Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some Music system improvements  (Read 546 times)

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some Music system improvements
« on: June 07, 2018, 05:53:26 pm »

I really enjoy playing adventure mode and I find bard characters fun to play.
But I noticed a few small things I think could be done to improve the performance system in Adventurer mode.

Better Filters
       I think that under the performance menu in adventure mode that there should be better filters.
I think you should be able to either sort or filter pieces of music, poetry, and dances by form.
I also think that you should be able to filter or sort songs by instruments.
When playing a bard type character it can be difficult to sort through a huge list of songs. Finding if there are any songs which use an instrument you actually have is time consuming.

Other Changes
       I think you should be able to use previously written poetry for songs that require a poem for lyrics.
Being able to influence the instruments used in a song would be nice.
It would also be nice to be able to generate new musical forms as an adventurer.
You should be able to play instruments to sing or accompany a dance. Currently if you dance and The is music for it npcs will do the musical part automatically even if it has an instrumental accompaniment. There seems to be no apparent option to play music which will accompany a dance and have npcs dance.
(Note:it may be that this is possible but I just missed how it is done but it is possible.)

P.S. I have a few bugs I found related to this system but I realized I don’t know how to report bugs.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some Music system improvements
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 06:12:39 pm »

Bug tracker is here:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/my_view_page.php

Search a while for the bug you're thinking of first. Some are not easy to find, so try a few different keywords.
Saves the bug tracker team from the seemingly soul destroying task of marking hundreds of bugs as "Resolved - Duplicate".

A save demonstrating the problem really helps. "Just set up a tavern" involves someone having to create a world, embark, build a tavern, not die, etc. A save can also reveal corruption and mod related issues that might not be apparent from your bug report.

Saves can be uploaded to the official file depot. This is hosted by Bay12games, so in 5 years time, when Toady gets round to addressing your bug, your save will be sitting there waiting for him. That can't be guaranteed on any other file hosting service.

Dwarf Fortress File Depot is here:
http://dffd.bay12games.com
Just zip your save folder, upload to 'bugged saves' and add the link to your bug report.

A save demonstrating a bug will save the bug tracking team from the soul destroying task of marking hundreds of bugs "Resolved - Unable to reproduce".

Finally, next time you're at a Dwarf Fortress convention, buy a drink for someone on the bug tracking team. They deserve it.