Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - With mods you can now Coop and PvP!  (Read 17331 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (From Soft's new game) (It's Out)
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2019, 10:24:44 am »

Centipede Giraffe was easy.

Currently fighting Guardian Ape. First phase I understand, second phase.....well, I'll get it. I just need more time to figure out how to deal with silly sword.

Genichiro took me 7 or 8 tries, mostly because of:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Centipede Giraffe and the Elite are basically the same fight done in two different ways.

After the Elite w/e in Ashina Castle, I realize that many bosses are puzzles. Some are just straight fights but others require you to leverage posture in some way. Sometimes directly. Others are straight up slug fests, still others are "forget blocking and deflecting, just move your ass and deal damage when you can."

I gotta say. If From Soft decides to do another Souls game, I really hope they incorporate some of what they've learned from Sekiro. The combat in Sekiro is just so much more engaging and flows so much better. You have tons of options and those options look good, sound good and feel good. Part of me almost wishes there was MP in Sekiro because it'd make for some dank-ass duels.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2019, 10:38:38 am »

The lightning phase is easy, if you jump as soon as he charges and block it you can redirect it at him for massive posture damage and a stun.

Like dark souls a lot of bosses are impossible until you figure out the strat but the strats arent as gimmicky as dark souls and its more satisfying when you beat him.

The easiest boss so far has probably been the ghost warrior in the cave, the one that summons ghostballs.  Anti air deathblow him when he floats and he dies in two hits.

ashina elite was like a brick wall until i just ran up and poisoned him as he was standing up, he takes insane damage from poison and stacks it fast even if he blocks
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 10:45:38 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2019, 10:52:43 am »

This game has this push pull effect when it comes to being aggressive. If you're not aggressive enough, enemies will just wear you down and break your posture or hurt you when you miss your blocks and dodges, because unlike Dark Souls they don't just stand there circle strafing you on a big cooldown, inviting you to attack. The gaps between their attacks and movement in Sekiro are comparatively short. (Or non-existent, in the case of the Guardian Ape.)

On the other hand, enemies that matter are designed to punish greed. That was my problem with Genichiro Phase 2. Get greedy, be out of position or mid animation when he does the lightning, get fragged. Also the same story with Shirafuji.

However the time I beat Genichiro, I just....R1'd him one strike at at time, no combos. I'd hit him, he'd jump back to do the bow, I'd hit him again, he'd go to swing, I'd hit him again, he'd jump back to use the bow...it was almost kind of laughable after all the running around and deflecting and whatnot I'd done prior. It almost felt like roll catching someone in Dark Souls.

So generally you just have to play very tight, be aggressive but also be ready to nope out or deflect or jump or w/e at a moment's notice.

Also it seems like what you have unlocked kind of matters in relation to some boss fights. I've unlocked about half the shinobi tree and nothing else.

On that note....I really like the economy in Sekiro in some ways. I've yet to unlock a ton of stuff because I die repeatedly. I'll get through a level section pretty well, but not have enough to spend XP on, then die a shit ton to a boss and lose it all. That's kind of kept my growth stunted, but it's also continually given me stuff to look forward to. Same story with the Tools Ammo. (I just call it Hearts.) I don't use my tools that often in regular play because I find the sword play a way more satisfying way to end fights. But then I try to get all I can out of them during boss fights. (The firecracker tool is a guaranteed spot of damage in pretty much every boss fight.) So I'll end up mowing through all my hearts. To be honest, the Firecrackers tool is the only one I use with any regularity. The rest are nice, and fun but often don't seem to be worth the effort to use.

That makes pretty much everything: money, XP and ammo feel meaningful because you can lose it easily. If you're the kind of person that is motivated by unlocks, and likes your money to have context instead of just "a big fat pile of gold always sitting around" Sekiro really makes the scarcity feel meaningful....unless you're super good I suppose and rarely die.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:16:27 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2019, 11:13:21 am »

If you've got the ashina esoteric text dip into it asap.  The helmsplitter combat art is pretty good and the passives increase your posture game (more posture damage on deflect, less gain, etc.) which is huge for a lot of bosses
Shoes...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2019, 11:14:53 am »

First off, fuck that fucking ogre fucker and his fucking homing lunge grab. Doubly so whoever wrote the tip you get right before you fight it about grabs being avoidable with the dodge, because the only way to dodge that lunge grab is by jumping, dodging sideways does nothing and dodging backwards is very unreliable since he might decide he wants to fly a bit further and still get you.

Also is it just me or is it nigh-impossible to get the thrust counter timing right when using a mouse? There seems to be something of a delay and it's hard to nail it down (same was true in DS but there the timing didn't need to be this precise)

Also also I love the way the game organically throws hints at you if you take the time to sneak around and listen in on people, and how different zones tend to give drops that make the other zones easier (ie, you farm oil in Hirata to have an easy peasy ogre fight in Ashina).

Also also also, I'm not too far into it still (Just reached the big fuckoff dude on the big fuckoff horse) but it feels like the shuriken went from marginally useful for sniping off dogs to utter cheese once I got the followup slash for it since even some early elites can get interrupted by them mid-attack and the follow-up is fast enough that you can get a hit or two in before dashing back and repeating the whole thing until they just die.

Anyways, super fun so far, loving the combat and the sneaky stuff as well, can't wait to see more.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2019, 11:23:09 am »

Yeah, the Ogre's grab is bullshit. I think I died about 10+ times to him.

I hear you about dodge versus jumping. That alone is a learning point in some boss fights. Like I couldn't avoid either Shirafuji's grab OR Guardian Ape's grab with dodges. Just couldn't do it, Left and Right were a no go and backwards only worked about half the time. (Ironically a forward dodge can actually work sometimes if you get the iframes just right....but who has the patience for that shit?)

So I just started jumping. And lo and behold, half of the moves that would end your fight suddenly became just another thing to memorize and avoid. Basically any time I get that warning kanji in a boss or miniboss fight, I jump now. 90% of the time, it's the right call. If it's a sweep attack, jumping was the right call. If it's a pierce attack, side jumping is the right call. If it's a grab.....of the 4 directions you can dodge out of the way, three of them are a probably a trap. So jumping....is almost always the right answer if you're not sure about an attack. The only downside is it fucks up your positioning but I think that's a small price to pay for not getting insta-wrecked.

You can often deflect many of those big attacks too but it's not worth the risk to figure out the timing usually.

Maybe I'll spend some time grinding skill points after I send Guardian Ape to Monkey Hell. I've avoided straight up grinding for anything but required cash but I'm probably making the game harder on myself at this point by not having many skills unlocked. I did plenty of grinding in Dark Souls because I felt like it was necessary but here for some reason it feels even more cheesy.

I'm also really looking forward to the Sekiro Speed Runs, No Hit Runs and No Leveling Runs. I feel like there's A LOT of room for mastery in this game.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:42:48 am by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (It's not my fault everyone has the cancer!)
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2019, 11:35:04 am »

Double post because why not:

SPOILERS

Spoiler: Shadows Spoil Twice (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:37:05 am by nenjin »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2019, 11:45:18 am »

Spoiler: post monky spoilers (click to show/hide)

My fave prosthetic is divine abduction which turns enemies around and opens up a backstab.  Combined with bloodsmoke you can really tear through big groups.

Hardest basic enemy ive seen is the glaive monks in senpou, i dont thini ive ever killed one in a fair fight
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:53:13 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2019, 12:07:53 pm »

Agreed on Glaive monks. I've beaten them in a straight up fight but I think they're honestly tougher than the Generals, even with only one Deathblow. What seems to work is staying very close and just pounding on them until their posture breaks. If you're outside of sword slash range, they will just start ruining you with repeated thrust attacks and the odd sweep attack just to keep you off balance.

Also I like how you learn the Mikri(sp?) counter, then basically every guy above the rank of filthy hobo with a sword can't be hit with the follow up attack. Maybe you need to buy the Advanced Mikri counter skill.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2019, 01:20:01 pm »

Doubly so whoever wrote the tip you get right before you fight it about grabs
,because one and only reason grab caught me off-gaurd was that freaking tip popping up right before it.

Everyone haves their own That Damn Boss, i guess. He caught me with a grab, what, four times? Probably because i always use jumping for dodging, screw another situative button press to learn.  :P Also, safer, since dodge invincibility appears to be gone. On the other hand, i died against Lady Butterfly 20-30 times. Partially because i did fight "proper way" (pressure, pressure, pressure!) in first try, then tried to play it safe for quite a while. Wrong!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 01:23:22 pm by MCreeper »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2019, 03:20:04 pm »

Too bad that jumping out of combat doesn't look nearly as edgy as dodging and counterattacking.

Oh, also. Dodging then counterattacking is how you beat like half the Posture Lords in this game. Like the Shinobi Hunter. Can't touch that guy with literally anything except dodging counterattacks.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2019, 03:42:28 pm »

Ok I'm an idiot. This whole time, for whatever reason I've been reading the Mikiri blurb and interpreting it as "super precise deflect" so this whole time I've been thinking I can't hit the timing because I've never performed it. Then, I suddenly realised that the key mentioned in the blurb is actually the dodge. Lo and behold it was actually rather easy to do after all once I got the hang of it :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2019, 03:42:50 pm »

I like that aspect, there's enough room for different playstyles that everyone has different bosses they do or dont have trouble with.

genichiro and monky were easy, orin was easy, but snake eyes, seven ashina spears, lady butterfly all gave me hell.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2019, 03:51:13 pm »

Spoiler: Lady Butterfly (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:32:22 pm by nenjin »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2019, 03:51:36 pm »

Too bad that jumping out of combat doesn't look nearly as edgy as dodging and counterattacking.

Oh, also. Dodging then counterattacking is how you beat like half the Posture Lords in this game. Like the Shinobi Hunter. Can't touch that guy with literally anything except dodging counterattacks.
Hence "situative". About only place where i used dodge so far (first two locations).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10