beat him, and if you do the game ends right there and you get the "Well I'll be Damned" achievement.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2019, 10:24:45 pm »

Spoiler: About Dat Bull (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:31:11 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2019, 11:06:44 pm »

before and after beating true monk
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2019, 11:28:10 pm »

Spoiler: boss info (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:53:51 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2019, 11:29:44 pm »

I gotta stop reading this thread. :P

As to not be a total hypocrite I'm spoilering stuff. Really I think a good portion of the draw of boss fights in this game is learning them yourself. They each require the same basic technical skills, but have a host of quirks to figure out on they're own. Centipede Giraffe and Elite Samurai really are basically skill checks. If you can't master the skills they require you can't really win the game. I'm sure there are other things like that for other bosses that are slightly less obvious. It's either that or each boss is kind of a feature for each game mechanic and/or maybe tool, and certain bosses might be really tough because there's certain things every player doesn't do.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:45:13 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2019, 02:04:56 pm »

So I beat the bull, or rather I think it beat itself? Was close a number of times but usually got fucked over by either greed or shit camera/hitbox (highlight here was the bull locking me in a corner and me being unable to dodge or jumpe past it while it murdered me). Then, one fight, wasn't going particularly great or bad the bull kinda rampages, rams into a wall and posture breaks itself :V

Some time passes and I stumble upon the well dwelling motherfucker and for fucks sake can we please not have cramped fight arenas when the camera has such a tendency to fuck itself when near walls. Still trying to beat the fucker, he doesn't seem that much worse than the similar looking bastard guarding that pagoda in Hirata but the lack of manouvering space makes it hard to position. Also still not sure what his kicks count as, since it is technically a thrusting move but it doesn't seem mikiri works against it and isntead just dodges.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2019, 02:08:49 pm »

Most guys that aren't slobs with Katanas cannot be posture broken with the Mikiri counter. You can counter the attack but it just leaves you standing next to each other, with no followup. Shinobi Hunter, the Samurai in Castle Ashina, the spear guys, maybe even generals? They don't care about the Mikiri counter. Frankly, even though the timing on the Mikiri counter is wwwaaaaayyy more forgiving than a Deflect, a Deflect or dodge is the better option for those guys.

But maybe the Mikiri counter upgrade makes it work against tougher opponents.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2019, 03:16:25 pm »

Genichiro is a bastard indeed. Not only he uses cutscene-fu, but he also lives in so fancy castle that my game sometimes crashes from trying to approach his arena. And Castle Ashina is choke-full of lag in general. Or rather, loads and loads of loading hidden behind lag. Rest of the game runs fine, probably even on 30+ fps, i didn't checked, with 5 second tops lag when entering location. But not this fucking place. I would prefer that i had stable 4-5 fps all along in it (i did beat Blighttown on that, after all!), instead of sudden jerks and twitches and 10 second freezes. Also, very long proper loading before that.

On more general bad stuff:
1. Music is... not for me. Disabled it before Dzudzo since it got repetitive and not to place (why start full epic battle music when there is only one bum with katana charging at me?). Re-enabled it on Lady Butterfly for some time. Meh... nope, don't like that much.
1.5. And what i got to listen to instead of music? Obscenely loud wind sound, of course. Despite there quite obviously being no wind at all. So it just sounds like there is a road full of cars, of which i have plenty just outside, somewhere nearby. Maybe it even is! And there is no way to disable that without everything else. FFFUUUUUUUU!
2. I just loathe god damned retarded loading tips from Captain Obvious to mentally deficient! Can someone please make a mod that removes that shit from the game?
3. Controls tutorials are still for gamepad. Probably a running gag.
Quote from: Bull problems

At least they made somewhat funny joke on self at the end.  :P
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 03:40:04 pm by MCreeper »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10