Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tales From Passtorch, Chapter 1; A Fool's Gambit  (Read 721 times)

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tales From Passtorch, Chapter 1; A Fool's Gambit
« on: June 10, 2018, 01:26:29 am »

May whatever crooked gods inhabit this foul wasteland forgive you for your trespass.

Welcome to Passtorch, a deserted fortress in the middle of a terrifying tundra. Countless parties have meet their doom within these cursed halls, and yet countless more have managed to escape. How shall your party fare?

In pass torch, your goal is to survive a year, and perhaps expand the fortress as you do so. Then, once the new year rolls around, you abandon ship, only for the next party in line to attempt to reclaim. You're free to do as you wish with the halls, be it to the merit or detriment of the fortress. If the party before you winds up dead, you are expected to complete the year, and follow through the next one. I'd like to ask that you attempt to give your party character; be a bit creative, and decide why they're here for a year.

Also, if it ain't obvious, this setup ain't conducive for dwarfing. You're free to make yourself on your turn, but nobody has to make you on theirs.

Spoiler: Tennants (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 02:01:33 am by fishboyliam »

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tales From Passtorch, Chapter 1; A Fool's Gambit
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 02:01:11 am »

And now, for the first tennants, the Doomed Fool. A group of 7 military dwarves, with weapons and armor, but very little supplies. Can they hold out until rescue arrives?

Gr. 1, 125

I am Zon Kerligalath of The Doomed Fool. Normally I’d rather share my stories over a pint rather than a parchment, but given our circumstance, I don’t know if I’ll ever reach another tavern. Please excuse me if my writing is worse than elven cooking.

That aside, here is my tale.

Ever since I was a wee lad, I have always been enamored with the military. They all seemed to work in perfect unison, with endless faith in each-other to drive back whatever beasts had decided to try and raid our home. Naturally, as soon as I came of age, I enlisted. I took well to the axe. Now I have many tales from my year of basic training, but I won’t bother sharing them here. However, during this year, I came to become familiar with Urist Railgib. This dwarf talked constantly about how he had already learned whatever the drill for the day was from his father, who he claimed was a decorated veteran. Given that he did incredibly well in the end, we all came to believe he was a snotty noble’s child.

Come graduation, the two of us get placed into the same squad; Urist, naturally, took position as leader. Our first assignment was to scout a goblin encampment a week north, and make sure they weren’t amazing for a siege. Given a map and a months supplies (just as a precaution), we set out, confident in our ability complete a simple mission. No combat was even required; just travel there, travel back. So simple that a Golark could have lead the squad, if it knew how to read a map. It took us two weeks to finally begin to question Urist. He constantly reaffirmed us that he knew exactly what he was doing, and that we had nothing to worry about. As supplies dwindled, however, he began to unravel, until this morning he broke down.

Turns out the fucker had been lying this entire time. We were correct about the yes, he was a nobles son, but that noble was a bookkeeper. He cheated on his exams, never learned a thing, and had lead us out into the middle of nowhere because he couldn’t admit to himself that he fucked up big time. I think he expected sympathy, but we were outraged. We were now stranded Armok knows how far north, in the freezing cold, because he couldn’t admit that he’s more kobold than dwarf. My blood is still boiling as I write this. We kicked his ass out of the squad, and told him that if he found his way home, send us a rescue, or we would make sure he wound up as a vampire, and then seal him under the mountain to waste away for all eternity.

So now that I’m the one in charge, I think it’s time we stoped going north. We can’t go south yet, but we can at least build a small camp and try to resupply with the local resources. I’m sure I could put my axe to work on these trees, and one of us had the brilliant idea of using the last of our plump helmets to make a small farm, our marksdwarf can hunt wild game (just bagged us a massive hamster), and our fighter is superstitious as shit, never leaving home without their pickaxe. We all thought they were strange at the time, but they may have saved our lives. As the old saying goes, with stout labor comes sustenance, yada yada, so strike the-

Oh fuck a giant hamster we killed earlier just stood up.

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 12:43:01 am »

How will survivors from previous expeditions be handled?

I'm not very experienced with reclaiming. Will they show up as guests? Can they petition for residency?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 05:17:25 am »

Beware the giant hamster.

Caesar Josephus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 12:40:24 pm »

gotta love bearskie's profile picture. Also this sounds interesting. I would like a turn but not quite yet. I want to wait till I have my non-freshman laptop.
"What could possibly go wrong?" - Quill18

I would be careful... Kamatec may seem jovial, but he secretly leads an endless legion of Lawyers.