Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 58

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 59998 times)

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Late Winter 1915, Design Phase
« Reply #450 on: July 02, 2018, 10:38:51 am »

Anyhow, some nerdy nitpicking.  Our current synch gear design (The Fokker Stangensteuerung gear) can really only fire one gun per plane.  We'd basically have to make a next gen synch gear (drivershaft, hydraulic, or electro-mechanical) for multi gun setups.
Ah. I hadn't exactly read up on what our sync setup was like and assumed it was tied to the driveshaft. My bad.

The White Victor's push-pull engine setup is something that I'm not that hot about.  We're pre-hydraulics, so the pilot would have to be manually throttling two engines.  I don't know how that would work dogfighting, while also juggling his three guns and flight yoke.  Our pilots only have two arms you know.  It would work for a bomber or two seater, but you lost me when you claimed this could be a "nimble" single seater fighter.  Also we have zero "puller" engine experience and only "basic" pusher XP from the Emu.  Trying to force both to work, rather than just committing to one or the other seems like it would be more difficult.
I'd assume we could tie both engines to a single driveshaft, so I don't get why the fact we're pre-hydraulics is an issue here. Do tell me if there's something I'm missing though. Given that, I'd much rather turn the Victor into an attempt at a bulkier Nieuport and see if we can get it to go around 200 km/h.

Plus, that bomber option still holds.

The African Swallow is more conventional but the engine choice is questionable.  The whole advantage of radial engines is that they are easily aircooled so a well-engineered design shouldn't need any cooling system.  The disadvantage is the form-factor and thus drag.  (Not saying that it can't be aerodynamic though.  US WW2 fighters were mostly radial engines including the Hellcat and P-47 Thunderbolt.)  Inline and V's allow a tighter form factor and thus less drag.  Except low drag means air literally isn't rushing over the engine block.  You either have to induce airflow with scoops (adding drag) or just switch to a water-cooled system.  Aviation engines run high RPM so that's a lot of cooling that needs to be done.  So yeah, strangling an inline engine with weak cooling seems like a bad idea.  I'd either go radial or keep the water-cooling.

Agreed on this point.
Also, what are we doing for requisition?  My idea would be a trench periscope.  That way when we revise the bomb mounts to work with the Emu, we can add a bomb sight.  Otherwise that revision is pretty much going to be "GM, make the racks also work with the Emu please."
Likewise.
Anyhow, my vote is two dice to finish the synch gear, saving three for revisions.  One revision being the Sky Crusader armor, the second being bombmount+sight, third being whatever brainstorm we all come up with over the week.
Sky Crusader armor? Did I miss a proposal somewhere back? Furthermore, I believe a bomb mount on the Emu with a bombsight for a bomber variant would be useful if we can also throw in an engine revision to beef up the Emu, since we can't carry any meaningful bombload with the current setup (145 lb isn't anything to scoff at, but I doubt we're really fast when carrying them).
Noble Nafuni Engineer

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 02, 2018, 11:57:55 am »

Quote from: Sky Crusader Armour
Thirdly, to protect our pilots from frostbite and being uncomfortably cold, we shall issue them a new uniform. The new uniform has been nicknamed Sky Crusader Armour after an engineer mentioned it could protect from wind burn, anything getting into the eyes, neck chafing and even claimed that it could protect the wearer from fire to a minor extent, at least more than our current uniforms. It consists of a sheepskin jacket with inward facing wool, high collar, snug cuffs and waist, and multiple buttoned pockets. Leather pants, leather boots, leather gloves, and a leather helmet with flaps to protect the ears, and a balaclava mask to protect the face. Glass goggles to protect their eyes from wind, oil, rain, and other hazards. And lastly a colorful variety of silk scarves to protect the neck from chafing and to clean goggles with, though white ones are recommended for pilots to use so they can see anything soaked on it easier if they need to use it to wipe something off their goggles.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 12:06:54 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 02, 2018, 12:12:21 pm »

The Emu can carry 4 of our 75 lb bombs, I would agree on making the engine better for it so it can be faster and carry a bigger bomb load but its not a drastic issue. Also I edited the swallow, feel free to offer criticism.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 02, 2018, 02:57:17 pm »

The Emu can carry 4 of our 75 lb bombs, I would agree on making the engine better for it so it can be faster and carry a bigger bomb load but its not a drastic issue. Also I edited the swallow, feel free to offer criticism.

That means it's bombload is regularly 300 lb, which isn't something to scoff at given the time period, but I wonder how fast it is with that kind of load and what I assume is between a 60 and an 80 hp engine. Perhaps we could revision in a new engine for both the Emu and the Rhino in the form of an 18-cylinder 2-row radial engine cranking out between 250 and 350 hp for when we REALLY need to go fast / carry a lot of stuff relatively quickly.

I still can't find anything on people not being able to run two engines down a common crankshaft. An example of this is the DDr.I, for which this is also a good link (Ctrl+F to search for Throttle, then go down to the more expansive document).
Noble Nafuni Engineer

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 02, 2018, 03:21:02 pm »

I don't think a radial engine would be a good idea for the emu seeing how you would have to replace the area that old inline engine was with wood and canvas and the center of mass would be shifted which can cause issues for landing
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 02, 2018, 10:20:02 pm »

Ngl, I'm not particularly thrilled with any of the proposed designs thus far.  I might post my own design in a bit.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 02, 2018, 10:49:21 pm »

eS, we shouldn't do a design this turn, we should just finish our Synchro gear and then do some revisions. Also, what don't you like about the African Swallow?

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 03, 2018, 05:42:53 am »

we shouldn't do a design this turn, we should just finish our Synchro gear
Yup if we do a synchro gear we can incorporate it in future planes but if we start designing another plane right now we'll have to revise it in.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 03, 2018, 01:29:37 pm »

Quote from: Votes
1 die to crossguard (0):
2 die to crossguard (1): Piratejoe
2 die to crossguard and start work on Harkiss RV.1 (2): Thanik, NAV
2 die to crossguard and start work on TAC R.M.3 (0):

Updating the votebox would be much appreciated! As a reminder, you have 5 dice this turn, and need 3 to start a project.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 03, 2018, 01:40:18 pm »

1 die to crossguard (0):
2 die to crossguard (2): Piratejoe, NAV
2 die to crossguard and start work on Harkiss RV.1 (1): Thanik

Updating the votebox would be much appreciated! As a reminder, you have 5 dice this turn, and need 3 to start a project.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 03, 2018, 01:44:10 pm »

1 die to crossguard (0):
2 die to crossguard (3): Piratejoe, NAV, eS
2 die to crossguard and start work on Harkiss RV.1 (1): Thanik

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 03, 2018, 01:54:14 pm »

1 die to crossguard (0):
2 die to crossguard (4): Piratejoe, NAV, eS, Thanik
2 die to crossguard and start work on Harkiss RV.1 (0):
Noble Nafuni Engineer

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 03, 2018, 02:59:08 pm »

1 die to crossguard (0):
2 die to crossguard (5): Piratejoe, NAV, eS, Thanik, Conscript Five
FYI I'm going on vacation so my research and writing are going to be limited this turn.

Army Requisition: Trench Periscope (for bombsight development

For the purposes of improving our aerial bombardment capabilities, the VSC requests trench periscopes.  These periscopes will be reengineered into bombsights.  The periscopes must have high quality optics and mirrors, of little to no magnification.  A monocular system would be preferred over binocular.  A system already with a crosshair would also be preferred.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 03, 2018, 03:01:49 pm »

I like the periscope requisition. Also conscript can you give me criticism on the African Swallow since I changed it? Well, anyone anyway, not just conscript.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 03, 2018, 05:11:39 pm »

1 die to crossguard (0):
2 die to crossguard (5): Piratejoe, NAV, eS, Thanik, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 58