Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 58

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 60002 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile

Quote from: evictedSaint's Traveling Circus
Purchase:
8 PP's worth of Confetti, Streamers, Colored Smoke, and Clown Paraphernalia

Deployment:
All ground forces are to be told to hold the line.

Squires 1-5, Knights 1-2, and Rooks 1-3 are to be pulled back to the Capitol to perform feats of acrobatic brilliance in order to raise both our prestige and our pilots experience.

Rooks 1-3 are to be mounted with loudspeakers playing circus music.

Quote from: votes
Retake the North (0):
Operation Anvil Amended (1): Jerick
Plan Screw the Rules, I have Money! (0):
Plan Screw the Rules, I'm buying the shoreline (4): NAV, Piratejoe, Happerry, Sensei
evictedSaint's Traveling Circus (1): eS

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile

Oh my gods you absolute mad man...a part of me wants to do that just for the laughs but it would be devastating to our efforts.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PJ, you really need to proofread these plans if you're going to be cranking them out like this.

Per both "Screw the rules" plans:

"1x Sky Eye Squadron Rook 4
Equip Rook 4 with Bird watching Essentials
Disband Rook 4 & 5 +1 PP"

This is supposedly the leading plan and I have no idea what I'm reading here.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mothball rules are weird.  It's more efficient to scrap our existing two mothballed balloons and buy a new one than it is to unmothball one.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I did proof read the plans. Just disband our mothballed sky eyes and replace the 4th one with a new one. That way we get the new squadron out faster and we don't cut into our budget.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In the meantime, while we wait for the next turn...

Teverum Air Company Rhydwyn Maddox 3 or TAC R.M.3 "African Swallow"
The Teverum Air Company Rhydwyn Maddox 3, or TAC R.M.3, also nicknamed the "African Swallow" is a new aircraft design proposed by the previously civilian Aircraft company as part of the VSC contract competition. The design is made to be light and aerodynamic to create a nimble and fast biplane fighter. The fuselage has had work to make it as aerodynamic as possible from past experience and the craft is powered by the Barnett 1915 with water cooling to increase its ability to produce power, which is important due to the revolutionary new ability to adjust its speed instead of having to rely on a blip switch to slow down. The engine was also picked because the aircraft was made with the intent of speed and maneuverability and that due to the rest of the crafts lightweight design the power to weight ratio would be quiet good. Rhydwyn also stated that not only would such a engine do well, but it also would help keep costs down compared to if it used a larger inline, and that working with the Barnett company on the engine would make a good engine that would be the foundation for all engines serving our aircraft for the following years. The upper wing of the aircraft is close to the fuselage and along the pilots eye level which should offer greater visibility than if it was higher up as well as reduce drag and the tail of the aircraft is fairly open giving a clearer view to the pilot allowing them to make decisions quicker and better. The aircraft as one can easily tell is specifically designed for making any enemy aircraft have a bad day, and this is made more apparent when one sees that to top it all off is armed with not one but two machine guns built into the design and connected to synchronization gear to be able to quickly down any enemy it comes across.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:01:20 pm by piratejoe »

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Spring 1915, Design Phase
« Reply #561 on: July 14, 2018, 08:47:06 am »

Design Phase, Early Spring 1915

Squire 5 has reached Rookie experience level.

Some guards from the Verusan Department of Security are posted to the Design Bureau this week. A stone-faced agent is in charge of them, but won’t answer any questions as to what they’re doing here.

In the north, the army generals request for more aircraft to halt the Kolechian advance. In particular, they ask for either balloons or photoreconnaissance aircraft to assist the army’s efforts.

In the centre, the generals are celebrating the fall of Estwice. They think that some of the squadrons here should be outfitted with cameras, to further assist the lone squadron’s photoreconnaissance efforts. In the upcoming months, they plan to push southwest to Zydinah, in the hopes of cutting off Kolechian cavalry forces stationed in the Cranve Forest.

To the south, the army and marines are disappointed at the fall of Basselton, but do not blame the Sky Crusaders. On the contrary, relations with the navy have improved, as they see the Emu bombers as having a decisive effect in scaring off the Kolechian fleet. However, the actual material impact of the raid might be less than expected. While several ships were damaged by fire, these mostly sailed away under their own power and likely survived to return to drydock. They suggest developing a more powerful bomb for the anti-ship role. There is also interest in the possible use of planes to scout for enemy ships – earlier warning of the Kolechia ships approaching might have changed the battle considerably.

Finally, a question has been raised due to the introduction of the Tactical Escape Parachute to Kolechian squadrons. Several cases of Kolechian pilots deploying the parachute to drift safely back to earth have been observed. A pilot descending by parachute is extremely vulnerable and could be easily shot down by the victorious Sky Crusader plane. However, there is debate about whether Verusan pilots should do so or not. Proponents point out that each Kolechian pilot who ditches into their territory could escape uninjured and be back in the air in a new plane within days, giving the Kolechians a growing advantage in pilot numbers and experience. Opposition consists mainly of those insisting that such a practice would be dishonourable, as a parachuting pilot is effectively out of the battle, and that shooting unarmed personnel is distasteful. Whatever the case, there is an opportunity here to give input as to what Sky Crusader doctrine should be.

High command has increased your budget by 3 PP, as the country devotes more factories to war.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs and Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Squadrons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 14, 2018, 11:02:24 am »

Quote from: Voting on Projects
TAC R.M.3 African Swallow(1): Piratejoe
Surprised our prestige is still so little...

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 14, 2018, 02:41:47 pm »

@GM, while we're on the topic of law of war issues... are we signatories to the whole no hollow-point/soft-point agreement on 1899?  JSP/JHP .303 would be brutal against wood and canvas aircraft.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 14, 2018, 02:51:53 pm »

Probably, and if not I'm sure that the rest of the world wouldn't like it.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 14, 2018, 06:27:02 pm »

Anyone want to try to design or revise up some Incendiary Bombs this turn? I don't think we'll be able to easily do planes that can haul around big anti-ship bombs and not be a sitting duck, but no boat likes being set on fire and they'd probably be useful for normal bombing too, while being a lot simpler and more flexible then big giant boom bombs.

Other then that, I think we need to look at getting Tracers of our own out, or proper incendiary bullets if possible.

Edit : Also, we might want to think about actually doing an air show wing of our own, the enemy has been doing one for several turns now and I can't imagine they'd be keeping it up if they didn't get something from it worth not having a wing later on, and I want to at least see what we can get out of it before they out prestige us with airshows.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 06:31:16 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 14, 2018, 06:40:20 pm »

Revise would probably be better, though I would consider seeing if we can ask the navy for a torpedo so we can make proper torpedo bombers. As for tracers, we can revise them again and it should be fine. I agree with getting an air show though, we should get a fancy name and maybe we can have our ace temporarily have leave from the front line so he can be properly awarded for his heroics and also possibly talk to the media which should up our prestige even further than just the air shows. Besides, plenty of nations had ace pilots pulled from the front lines for publicity. (and fear of a moral hit if they died but that's besides the point) I still feel we should work on the African Swallow this turn though, it has two steps forward that we both have some work on so it shouldn't take more then 2 or 3 turns if we roll well, and it also should be quite effective.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 14, 2018, 07:18:19 pm »

Anyhow, back to the present phase.  PJ's biplane fighter seems fine as our project.

Since Quartermaster had a bit of a meltdown last turn, I've been mulling over Navy Requisitions:

Navy Requisition: Light Self-Propelled Torpedo
For development of an aerial dropped munition, the VSC kindly request light self-propelled torpedoes.  Although the system will likely require full re-engineering for aerial use, a system resilient to rough handling is preferable.

Navy Requisition: Naval Gunnery Sight
The VSC is currently using civilian hobbyist optics for artillery spotting from balloons.  A manportable naval gunnery sight would be a significant improvement.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 14, 2018, 07:23:31 pm »

lets ask the navy for the torpedo.

I am disappointed we've put the idea of ship-striking on the table, for as little help as it did.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 14, 2018, 07:34:10 pm »

Yeah, it was unfortunate that we wheren't able to do more, still, it never said what our losses where, and we now have warm relations with both the navy and the army, so it wasn't terrible. All in all the turn went quite well in fact. Also, since you said it seemed fine as our project you may want to add your vote, or something. Regardless, an idea is that we can make a version of the TAC R.M.3 with pontoons instead of wheels to give to the navy in a revision later when the aircraft is finished. Anyway I feel this turn will be a simple one, make our tracers, and make a torpedo, hopefully the Emu's can carry them, and we can launch a few strikes at the enemies ships.

Also, I say let the Kol's live if they bail out, it wouldn't be honorable, and if they are downed on our lines they can give us information
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 58