Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do necromancers HAVE to be bad guys?  (Read 1666 times)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do necromancers HAVE to be bad guys?
« on: June 05, 2018, 01:25:44 am »

Yearly now, the local necromancers show up. It's a farmer and her consort. They walk to the top of the mountain alone, chill by the pond, and the second the military gets close enough to see them and charge, they sprint off not to be seen again until next year.
They seem a little more cautious then. They don't bring undead hordes, they haven't raised anything, they don't even have weapons or armor.
Maybe they're just misunderstood. It seems more like we scare them off from their picnic than we're protecting ourselves from an invasion.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do necromancers HAVE to be bad guys?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 01:49:24 am »

Slaughter a few badgers and leave their remains on the hilltop. Then you'll see just how innocent their "picnic" is.
Drive them Away!

saharo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 02:58:41 am »

I go get some popcorns! Tell me how the picnic went :)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 08:25:42 am »

Necros are about as harmless a someone who causes spontaneous combustions in their vicinity when they feel threatened, but have no control over what they set on fire or how the fires progress, with the minor difference that necros aren't attacked by their own undead.
Intent isn't really that important, as the effects are harmful regardless.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 08:39:18 am »

Oh, I'm not saying I'm not being cautious with them or taking my time running them off.
Just that I feel a little bad about needing to do it.
Kind of like the kobolds that steal a -jute sock- left over from the elves, and seem immensely proud of it.
I mean, maybe they don't mean to do it. They might not even know. They're just out there for a relaxing evening, and think that zombified critters just pop up and civilization is full of violent jerks.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 08:42:03 am by Deus Machina »
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 11:51:59 am »

Aww, that sounds cute.  You could try building them a little walled garden to picnic in.

~Yami.
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 12:30:24 pm »

The hidden necros are technically not even invaders. Sometimes during undead siege both types of necros arrive - these shown from the beginning (who are proper invaders), and these sneaking ones, hidden in ambush. The later try to get to your fortress, but after being revealed (sometimes by visitors, I got it recently) they start to run away.

They are caught in cage traps though, unlike legal visitors. Since cage traps have intelligence surpassing the dwarven one, I have to base my opinion on their judgement, and thereby declare the hidden necros a threat. Or, in other words, the bad guys.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 01:18:25 pm »

They are caught in cage traps though, unlike legal visitors. Since cage traps have intelligence surpassing the dwarven one, I have to base my opinion on their judgement, and thereby declare the hidden necros a threat. Or, in other words, the bad guys.
Dwarves falling asleep on cage traps is apparently a threat to the fort, too. :P
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 01:06:15 am »

Dwarves falling asleep on cage traps is apparently a threat to the fort, too. :P

Yes, I was thinking about this when evaluating IQ of cage traps :)

Dwarves are protected by these traps (if they lose consciousness due to being massacred by goblins for example), or punished for being lazy or clumsy. No input from the overseer needed!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 12:09:52 pm »

Necromancers don't have to be the bad guys. Actually, they rarely are. They carry over the diplomatic style of their homeciv, which is often dwarven or human, neither being prone to unprovocked attacks.
They are however really misunderstood and feared by the population, for good reasons, and their minions hate the living with undying (lol) passion. Therefore locking themselves in a tower is actually a peace move that is better for everyone.

Until holier than thou adventurer come and put their nose where it doesn't belong that is :D

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 01:47:34 pm »

Necromancers don't have to be the bad guys. Actually, they rarely are. They carry over the diplomatic style of their homeciv, which is often dwarven or human, neither being prone to unprovocked attacks.
They are however really misunderstood and feared by the population, for good reasons, and their minions hate the living with undying (lol) passion. Therefore locking themselves in a tower is actually a peace move that is better for everyone.

Until holier than thou adventurer come and put their nose where it doesn't belong that is :D
Well, every encounter I've had with necros have been them staging unprovoked attacks against my fortresses, which have usually been located closer to the goblins than to the necro tower(s). Also, viewing necro towers with Legends Viewer typically shows that they are at war with every civ in the vicinity after a few years, which explains why they typically run out of (dead) bodies faster than they'd do if they only attacked my fortress.

The only necros currently capable of not being bad guys might be adventurer ones (as I assume they would actually be able to control when they raise dead or not).

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 03:13:31 pm »

They can indeed.

The propensity for raiding forts seems to be limited to player forts, I've never seen them actually waging war or raids against anyone else in legends, for example.

I've also definitely had necros who simply arrive on my map without undead and mill about before leaving. Also, keep in mine that some nobles are accepted necromancers, such as monarchs who unlock the secrets of life and death during their reign.

So i think probably there is something planned for non-hostile necros, though I would expect that the "good" civs utter aversion to the undead would cause fighting regardless.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 04:29:02 am »

One thing which is a bit surprising to me, is that the tower which is required for necro sieges to happen at all is formally at peace with you. When you look at it in world map.

Since the estimated populations doesn't change, and are not diminished by the crushin of hordes by the player, I roleplay these necros who actually attack as "rogue" ones. Pity we can't trade with necro tower. There would be some use for those elven or goblin captives.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 06:20:44 pm »

The only necros currently capable of not being bad guys might be adventurer ones (as I assume they would actually be able to control when they raise dead or not).

We adventurers are often the bad guys even though we could choose not to raise the dead.

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 12:04:42 am »

For a while I had a fort of many necromancers after an invading one left a book behind and everyone read it.
It worked fine for a while, and then it went bad v. quickly.