Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - With mods you can now Coop and PvP!  (Read 17327 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (It's not my fault everyone has the cancer!)
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2019, 08:08:21 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also fuck the corrupted monk, mainly her tendancy to push you across the arena with her long ass combo chain resulting in camera wonkiness.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2019, 07:19:00 pm »

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2019, 09:37:53 pm »

I like how a lot of the minibosses have "rematches."  Without spoiling things for people who like surprises, most of the minibosses have a copy, sometimes stronger, somewhere else in the game.  In a different game it would've felt lazy, but it's fun to fight a boss again and see how much you've improved.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2019, 10:59:08 pm »

Oh good. I put him down after 3 attempts and felt like it was one of the better fights in the game. So I'm looking forward to that. (Meanwhile, fuck well ninja. Finally I was like "FINE I PLAY THE FUCKING DEFLECT GAME" and just mashed deflects on him rather than, you know, anything else.)

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2019, 04:18:38 am »

So I finally got to the guardian ape after avoiding it for so long that it's pretty much my only way forward. First attempt went wierdly because the fucker bugged out and stood there staring at me while I got him down to a quarter hp before he realised he should probably participate in the bossfight. Second phase still wrecked me so there's that :V

It's really annoying because every single of his attacks screams DODGE YOU FOOL HES BIG AND BAD! so I instinctively reverted to my Dark Souls MO and it's messing me up a bit.
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2019, 10:17:25 am »

Yeah, no dodging. Running circles around his attacks is by far more reliable.

Also named Shinobi Hunter v2 did a weird thing when I fought him. Up to his first deathblow it was a normal fight, but after that he just kinda stood there. He stopped deflecting or doing any other moves, just blocking, and poorly at that. I beat on his blocks from the door the Serpent Shrine almost all the way up to the castle door before his posture finally broke and I killed him. Very odd.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2019, 11:15:51 am »

A similar thing happened to me with one of those agile two-bladed glaive guys at senpou. Just let me keep hitting him, never deflecting or dodging out of it. I think sometimes the AI in this game just breaks. :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2019, 11:29:03 am »

Also I just learned that Shinobi Hunters are actually the guys with the spears. I always thought the Purple Guys were Shinobi Hunters since they are much tougher.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2019, 12:40:12 pm »

Fuck the ape and fuck its fucking grab of fucking inconsistency. Where not dodging can be safer than fucking dodging. The goddamn amount of times I've been grabed despite mashing the god fucking damned dodge button to get out of the fucking way is insane. This is the most tilted the bloody game has gotten me so far. Over a fucking monkey that throws goddamn shit at you.

Fuck
AS - IG

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2019, 12:59:22 pm »

The part at the start of the game where it tells you to step dodge in order to avoid grabs is pretty much a lie, or at least overgeneralization. Often you'll want to jump instead.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2019, 01:01:26 pm »

This is the most tilted the bloody game has gotten me so far.

Same here. Ape was the first fight that actually made me rage. (Chained Ogre made me rage but I only had to fight him about half the the times I fought the Ape.) I'd have to ask my roommate but I believe at various points during that fight I was shouting things like:

"COME AND GET ME YOU APE FUCK."

"FUCK YOU, YOU DIRTY APE MOTHERFUCKER."

Grabs fucking suck.

So just jump. It's way more reliable and if you jump straight up you can get a head bounce for some extra posture damage and a couple sword slashes on the way down. Jumping totally fucks with the hitbox of the attack too. I've jumped around the grab and literally been inside him while he's doing it and somehow it just passed right through me. Versus every configuration of dodge which never worked.

Just forget about the dodge button in the ape fight. That was the lesson I had to learn. In almost no place does it work in this fight, against any of his shit.

Honestly though, the move that really got my hackles up was the little "rush forward and quick swipe with the right hand then bounce backward." That move got me so many fucking times when I thought I had proper spacing.....it had me spitting fire.

If you really just want to win the fight, just spam him with Firecrackers, over and over and over again. I went the painful way of learning all of his moves and not cheesing him with tools. Learning his first form moves cold can help a little later on...but it may be healthier for your blood pressure just to finish and get on with Phase 2.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 01:03:20 pm by nenjin »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2019, 08:43:18 pm »

Yeah I think I spammed firecrackers on the first phase too.  Honestly I didn't find him all that hard, he was probably my favorite boss fight.  The animations are great, for phase one and two.  Very natural and authentic for the first phase, I love where he stands up and runs on his hind legs like a pissed off gorilla, and then the second phase is really freaky, unsettling sinuous movements, also perfect.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2019, 09:55:45 pm »

Yeah, they did a great job with the whole fight. (They must have felt so too since...yeah.)

Still.

Fuck that Ape.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 11:30:31 pm by nenjin »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2019, 01:54:20 pm »

Gave it another go today, took him down on the third try. First phase wasn't much of an issue after a while, taking it slow made me go trough it with like 7-8 chugs left in the gourd. The second phase was fucky because it was tough to find openings, everything that kinda looked like one ended up with the fucker slashing or screaming. Also it seemed like the scream can be interrupted? Sometimes atleast, once I jumped near it and it stopped the chargeup, another time two slashes did it, wasn't too keen on testing what exactly would cause the interrupt tho.

Also, on the first phase, the move that gave you trouble nenjin, I don't think it ever really hit me properly as I was constantly circling to the right and was always out of reach there. What tended to fuck me up was the two-piece that ends up with him sitting with his back turned, you'd think he's open but that shit is grade A bait that ends up with you smashed to bits.

Anyways, seems that I gotta fight you-know-who now, seemed like an interesting fight on first go but I think I'll stay and farm the cornucopia of ninjas for the time being. Also, was that headless always in the moat behind the castle or is it a new arrival? Scared the shit out of me once I noticed it and it noticed me :c
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2019, 02:38:18 pm »

I think he's always been there. I often was target locked on to something at the bottom while swimming around, even after killing all the man eater fish. He's probably just coded not to aggro until you get below the surface of the water.

Also that move when he gets on his back. I'd run around to his head and do a charged thrust attack. Generally let me get some hits in while his was throwing his tantrum, unless I started too close, in which case it put me inside his hitboxes and I started taking damage.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10