Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Option to Avoid Lower Priority Designations Until Higher Ones Complete  (Read 946 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Dwarves will begin lower priority designations while others are still working on higher priority ones. When channeling, this can result in cave-ins.

There should be a setting to force them to wait until all higher priority jobs of the same type are completed. There could be a distinction between dig and smooth jobs, but also an option to wait for those to complete, too.

Another suggestion is to allow markers to be changed into designations more easily.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 10:11:34 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dwarves will begin lower priority designations while others are still working on higher priority ones. When channeling, this can result in cave-ins.

There should be a setting to force them to wait until all higher priority jobs of the same type are completed. There could be a distinction between dig and smooth jobs, but also an option to wait for those to complete, too.
Are any other higher-priority jobs accessible when the dwarves start working on lower-priority ones? If not, that could be an explanation. I don't think it would make sense to block a 1-tile-wide priority-2 shaft from being dug at all if a similar priority-1 shaft hasn't been completely finished yet.

Another suggestion is to allow markers to be changed into designations more easily.
There's a "toggle marker" option in the designations menu (maybe M?) - what else could be easier?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Are any other higher-priority jobs accessible when the dwarves start working on lower-priority ones? If not, that could be an explanation.
The issue I described is this:
Code: [Select]
+++++
+222+
+212+
+222+
+++++
If a novice miner (or a dwarf on the other side of the fort) is assigned to the center tile, the other miners can channel out all of the surrounding tiles before it's done.

I don't think it would make sense to block a 1-tile-wide priority-2 shaft from being dug at all if a similar priority-1 shaft hasn't been completely finished yet.
Hence the setting.

There's a "toggle marker" option in the designations menu (maybe M?) - what else could be easier?
Doesn't that just switch between painting marker and designation? I was talking about being able to activate the markers so they can be dug. AFAIK, you have to paint over each with the proper designation.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 07:22:42 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think it would make sense to block a 1-tile-wide priority-2 shaft from being dug at all if a similar priority-1 shaft hasn't been completely finished yet.
Hence the setting.
I still think it'll lead to issues where a priority-1 square somewhere unreachable/irrelevant will prevent digging elsewhere, and lead to faulty bug reports, etc.

Doesn't that just switch between painting marker and designation? I was talking about being able to activate the markers so they can be dug. AFAIK, you have to paint over each with the proper designation.
[/quote]
No, that's d-m. d-M (note the uppercase) is "Toggle Standard/Marking", which changes existing designations.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

I still think it'll lead to issues where a priority-1 square somewhere unreachable/irrelevant will prevent digging elsewhere, and lead to faulty bug reports, etc.
I suppose unreachable ones could be ignored, just as long as you don't start a job while a higher priority one is active. It could even be another option.

When in progress (default) / Finish same type / Finish all
Ignore unreachable: on / off

That's 6 combinations, which is reasonable to be cycled using a single key.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 10:27:50 pm by Bumber »